Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Please help in moving old addresses from Leopard to Yosemite

Please help in moving old addresses from Leopard to Yosemite
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2014, 11:01 AM

What are the best steps for moving address book contents from Leopard to Yosemite?

Use migration or import? And how would I do this?

I've got a full TM back up from my old computer on an external. When I tried to open the
Address Book on this ED a window came up stating: "You can’t open the application “Address Book” because it is in a Time Machine backup." Now there's a little round circle with a diagonal line through it (no entry symbol) sitting on top of the Address Book icon.

When I go into TM and go back to the date of the full backup from the old computer and click on Address Book it says "Restore" but what happens next?

I'm chicken to hit this button and would appreciate some help. I am uncertain and confused thus seeking "clarity".

Thanks so much. Again.

ClaraT

P
Dec 19, 2014, 01:03 PM

Have you tried using migration assistant to move the addresses?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2014, 06:00 PM

On the first Mac, you can open the Address Book/Contacts, press Command-A, or go to Edit in the Menu Bar and choose Select All, then, after all of your contacts have been selected, go to File, down to Export, and over to Export vCard.

The exported file can then be moved to the second Mac by email, flash drive, Dropbox, etc. And, on the second Mac, in Address Book/Contacts, press Command-O, or go to the menu bar and choose, File, down to Import, choose the vCard file that you exported from the first Mac, and all of your contacts will have been transferred.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2014, 10:27 PM

If you're just looking to move your contacts and *only* your contacts, then yes ... exporting them from the old machine and importing them to the new one should work just fine.

If you're using Migration Assistant to move everything, though, the contacts will be moved correctly and automatically as part of that process.

donaldkepler
Dec 22, 2014, 01:29 AM

After installing Yosemite, I used Migration Assistant feature for transferring everything from my old Mac to this new one. But one disadvantage which I noticed is about selecting few categories, applications and files. Either get all or nothing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules