Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 4

Battlefield 4 (Page 3)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 05:04 PM

Just hopped n BF4/PS4. 60 fps is amazing. No way I'm going back to 360/30fps. Also, I realized unlocking stuff twice would suck.

Sorry sek.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2013, 05:08 PM

Booooo

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2013, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Best game so far, absolutely untouchable on foot and terrorized the map for a few minutes in the tank.

Apart from that level 29(?) you played against noobs.

Dakar asked me to piss on your bonfire.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2013, 05:26 PM

Also,

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 05:48 PM

Also,

I apologize sek, I should have waited til I got the PS4 to even consider such a thing. But $25 is not a bad deal for a game out about a month. Also, I thought all I'd be doing is dealing with shitty graphics. And then I saw the framerate. I don't think I can pay to slum it.

Best game so far, absolutely untouchable on foot and terrorized the map for a few minutes in the tank.

When we reunite it will be more glorious than ever. Your powers seem greater than mine, now.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2013, 06:42 PM

I have indeed hit the ground running. Naturally, when your motto is PTFO you're bound to amass the most points in a match. More surprising to me has been my K/D starting off, which certainly wasn't my strong suit in BF3.

So far my Battlelog stats aren't looking bad: Div 1 in skill, score per minute, and Engineer Class. Roughly 1 in every 3 wins I'm MVP, 58-25 W/L with a 1.62 K/D. Also, and this isn't something I can back up with stats, I place as lobby MVP fairly frequently on the losing team and therefore do no get the award.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 06:51 PM

You can't get the MVP ribbon if your team loses? Booo. Even sports acknowledge thats possible

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 07:58 AM

BF3 was pretty good with my shitty net connection, but a neighbour said that its gotten worse over the past few months. Tempted to try it with Xbox360 and then get it again for the PS4 next year.

Some review said that you have to play the solo to unlock some guns. Do you guys feel 'under-equipped'?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
BF3 was pretty good with my shitty net connection, but a neighbour said that its gotten worse over the past few months. Tempted to try it with Xbox360 and then get it again for the PS4 next year.

Some review said that you have to play the solo to unlock some guns. Do you guys feel 'under-equipped'?
To be honest I don't even understand the unlock system yet, though from a quick appraisal it looks like it might be worse than the BF3 system.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 02:13 PM

So in my first session last night one map jumped out me: Zaphod 311. It feels more like a WW2 settings with lush trees and underbrush. During a rush game with tanks the feel was only enhanced more.

Also, PS4 seems to be suffering PC type sever problems. Server browser is either fuxxored or disabled, several game types can't be joined via quick play, and apparently you can't squad up prior to joining a game. Still happy though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2013, 03:23 PM

Zaphod 311 is one of my more favorite maps. My stomping grounds is between B and C, there's an underground passage that connects both areas and is usually my spot of choice until the other team sends everyone after me or it's time to move on to full map domination.

The two building tops above both B and C are a favored spot of snipers hell-bent on getting 3 kills and not helping their team in the least.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 03:28 PM

It was Rush

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 03:46 PM

Galmud Railway also had a bit of a WWII town feel. Great map for destruction. Star a domination game with these houses and fences, finish the game no cover in houses and long sightlines between capture points thanks to blowing up the fences.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Galmud Railway also had a bit of a WWII town feel. Great map for destruction. Star a domination game with these houses and fences, finish the game no cover in houses and long sightlines between capture points thanks to blowing up the fences.
Gotta love dynamic maps. Have you come across much infrastructure that cannot be altered?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 12:23 PM

They locked the M249 behind Campaign. Bastards. I might give it a try this weekend.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 01:42 PM

Also, its absurd that they removed easy customization from the main menu.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2013, 02:41 PM

They locked the M249 behind Campaign. Bastards. I might give it a try this weekend.
Wait, they're forcing you to play campaign to unlock weapons in multiplayer? Lame. I remember BF3 had some weapons locked until you beat some Co-op missions but none for campaign.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Wait, they're forcing you to play campaign to unlock weapons in multiplayer? Lame. I remember BF3 had some weapons locked until you beat some Co-op missions but none for campaign.
There's no co-op this time so...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2013, 02:45 PM

Do you have to beat the whole campaign to unlock the M249 (I love that gun) or just a specific chapter?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 02:48 PM

I honestly haven't looked into it. Word is people get losing their campaign saves.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2013, 06:00 PM

Also, its absurd that they removed easy customization from the main menu.
I like the idea of the Test Range in theory, but it takes to long to load for quick gear changes and looking at new unlocks.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2013, 06:17 PM

I like the idea of the Test Range in theory, but it takes to long to load for quick gear changes and looking at new unlocks.
What you're supposed to do is do it from the battlelog (i.e., back button).

Test range was clutch, actually. I went on there first with the PS4 and that's where I learned about motion view and tweaked my controls and got a basic feel for the system and game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2013, 02:09 PM

Liking this game a lot more than the beta. Whatever awkwardness with med packs and ammo crates and defribs, etc. seems to have subsided. The main thing bothering me right now is exiting vehicles.

I'm a little bemused by the weapon system. Anyone can use carbines, shotguns, and DMRs? I'm curious how this effects class balance. At some point last night I quickly cycled through a carbined Recon then Support, changing my priorities from motion sensor to claymore. Refreshing though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2013, 10:27 AM

Played the campaign last night. It's boring as hell. So much talking and walking. Realized you have to beat the game to get the M249. Unhappy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2013, 10:54 AM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2013, 02:00 AM

Apart from that level 29(?) you played against noobs.

Dakar asked me to piss on your bonfire.
I present Exhibit "B" of yet another game of ownage on Zavod 311.

Conclusion, that map is my biatch.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2013, 06:42 AM

Nice.

I present Exhibit "B" of yet another game of ownage on Zavod 311. Conclusion, that map is my biatch.
Levelling up nicely, you are doing well.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2013, 02:09 PM

This is one of my better games. MVP on a 64 man game.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2013, 01:30 PM

828 SPM...ridiculous.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 01:36 PM

Lord, after a weekend of this stuff I have so many impressions and comments. First off, the obvious: DICE over nerfed the vehicles. Ridiculously so. Arguably people could go on some psychotic streaks with the tanks and attack choppers, but the issue was trying to get more than two people to take them down. Try this in next-gen. You've got at a minimum 4 more people, more ways to spot, more ways to attack, etc.

The game is chock full of the double-nerf or over nerf. Attack Chopper gunner now seems more inaccurate. Also it runs out of ammo far too fast, particularly if you're in a big game and there are limitless targets. Tank drivers can't equip proximity scan. This on top of the fact that (rightfully) proximity scan only shows movement within the area. And there's perks that take you off motion sensing radar. I mean, seriously DICE.

Oh, and the main shell ammo expires fast. Stupid when you regularly can run into multiple tanks and an LAV, not to mention infantry.

Oddly, I feel like the higher FPS is throwing me off when I'm in vehicles, but so far I've proven myself to be awful at using the tank and LAV. Gunner, I'm pretty good, I've even gotten multiple kills in a life just shooting out the sides of the LAV but running main, I suck.

Little bird stock guns blow, and the first upgrade is usable ones.

On kits, I have no idea why the med and ammo packs exist, other than to just make life hard for the low levels. In a year when everyone is a colonel, whatever gameplay point there was to it will be washed away.

Still lost trying to determine good weapons from bad. Also it seems every attachment improves hip fire, with stability being uncommon and accuracy being rare. Not sure why someone would willfully decrease their accuracy, but whatever. Not sure about accuracy vs stability, but also seems like a no-brainer. Coyote RDS. Finally. Suppressor seems to kill damage even more than BF3, another purposely nerf I imagine as most people would rather stay off radar.

Pistols take too long to unlock. The attachments are great, however. Mini RDS? Yes please. The rate of unlocking stuff on all weapons has led me to carefully choosing what weapons I use and sticking with them even if they seem kinda shitty because the unlocking process is a huge grind.

Gameplay stuff later, I think.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
828 SPM...ridiculous.
64 player Conquest on Dawnbreaker. Damned unlikely.

Edit: Do awards inflate your SPM? because in that case, you can halve it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 04:11 PM

I forgot to mention, with the 64 player count came some lag. Mostly on two maps that I recall. Operation Locker 64p actually had my framerate dip into the single digits from all the explosions and people in the center (not to mention when it collapsed). The resort map gave me constant 'mild' rubber banding that went nuts (couldn't move) when one of the wings of the hotel got collapsed. Otherwise, no other issues that I can recall.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 04:28 PM

Forgot more stuff. Did a few games as commander. That's definitely built for having a mouse. It also seems like I was gaining XP much more slowly than my counterpart. The options can be fairly limited and issuing orders kind of sucks. It might be best to play with a squad you know on the ground.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2013, 08:31 AM

I forgot to mention, with the 64 player count came some lag. Mostly on two maps that I recall. Operation Locker 64p actually had my framerate dip into the single digits from all the explosions and people in the center (not to mention when it collapsed). The resort map gave me constant 'mild' rubber banding that went nuts (couldn't move) when one of the wings of the hotel got collapsed. Otherwise, no other issues that I can recall.
This is the sort of info that scares me. I don't want to get either console and then get screwed for multi because my connection is so bad.

And no, I'm not selling my house.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 26, 2013, 11:18 AM

This is the sort of info that scares me. I don't want to get either console and then get screwed for multi because my connection is so bad.

And no, I'm not selling my house.
Well, I'm not technically minded in this area, but given all the server issues in the past week, it's suspected thats the cause of the lag and it'll clear up or become manageable (think Seine) once they get their shit together.

Anyway, there's always the option to play on 32 and 48p servers which is still far more than the current gen can handle.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 26, 2013, 11:19 AM

sek, what are your go to weapons?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 26, 2013, 12:10 PM

One of my biggest aggravations is the lips on edges of buildings and roofs. Its nice not to accidentally fall off the building, but when they impede your line of sight they are physically impossible to mount. Pressing the jump button does nothing and if you get a moving start you hurdle it to the ground below.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2013, 03:44 PM

One of my biggest aggravations is the lips on edges of buildings and roofs. Its nice not to accidentally fall off the building, but when they impede your line of sight they are physically impossible to mount. Pressing the jump button does nothing and if you get a moving start you hurdle it to the ground below.
Oh my god yes this is so damn infuriating. Hopping like a caffeinated chihuahua until you mantle and go flying over the edge is maddening.

sek, what are your go to weapons?
I have not used any LMGs, PDWs, Snipers, DMRs, to speak of so my only two experienced classes are Assault and of course Engineer.

I started into the Carbines right away, and the AK5C is a beast of a weapon, backed up by a lot of talk online about its eventual nerf. I trick it out with HD33 sight (1x), potato grip and heavy barrel. Surprisingly accurate and deadly at medium-long range with short bursts and a fairly high RoF for close encounters.

I've only very recently started using the ACE52 CQB, which is basically an AR in the Carbine family. I've heard it's the strongest of the Carbines overall, and even a good competitor to some ARs, but I've only just last night unlocked heavy barrel and thus far I have been struggling with it at medium range compared to the trusty AK5C.

I've stuck with the SCAR-H for Assault, in the few times I need Assault playing Conquest. It destroys heads at medium range and is bested by Carbines in the spray and pray department. I don't use a grip currently because most grips aid in hip fire and take away from overall accuracy, which is counter-productive to my game-plan when playing Assault.

I'm hard-pressed to desire anything more than the AK5C brings to the table. 666 of my 1400 kills are with it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 26, 2013, 04:21 PM

Oh yeah, grenade? I find the default one is just awful for throwing even mild distances.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2013, 04:27 PM

RGO Impact, they explode shortly after hitting any surface and you can carry two of them. Not nearly as powerful as the standard frag, but I find them more useful. I also love the M28 Slam sticky mines for Engineer class, either throw them on the ground like a normal mine or stick them to vehicles like C4. Useful for when you lace a Tank up and die, they'll still go off ina couple seconds all on their own.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 26, 2013, 05:05 PM

Last night I was in awe of the new animations/physics for aircraft pummeled by rockets. Tipping sideways, going outright upside down and plummeting to earth (and leaving an uncrossable stretch of ground where they hit). I could watch it all day. I finally got my legs underneath me with a few of the vehicles and managed to take a chopper out of the air with the tank. It's no longer an instant kill but the animations mean the person is ****ed 99% of time.

Is it me or did they tone down or remove the vehicle alarms for when you're low on health? I never notice them and my cynical side feels like its DICE trying to prevent people from bailing on them so the attacker gets kills.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2013, 12:43 PM

I have to say sek, I'm jealous of the crazy amount of camos you've unlocked via battlepacks. I don't think I've gotten one yet.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 28, 2013, 02:01 AM

Running with a crew from 3-10 deep, just had an 18 game winning streak, and went 24-2 on the night.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2013, 05:24 AM

You guys want to see a great helicopter pilot in BF4? Checkout Widgitybear over at Twitch. I've watch a few of his matches.

Here's a sample.

Widgitybear - debatably entertaining flight with many boops - Twitch

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2013, 09:01 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2013, 03:03 PM

The way things are:

Dakar sits atop the scoreboard every match.
I hover around the bottom.

Dakar spends half his time killing everyone in sight from a gunship.
I spent half my time getting sniped from all angles.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2013, 04:21 PM

I wish i could get kills from the gunship.

But yes, after Resogun I had to remind you who was the alpha beta male.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
You guys want to see a great helicopter pilot in BF4? Checkout Widgitybear over at Twitch. I've watch a few of his matches.

Here's a sample.

Widgitybear - debatably entertaining flight with many boops - Twitch
He's got good Engineers fixing him up. Everytime I've gotten into Little Birds, everyone bailed when I started to get hit.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2013, 04:55 PM

Any Venom-like choppers in BF4? Always enjoyed being a taxi driver in BF3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2013, 02:45 AM

Oh god, I found the Defuse game type. It's S&D from CoD, only renamed because I don't know why (Meanwhile they changed Conquest Domination to Domination).

Its sooooo good. Except for the randoms. Too many seem to think its Stealth Deathmatch, so you're stuck with some idiot carrying the bomb 2 v 1 and he's not even trying to arm it. Frustrating.

Forum Links
Forum Rules