Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Third iPod in a year

Third iPod in a year
ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2005, 02:20 AM

I've been through three iPods this year. The first one, I got from my grandparents as a present, and used it everywhere i went. I dropped it a couple of times, but it still worked. One time, it fell one inch, and i got the sad face and the exclamation folder, and got it replaced at the Apple store under warranty about a month ago. On this iPod, whenever i hooked it up to my computer, iTunes wouldn't recognize it, and when it did, it would stop syncing right in the middle of the syncing of the songs, so i got that one returned, and am now with a brand new 4th gen iPod with the "Don't steal music" wrapper still on it, and have used it once. I am going to sell it on cragislist, because hopefully I will have a better run with the money i get from that with the 5th gen i want to get Oh yeah, when i went to schedule to get my second iPod replaced on Concierge, it had a lot of bugs in it, but the interface is very slick and easy to use.
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2005, 07:42 PM

Had mine for 2 years. No probs (just replaced battery).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

hickey
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2005, 08:51 PM

my 3g 10gig has been solid for about 3 years i think...

memento
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 09:23 AM

3rd iPod in a year? I think you need to consider how you're handling them. I've had my 1G 5gig since day 1 and it still works nearly flawlessly with only minor diminished battery capacity.

I knew someone who was 21, she had been in 5 accidents, none of them were determined to be her fault. There's just something a little TOO coincidental about those numbers.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 14, 2005, 11:26 AM

I'm with memento. Something about your personal habits with the iPods, or your computer, or even your aura, is messing up these little guys. Do not laugh about the aura thing; a friend of mine CANNOT wear a wristwatch and have it stay running. Wind up or battery makes no difference, they just stop on him. My wife has a gold watch that often decides it's going to be either slow or fast-but only while she's wearing it. It all has to do with the personal electrical field a person has, skin conductivity, and the environment.

I'd make sure your computer was plugged into an UPS, not just a surge suppressor. I'd make sure I wasn't wearing a lot of wool or polyester, and that my living spaces had a moderate humidity level-the clothing and humidity both relate to how much static electricity can develop around and on you. And I'd get a skin if I didn't already have one, just to provide a little electrical isolation and cushioning for the iPod.

It really does seem to be about you, not the iPods.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2005, 12:07 PM

Must be... It seems encouraging to get AppleCare, the way things are going...

memento
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 12:58 PM

that's probably a good idea. I don't normally recommend it, but it seems like it would be worthwhile for you.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2005, 10:54 PM

My iPod has now broken for the fourth time this year. It's still in its original warrenty, but I have applecare for another year. I treat my iPod so carefully, it doesn't have so much as a scratch but it keeps breaking. It's a 4th gen 40GB model. I must just be very very unlucky.

Is there not some kind of rule where you are allowed a newer model for free if it breaks that many times in one year? I don't trust the model I have any more, it's a joke. I want to use it as a portable harddrive for uni, but there is just no way I can rely on it.

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2005, 11:50 PM

the hard drive on my 4th generation went bad after 3 months and i took perfect care of it. I also know a bunch of other people who have had ipods go bad on them. It only took the guy about 2 minutes to decide to give me a new one... i bet they give out hundreds a day.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 03:15 AM

My 10GB iPod, bought in 2002, is still working flawlessly. I didn't receive any syncing issue, battery, and hardware problem. However, I bought three iPods in this year along. The shuffle, nano, and now the video iPod.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 16, 2005, 11:07 AM

I thought both my son's iPod had crapped out day before yesterday. It wouldn't turn on no matter what we did. I charged it for over 12 hours and still no response. I sat there with it plugged into my computer while I went through Apple's automated repair request system online. Once the request was sent, I tried one last time to reset the iPod. It worked. I was stunned but happy that it was running-and surprised that leaving it plugged into the AC adapter for that long only gave it about a 75% charge. So we plugged it in again for a few hours and it's been fine.

Moral: these things are amazingly resilient. Charge with AC when possible (no issues with USB power availability, etc.). Let malfunctioning iPods rest, and try to reset them when they act wierd. And apparently if you go online with Apple, it scares the little buggers and they get their act together and play nice!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2005, 11:09 AM

I think the problem was, the first one was good, but i dropped it (i didn't have a case, but got one for my second one), and it broke. I think the second one was just a dud, and my third one i haven't used yet accept to listen to a few podcasts on the road. I'm gonna restore it and get the dammned things outta my sight, and gonna get a video iPod

Response to ghporter: You posted the exact same time as I did, and i read your post, and I did indeed do all of those things, and yet, it never worked. It completely freezed when i ran diagnostics on it to see how bad the damage was, and it just froze during diagmostics, leaving me with a paperweight with a battery to drain. the Genius at the Apple Store said it was a dud, and gave me a new one. It's odd, you think Apple would lose money with the iPods they have to replace. As a poster said above, there must be a limit, I don't know how much though.

Also to ghporter: yes, they are amazingly resilliant, but dropping them with their little hard drives, well... My warranty runs out on January 1st, so I want the thing outta here so I don't get screwed again.

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2005, 11:41 PM

I'll never buy another iPod without AppleCare, after my 3G's hard drive crashed only a couple months after the warranty ran out.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Dec 25, 2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by memento
3rd iPod in a year? I think you need to consider how you're handling them. I've had my 1G 5gig since day 1 and it still works nearly flawlessly with only minor diminished battery capacity.

I knew someone who was 21, she had been in 5 accidents, none of them were determined to be her fault. There's just something a little TOO coincidental about those numbers.

Same here. My 1st gen 5GB iPod looks like new and has never had the slightest problem, except that it runs only 5 hours on a battery charge. I always carried it in a neoprene sleeve and - of course - I never dropped it .

Forum Links
Forum Rules