Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ShapeShifter 1.5

ShapeShifter 1.5 (Page 3)
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
Remember, Xtender is more than a theme changer. Its a competing program for APE.
Will Xtender play nice with APE? I would hate to hose my system because Xtender and APE conflicted with each other.

Mike

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2004, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
We all know colin. He's been doing theme crap for as long as I can remember.
I think the point wickedfour is trying to make is that many themers have spoken to jason, through email, aim, the forums, whatever. He's an approachable voice that is very open to themers... just the kind of thing that everyone wants. Colin has been around for a while, there's no questioning that, but he just doesn't seem to have the same rapport. That can change in the future of course, it just isn't anywhere near the same level as Jason now.
DigitalRamen sucks.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2004, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Will Xtender play nice with APE? I would hate to hose my system because Xtender and APE conflicted with each other.

Mike
I have both APE and Xtender running right now. My ShapeShifter trial has run out so I can't try and see which one actually changes the theme if they both are enabled. I haven't run into any problems though running both at once.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by wibs:
I think the point wickedfour is trying to make is that many themers have spoken to jason, through email, aim, the forums, whatever. He's an approachable voice that is very open to themers... just the kind of thing that everyone wants. Colin has been around for a while, there's no questioning that, but he just doesn't seem to have the same rapport. That can change in the future of course, it just isn't anywhere near the same level as Jason now.
of course themers are going to talk to Jason, he's the one that makes the app that lets you make the themes for os x. would you rather talk to the person about features they would like to see for theme modifying, or the person that makes the theme changer? i you really want to talk to someone who can change things, you talk to the person that makes the app that lets you make the themes, not the person that lets you apply the themes. up until now, colin hasn't made a theme builder, just a theme changer. there is a big difference between those two things.

and i dont think colin has hyped his products. saying that he is working on something and what it will do is not hyping something.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by wibs:
I think one difficulty that has to do with this is the new Carpe Stellarem organization. I'm managing anything that has to do with themes. With have an engine designer writing the Xtender engine, who deals with themes, but not nearly as much as I. We then have two additional members that are not touching themes at all.

Personally I've delt a lot with theme creators. Right now I'm dealing a lot with drumming up support for ThemeKit and Xtender mod programming, which means I'm talking a lot with various programmers who are interested in programming with our software. Themes have had to take the back burner until Catalyst is finished. I should be getting the latest version of the code today in exchange for the latest build of our game engine. At this point we can look at public beta's of Catalyst, and put some concentration back into themes. I have been doing limited testing of Xtender itself and its non-theme functionality among some developers in the OS X community.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2004, 02:06 PM

I have both APE and Xtender running right now. My ShapeShifter trial has run out so
Oh go on and buy it

NY152
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
And you should keep quiet, something called an NDA no?
phillryu everytime I see you post it's always a "motherly reminder."

Bored?
<over-large signature edited by management>

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
Xtender's claimed feature set is great, if it ever sees the light of day in its claimed form, it will be something great. That is the biggest hurdle Colin has to get over to this day. An actual, realized publicly vouchable product which meets all its internally generated hype.
Sounds like goMac and BBX need to hook up for a date or somethin.

bombil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2004, 05:54 PM

Does anyone have a serial number for it??? I just want to try it out, but everytime i try to install to my mac, it says that i need a serial code. I promice that i will buy one if i like the product!
Thanks!!

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by bombil:
Does anyone have a serial number for it??? I just want to try it out, but everytime i try to install to my mac, it says that i need a serial code. I promice that i will buy one if i like the product!
Thanks!!

Common guys, you gotta admit this guy had guts to post here with that insane request!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

digitaljames
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 06:06 PM

Yep, pretty ballsy...must be the same guy who visits a.b.m.s.n....

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 11:46 PM

Xtender has always had a release date of late March. We're right on track.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

Makki
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 12:30 AM

Oh umm hmm uhh let see err XTender whoo?
LMAO

Holigen
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 12:34 AM

Right on track... Right...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

underwood
Forum Regular
May 28, 2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Holigen:
Right on track... Right...
vapor?

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2004, 07:42 AM

I have the serial number.

Tarambana
Forum Regular
May 28, 2004, 08:06 AM

Funny. Didn't notice they were two months after the scheduled date. I wonder if it will be out before Tiger hits the stores. Indeed, hope so.

BTW, does anyone know how long has already taken for them to code the installler?

(I mean, as it was saiid to be the only thing left before the product's release)

iNeusch
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Tarambana:

Funny. Didn't notice they were two months after the scheduled date. I wonder if it will be out before Tiger hits the stores. Indeed, hope so.
In fact it's a bundle release with Longhorn for mac

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2004, 04:28 PM

I think maybe he really meant to say March of 2005, or maybe 2006... I dunno.

I hate to say it, but I'm probably not going to give this software even the slightest look-see even if they do actually produce it � just because of this whole mess. That, and their web site is horrible!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 06:34 PM

DUDE IT'S THE NEXT BBXM +1 THREAD!!!!

+1!

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2004, 07:01 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/Duality.jpg

Now can I get back to work? TY.

If you feel really stalkerish or halfway obsessive about the release date you can check my blog for what I'm up to at http://gomac.blogspot.com I'm perfectly aware the web site has "issues", that is also mentioned on my blog from a few weeks ago.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2004, 10:41 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/Duality.jpg

Now can I get back to work? TY.

If you feel really stalkerish or halfway obsessive about the release date you can check my blog for what I'm up to at http://gomac.blogspot.com I'm perfectly aware the web site has "issues", that is also mentioned on my blog from a few weeks ago.
Dude ... just set 10.4, or better yet 10.5, as your target OS for Xtender. Then if it ever does come out earlier than that, we'll all be pleasently surprised
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2004, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by olorin15:
Dude ... just set 10.4, or better yet 10.5, as your target OS for Xtender. Then if it ever does come out earlier than that, we'll all be pleasently surprised
How constructive.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2004, 03:51 AM

How constructive.
I'm still waiting for something constructive from you ... March's long gone my friend. Time to meet some deadlines, or accept the truth and postpone XTender indefinitely ...
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by olorin15:
I'm still waiting for something constructive from you ... March's long gone my friend. Time to meet some deadlines, or accept the truth and postpone XTender indefinitely ...
The team had some personal issues which set us back in development. Normal development has resumed.

With development continuing without issue I don't see any reason to postpone indefinitely an already working program.

kovacs
Mac Elite
May 30, 2004, 12:27 PM

The team had some personal issues which set us back in development. Normal development has resumed.

With development continuing without issue I don't see any reason to postpone indefinitely an already working program.

He's back

Tarambana
Forum Regular
May 30, 2004, 12:38 PM

Colin, I don't want to sound too harsh, but maybe you should think of changing your signature: "� Xtender: Stop Monkeying Around, Coming Mid April
�" - Now, we are almost in june, which, of course goes after april and may and there is no Xtender but a public beta.

If you don't mind me giving you some advice: stop giving dates (features are fine IMO), just work the whole project out, and only when you have it, give a release date.

Regards.

Tarambana
Forum Regular
May 30, 2004, 12:48 PM

Also, I was wondering about the screenshot you have just posted (http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/Duality.jpg). I can only see (on the window application), two tabs besides "about", one for the "Appereance" & the other one for "Window behaviour"; yet, in the insider on macthemes (http://www.macthemes.net/articles/in...198.php?page=1) there were four tabs: one reading "icons", the other "Livetheme".

As they are not shown on the most actual photo, does that mean the icons and livetheme functions wont make it to the 1.0 release?

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2004, 05:28 PM

Also, I was wondering about the screenshot you have just posted (http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/Duality.jpg). I can only see (on the window application), two tabs besides "about", one for the "Appereance" & the other one for "Window behaviour"; yet, in the insider on macthemes (http://www.macthemes.net/articles/in...198.php?page=1) there were four tabs: one reading "icons", the other "Livetheme".

As they are not shown on the most actual photo, does that mean the icons and livetheme functions wont make it to the 1.0 release?
The decision on that has yet to be made. It depends on whether or not we are going to work with 3rd parties that are already established in those areas. We've already been in talks with various groups.

LiveTheme is being redone and most likely a button will be on the theme panel.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2004, 03:09 PM

Also, I was wondering about the screenshot you have just posted (http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/Duality.jpg)...
I was looking at them and wondering what exactly I'm supposed to be looking at. All I see are a bunch of normal Aqua windows that could just as easily be photoshoped in. The pref pane that is the alleged theme switcher looks like nothing more than an altered file dialog box.

The public beta was a complete joke, since it doesn't work and there are no themes available for it.

I would really like to take you and the company you work with/for seriously, but after all this hype and promises, all you have to say is "sorry, we had personal problems."

If I were you, I would look for a day job. But best of luck anyway.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 07:52 PM

That build has been making its rounds with the testers...

The second public beta is holding at the last final candidate right now awaiting approval from our lead programmer.

The first public beta was operational, but there were issues with the installer not installing the program properly. We have been rigorously testing the installer for about the past week now ironing out issues. I don't expect it will be a problem.

Photoshoped? We'll see in the next few days...

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
May 31, 2004, 08:12 PM

We'll see in the next few days...
If we go by the book, will days be as months Mr. Savik?

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by :dragonflypro::
If we go by the book, will days be as months Mr. Savik?
It really all depends on when Dave gets back online so he can ok the release.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2004, 08:20 PM

Is it just me, or can this thing apply guiKits? Isn't that... illegal or something...

cory5412
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2004, 01:22 AM

My TiBook with panther seems to have Duality and XTender working fine. I am not sure what version, I know that Gomac sent it to me just the other day, so I should be running the current version?

Anyhow, I am running it with the MilkX scheme, it seems fine.

I'd suggest giving GoMac a break, I've been working on a project to be release publicly before (albeit, not theming software) and have had delays, It really takes up more time for the developer and causes much frustration for him if there are people constantly badgering them about this'nthat.

Is there a forum where maybe discussion about Duality can take place? Such as on the developer's website? Then I can imagine that he checks that daily, if not more often, for feedback on the product.

I need to get a few decent screenshots and uplaod them to my webspace, I am not good with photoshop at all.

So far, other than a few small issues it seems to work nicely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules