Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you drink wine?

Do you drink wine?
Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 2, 2005, 12:35 AM

What type do you like red or white? I like red wine. Usually most bottles over 10 dollars are good.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2005, 12:39 AM

Yes, right now. What a coincidence.

Prefer red. White goes well with fresh white asparagus though. Yum.

-t

Cubeoid  (op)
Baninated
Oct 2, 2005, 12:47 AM

Me too. Which is why I made the thread. I am drinking a Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Shiraz Cabernett. What a fantastic co-incidence, two weirdos drinking wine on opposite sides of the globe. Simply awesome.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2005, 12:51 AM

Cabernet Sauvignon here. Nothing special, just something to get asleep. MacNN helps, too

-t

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2005, 12:58 AM

Jordan Cab, 5 finger discount

just a glass thusfar, I may/may not go out in a bit.

good wine
ice

Cubeoid  (op)
Baninated
Oct 2, 2005, 12:59 AM

If you do, be careful. There are madmen out there.

Ω
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 01:19 AM

I currently have about 150 bottles in my cellar. My prized possessions would be my Grange 96 and Bollinger Pinot 96 (still, not the champers). Thinking about having a 1996 taste off sometime soon.....
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Railroader
Banned
Oct 2, 2005, 01:36 AM

I like wine under US$15 a bottle. Seriously. Anything else seems EXTREMELY pretentious.

Mostly, I like reds. The drier and more robust the better. However, a wine I rarely see, but thoroughly enjoy is Niagra.

A friend makes wine and I have really enjoyed everything he has made so far. Plus he can make a good port VERY cheaply and it is excellent.

Michigan is an excellent wine region of the US. There are a lot of small wineries around here. I love a good wine tasting festival.

My wife is from Traverse City, MI and her favorite isChateau Chantal Reisling.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 02:24 AM

I can't stand any type of wine, no matter the cost. They all taste like Vinegar to me.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Cubeoid  (op)
Baninated
Oct 2, 2005, 02:57 AM

I wonder if IceEnclosure went out or not.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 02:59 AM

LOL!11 Wine is for the ladies.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 03:00 AM

I don't. I don't drink any kind of Alcohol.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
Me too. Which is why I made the thread. I am drinking a Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Shiraz Cabernett. What a fantastic co-incidence, two weirdos drinking wine on opposite sides of the globe. Simply awesome.

I was drinking that last night, Wolf Blass is great too.

Red is my thing, I drink it most evenings.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
I was drinking that last night, Wolf Blass is great too.

Red is my thing, I drink it most evenings.
I also happen to enjoy the Wolf Blass.

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 2, 2005, 03:53 AM

White.
something sweet and crisp like a gewurztraminer or a riesling. a pinot grigio or a sauvignon blanc will do as well.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Oct 2, 2005, 04:10 AM

What type do you like red or white? I like red wine. Usually most bottles over 10 dollars are good.
I live in a region where very good wine grows (mostly white). So I often have wine for dinner (sometimes also afterwards ). Here you get good wine well below 10€. The trick is to find very good wine at a reasonable price.

In the moment I have a bottle of red zinfandel open (Kendall-Jackson, 2000). Last week we had an italien 2003 Vertigo (Livio Felluga, a blend of Merlot and Cabernet-Sauvignon). Both great, both well above 13 €.

But most of the time I drink the local white burgundy.

What is your experience with french wines? 20 years ago they were first class, but nowadays most of the time it is extremely expensive acid.

Alcoholica
Oct 2, 2005, 04:14 AM

If it's white, and sweet. Red, for some reason, tastes like cheese to me.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 04:18 AM

I'm into Californian, have been for awhile. Beringer is a long-standing favorite producer. They make a nice zinfandel blush that's nice on a hot summers day.

J

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 04:20 AM

yes

my favorites are Riesling or Gewurztraminer

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Warung
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 04:28 AM

Red wine from Argentina or Chile is my favorite at the moment.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2005, 05:16 AM

wine is fine. 'specially the reds.
i loves me some wine.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Warung
Red wine from Argentina or Chile is my favorite at the moment.

i second that.My dad imported 2 cases earlier in the year of chilean wine.Were down to one case now
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
I can't stand any type of wine, no matter the cost. They all taste like Vinegar to me.
Same. Well, not necessarily vinegar specifically, but definitely undrinkable. But that's more just the alcohol in it than the fact that it's wine in particular.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2005, 10:41 AM

I'm at my school job now, but in a couple of hours I will be going to my studio to work. And there waits for me a nice bottle of Chambourcin from Chatea Morisette in SW Virgina. A good full bodied dry red.
D@mn you people for making me think of it while I sit here fixing Windoze machines belonging to people who like to torture themselves.
SAm

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
I also happen to enjoy the Wolf Blass.
Yummmmm, the Wolf Blass Cab President's selection is one of my favorites, ah, oh, so good.

Originally Posted by Demonhood
White.
something sweet and crisp like a gewurztraminer or a riesling. a pinot grigio or a sauvignon blanc will do as well.
Same here.. Have you tried the Rosemount Estate GTR? It's a blend of gewurztraminer and riesling, very full and smooth.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 11:57 AM

I'm a big red fan, particularly spanish.

Tempranillo is my fav grape, Rioja my fav region.

Campo Viejo Gran Reserva 99 would be my favourite bottle, 99 is a good vintage for tempranillos.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 12:32 PM

Love wine; usually have a glass with dinner. Sometimes two. On occasion, more.

I usually prefer red, but depending on the meal, white can be preferable. Opened a cheap tempranillo the other night—365 (Whole Foods) branded, delivering decent wine for about $6–$7.

I was also quite impressed with a Château de Caraguilhes (2000 Corbieres) that I opened last week...

Went perfect with a medium-rare dry-aged steak. On special for $10 when usually priced at $15–$17; it was a real steal—bought another bottle to save for later this year (it's just coming into its prime)
( Last edited by Stradlater; Oct 2, 2005 at 01:14 PM. )
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 12:38 PM

Occasionally. I prefer a red, sweeter wine.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 12:49 PM

I am NOT drinking MERLOT!!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan

Classic.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 01:01 PM

Personally, I tend to like sweet, white wines, especially Muscat - or Moscato - wine (which, BTW, is very good to drink also stand-alone - but not too much of it at once, of course!):

( Last edited by Sven G; Oct 2, 2005 at 01:08 PM. )

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
Same. Well, not necessarily vinegar specifically, but definitely undrinkable. But that's more just the alcohol in it than the fact that it's wine in particular.
you must be drinking some shitty wine then

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
great line, i like the line his buddy says all the time "tastes pretty good to me"

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
"No matter the cost"? What expensive wines have displeased you?

Wine, admittedly, is an acquired taste -- you usually need to get used to the flavor before you truly like it. Devote a few months to having a glass-a-day of decent wine, and by the end you'll probably love it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Wine, admittedly, is an acquired taste -- you usually need to get used to the flavor before you truly like it. Devote a few months to having a glass-a-day of decent wine, and by the end you'll probably love it.
But why would you want to do that? Why would you want to go through months of drinking something you don't like, when you can just as well live without it completely? I've always wondered why people do that, both with most kinds of alcohol and with cigarettes and lots of other stuff... if you don't like it and it's not necessary, why not just not drink/eat/use it?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
you must be drinking some shitty wine then
As you can perhaps tell from my post right above this one, I don't drink any wine at all. My taste buds are overly sensitive and completely disapproving of anything that contains even the smallest amount of alcohol. The presence of any alcohol just makes whatever it is it's in completely undrinkable/inedible/uningestible to me.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
But why would you want to do that? Why would you want to go through months of drinking something you don't like, when you can just as well live without it completely? I've always wondered why people do that, both with most kinds of alcohol and with cigarettes and lots of other stuff... if you don't like it and it's not necessary, why not just not drink/eat/use it?
Why work hard for anything? Personally, I think variety is the spice of life, and I usually give food more than one chance before discounting it. Wine shouldn't take months to appreciate/like -- but after months most people _will_ love it. A couple weeks of wine every day can usually bring someone's palate up to par.

Complex beverages -- good espresso, good wine, good beer -- aren't immediately something that people appreciate. But after people learn to enjoy them -- after their tongues can dissect the flavors and savor them -- they're the most enjoyable beverages of all.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2005, 01:44 PM

I wonder if IceEnclosure went out or not.

I did not. Smoked a bowl, had another glass, called it a night.
ice

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2005, 02:29 PM

I love red wine. Anything between $7-$15 is great. Cheap stuff is good too.

Cubeoid  (op)
Baninated
Oct 2, 2005, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
I did not. Smoked a bowl, had another glass, called it a night.
Cubeoid approves.

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 02:43 PM

I prefer a good Australian Shiraz (or Syrah as they call it here) to the local wine. South African and south American wines can be excellent too. I also enjoy the Jamaican 'wine' as sampled by IceEnclosure.

Edit: Local=French
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2005, 02:59 PM

If another french tourist comes in and orders George DuBouf (sp?) I'm gonna crack it over their noggin.

I dun like french wines
ice

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 03:08 PM

I'm a Merlot fan. Beringer is about my price point. Went there on a trip to Napa Valley. A Walk in the Clouds was filmed there.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 2, 2005, 03:26 PM

I like a variety of wines. Mostly I like wines that are not so dry that they lack fruit flavors, but if a dry wine is indicated (a burgundy goes well with heavy foods like beef) I go with it. I don't like dry champagne, but I just found a bottle of Moet & Chadon Nectar Imperial, so I'm set for New Years!

I do not go for "pretentious labels" at all; it has to be a wine with flavor. Oh, and tests have shown that unless you drink the whole bottle in one sitting, wine lasts better in those box packages. What a kick in the head for "purists!"

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Oh, and tests have shown that unless you drink the whole bottle in one sitting, wine lasts better in those box packages. What a kick in the head for "purists!"
That really depends. An old red that needs aeration will be better _after_ it's been open for awhile (hours/day, not days/weeks).

Another "kick": wine bottles with screw tops or bottle caps usually store better than the classic cork.

The problem is that good wine is rarely packaged in any of those forms.

Volks
Oct 2, 2005, 04:56 PM

At crucial points in the novel, a twitch occurs, and Jack assigns it significant importance. Later in the novel, Jack briefly espouses the belief that all life is "The Great Twitch".
( Last edited by Volks; Jan 30, 2006 at 12:13 AM. )

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Volks
No, I don't drink wine. I have tried it, and it's really disgusting. Plus the alcohol will damage your liver and brain. I think most people drink it not because they like it, but because of social pressure and the media.
Yeah, that peer pressure to drink wine is just unbearable. Man, I can't go a day without being offered wine by at least eight different people. What a world. And that media, sheesh let me tell you everytime I turn on the T.V., they're forcing me to drink wine.

But O.T. wine is an acquired taste. It is something that complements a great meal like no other beverage. If you are having the best meal of your life, would you want to wash it down with water or a soda? Well, maybe you non-wine drinkers would, but after you have expeirenced all of the different sublteties and flavors that wine has to offer, it seems ridiculous to drink anything but wine with a great meal at, say a 4 star restaurant or any other place with great food and wine selections.

However, I am not much of a wine drinker unless it is with excellent meals. If I feel like a drink any other time, I usually go for a beer or something. And if I feel like no drinks, I follow IceEnclosure's advice and smoke some bowls. That's always fun .

Volks
Oct 2, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb
Yeah, that peer pressure to drink wine is just unbearable. Man, I can't go a day without being offered wine by at least eight different people. What a world. And that media, sheesh let me tell you everytime I turn on the T.V., they're forcing me to drink wine.

But O.T. wine is an acquired taste. It is something that complements a great meal like no other beverage. If you are having the best meal of your life, would you want to wash it down with water or a soda? Well, maybe you non-wine drinkers would, but after you have expeirenced all of the different sublteties and flavors that wine has to offer, it seems ridiculous to drink anything but wine with a great meal at a 4 star restaurant.
That's just it. Eating is not an "experience" for many people. I prefer not to have my food handled by others preparing it to be eaten. Eating at a 4 star restaurant has zero value to me. "Art on a plate" or food pornography is not very appealing. Clean, raw food with no salt, sugar, or spices is the best.

But getting back to the orignial topic, the alcohol in wine damages your body. Alcohol is a poison. Why would you choose to ingest a poison?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 05:25 PM

That's just it. Eating is not an "experience" for many people. I prefer not to have my food handled by others preparing it to be eaten. Eating at a 4 star restaurant has zero value to me. "Art on a plate" or food pornography is not very appealing. Clean, raw food with no salt, sugar, or spices is the best.
You don't cook or season your food? Do you eat meat? Do you eat all of your vegetables raw?

But getting back to the orignial topic, the alcohol in wine damages your body. Alcohol is a poison. Why would you choose to ingest a poison?
Anything is a poison in large enough doses. Wine is a poison; water is a poison.

Wine in smaller doses (one glass or two a day) is perfectly fine and in fact beneficial to health.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 05:28 PM

But also for many people, eating is an expeirence. If you go to a restaurant such as Ruth's Chris, I would call that an expeierence. And wine enhances that expeirence.

I am not saying alcohol is good for you. But are you telling me you don't ever drink caffeine or anything like that? And if you are one of those all natural tofu eating tree loving hippes (no offense to anyone out there) then obviously your opinion about wine and alcohol in general are going to be different from the vast majority of people's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules