Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AT&T confirms that the 4GB iPhone has been discontinued because of flaws

AT&T confirms that the 4GB iPhone has been discontinued because of flaws
rafrafdesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 06:27 PM

Sounds like Apple and AT&T are really not listening to each other...
This morning, I went to the Apple store in Santa Monica. AT&T told me twice ober the phone that the 4GB iPhone has been discontinued because...it's not working properly. So Apple will be kind to replace the 4GB with a 8GB... so I ask the person at the Genius bar if this is the case. He called the Apple store general manager, Mr. Jeff Wright., who says it wasn't true and call the AT&T people lyers! So I called right back in front of him AT&T and they said it was true... But the manager repeats it's not true. Very Kafka scene... So I am back with my 3rd 4GB iPhone... But the Apple manager offered me to buy an 8GB model for the old price of $599!!! That made me not very happy. Can you believe that AT&T confirmed me three time (total) that the 4GB model has been discontinued because it's full of flaws? But Apple denies! Do the test yourself call AT&T "611"...
And I was one of the first idiots to get an iPhone at the store. Crap.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2007, 06:37 PM

Never trust AT&T with information like that. They lied about a few things on launch day. They will say just about anything to sell more crap.

Trust Apple here. They know why they discontinued the 4GB model, some loser AT&T manager does not. There is NO difference between the 4GB and 8GB models other than the flash memory card. Its not "full of flaws".

rafrafdesign  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 06:42 PM

But having to hear that lie from AT&T 3x times in the past 3 weeks? that means AT&T headquarters are training their employees to say that.
Unless Apple is keeping some flaws away from the public? That wouldn't be the first time that Apple does that. Anyone having problems with their iPhone?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 06:46 PM

What flaws does the 4GB have that the 8GB doesn't?

As far as I know, they just solder different flash memory chips on and the phones are otherwise identical.

rafrafdesign  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 07:09 PM

I don't know what flaws may have the 4GB versus the 8GB, but here is what's not working:
-voice mail wheel spinning;
-quits an application (email or Safari browser)and suddenly goes to the main page; email showing preview 4 lines but not showing actual message unevenly,
-friezes
-clunky, slow on typing
-phone doesn't ring, goes straight to voice mail
-sound quality is full of bass not trebles, poor quality.
-battery is great for about a month then start to shorten.

Well, that's my experience, I am now having a 3rd new model exchanged by Apple. They reconized that the first one with was acting weird. On the second one they didn't aknowledge that it was acting weird, but they agreed to give a third one.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by rafrafdesign View Post
But having to hear that lie from AT&T 3x times in the past 3 weeks? that means AT&T headquarters are training their employees to say that.
Unless Apple is keeping some flaws away from the public? That wouldn't be the first time that Apple does that. Anyone having problems with their iPhone?
Like I said, never trust AT&T when they are talking about a product they have no hand in making and no hand in distribution. They sell the contracts, and they sell the handsets, but they don't know any more than you and I when it comes to internal Apple decisions made about Apple's own hardware.

There are documented cases (plural) of AT&T employees outright lying to people on launch day about availability and exactly what they were allowed to sell and when. I don't care how many times AT&T tells you something about Apple hardware, they cannot be trusted.

If there were major flaws with the 4GB version, we'd all have heard about it by now. Sometimes you get unlucky and get a few lemons in a row. It happens. Doesn't mean there's a conspiracy.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2007, 07:31 PM

The list of the "faults" are not actual defects of your phone.
~Applications shutting down at random. This has been going on since day one and it has to do with the amount of memory in the iPhone and how it spreads it out.
~Slow keyboard, what exactly are you doing here? My keyboard will slow down sometimes when on certain web pages.
~Sound quality, what do you expect from a phone? Not to sound mean on this one, but unless it is all boom.

Some of the other things are problems that I have not had, especially the battery one, which would warrant an exchange, but some are not.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

James L
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
The list of the "faults" are not actual defects of your phone.
~Applications shutting down at random. This has been going on since day one and it has to do with the amount of memory in the iPhone and how it spreads it out.
If this was going on from day one, it was going on during design and testing. If Apple knowingly released a product that doesn't have enough memory to run the applications it ships with without them crashing, how can you say this isn't a defect of the phone?

Edit: Or, are you saying it IS an iPhone defect, but not one that just occurs on his phone?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 09:50 PM

I don't know what flaws may have the 4GB versus the 8GB, but here is what's not working:
-voice mail wheel spinning;
-quits an application (email or Safari browser)and suddenly goes to the main page; email showing preview 4 lines but not showing actual message unevenly,
-friezes
-clunky, slow on typing
-phone doesn't ring, goes straight to voice mail
-sound quality is full of bass not trebles, poor quality.
-battery is great for about a month then start to shorten.
I don't know about 1 and 5, but 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7 are no different between the 4GB and 8GB.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
If this was going on from day one, it was going on during design and testing. If Apple knowingly released a product that doesn't have enough memory to run the applications it ships with without them crashing, how can you say this isn't a defect of the phone?

Edit: Or, are you saying it IS an iPhone defect, but not one that just occurs on his phone?
The only time my phone has gone to the main screen when running one application was stocks and that was completely random.
Now trying to run multiple applications does stress the limits of the phone because now it has to divide the memory properly which can be tough.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2007, 10:11 PM

I'd be suspicious of anything I heard from a salesdrone in any setting. Most AT&T sales help get commissions, so of course the expensive phone is the one they want to sell you. And I'd think that completely dropping any version of the iPhone would be something that would be all over the web-and something that the Genius Bar would have been notified about. Not that I "hate" AT&T wireless or their employees, it's just that salespeople do what they can to sell stuff. Duh. And some of 'em are not above telling you stories to get you to buy expensive stuff. Duh again.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rafrafdesign  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 10:48 PM

Sounds like AT&T is the one to blame?!? But to hear 3 times from 3 different customers service from AT&T? Sounds like they had received a notice to tell this, same way of delivery. It wasn't like some random BS, made up in 10 seconds. And they had nothing to sell on this call, zero commision to say this.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 3, 2007, 10:04 AM

Sounds like AT&T is the one to blame?!? But to hear 3 times from 3 different customers service from AT&T? Sounds like they had received a notice to tell this, same way of delivery. It wasn't like some random BS, made up in 10 seconds. And they had nothing to sell on this call, zero commision to say this.
Salesdrones talk to each other, network with each other, and even get "sales ideas" from each other AND their higher ups. I'd consider their information "suspect" unless there was something on the subject from other sources too. Remember, predatory sales tactics means not caring about the customer, and the salesdrone should be considered predatory unless proven otherwise. Phone sales is a cut-throat business, which really points to predatory practices, not "AT&T sales people know something that Apple sales people don't."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Nov 4, 2007, 12:08 PM

The only ways I can think of the 4GB version being "flawed" is

(1) A bad batch of 4 GB chips; or

(2) 4 GB simply not being enough memory, much like the memory requirements for OS X on the desktop. Remember, the iPhone can't simply swap out memory to disk like OS X on a desktop can.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
(2) 4 GB simply not being enough memory, much like the memory requirements for OS X on the desktop. Remember, the iPhone can't simply swap out memory to disk like OS X on a desktop can.
The 4GB flash in the iPhone is like a hard drive... I suppose OS X light could even use it as swap. The iPhone's memory (RAM) is seperate from the flash storage.

charleskc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 04:20 AM

I am using a 8GB phone. As far as I knew, there is only 300MB space allocated to the apps, the remaining space 7.xx GB (or 3.xx GB in a 4GB version) are allocated for media (songs, pics, movies)files.

The applications size are usually small, from a few hundreds KB to a few MB. Therefore, there should not be "insuffficent memory to run applications problem" unless you installed more than 40+ apps in your iPhone. or one of your applications had put extra data in that 300MB area.

Charles

HazMacFan
Dec 9, 2007, 10:58 AM

Got the 8GB and wife has the 4GB. Both on 1.1.1 with the jailbreakme enabled and both report the 300 MB when I run df on them. Only difference is the amount of storage for the iPod piece. Menus perform at the same speed, AT&T reception is the same and WiFi is the same as well.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2007, 11:15 AM

Lessons learned:
1. Never buy a first revision of any Apple product
2. Never buy any product when it indentures for years to a company like AT&T.

Forum Links
Forum Rules