Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sending in my PowerBook for Repair...

Sending in my PowerBook for Repair...
Oasis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 12:57 AM

Aloha!

First post here

My 7 month old PowerBook decided to give me a white spot a few weeks ago! So, I called AppleCare and they sent me the standard box to have it shipped off to Houston. Since I would be shipping it on a Friday, I'm wondering if Apple does repairs through the weekend, and as such, could I expect to get it back by Monday?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2005, 01:03 AM

not likely that they'd even receive it in time even if they did work the weekend....I mean, really....quit dreaming and get on the beam
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Oasis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blur
not likely that they'd even receive it in time even if they did work the weekend....I mean, really....quit dreaming and get on the beam
Well...I intended to say Tuesday. I guess I should have just kept the question to, if they worked on weekends.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 08:00 AM

I sent my PowerBook in for the white spots issue in 2004 and the turnaround time was about a week.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 10:21 AM

i've sent mine in for repair during a weekend and my experience has been that they do not work on weekends. the turnaround time has been great in my experience. they usually receive it, repair it, then express it back to me all on the same day. so under that scenario you could get it on tuesday.
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2005, 10:43 AM

I would have taken it to an Apple store, if possible; that way if something happens it transit they can never say "We never received it" or "We received it scratched to begin with". You can have the Apple store guy make a detailed record of the laptop's exterior condition before sending it in. Once I had to send in my laptop 5 times before it came back without additional damage/scratches/etc. Fortunately I sent it thru the Apple store so the additional damage could not be disputed. But that was a couple of years ago.

Oh well...don't want to worry you...good luck!

Oasis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 11:31 AM

Aloha,

Many thanks for your comments/experiences. I think I'll send it on Monday via the nearest Apple Store instead. Now...what to do with this shipping box...hmm...I guess I could sell it as a notebook protector, afterall, there is that "PowerPizza".

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 09:55 PM

I'd add that the Apple Stores are extremely fast. Either they do major repairs in-house. or else they overnight them to Austin, Texas or wherever and then get them back overnight. They conservatively promise seven to ten days for non ProCare customers but in reality it's more like three to four, while ProCare customers can get an in-house repair in a day or two. It's as fast as handling it yourself and a hell of a lot cheaper and more secure. And no BS about inspection fees that you increasingly get from independents.

Forum Links
Forum Rules