Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Ipod Touch and Sprint E720 Expresscard

Ipod Touch and Sprint E720 Expresscard
urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2007, 02:28 PM

I'm sure most know how to set up your Macbook/MPB in System Preferences so it will share the internet Expresscard signal with other laptops as long as you have a Sprint or other Expresscard and the other laptop is wireless. Well it seems to work fine with me, Windows or Mac laptop, but with the iPod touch it is a different experience. My iPod touch does not share the wireless signal at all in OSX and as far as Bootcamp Windows XP is concerned, as long as I am constantly surfing; looking up websites with no pause, the iPod touch keeps the connection. If I stop and pause activity on the iPod for about 10 seconds the connection is broken in Windows XP. Here's the kicker; if I have my Powerbook on, sharing the MPB Expersscard Wifi signal, the iPod stays connected regardless. Has anyone had any success using an Expresscard with your MBP/Macbook and the iPod Touch? I will learn more later this evening. My friend has an iPod Touch, so I will see if she can get on the net wirelessly from my MBP in OSX, and if his iPod breaks the signal like mine in Windows using Bootcamp on my MBP. If it does not I will know my iPod has a defect. Any thoughts?

For those who don't know about using your Macbook/MBP as a"Base station", yes, it can be easily done using an Expresscard. I really want to go mobile, but the Expresscard routers are not out yet, due early next year from what I hear. Would be cool to use the iPod Touch anywhere in my area without depending on Hotspots. Imagine going into a Starbucks or anywhere with your iPod connected to the router in your vehicle.

Of course I could leave the MBP in the vehicle but I would not want to do that.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2007, 04:03 PM

I also have had lots of problems with internet sharing to an ipod touch (from MBP), and the apple discussion forums are filled with people with problems doing it as well. I've had it work for a few days, and then it won't work again. Then it will load the first page, and then no more until a reset. My newest thing is that I get non-US websites perfectly (e.g., bbc.co.uk), but not websites that seem to be based in the US.

urrl78  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2007, 04:26 PM

Before I tried that iJailbreak install there was no way my iPod Touch would share the WiFi signal with my 2.4 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro in OSX. Well the Jailbreak install failed an I had to restore my iPod. After that I discovered the iPod was able to surf the net from the MBP. I checked the Wifi signal and yes; it's from the MBP. What happened? Did Apple do an update on the software I re-installed to get my iPod working again? I had to do a full re-install and lost my stored stuff, but sync'd it back. Anyway all I can say is WOW because this was one of the main reasons I bought my iPod Touch. I'm almost afraid to turn everything off and reboot...

I am using the Sprint EX720 Expresscard.

I am wondering if iJailbreak really had anything to do with it. Maybe those with this problem need to do the "hold both buttons procedure" to reset their iPods.
( Last edited by urrl78; Nov 8, 2007 at 04:48 PM. )

urrl78  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2007, 04:40 PM

This post is from my iPod Touch! I am in OSX on MBP connected to net with EX720 Expresscard!

urrl78  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2007, 09:41 PM

After rebooting it's all over. Even resetting does not good.

urrl78  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2007, 09:11 AM

It happened again, got connected last night, left iPod on but rebooted MBP only; still no good.
At least I finally got it jailbroke. My mistake was the iTunes settings; iTunes turned it on each time the instructions told me to reboot the iPod.
I changed the settings; iTunes did come on but was set not to connect with the iPod. Did it using the expresscard in the MBP by the way.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...T99/iTouch.jpg

Forum Links
Forum Rules