Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does your MacBooks power adapter get hot and make sizzle and crack sounds?

View Poll Results: Does your MacBooks power adapter get hot and make sizzle and crack sounds?
Poll Options:
Yes it does 24 votes (43.64%)
No it doesn't 25 votes (45.45%)
Yes it does and a replacement one fixed the problem 1 votes (1.82%)
Yes it does and a replacement one has the same problem 5 votes (9.09%)
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll
Does your MacBooks power adapter get hot and make sizzle and crack sounds?
Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2006, 10:05 AM

Last night when using my MacBook I noticed the AC adapter was VERY hot that I could not hold it comfortably. I held it to my ear and I could hear a sizzle and a cracking sound coming from it.

Looking on the Apple boards shows I am not the only person with this.

The irony is I heard of this problem before I got the MacBook and when I opened it up for the first time in the Applestore (to make sure everything was ok with it), I ask the guy at the genius bar if he mind plugging in the AC adapter to check for a sizzle. He did and he didn't hear anything.

The reason unfortunately is that it has to be plugged into a MacBook to get the sound to start but it does it even if the MacBook is sleeping.

I am going to call Applecare about it and see if they can send me a new one.

Hold your ear to your adapter when it is plugged into the wall and the MacBook, it should sound like rice crispies if you have the problem.
( Last edited by Socially Awkward Solo; Jun 14, 2006 at 12:33 PM. )

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2006, 10:10 AM

Yes mine did it, infact, mine is so loud I can hear it from the other end of the room. When I got my MB 2 weeks ago, I rang Apple, and they said they'd send me a new adaptor. They did, and it didn't help, so it must be the MB. That, along with the extreme (i mean extreme) heat of my MB, and hard drive clicks, was enough for Appple to replace the machine. Now all I have to do is wait for it to arrive....
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Socially Awkward Solo  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2006, 10:37 AM

If I put my ear to both my MacBooks I can hear a slight crackle but nothing worth worrying about. it sounds very similar to my G5's crackle.

Anywho, I am calling Apple about the adapter tonight.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2006, 10:45 AM

wow, I think I'll give mine a listen when I get home tonight. I knew it was getting hot, but crackling doesn't sound good....
Joe

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2006, 10:47 AM

Come to think of it, my iBooks adaptor did the exact same thing as what you are describing. It got very hot, and buzzed if I put my ear up to it. Its just standard operation for a transformer - its stepping up/down the electricity to the amount that is needed, hence buzzing will occour.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Come to think of it, my iBooks adaptor did the exact same thing as what you are describing. It got very hot, and buzzed if I put my ear up to it. Its just standard operation for a transformer - its stepping up/down the electricity to the amount that is needed, hence buzzing will occour.
Buzzing is fine if I can only hear it when I hold my ear to it but it was so damn hot I couldn't hold it. I was scared that it might set something on fire.

My iBook G3 adapter doesn't make any sounds or even get above room temperature.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2006, 11:09 AM

It's merely an audible sound effect produced when AC current is passed through the dilithium crystals in the power brick.

Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
It's merely an audible sound effect produced when AC current is passed through the dilithium crystals in the power brick.

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2006, 05:19 PM

lol!
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2006, 11:27 AM

I looked at the MacBook instruction booklet and it says the adapter will become "HOT" under normal usage, not warm, hot.

The sizzle still worries me, I am going to take it to the Apple Store today.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006, 09:03 PM

Well guess what. Got my replacement one from Apple today.. and surprise surprise it has the exact same issue.

Now what?

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006, 09:12 PM

Since this thread got bumped, I just checked and mine sounds like a WW2 radio between the sizzle and the crackle...scary.
Joe

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 10:24 PM

My iBook's adapter gets incredibly hot and sizzle-y while the 'Book is charging, especially if I'm using it while it charges. Like, so hot I can't hold it, and loud enough to hear in a silent room. But it is much cooler and nearly silent if it's running straight off the AC and not charging. Every adapter I've ever seen (Apple, Toshiba, HP, Dell, etc) behaves in the same way. It doesn't sound like an issue to me, but feel free to talk to an Apple rep if you are unsure. It's always better safe than sorry!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Jun 20, 2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
My iBook's adapter gets incredibly hot and sizzle-y while the 'Book is charging...
Seconded.
The same happens to my TiBook adapter. It gets really hot - but not so hot that it is impossible to touch.
And not the adapter but the Tibook itself makes sizzling sounds where the adapter is attached. Sizzling without problems for more than 3 years now .

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Jun 20, 2006, 07:17 AM

db error

CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 12:27 PM

I hear "sizzle and crackle" sound from my macbook even without powerbrick attached. It goes away if I run photobooth or keep the cpu busy. Maybe this is the whining problem I'm experiencing and not the powerbrick.

Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 12:37 PM

Some people are reporting that it doesn't make a sound if running windows. I am going to guess that it can be fixed with a software update but I know Apple never will.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 03:02 PM

I have a similar problem. Everytime I hear the noise starting to build up I temporarily disconnect the charger and then reconnect it after a few seconds. It seems to be very audible only when my MacBook is being charged, not when the battery is fully charged. I haven't tried yet to see if the sound persists when no battery is plugged in.

I hope this isn't one of those where the adapter can blow up. I've been hearing of too many laptop-exploding stories lately.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jun 22, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma
I hope this isn't one of those where the adapter can blow up. I've been hearing of too many laptop-exploding stories lately.
It seems standard. I have to guess that people that don't think they have one that does just can't hear it.

"Hello, what have we here?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 04:11 PM

Mine can't be heard unless I press my ear up to it directly, but it does get *extremely* hot when my battery is almost dead and I plug it in to recharge my MBP while using it. Charging + using puts the highest drain on the adapter, and that's when it heats up like crazy.

It heats up to the point that if I smell it, I can smell that uncomfortable "really hot electronic components" smell.

Juba310
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2006, 01:06 PM

I don't understand what you guys are talking about... the only part of my Macbook that heats up is right where the AC adapter plugs in, not the adapter itself. Its been plugged in all night and its at room temperature right now. I held it up to my hear and heard nothing, and haven't heard anything in general as long as I've had it. Perhaps I'm just lucky?

Aykew
Jun 23, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
It seems standard. I have to guess that people that don't think they have one that does just can't hear it.
I don't think this is the case; my wife and I bought the same exact model of MacBook. When I attach my adapter, it's just fine (maybe just a light buzz sound if I put my ear right up close). When I connect her's, the power adapter is quite noisy.

Interestingly, the level of noise seems to vary depending on what I'm doing. If I'm doing something processor intensive, the noise will change slightly, then go back when the computer is idling.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 04:53 AM

Apple just sent me a replacement power adapter, an 85W version used for MacBook Pros. As this is brand new, I'll have to put it through its paces before I can conclusively say its "better."

One observation is that there is a noticeable difference in sound between my original 65W adapter and this newer 80W adapter. The former emits an audible sound, the latter does not. I was asked by Apple to send in my original one for analysis/testing which I will do on Monday. In the meantime, I have the weekend to do some experiments.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2006, 07:19 AM

I noticed after a few days of having mine that the power block has a REALLY THIN film of clear plastic on it. I know, sounds stupid but it was so clear and thin I didn't notice it right away. I imagine it retains the heat so check and remove YOURS if it has this on it!

Tom

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma
Apple just sent me a replacement power adapter, an 85W version used for MacBook Pros. As this is brand new, I'll have to put it through its paces before I can conclusively say its "better."

One observation is that there is a noticeable difference in sound between my original 65W adapter and this newer 80W adapter. The former emits an audible sound, the latter does not. I was asked by Apple to send in my original one for analysis/testing which I will do on Monday. In the meantime, I have the weekend to do some experiments.

Isn't the 85W gigantic? I don't want that just to have it quite.

I'm not going to bother having Apple send me another one for a while as I know I am just going to get another defect so I am going to wait a few months first.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by TomR
I noticed after a few days of having mine that the power block has a REALLY THIN film of clear plastic on it. I know, sounds stupid but it was so clear and thin I didn't notice it right away. I imagine it retains the heat so check and remove YOURS if it has this on it!

Tom
That was the first thing I removed when talking it out of the box. The instructions also tell you to do the same.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2006, 12:52 AM

the adapter will stop making the noise when your cpu load is more than 9% orso.
if i fire up iTunes, than it stops.

The problem is a combination of a bad AC/Board and the CoreDuo. Apple is investigating it and they will replace my third MacBook once more in 3 weeks than it should be fixed.

15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

Forum Links
Forum Rules