Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Noob needs helps...

Noob needs helps...
boysss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 12:08 AM

Hi guys.

Just got my PB for a week, still in the learning process. I cant seem to play quicktime on full screen. The zoom options that I have are: half, normal and double. I also tried to shortcut command+F and ctr+F but they didnt work. I updated QT to the latest version. Lastly, do you guys know any free, fast and efficient download manager? I am still on 56k so the resume function in dlding is extremely important to me. Thanks for all your helps.

p/s: I cant help myself falling deeply in love with my PB more and more. I actually sleep with it everynite.

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 12:20 AM

You have to upgrade to QuickTime Pro in order to playback video full screen. Try using VLC instead if you don't want to pay for the QT Pro upgrade.

boysss  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 12:20 AM

Besides, I never can cut a file then paste to somewhere else. The cut under edit is dimmed all the times. command + x does not help either. Thanks.

t4r1q
Aug 24, 2004, 12:50 AM

Cut is not supported in Finder

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by t4r1q:
Cut is not supported in Finder
for icons in the get info window cut sure is supported.

yeah, you have to buy a qt pro license to get fullscreen. go with vlc i dont know what qt pro really offers that you use in a day to day context besides fullscreen.

boysss  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 01:36 AM

Thanks for the inputs. I dlded VLC and it worked. I can play all encoded files in full screen now. COOL. Do you know how to make VLC my default player? With Mac OSX, everything is like in front of my eyes but I can not see it. :-/

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 02:33 AM

to make vlc the default player, right click or apple click a file (for example, an AVI file), then go to "get info" in the right click menu. a window should come up, showing you the name, the size, the kind, and even a preview of the movie / clip. there should be a section that says "open with". it may have a little carat/carrot/triangle thingy that you can click on. this triangle will show / hide options. when you have it showing player options, choose VLC from the list. Then underneath, you will see the words "Use this application to open all documents like this." Underneath that, you will find a button. click on it, and all files of that filetype will be opened by VLC by default. Now all AVI (for example) files will be opened by VLC. Now repeat with other file types. maybe there are better ways of doing this .. but I am new to OSX myself .. and I'm loving the experience.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

boysss  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 07:34 PM

Thanks Lancer. I figured that out by the time I read your post . I used windoze conventional way, open with -> choose VLC -> tick "always open by this application".

PB lover

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 01:56 AM

i like how u ended your post ... reminds me of me! ... and every other pb lover ... unless you meant peanut butter .. in which case .. i'm going to hunt you down =P ..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 06:23 AM

FWIW, if you just want to change the default application on a per file basis, in the Finder, control click the file's icon. One of the options in the subsequent contextual menu is "Open With" from which you can select the app to open the file with. If you press the option key at this point, it will change to "Always Open With"

Another way to temporarily open a file in a different application is to command-option drag and drop its icon over that app's icon (in the Finder or the Dock) which will then attempt to open it.

HTH

Also fwiw, QT pro also has basic editing capabilities (for cropping etc) but be warned that whenever Apple update to a new full version of QT, you have to buy yet another licence for it (which is appalling IMNSHO).

boysss  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
i like how u ended your post ... reminds me of me! ... and every other pb lover ... unless you meant peanut butter .. in which case .. i'm going to hunt you down =P ..
haha, I am kinda old for peanut butter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules