Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New Type of Spam... hijacks Safari?

New Type of Spam... hijacks Safari?
Sosa
Senior User
Apr 15, 2005, 11:54 AM

So I'm checking my Yahoo web email when I get to a typical drug spam message. When I click on the "spam" button on top, it takes me to the drug website link! In fact, clicking anywhere in that tab in Safari does this! My other tabs were not affected.

Has Safari been cracked or is it Yahoo mail that's been affected?

I'll send you the spam email if you wish to check yourself.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2005, 12:07 PM

I'd have to see it to be sure, but the javascript would have to be doing something to target the web site, not your browser. It may even be possible that they're using a high-level event-based attack that would work similarly for all web email.

That's the way I'd do it, anyway.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2005, 08:46 AM

I agree with CubeWannaB on this one. Most likely, what you're dealing with is a JavaScript-based attack on Yahoo Mail, not Safari. This same sort of attack will affect other browsers as well.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules