Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Coffee fans unite!

Coffee fans unite!
milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 08:06 PM

One of things I miss about my old job was the free Flavia coffee. Stick a French Roast packet into the machine and voila, you've got fresh cup of coffee.

I enjoy coffee. I love the smell and taste of coffee. So rich and aromatic.

Now that I work from home, I miss having coffee and don't have a machine to make it. Has anyone tried out Gevalia Coffee? You get a free coffee maker and also get coffee sent to you every few weeks.

Or I could always get my own machine and always shop around for the beans. I hear Peerless Cofee from San Francisco is very good.

What do you think?
F = ma

jonn804
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by milhous
One of things I miss about my old job was the free Flavia coffee. Stick a French Roast packet into the machine and voila, you've got fresh cup of coffee.

I enjoy coffee. I love the smell and taste of coffee. So rich and aromatic.

Now that I work from home, I miss having coffee and don't have a machine to make it. Has anyone tried out Gevalia Coffee? You get a free coffee maker and also get coffee sent to you every few weeks.

Or I could always get my own machine and always shop around for the beans. I hear Peerless Cofee from San Francisco is very good.

What do you think?
We get free Maxwell House (the parent ownes Kraft).
-------------------
Dual G5 2.0, MBP, 23" ACD and 30" ACD, 1 TB storage, iPods

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 08:23 PM

I'm addicted to coffee. I literally cannot function without it. I can substitute other caffeine products for a short time, but ultimately I need to return to my regular coffee intake.

Right now, I drink a pot of coffee a day. If I also start work in the morning, I'll probably drink two pots that day.

I prefer Tim Horton's coffee, but I occasionally buy Maxwell House.

shecky
Aug 1, 2006, 08:47 PM

after 15 years of 3-5 cups of coffee a day (since senior year in high school) i recently made a partial switch to tea- Irish Breakfast Tea to be exact. i now do about 75% tea and 25% coffee each week and i feel a lot better, my stomach does not feel as acidy, my breath is a heck of a lot better, and i find tea to be better for me in terms of nutrition because i take my tea with milk instead of the cream i use in coffee, and less sugar than coffee.

but i do love my one daily AM cup of coffee. i have found that the French Press method makes the best cup of coffee provided you have a decent grinder and are reasonably meticulous in your brewing. i get my coffee from my local non-corporate coffee roaster, Coffee Exchange ( http://www.coffeexchange.com/ ) but in a fix a Starbucks Americano will do as well.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 09:06 PM

Coffee is the best drink on earth.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 09:20 PM

I dropped Gevalia after 9 years for The Roasterie: http://www.theroasterie.com/

Also, check out Coffee Review: http://coffeereview.com/index.cfm
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 09:37 PM

I'm very fond of Terroir Coffee... mmm, northern Italian espresso... mmm

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 09:38 PM

Gevalia puts out some excellent coffees, but they ain't cheap.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 09:55 PM

I haven't been happy with Terroir. The beans aren't nearly as fresh as the one from The Roasterie in my experience.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 10:29 AM

I roast my own beans (sometimes blends, sometimes not) on a weekly basis (they're only fresh for about 10 days after roasting).

Green coffee beans can be had through online co-ops for ave. $2/lb. You can buy in bulk because it doesn't go bad nearly as quickly as roasted (6 mo. up to a couple years v. 1 week). Tastes better than the vast majority of "professional" coffee I've had, too.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 11:41 AM

I heard about that Gevalia coffee; isn't it with green beans, and it is from Jamaica?

Maxwell house is not a coffee, it pretends to be a coffee but it is under a bad disguise.

Mine are from starbucks, Al Van Houtte. I love very strong quality coffee, I drink 2 cups a day.

lpkmckenna, don't you think 2 pots is much to much and you will run into some deep problems with high blood pressure.

Warning, the day you will stop drinking that much coffee, you will have migraines. What coffee does is diminished the blood flow in your brain, so when you stop drinking that much coffee, the blood flow in your brain increases and causes some really bad headaches for a while, but it does not last. The National Geographic had an excellent article on Caffeine.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2006, 11:41 AM

For home I like Community, hazelnut flavor, with hazelnut cream. Mmmmm...

At Starbucks, all i get is a caramel frap. I'm not imaginative or adventurous.

Rumor
Aug 2, 2006, 11:53 AM

Stabuck's coffee sucks.

I drink Big River Coffee Co., Thanksgiving, or Adam's Organics.

For the record, Maxwell House, Folders, and that crap with the guy and the donkey are NOT coffee.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Monique
I heard about that Gevalia coffee; isn't it with green beans, and it is from Jamaica?
Gevalia markets many different kinds of coffees, including Jamaican Blue Mountain. But they are all pre-roasted, AFAIK. You can get either ground or whole-bean versions of most varieties.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2006, 11:58 AM

Warning, the day you will stop drinking that much coffee, you will have migraines. What coffee does is diminished the blood flow in your brain, so when you stop drinking that much coffee, the blood flow in your brain increases and causes some really bad headaches for a while, but it does not last. The National Geographic had an excellent article on Caffeine.
The same thing happens when you try to stop drinking Mountain Dew. Every time that I go about 10 hours or so without one, I start getting a splitting headache. It feels like it's several inches directly behind my eyes. So I just drink a Dew.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2006, 12:02 PM

ice

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 12:14 PM

Blue Mountain coffee in Jamaica - best I've ever had. It's too expensive in the states, so I don't buy it. The only thing that comes close is Starbuck's French Roast whole bean, which I consume intravenously.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 12:14 PM

IceEnclosure: that's a lot of coffee you're about to drink! You're about to drink all of it, right? Grinding anytime but right before brewing is a bad idea--it goes stale quite quickly. I guess if you're making it mocha, though, the chocolate will compensate.

osiris: your sig: Jack Bauer or Duke Nukem?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2006, 12:28 PM

It's some coffee my roommate gets, it's already ground and vacuum packed, but he throws it in the tupperware after he opens it. eh, it tastes good.

and yea, no, the vodka isn't part of the morning ritual

I'm not afraid of a banana-caramel frap from Starbucks. Don't be snobs people, that **** tastes like heaven.
ice

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater

osiris: your sig: Jack Bauer or Duke Nukem?
Sorry, not even close. (Duke Nukem? )

That's Hunter Thompson - my favorite writer/deranged human.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 01:24 PM

Joke

Striking resemblance, though, no?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Joke

Striking resemblance, though, no?
Definately a resemblance. But perhaps you meant the other Duke - Duke, Raoul?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 02:33 PM

lpkmckenna, don't you think 2 pots is much to much and you will run into some deep problems with high blood pressure.

Actually, I have very low blood pressure. I think the caffeine helps push me up to "normal."

I do get headaches without caffeine, but it usually takes a couple of days. A few years ago, I was staying with my parents, helping my dad build a deck next to their house. I didn't know they drank only decaf. By the third day, I felt really run-down and had a dull headache.

I tried to quit caffeine about two years ago. I was left feeling very run-down, even after several weeks. I simply don't have much natural energy and "pep" without it.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 02:58 PM

Do yourselves a favor and get a good burr grinder. Coffee loses a lot of it's flavor about 3-5 minutes after it's ground. Of course, this only matters if you use good beans.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 03:03 PM

My "trick" with Terroir is to get my beans from a couple of local cafes where I know people... and if I give some notice, I can get überfresh beans within 24hrs.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules