Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Can't use new Apple wireless keyboard with Vista

Can't use new Apple wireless keyboard with Vista
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 12:33 PM

I installed Vista on my iMac after installing Leopard. Everything seems to have gone well except I can't get my aluminum wireless keyboard to be recognized by bluetooth in Vista. I had no problem with my wireless mighty mouse, I add the keyboard to bluetooth devices and then I choose the option to automatically choose the passkey and everything seems to install fine even to the point that a pop up says the keyboard is installed and ready to use but it still does not work. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2007, 03:29 PM

You need to install the drivers. They're on the Leopard installation disc. These drivers are REQUIRED for your Bluetooth devices to work.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

striker100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You need to install the drivers. They're on the Leopard installation disc. These drivers are REQUIRED for your Bluetooth devices to work.
I installed all of the Windows drivers from the Leopard disk. Strange that the mouse works but the keyboard does not.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2007, 07:58 PM

Interesting. A few days ago, someone posted somewhere on our forums that after upgrading to Leopard, he was having trouble with his BT mouse, but not his keyboard...

This is really odd. I don't know enough about the aluminum wireless keyboard-is there a battery you can remove for a while so you can basically do a hard reset on the keyboard?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ecd0317
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2007, 12:18 AM

I have them both works well in Vista Home premium. There is the tip:

1. You need an wired keyboard and an wired mouse, or at least, an wired mouse.
2. For the wireless mouse working in Vista, just click in the bluetooth icon in the right bottom of the screen, choose add a new device. Turn on your wireless mouse and and when you proceed finding bluetooth device, set up your mouse choosing don't use passkey. After all, windows will automatically install driver and you get your wireless mouse worked.
3. The wireless keyboard needs a trick to install. Restart your mac in Mac OS. Remove this keyboard and reinstall it. When the mac tells you to type the passkey, write it down to a paper. Complete installing your keyboard and restart the mac in Vista.
4. Similar to the mouse, install the wireless keyboard in Vista, but choose use the document passkey instead of the two other options. Type 8 digits you've got above. Now, you can have the keyboard driver installed and works.

Attention: make sure whenever the mac want to find your keyboard, the light of this keyboard is always on (by pressing the power button few times).

Hope this helps. Otherwise, mail to <email address edited out to protect user>. Contact user by PM, not email-safer and less likely to result in user getting tons of spam! ecd0317, posting your email address on the Web is like telling everyone where you live and that your doors are unlocked all the time-in other words, it's asking for trouble.
( Last edited by ghporter; Nov 3, 2007 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Edited out email address)

striker100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ecd0317 View Post
I have them both works well in Vista Home premium. There is the tip:

1. You need an wired keyboard and an wired mouse, or at least, an wired mouse.
2. For the wireless mouse working in Vista, just click in the bluetooth icon in the right bottom of the screen, choose add a new device. Turn on your wireless mouse and and when you proceed finding bluetooth device, set up your mouse choosing don't use passkey. After all, windows will automatically install driver and you get your wireless mouse worked.
3. The wireless keyboard needs a trick to install. Restart your mac in Mac OS. Remove this keyboard and reinstall it. When the mac tells you to type the passkey, write it down to a paper. Complete installing your keyboard and restart the mac in Vista.
4. Similar to the mouse, install the wireless keyboard in Vista, but choose use the document passkey instead of the two other options. Type 8 digits you've got above. Now, you can have the keyboard driver installed and works.

Attention: make sure whenever the mac want to find your keyboard, the light of this keyboard is always on (by pressing the power button few times).

Hope this helps. Otherwise, mail to <email address edited out to protect user>. Contact user by PM, not email-safer and less likely to result in user getting tons of spam! ecd0317, posting your email address on the Web is like telling everyone where you live and that your doors are unlocked all the time-in other words, it's asking for trouble.
Thanks for your help but unfortunately the problem still persists for me though your idea sounded very promising! I did as you said and got the 8 digit key from OS X and then booted into Vista. Since my mouse was already working fine under Vista I attached my wired keyboard and went through the bluetooth pairing entering the key # I got under documentation. It took and said passkey connection (or something like that) but then it automatically reverts to connected with no pass key and I still can't connect. Are you using the new aluminum wireless keyboard or the older version? Very frustrating as everything else is running fine other than this problem.

Chapster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2007, 08:34 PM

I had a hard time setting up my keyboard to work with Leopard. This is what I found worked for me. Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant. Continue to Select Device Type pane and choose "Any Device" NOT "Keyboard." In Bluetooth Device Setup click on Pass Key Options and select "Automatically Generate a Passkey." That should take care of your Keyboard. For anyone having problem with their Mouse make sure it is on when Bluetooth is trying to detect it.
I do have one problem though, if anyone can help! I have two drives on my MacPro and use the Options key to switch between the two of them. This no longer works. The Options key itself works because I can use it for other things, but when I restart the computer and hold it down to get the two hard drive icons on screen to choose from the Options key won't work and it defaults to my startup disk. Any advice?

Forum Links
Forum Rules