Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Trying to get Sirius to play on my iMac

Trying to get Sirius to play on my iMac
bc130
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 09:18 AM

I've tried to get Sirius to play on-line and the window states that I need to download a plug in and takes you to the windows page to get it. However, after I download the necessary file, it doesn't automatically install it. when I click on the download, it says it can't open the file...what am I doing wrong?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2007, 09:36 AM

We'd need a lot more information to help you out. Are you trying to use the Windows Sirius player? How are you running Windows on your iMac? What is the name of the file you're trying to install?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2007, 09:46 AM

If you're trying to access the Sirius player from Windows, you shouldn't have any problem because it's Windows Media based. If you're trying to access it on OS X, get Flip4Mac's WM Components. It definitely is compatible - I just verified it using Firefox.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bc130  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 11:06 AM

I was trying to play Sirius from Mac so I downloaded the Flip4Mac's WM components and we're good to go now. Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2007, 05:35 PM

Ah. Now it's clear-and I'm glad you got it working.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

wyatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 07:53 PM

Another way is to have the WMP for Macs installed and just open the sirius page in Safari. When it trieds to play the file and can't, it will let you open the file in WMP which plays it just fine.

dogsrus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 09:17 PM

I just bought an iMac (think novice) and can't access the Sirius Internet Radio. I downloaded and installed Flip4Mac but to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

WaltFrench
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 03:17 AM

It took me some futzing around before it worked. Then it was quite reliable on both my laptop and my wife's iMac -- only one allowed at a time, tho; logging onto the 2nd dropped the first.

Then I downloaded SiriusMac (donationware). The one-time captcha process is clunky, and I'd really like some better feedback for the controls. Again, plan on banging on it until it gives you what you want... push EVERYWHERE to discover the functions. But it's much nicer in not asking, "still listening?" at intervals, a drawback for the Flip option that made it a nuisance to put music on and go about other things away from my desk.
"Inquiring Minds Want to Know!"

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2007, 05:48 PM

Thanks bc130 it works like a carm.

Forum Links
Forum Rules