Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > UK Riots

UK Riots
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2011, 09:33 PM

London.
Birmingham.
Liverpool.
Bristol.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. Can't work out whether it's youths on their own or with some kind of agent provocateurs in there.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2011, 09:39 PM

Prob a mix, before the Vancouver Olympics groups started causing problems looking for any excuse to cause a BIG event. The police shooting was just perfect fuel for that.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2011, 09:41 PM

The same thing is happening in the US, but they're racial riots, and they're being under-reported by the media (for good reason).

The yoofs are getting shrewd and savy.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
The same thing is happening in the US, but they're racial riots, and they're being under-reported by the media (for good reason).
During a phone call I had earlier other party mentioned that there appears to be a distinct lack of native Brits in the riots. But of course, nobody's mentioning the elephant in the room.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 01:49 AM

The Stanley Cup Riot was mostly non native Vancouverites. Also under reported since no one wanted to offend the two ethnic groups that made up the majority of the early rioters before lots of young drunk idiots joined in. The first car on fire which started the main part of the riot was all East Indians. From that point on it grew and every one was involved. The only serious violence, a stabbing was some dudes from Calgary and one of the big fights that resulted in major injuries was some Americans and overseas tourists getting into it.

Love this image

Our near Olympic riots/protests, the violent ones came from Anarchists groups which are the same group that made problems in Toronto for the G20, G8 summits and the same group that caused lots of problems in Seattle for a summit. Small group of 50-100 people get things fired up and going. I wouldn't be surprised if whats going on in London has something to do with the same groups that made a mess of Seattle, Vancouver and Toronto.

screener
Senior User
Aug 9, 2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Love this image
I like this one.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 11:34 AM

That turned out to be a perfect shot at the perfect time. What happened was riot police knocked them over and the dude was just comforting his girl friend, that took place in 10 seconds. Guy was from Australia and was leaving a couple days later. It was such a perfect photo.

finboy
Aug 9, 2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post

The yoofs are getting shrewd and savy.
Yep, they've been ramping up the "flashmob" crap for a few months now.

Why are the UK riots happening? Does anyone know?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 12:07 PM

Government expense cuts.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Yes. There's three reasons:

1) Certain sections of minority communities listen to too much rap.
2) For the last 15-odd years, parents have been told that they can't punish their kids.
3) The lefties are pissed off that their chosen party aren't in power.

Other folks may tell you differently, but I've just told you the truth.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 12:20 PM

Thick bastards took all the TVs and left the Macs. That should tell you a lot.

screener
Senior User
Aug 9, 2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post

Thick bastards took all the TVs and left the Macs. That should tell you a lot.
They don't keep Macs in stock?
I'd take the ones in a protected box.

screener
Senior User
Aug 9, 2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Timeline: Britain reels from riots after police shooting

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by screener View Post
That's bullshit. The shooting might have triggered a protest, but the current riots are simply "smash and loot because nobody's stopping them".

screener
Senior User
Aug 9, 2011, 12:53 PM

That's bullshit. The shooting might have triggered a protest, but the current riots are simply "smash and loot because nobody's stopping them".
During a phone call I had earlier other party mentioned that there appears to be a distinct lack of native Brits in the riots. But of course, nobody's mentioning the elephant in the room.
You can tell that how?

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by screener View Post
You can tell that how?
Because I'm in Britain and know how the place works.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 01:50 PM

Totally a police cover up and F* up, BBC News - Mark Duggan death: 'No evidence' Tottenham man opened fire
"The police watchdog said ballistic tests showed "no evidence that the handgun found at the scene was fired"."

"The initial results confirmed a bullet found lodged in a police officer's radio was police issue."

"Forensic officers have told the IPCC it may not be possible to "say for certain" whether the handgun found near Mr Duggan was fired."
That second one is total BS, I don't by that comment at all, that its not possible to say for certain if the gun by Mr Duggan was fired. Its pretty dam easy to tell if a gun has been fired and Forensic people can def tell.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 02:10 PM

There were riots long before rap.

For the last 15-odd years, parents have been told that they can't punish their kids.
There were riots long before that.

The lefties are pissed off that their chosen party aren't in power.
I don't think the kids stealing DVD players are politically engaged.

The real cause: youths are taking advantage of a crisis.

BTW Doofy, congrats, you gave Athens another thread to bitch about minorities.

Poor people riot. Poor people are disproportionately non-white. Some people will complain about the disproportionately high numbers of black rioters, but why don't they ever complain about the disproportionately high numbers of poor blacks? If we are gonna talk elephants, let's discuss all of them.

Regarding the killing of Mark Duggan by the police, why am I not surprised that the police have so much trouble getting their story straight? Police watchdog: Duggan didn't shoot at police.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 02:16 PM

That second one is total BS, I don't by that comment at all, that its not possible to say for certain if the gun by Mr Duggan was fired. Its pretty dam easy to tell if a gun has been fired and Forensic people can def tell.
The reporting is off. The gun wasn't fired. Loaded, but not fired.

However, if you wave a gun around in front of CO19, you're going to get shot - end of story. It's roughly equivalent to waving a rocket launcher at a US SWAT team.
1) Handguns are illegal here.
2) You don't get CO19 up your chuff unless you're a serious criminal.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
There were riots long before rap.
I'm referring to these riots.

There were riots long before that.

I don't think the kids stealing DVD players are politically engaged.
BBC News - London rioters: 'Showing the rich we do what we want'

BTW Doofy, congrats, you gave Athens another thread to bitch about minorities.
What Athens does ain't on me. I'm just reporting the truth.

Poor people riot. Poor people are disproportionately non-white. Some people will complain about the disproportionately high numbers of black rioters, but why don't they ever complain about the disproportionately high numbers of poor blacks? If we are gonna talk elephants, let's discuss all of them.
We don't really have "poor blacks" here in the way you're thinking. There's certainly not a disproportionately number of poor people who're non-white. This is not Amerika.

Right. Must run - I've got to go oppress some black people. Especially the hot rich female ones who keep inviting me to regattas.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 02:43 PM

And how do you know these riots are caused by this?
Sure, I guess that proves your point, except it doesn't. Has there never been a riot when the Labour party was in power? Oh right, we're not talking about all riots, just this one, right?
We don't really have "poor blacks" here in the way you're thinking. There's certainly not a disproportionately number of poor people who're non-white. This is not Amerika.
Well, you enjoy that racially-egalitarian society you claim to have, then.
Right. Must run - I've got to go oppress some black people. Especially the hot rich female ones who keep inviting me to regattas.
Commenting on the unfairness of society is not the same as blaming all whites. But I guess being defensive rather than caring about the problem works well enough for you.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 03:04 PM

And how do you know these riots are caused by this?
Because I'm a little more connected than you realise.

Oh right, we're not talking about all riots, just this one, right?
Yes, that's right. I'd have titled the thread "UK Riots Throughout History" if I was talking about all of them, wouldn't I?

Well, you enjoy that racially-egalitarian society you claim to have, then.
Commenting on the unfairness of society is not the same as blaming all whites. But I guess being defensive rather than caring about the problem works well enough for you.
I'll say it again - we haven't got a racial problem here (except in the minds of a very small number of people), so there's nothing to care about.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 04:03 PM

The reporting is off. The gun wasn't fired. Loaded, but not fired.

However, if you wave a gun around in front of CO19, you're going to get shot - end of story. It's roughly equivalent to waving a rocket launcher at a US SWAT team.
1) Handguns are illegal here.
2) You don't get CO19 up your chuff unless you're a serious criminal.
The exact same thing would have happened here. Not disputing how the police responded. Show a hand gun, going to get shot. That's pretty cut and dry. But the way they are reporting information about what happened is hurting them. They are not being consistent which is making it look like a cover up even if its not. That's what it appeared like in that article from 4000km away.

And I must apologize for my Canadian brother, lpkmckenna, you see he lives in Utopia, a very sheltered City of perfection with no exposure to the real world. Any kind of comment that isn't anti White is going to be meet with a claim of Racism. Only being anti white is allowed when discussing anything racial.
( Last edited by Athens; Aug 9, 2011 at 04:11 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2011, 06:54 PM

When did they become CO19? I thought they were called SO19.

Most of these rioters are just greedy, lazy thieves. They aren't pissed off with the government or oppressed, they just want the latest toys and don't want to have to earn the cash for them honestly. They've probably been waiting for any excuse to kick off.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 08:26 PM

And I must apologize for my Canadian brother, lpkmckenna, you see he lives in Utopia, a very sheltered City of perfection with no exposure to the real world.
Yes, we've never had a riot in Toronto.

Any kind of comment that isn't anti White is going to be meet with a claim of Racism. Only being anti white is allowed when discussing anything racial.
That's right, any and all complaints about racism are anti-white.

On a different note, here's a comment on the riot situation from a different perspective, from a riot-sympathizer: World Blog - The sad truth behind London riot
As political and social protests grip the Middle East, are growing in Europe and a riot exploded in north London this weekend, here's a sad truth, expressed by a Londoner when asked by a television reporter: Is rioting the correct way to express your discontent?

"Yes," said the young man. "You wouldn't be talking to me now if we didn't riot, would you?"

The TV reporter from Britain's ITV had no response. So the young man pressed his advantage. "Two months ago we marched to Scotland Yard, more than 2,000 of us, all blacks, and it was peaceful and calm and you know what? Not a word in the press. Last night a bit of rioting and looting and look around you."

Eavesdropping from among the onlookers, I looked around. A dozen TV crews and newspaper reporters interviewing the young men everywhere.

The truth is that discontent has been simmering among Britain's urban poor for years, and few have paid attention. Social activists say one out of two children in Tottenham live in poverty. It's one of the poorest areas of Britain. Britain's worst riots in decades took place here in 1985. A policeman was hacked to death. After these riots, the same young man pointed out, "They built us a swimming pool."
So I guess riots really work.

But Doofy says there isn't a real problem with racism in Britain! I guess those 2000 black men marching to Scotland Yard were delivering flowers or something.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 08:58 PM

Why does there have to be a racist problem for there to be poor black people? Chances are a lot of people in Tottenham are prob poor, including white and other ethnic majorities. Its a poor area of the city. How well off do you think you will be moving to a poor area like Tottenham? Every city has a poor area except maybe perfect Toronto. Vancouver's east end is the poorest place in Canada. Race has little to do with it. cheap housing because of lower property value and crime draws in poor people from all over the region. Then services for the poor people spring up attracting more poor people. Next thing you know you have a large poor area that has attracted lots of poor people. I don't know much about London or Tottenham but I imagine its a similar situation. Already poor, cheap and attracts poor people because of this. I don't know how you can call this a problem with racism in the UK. Seriously you look for racism everywhere you can. Im sorry some a-holes ruined your life at some point to make you this way but we are not all racist out to get you. Drop the victim mentality because thats whats fuelling this violence. Im a victim so im going to smash things. The smashing isn't helping create a better place to live its scaring off the businesses that would provide better jobs to make things better.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 08:58 PM

So I guess riots really work.
Make your mind up - a couple posts back you were saying it wasn't politically motivated.

But Doofy says there isn't a real problem with racism in Britain! I guess those 2000 black men marching to Scotland Yard were delivering flowers or something.
1) I told you there isn't a problem except in the minds of a very small minority. Basically those who think whitey is keeping them down because they don't want to admit that they're keeping themselves down.

2) You just took the word of a rioting criminal scrote as gospel.

Let's face it, you're now scrambling around for scraps just for the sake of arguing with me.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
When did they become CO19? I thought they were called SO19.
(Probably a rebranding/restructuring due to the Menezes incident.)

Most of these rioters are just greedy, lazy thieves. They aren't pissed off with the government
Umm, yes they are. They're pissed off that under the cutbacks they might lose their dole - and such a thing would obviously never happen under Labour. In their tiny heads, "cutbacks" means "I won't be able to go buy a six-pack of Special Brew and some Columbian marching powder because whitey/Toryboy is keeping me down".

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2011, 09:43 PM

Its too organised to be an outpouring of pent up aggression. Being pissed off is not the reason they are stealing stuff. Everyone is pissed off at the government all the time. They always have been during my lifetime and most likely always will be till long after I'm gone.
I don't think being pissed off is really their motivation. Just lazy thieves hiding behind a political agenda.

If you want to collect dole money for more than a month or two you should have to perform community service in exchange for the money. Every month. There should be plenty of community service for them all to do now too.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

k2director
Senior User
Aug 9, 2011, 10:00 PM

Yep! Great assessment.

You can also add something else to the list: a nanny-state socialist culture that meets everybody's basic needs without requiring them to do a stitch of work for it, and therefore robs them of any sense of dignity, self-worth or the drive to get ahead (honestly and legally, that is....looting doesn't count as "getting ahead").

People who receive permanent welfare end up just sitting around and atrophying, like caged animals at a zoo, and every once in a while a few of the animals break loose and run wild before they're shot (sadly, none of the animals in London will get shot...at least this time).

Some people are claiming this riot is what happens when the "safety net" fails, but it's actually what happens when the safety net succeeds all too well. The feral youths tearing up London don't miss meals and all of them have roofs over their heads. I would also ****LOVE**** to see an accounting of how they spend their time, and bet that they waste vast number of hours playing video games, watching tv, hanging out on the street, etc. etc. In other words, these are not plucky Horatio Alger heroes who are being beaten down by a brutal system.

But their families came to Britain over the last few decades, from sh*t-hole places where they faced true destitution, and were immediately enrolled in generous social welfare programs that made it possible to fail, and yet keep on living (unlike their countries of origin).

It must have seemed like a paradise to a lot of those immigrants, given where they came from. The British dole was certainly far better than anything they had been offered back home, and so you can imagine how there wasn't much motivation to push on past all the free stuff and become truly independent. Then those people started having children who only knew a world where their parents work low-end jobs or no jobs at all, and so the children become do-nothings as well (except they don't know how good they've got it, compared to where their parents came from). Add a little excess testosterone to the mix (as teenage males are known to have), and certain ethnicity's tendency to glorify gangster culture, and voila: the London riots.

There is a silver lining to all of this, though, and that's that more people are beginning to seriously question the idiot ideas of multiculturalism and socialism.

Yes. There's three reasons:

2) For the last 15-odd years, parents have been told that they can't punish their kids.
3) The lefties are pissed off that their chosen party aren't in power.

Other folks may tell you differently, but I've just told you the truth.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 10:14 PM

Make your mind up - a couple posts back you were saying it wasn't politically motivated.
I didn't say that it was my opinion, I said it was the opinion of a riot-sympathizer.

Incidentally, I came across this: ‪London Riots. (The BBC will never replay this. Send it out)‬‏ - YouTube

I told you there isn't a problem except in the minds of a very small minority. Basically those who think whitey is keeping them down because they don't want to admit that they're keeping themselves down.
The exact same sentiment is expressed all the time by some Americans, the people you claim really do have a racism problem. The funny thing about "a very small minority" is that more than half of any minority group is still a very small minority.
You just took the word of a rioting criminal scrote as gospel.
I did? Which part? The fact that the news almost never covers protest marches is well known.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by k2director View Post
Some people are claiming this riot is what happens when the "safety net" fails, but it's actually what happens when the safety net succeeds all too well.
I disagree. It is a failure of the safety net because if the other parts of the net was working people would not be living for long periods of time on welfare. If its a drug problem then detox is failing. If its a marital social problem then support is failing. If its lack of skills and education then retaining and placement is failing. Welfare is only ONE part of a safety net. If the other parts are not working people stay on welfare way to long.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2011, 04:25 AM

Yep! Great assessment.
May G-d bless you, k2.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

screener
Senior User
Aug 10, 2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
May G-d bless you, k2.
Ah jeez, religion enters the thread.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2011, 05:16 AM

I disagree. It is a failure of the safety net because if the other parts of the net was working people would not be living for long periods of time on welfare. If its a drug problem then detox is failing. If its a marital social problem then support is failing. If its lack of skills and education then retaining and placement is failing. Welfare is only ONE part of a safety net. If the other parts are not working people stay on welfare way to long.
You still need an incentive to get off it as it turns out. Under Blair and labour the UK because a place where anyone prepared to claim they were emotionally unable to cope with work could live very nicely without lifting a finger. They could do so indefinitely without any reassessment.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2011, 06:27 AM

Darcus Howe is a complete tool.
Note where he's trying to make Duggan out to be an angel and saying the cops "blew his head off". Respectable family men don't carry guns and don't get CO19 up their chuff. And the cops shot him in the chest.
It's Howe's job to be an arsehole - that's what his career is built on.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2011, 06:31 AM

I see no connection between organized looting and "protesting against the government," whether there was a valid reason to protest or not. And with the combination of complexity and widespread impact, I think someone is pushing these riots; agents provacateurs? Sure. Who? I don't know.

Is the Riot Act still in force? Sounds like a really strong tool here. Or just pull a couple of fire trucks up at either end of a street full of punks smashing and looting, and open up on them with 3" hoses... Kind of hard to argue that this is "excessive force," since it's difficult to do more than knock people on their bums (quite hard) this way, and by taking strong action, the kids who get swept up in the moment will get a message that they don't have carte blanche to descend into barbarism two blocks from home...Except that it's two days too late for this action.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Is the Riot Act still in force?
No, it was replaced by the Public Order Act 1986.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2011, 09:53 AM

This site is funny but it also clearly shows that the looting has very little to do with race.

photoshoplooter

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2011, 10:15 AM

This site is funny but it also clearly shows that the looting has very little to do with race.
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Did you actually look at the pictures?

Afro-Carribean in UK: 1%
Afro-Carribean in London: 4.7%
Afro-Carribean in riot pics: >4.7%

We can't rule race out of the equation.

Actual conversation I had once...
Del: I'm black so I don't get the opportunities everyone else gets.
Doof: How's your Mercedes running Del?
Del: It's great.

This is the mentality that certain parts of the black community have instilled into them from birth. Not all obviously, but a small minority of "self-ghettoised" ones.
White folks do it to, but usually blame the Tories for oppressing them rather than whitey (and again, the idea is instilled into them from birth). And let's face it, all of us English are constantly thinking of ways to continue oppressing the Scottish.
So, it's part of human nature to do this kind of thing - but in this instance we can't rule out the perceived oppression that they're "fighting against" being race-based.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2011, 11:32 AM

Its not race its cultural. These people have a different culture background. A born and raised black Brit raised British isn't going to be acting like these Caribbean raised people, even if some of them are born in the UK.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2011, 12:16 PM

Talk about bad timing… or shitty marketing.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol Photo Still

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2011, 12:31 PM

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Did you actually look at the pictures?

Afro-Carribean in UK: 1%
Afro-Carribean in London: 4.7%
Afro-Carribean in riot pics: >4.7%

We can't rule race out of the equation.
The news is talking like its only black people rioting and looting. The pics clearly show that this is not the case.

And let's face it, all of us English are constantly thinking of ways to continue oppressing the Scottish.
So, it's part of human nature to do this kind of thing - but in this instance we can't rule out the perceived oppression that they're "fighting against" being race-based.
Didn't you know that giving a country a share of the budget disproportionately larger than its share of the total population was oppressive?

Weren't you claiming this wasn't race related earlier?! (I haven't checked, maybe you weren't)

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2011, 03:04 PM

The news is talking like its only black people rioting and looting.
Well I don't know that since I don't own a TV.

Weren't you claiming this wasn't race related earlier?! (I haven't checked, maybe you weren't)
It's a bizarre, complex thing. It's not race related in reality, but might be race related in the minds of some of the perps.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2011, 03:08 PM

There is a silver lining to all of this, though, and that's that more people are beginning to seriously question the idiot ideas of multiculturalism and socialism.
The saddest thing is, this sort of thing is the INTENDED end-result. Statists view it as a SUCCESS when they've got people as far on the dole as this- it was the plan all along.

It's what a statist is really talking about when they use language like "We need to transform society..." and all the other assorted claptrap. This is the 'change' they want. This is what many 'Hope' for.

Why? Because the more losers on the dole like this that depend on big nanny state for everything they think they might someday get from it (never realizing it NEVER delivers SQUAT to them in reality) the more they keep big nanny state nitwits in POWER. That's the goal. Always has been, always will be.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2011, 03:18 PM

Crash is right. This is exactly how Labour have been operating for the last decade in order to secure votes.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2011, 03:32 PM

n/m, already posted.

-t

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2011, 03:35 PM

Yep. If you can get a huge segment of society addicted to the opiate of state "entitlements," you will secure their votes and secure control over society, all the while maintaining the illusion of enfranchisement and liberty.

k2director
Senior User
Aug 10, 2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
May G-d bless you, k2.
You too Big Mac! I'm a big fan....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2011, 09:20 PM

Well I don't know that since I don't own a TV.
You don't need one

TVCatchup - Never Miss A Show Again

Forum Links
Forum Rules