Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > New Xbox 360?

New Xbox 360?
papadopolis
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2007, 09:32 AM

I have heard alot about this new xbox and how it is black.... and ect. what is so great about it? anything new I have been thinking about getting an xbox 360... when dose this one come out? How much is it? is it the same as the PRO 360? or the core?

highstakes
Senior User
Apr 19, 2007, 10:24 AM

360 Elite comes with HDMI output, runs quieter, and a much bigger HD (120 instead of 20)....it will cost you close to $500 with tax.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2007, 03:13 PM

Actually, all the new 360's run quieter now.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
...runs quieter...
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Didn't he just say that?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2007, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Didn't he just say that?
360 Elite comes with HDMI output, runs quieter, and a much bigger HD (120 instead of 20)....it will cost you close to $500 with tax.
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
If you read imitchellg5's reply, he is referring to "all" 360's... Elite/Premium/Core etc... unlike highstakes who was only talking about the Elite model.

The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

mlashcorp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 08:03 AM

actually it has been confirmed that the noise issue is still apparent. depends on what dvd drive ships with the console (and that's random)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2007, 08:23 AM

Unless you have a HDMI only screen, or really want 120Gb, or really really like black, get an Xbox Premium. The DVD drive is still as noisy as it was, the HDMI gives very little increase in image quality over component or VGA (and is a lower spec HDMI than the PS3, so can only do the basic version of the Dolby stereo 5.1 turbo supersound extreme ® ).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2007, 02:49 PM

I am also considering purchasing an Xbox Elite. Although I admit that I haven't played my xbox or ps2 in months, so I might considering investing in something after prices go down (hopefully they will...)

Razgriz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 04:20 PM

The new xbox has a 120 gig harddrive but it cant play HD DVD's which is what the games are written on. So inorder to play DVD's u need to add in an extra $200 and if you don't ad that in its $480. So if u you total it it gets to $680 which is more than a PS3.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2007, 12:52 PM

I almost got it as an upgrade to my current 360 (for the HDMI) but since there's no built-in HD-DVD drive I passed. I just got a new HDTV and the component output is good enough for now. My PS3 spanks it, but I don't need to spend $480 on a new 360 for a relatively minor upgrade.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2007, 01:03 PM

same. CAn't think why the wouldn't have included a HD-DVD drive too
we don't have time to stop for gas

dagamer34
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
The new xbox has a 120 gig harddrive but it cant play HD DVD's which is what the games are written on. So inorder to play DVD's u need to add in an extra $200 and if you don't ad that in its $480. So if u you total it it gets to $680 which is more than a PS3.
What kind of logic is that? Hell what kind of sentence structure is that? You do NOT need the HDDVD attatchment to play games, nor would anyone who doesn't have money growing on trees want to purchase either of the two formats until this silly format war is over. Get a clue, pal and go back to grammar school.
15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HDD | 128MB X1600 GPU

torifile
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
I'm by no means a lover of the "Elite" Xbox but this is just FUD. Of course the Elite can play games without the need for the HDDVD drive. What the hell are you smoking to think otherwise? That MS excluded the HD-DVD drive, as well as wifi, rechargeable controllers, or HDMI 1.3 is inexcusable for a supposedly elite system but they're not that stupid.

Dazed
Apr 30, 2007, 03:40 PM

im going to wait till they go to the 65nm cpus so it doesnt sound like a jet engine as it tries to cool the thing down. Hopefully they will do that before xmas.

Electronista says the fall, so hopefully they are right

highstakes
Senior User
May 1, 2007, 11:28 AM

If you have'nt seen this video already, this pretty much explains the noise issue between the Elite and non-Elite 360's

ZOMG!!! Xbox 360 Elite sneak peek :: DESTRUCTOID :: Hardcore video game blog

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2007, 02:03 PM

If you have'nt seen this video already, this pretty much explains the noise issue between the Elite and non-Elite 360's

ZOMG!!! Xbox 360 Elite sneak peek :: DESTRUCTOID :: Hardcore video game blog
I can't believe I fell for that until he cranked on the launch 360.

finboy
May 3, 2007, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by papadopolis View Post
I have heard alot about this new xbox and how it is black.... and ect. what is so great about it? anything new I have been thinking about getting an xbox 360... when dose this one come out? How much is it? is it the same as the PRO 360? or the core?
Hey, if it can last 6 months without breaking, it will be an improvement over the original X360. We have two (systemlink coop with the wifey!) and both have had multiple repair "issues" which have cost us plenty of game saves. I'm re-evaluating the whole 360 platform decision at this point.

Forum Links
Forum Rules