Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Microsoft Frontpage Mac

Microsoft Frontpage Mac
jamesl
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 09:53 AM

Hi

I need to use microsoft front page for one of my projects at university. However, I understand that there is no mac OS X version available, and also understadn that there are no plans to make one avaiuable.

I have seen on ebay version 1.0 which requires classic mode to be used. I am considering buying an old version like this, so that I dont need to use virtual pc. However, can anybody confirm whether this incluldes the majory of features found in more recent features, or is it incredibly out of date?

Does anybbody know if there are any plans to make a versioln available in the future?

Tnanks for your help!

Macola
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 10:00 AM

Any version of FrontPage is a POS, but the earlier versions are especially horrible. Bad syntax, awful HTML, incorrectly nested tags, etc....

Why not just learn HTML and CSS?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

P
Oct 4, 2005, 11:22 AM

Frontpage 1.0, the one for Mac OS, is very much out of date. That version is an infamous one that breaks good code and replaces it with stuff that only works on MS serves with all of the insecure features (eg the original ASP) enabled and left in the most insecure mode possible. Anything but the most trivial code requires the use of deprecated insecure MS functions. Do not use. Ever.

Frontpage for Windows is by far the worst HTML editor on the market today, but it's at least not as insecure as 1.0. Investigate if you absolutely have to use such a horrible program and why. If you really really do, then use VPC.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2005, 12:45 AM

is this some kind of joke?
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

OreoCookie
Oct 7, 2005, 03:48 AM

Do a search on Dreamweaver or Adobe GoLive. And you'll find out that these are the industry standard tools on both platforms.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Oct 7, 2005, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by jamesl
Hi

I need to use microsoft front page for one of my projects at university. However, I understand that there is no mac OS X version available, and also understadn that there are no plans to make one avaiuable.
I used Frontpage on Windows years ago and I support the others opinions: It is a very bad tool.

BBedit has nice html support build in and has the advantage that you work with the html code instead of dragging and dropping text and pictures. Thus you can start with little html/css knowledge and you will become better and better while building your sites, because you work directly with the code.

This way of working is the best in my opinion. You control the quality of the code but the tool does the annoying work for you.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 07:35 AM

Hi

I have seen on ebay version 1.0 which requires classic mode to be used. I am considering buying an old version like this, so that I dont need to use virtual pc. However, can anybody confirm whether this incluldes the majory of features found in more recent features, or is it incredibly out of date?

Does anybbody know if there are any plans to make a versioln available in the future?

Tnanks for your help!
I've never used version 1 of the mac flavor but I can almost guarantee it will not have the tools you need to use. While others mentioned that its a POS and golive/dreamweaver are better. If you need to use it for a project then I'd say go one of two routes. Pick up a really cheap pc or buy vpc for your mac. VPC may be too slow and for a little more money you can probably buy a pc.

To be honest I used frontpage (pc version) a long time ago and it did what I needed it to do, I now use go live and I've been happy with that. Cleaner html, better ability to do what I want it to do, not what front page wants to do.

good luck
Mike

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2005, 07:56 AM

Yup, what Mike said. Go Live is good (I've heard), but I personally use Dreamweaver. I got used to it on the PC end, and when I got my Mac, it was just that much easier of a transition sticking with dreamweaver.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

chris-p
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2005, 01:36 PM

try Nvu, its a free wysiwyg html editor. Not to the standard of Dreamweaver, but good enough given the price... and streets ahead of frontpage.

http://www.nvu.com/

AceVentura101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 12:49 PM

Hi

Thanks for your help!
I WOULD BUY VPC To Extend the range of what you can do software wise,
you would have 2 of the worlds most famous OS's on your 1 MAC!!!!
-My System- AMD64x2 4800+2.2GHz, 1GIG Ram, nVidia 6800GT, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM, 80GIG HD, 32in Samsung LCD TV , Altec Lansing(251)5.1 sound..My VID card with DOOM3..SWEET

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2005, 11:10 AM

I don't see the point of spending money to be able to run the Worst HTML Editor Known To Man when there are superb native applications out there.

tooki

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2005, 11:31 AM

What I don't understand is why companies and some "Web Designers" INSIST on still using Frontpage for web development. It's Crap.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2005, 02:22 PM

Oh, and if they tell you FunkPage is an absolute requirement, just take a look at what headers it embeds and copy them over to the code you've produced in a superior application.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2005, 02:55 PM

Do you actually have to use FrontPage? As in, is it part of the instructions for the project? If not, then there are many other options available to you, including just hand-coding the HTML.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2005, 05:06 PM

This looks at first glance like a "let's bash FrontPage" thread. It is, and it should be. FrontPage is a terrible tool because among other things it doesn't even emit vaguely standard HTML. An extremely simple "Hello World" type web page (maybe 10 lines including verbose comments in standard HTML) can take up scores of lines of code and incolve tons of stupid, unnecessary stuff.

There are free options, the simplest of which is using a basic text editor and your web browser-create in the editor, save, and then preview in the browser. Everything else is "ease of use" gravy. Choose ANY other tool than FrontPage, but insist that it produce STANDARD HTML.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2005, 10:52 PM

FrontPage *snort* for Mac.

*spills milk all over the keyboard*

But seriously: NO!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2005, 11:22 PM

Not to be snide, but (out of curiousity) is there really a "University" that uses Front Page? Can't possibly be an IS Dept course, can it?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2005, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet
Not to be snide, but (out of curiousity) is there really a "University" that uses Front Page? Can't possibly be an IS Dept course, can it?
I doubt this is likely, unless the teacher is really bad and wont learn another tool.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2005, 02:58 AM

Any course that demands you use Front page is a course you need to ask for your money back on.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
I doubt this is likely, unless the teacher is really bad and wont learn another tool.
I had such classes... where the teacher would require us to use OLD non-standard applications. She and I would constantly argue because she would have inaccurate information in her notes.

She FORCED us to use M$ Paint for a project... and M$ Publisher (ICK) and wouldn't let us use Photoshop or Quark.

Small minded IMHO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules