Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Convince me to buy an Ibook, questions inside.

Convince me to buy an Ibook, questions inside.
astnfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 05:26 AM

Hi there,

I want an ultra portable, and the sony t series is a rip off, the dell x1 doesnt have built in optical, and there havent been any others that have really impressed me much.

So I look to apple to see if they can supply what I need. If anyone with an Ibook 12" G4 1.33MHZ can help me out I would appreciate it.

The following are questions which will guide me in my decision to buy a mac. Please answer them honestly, I know you are all mac users, but please be objective with your information. The following questions refer only to the Ibook G4 12" with the 1.33 Ghz 512RAM shown as is on apples website.

1. Is there C++/Java programming software/compilers available for macs?

2. What is the most graphics intensive game you have been able to play flawlessly on the ibook?

3. Can I realisticly do basic to mid level video editing with this machine? I mean be able to encode files, cut them up, etc. Nothing super advanced. If so, can I save my files in mpeg, avi, wmv and other non .mov formats and what software do I need to do this?

4. Is it possible to change the color of the ibook, I want an all black one, if so how hard is it?

5. Is it hard to transfer files from PC to mac wirelessly using 802.11g?

6. I hear it is noisy when playing DVDs, is this true?

7. Is DVD playtback smooth for all DVDs you play?

8. What are the things you simply do not like about your ibook g4 12?

9. If you have the apple bluetooth mouse, is it any good? If I buy the ibook i need this feature so I need to know how good this mouse works.

10. How much hard drive space is used initially out of the box? I read a review that said the HD was 30 Gig, but 15 was already used up on it.

11. Realistically what is your average battery life, without playing DVD and with playing a DVD?

12. I heard apple is coming out with a widescreen version ibook, any truth to this? And if so, should I wait a while for the price to come down?

13. What is the most accurate ibook review you have read?

14. Anything else I should really know about this machine??

thanks a lot for taking the time to read and reply.

Adam

brickcam
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2005, 01:56 PM

If you weren't asking for a dissertation, you'd get more replies. Nobody is here to "convince you".
Cameron

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2005, 02:30 PM

What the heck? I replied to this post this morning and my post has been removed!

astnfan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 02:39 PM

Some of these are one word or yes/no questions, hardly a dissertation.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2005, 03:09 PM

There you go now go get one.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2005, 03:18 PM

Ok, lets try this again!

Originally Posted by astnfan
Yes. Most notibly is the freely available GCC.

2. What is the most graphics intensive game you have been able to play flawlessly on the ibook?
World of Warcraft and Unreal Tourney 2004. Both are very playable.

4. Is it possible to change the color of the ibook, I want an all black one, if so how hard is it?
Try out ColorWare. Other vendors provide similar services as well.

No different transferring via wired ethernet (asside for the speed differences, that is). OS X can participating in Windows networking and there are also several utilities (some freely available) to help with the file transfer process.

The CD drive is, indeed, a bit noisy. But no louder than my Mac mini's drive nor louder than the drive on my work-supplied IBM ThinkPad.

Yes.

The lack of high resolution screens by Apple. 1024x768 is my biggest complaint by far.

10. How much hard drive space is used initially out of the box? I read a review that said the HD was 30 Gig, but 15 was already used up on it.
Don't have a virgin install in front of me. However, will soon have a new 12" iBook delivered and can provide additional details then.

11. Realistically what is your average battery life, without playing DVD and with playing a DVD?
You should reasonably be able to expect 5+ hours.

12. I heard apple is coming out with a widescreen version ibook, any truth to this? And if so, should I wait a while for the price to come down?
The iBook and PB lines have recently been upgraded. I wouldn't wait on an upgrade as I believe one is NOT forthcoming.

That's all I got for you for now.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2005, 03:33 PM

Hi there,

I want an ultra portable, and the sony t series is a rip off, the dell x1 doesnt have built in optical, and there havent been any others that have really impressed me much.

So I look to apple to see if they can supply what I need. If anyone with an Ibook 12" G4 1.33MHZ can help me out I would appreciate it.

The following are questions which will guide me in my decision to buy a mac. Please answer them honestly, I know you are all mac users, but please be objective with your information. The following questions refer only to the Ibook G4 12" with the 1.33 Ghz 512RAM shown as is on apples website.

3. Can I realisticly do basic to mid level video editing with this machine? I mean be able to encode files, cut them up, etc. Nothing super advanced. If so, can I save my files in mpeg, avi, wmv and other non .mov formats and what software do I need to do this?

9. If you have the apple bluetooth mouse, is it any good? If I buy the ibook i need this feature so I need to know how good this mouse works.

If you want an ultraportable with an optical drive, why aren't you looking at the Panasonic W2? The iBook is not an ultraportable.

1. Yes.

2. The 9550 isn't as bad as the 9200 was, but don't expect to play new games at maximum resolution and quality. Quake 3 and UT2003 will be fine, but Halo and UT2004 will not.

3. Yes, if you're willing to wait. You can encode to just about any format you can think of using discreet cleaner.

4. Yes, Colorware PC offers about a dozen colors for your iBook.

5. Apple says it's easy, in reality it's not hard.

6. I can't comment specificly on the iBook, but in general slot-load optical drives are noisier than tray-load optical drives.

7. Of course. What computer in the last 5 years can't play DVDs smoothly?

8. I don't own one, but if I did the screen resolution would drive me nuts.

9. If you're OK with one button and relatively short battery life, then it's fine. See other threads in the MacNN forums like this one on the Apple BT mouse for more info.

10. With everything installed (OSX, iLife, etc), I think it's still in the single-digit gigabytes.

11. Depends on backlight setting, wifi, bluetooth, etc, but in general 3.mumble hours playing a DVD and 4.mumble not.

12. If I recall correctly, Apple has stated that all of their products will be widescreen by the end of 2006, but that's a ways off. Apple does have a special event coming up Wednesday, so new iBooks are a possibility but not likely.

astnfan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 03:49 PM

maybe its not an ultra portable, but its pretty darn close, especially since some ultraportables have these ugly batteries that protrude out of the back. Ive never bought a panasonic notebook before, havent heard anything about it.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2005, 05:25 PM

If you're gonna get an iBook MAKE SURE to get a bigger hard drive. Apple's programs are huge
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2005, 05:54 PM

maybe its not an ultra portable, but its pretty darn close, especially since some ultraportables have these ugly batteries that protrude out of the back. Ive never bought a panasonic notebook before, havent heard anything about it.
Apple iBook 12": 4.9lb
Pansonic Toughbook W2: 2.8lb
Sony VAIO TX: 2.76lb
Dell Latitude X1 (no optical): 2.52lb

There's a lot of things the iBook is (such as a good value), but it's not an ultraportable. There are a number of laptops with 14" screens and optical drives that are lighter than the 12" iBook.

A lot of places have reviewed the Panasonic W2.

astnfan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 09:39 PM

yeah I cant shell out that much for a laptop right now, I already put together a $1700 desktop earlier this year. I dont want to spend over 1-1.1k on a laptop

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2005, 10:15 PM

4. Just do the color job your self there is a dozens websites/guides on it on the web.

2. I have the 9200 and I can run Halo and Unreal Tournament superbly! (many be you just needed more ram mduell?)

P.S. I think It's ultra-portable! I have a iBook G4 14" and I just throw it into my Timbuk2 Laptop Bag and I bring it any/everywhere.

astnfan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Flip500
4. Just do the color job your self there is a dozens websites/guides on it on the web.

2. I have the 9200 and I can run Halo and Unreal Tournament superbly! (many be you just needed more ram mduell?)

P.S. I think It's ultra-portable! I have a iBook G4 14" and I just throw it into my Timbuk2 Laptop Bag and I bring it any/everywhere.
Yeah I think its pretty portable as well, I dont actually know what the definition of ultraportable is.

Im pretty close to getting it, just still dont know for sure. Is there another computer for $1k that can even come close to the ibook in terms of performance and small size?
( Last edited by astnfan; Oct 10, 2005 at 01:01 AM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 01:32 AM

Care of barefeats:

11 and 18fps is not playable in my book (and that's average, not minimum). The 9550 is a bit faster than the 9200, but you're still not going to see decent minimum framerates.

I've got 2GB RAM in my laptop, but it's not an iBook

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2005, 02:54 AM

Im pretty close to getting it, just still dont know for sure. Is there another computer for $1k that can even come close to the ibook in terms of performance and small size?
I highly doubt it. The iBook is an excellent value.
Linkinus is king.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 03:30 AM

No, not really. The 12" iBook represents a unique tradeoff between speed, price, and size. Most of the PC companies prefer to use 14" panels in the same price/speed range, which of course makes their laptops bigger.
The Dell Inspiron 2200 is the same size/speed as the 14" iBook and a few hundred dollars cheaper, but of course you'd have to run Windows or Linux instead of OS X.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Oct 10, 2005, 08:23 AM

Hi there,
yes, of course. I develop java professionally on a powerbook 12 inch. The java feeling on Mac OS compared to linux is much better. Compared to macs windows sucks in terms of java.
The only drawback: Java on macs is slow. But if you develop this is not bad because you are forced to write best performing code.

You should get an iBook with at least 40GB hd. If you store many mp3s 60 GB wouldn't be bad

No one will know until its is released because thats apples policy.
But for sure the powerbook will be first.

Its a great value for your money.
I would never recommend to buy a 1k notebook from dell or any other manufacturer because the risk to get a piece of junk is too high (concerning dell its is 99% ).
From apple you get high quality hardware AND service.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2005, 02:33 PM

Yeah I think its pretty portable as well, I dont actually know what the definition of ultraportable is.

Avertech Makes a variety of small PC laptops. I've read a lot about them and my general observation is that the quality is fine but the battery life is sucky (2-3 hours)

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2005, 04:14 PM

well 2 questions...

mudell-Well, i think those games are very playable on my lappy... tell me the name of a video screen recorder and i'll record me sometime and you can see it.

-And just a 'more' random question. what company makes those pc laptops that are like 12" by 5", those are to small but i was just curious...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 06:53 PM

-And just a 'more' random question. what company makes those pc laptops that are like 12" by 5", those are to small but i was just curious...
Sony PictureBook

crimson_joel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2005, 07:59 PM

Hi I just got my new iBook, so hopefully I can help a bit...

Yes.

Haven't played any games yet....

Yes you can, the video editing software by apple is amazing. Their are tons of different programs that you can use. I've been using www.versiontracker.com to check out alot of mac software.

Yes it is. But one of the cool things about apple comps are the aethetics. It's fun to see the white and silver apple laptops everywhere.

No.

No.

Yes

Resolution, Span Screening Doctor fixed this though.

I have the mouse and the keyboard and they both work flawlessly, just always turn it off when you aren't using to save battery life.

The HD actually is 40GB now, I upgraded to the 80GB and approx 11 of that was already in use. DeLocalizer and some other software helped me clean up some apps that weren't essential.

During the day my laptop is around with me, with bluetooth off - I make sure the brightness isn't too ridiculously high and I put the battery on energy saver, I also turn off airport when I'm not using the internet. I can get about 5 hours of use out of it.

When I'm at home I am usually able to plug it into the power adapter, an external monitor and I use the Bluetooth wirless mouse and keyboard. I would like to add that the 2-finger trackpad is awesome when you are on the go.

Don't count on it, Apple just upgraded the iBook in July. I got lucky and discovered this on the day I planned to order it but at most you won't get more than a few days/weeks about heads up on an upgrade and considering how long it took them to update it I doubt it will come anytime in the next few months.

Even if they do upgrade it I doubt the price will go down.

The latest update included more ram, built-in airport and bluetooth, bigger harddrive, faster processor, and some other features that used to be only available on the pb.

13. What is the most accurate ibook review you have read?

www.notebookreview.com really helped me look at the iBook.

It's the best value out their, go somewhere and try it and you will not be disappointed.

thanks a lot for taking the time to read and reply.

Adam

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2005, 08:31 PM

wait how can i use screen spanning doctor without using a external display?....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 10:04 PM

wait how can i use screen spanning doctor without using a external display?....
You can apply it, but you won't see any difference. It's only for changing the external display.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2005, 06:29 AM

Oh thanks....

Forum Links
Forum Rules