Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cleaner Question

Cleaner Question
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2006, 04:06 PM

Whats the best way to clean my BlackBook?

Thanks
Signature depreciated.

Dorkington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 12:50 PM

I have used a magic eraser so far, but it doesnt work all that great on the keyboard (although i havent tried it much, im scared that the magic eraser will damage something haha). Others have used lens cleaner and microfiber, windex... etc

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2006, 02:54 PM

Apple uses a mixture of Clorox, WIndex, and good ole' H2O to clean display models... I asked them myself.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2006, 05:49 PM

thx
Signature depreciated.

CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dorkington
I have used a magic eraser so far, but it doesnt work all that great on the keyboard (although i havent tried it much, im scared that the magic eraser will damage something haha). Others have used lens cleaner and microfiber, windex... etc
I believe that the Magic Eraser just wears off the plastic microscopically.
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

bmwparamedic
Sep 7, 2006, 11:53 AM

iskin on the keyboard, i have a clear and blue one. Clear one can't even see on the white mac and a blue one on my black macbook. Static screen wipes to clean the oil stains once a day and it looks great

tjash1991
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 07:52 PM

I use Windex Multi-task on mine. It took of all the fingerprints and all the stains or whatever with ease. Plus it also was good at cleaning my screen.

I am afraid to use a magic eraser, or a bleach product. But this Windex Multi-task works like a wonder!

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2006, 09:58 PM

Why would they use clorox? Would that be to get rid of germs? Anwyays do they use windex on the screen? I used some glasses cleaner I found in my house from Pearle Vision and it works grrrrrreat.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2006, 12:34 AM

Will Clorox hurt the Matte-ness? I've just been using water + kleenex to clean off my BlackBook, but I need a better, more permanent solution...
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 11:18 AM

Dillon,

Find a better solution quickly! Kleenex will leave tiny (almost invisible) fibers on the screen that will leave tiny scratches on the screen when you clean it again over time.

duoikari
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 12:46 PM

so what you recomend to clean the actually outer part of a white macbook. Cos i seem to have marks on the outter part of my macbook, that you can only see when you look at it from a certain angle. i did use water and kitchen towel to wipe it with and some cleanning stuff i bought from pc world for the screen but it only seems to keep it clean for a certain period of time.

CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by duoikari
so what you recomend to clean the actually outer part of a white macbook.
I don't know if you are addressing me, but I use a used cotton baby undershirt with a fifty/fifty mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water (for every other day). Once every week I'll bust out the iDrops.

mzboril24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2006, 09:45 PM

hi. i have a white macbook and on the outter case....there are a few very small black spots....almost invisible unless viewed at a certain angle. of course, some can be seen from a distance.

now im talking about one that i have right where i open the display.....there are two black dots in one and ive tried the magic eraser....doesn't come off. :[

is there anyone else out there that notices small black spots.if so, how can it be cleaned?

i DONT want some smartass reply like.....close ur eyes or just dont look at it....that wont cut it!

i REALLY want a simple answer. thanks.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 01:32 AM

I have a couple of those black things, too. It almost like someting got inbedded in the plastic. I tried to clean it, but to no avail.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

mzboril24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by mrgaskell
I have a couple of those black things, too. It almost like someting got inbedded in the plastic. I tried to clean it, but to no avail.
:[

what have you tried cleaning it with? i was going to try goof off or goo gone and spray it on there and wipe it off......you think that maybe it would work??

thanks

BRINET
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 02:31 PM

I have one of those black spots already and I've only had my white macbook for 6 days. Anybody successful in getting these spots out?

discounteggroll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 09:53 AM

iclear apple polish is what I use (and what the apple store sells)

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 29, 2006, 11:54 AM

Check it:

Klear Screen & iKlear - LCD, Laptop, and Computer Screen Cleaner

They sell it in an (not official) Apple store in my city.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

acoustix
Sep 30, 2006, 12:03 AM

Is Kensington "Screen Guardian"-"for notebook, anti-glare and polarized computer screens" O.K.?

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by tjash1991
I use Windex Multi-task on mine. It took of all the fingerprints and all the stains or whatever with ease. Plus it also was good at cleaning my screen.

I am afraid to use a magic eraser, or a bleach product. But this Windex Multi-task works like a wonder!
r u serious it my screen looks absoululy HORRIBLE after cleaning with windex there are streaks that Wont go away!
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Macintosh Sauce
Oct 9, 2006, 08:05 PM

There is a better cleaning product out there. It's called "CleanDR" at COMP USA, etc. Excellent product and doesn't leave any streaks at all! I use this to clean my notebook and LCD/TV screens. It is alcohol and ammonia free...
( Last edited by Macintosh Sauce; Oct 10, 2006 at 07:45 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules