Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > You know that you are getting older when ...

You know that you are getting older when ...
Thread Tools
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 18, 2009, 12:50 PM
 
... the hair that grows out of your nostrils* is grey.



*WTF with nostril hair ANYWAY. I didn't have it / need it when I was 20, why do I have it when I'm 37 FFS?
     
Atheist
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Back in the Good Ole US of A
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 18, 2009, 01:21 PM
 
Just wait till it starts growing on your ears!
     
Thorzdad
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 18, 2009, 02:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by atheist View Post
just wait till it starts growing on in your ears!
ftfy.
When I want your opinion,-
I'll read it in your entrails
     
alligator
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Minnesota
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 18, 2009, 04:52 PM
 
Shaving your ears is a @#%&#%!
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 18, 2009, 04:55 PM
 
Maybe someone can suggest a good nose/ear trimmer. I bought one and all it seemed to do is YANK out the hairs. I can do that with tweezers. Ouch.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 04:16 AM
 
Ahhhh, now the old men get together and talk about how their body is going to pot, and what we use to at least maintain an air of decency in public. Love it.

The wife bought a me cheapo nose and ear trimmer. Works well. Not Braun but somethign else that starts with B IIRC.
     
Tiresias
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Korea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 08:01 AM
 
How disappointing. I thought this was going to be a thread of "You know you're getting old when... " jokes.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 08:17 AM
 
Small, short-bladed scissors and a good mirror help with trimming the nasal jungle. I use my beard trimmer to manage the foliage on my ears. Fortunately it's mostly ON and not IN my ears.

Oh, and beware: facial hair seems to start graying earlier than scalp hair. My beard is a lot more gray than my scalp is. Fortunately, I'm actually "silvering" rather than graying...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 08:20 AM
 
^ You realise the difference between silvering and greying is only that “I silver, everyone else greys”, right?
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 08:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
^ You realise the difference between silvering and greying is only that “I silver, everyone else greys”, right?
In some cases, yes. In reality, it's the difference between the pigment "tapering off very slowly" and "stopping altogether." Silver hair isn't just cleaner than gray; it has far less pigmentation. That's a genetic thing, and both my wife and I got good genes for "the end of hair color."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 08:37 AM
 
From the ST thread:




Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
In some cases, yes. In reality, it's the difference between the pigment "tapering off very slowly" and "stopping altogether." Silver hair isn't just cleaner than gray; it has far less pigmentation. That's a genetic thing, and both my wife and I got good genes for "the end of hair color."
Denial is a powerful thing...
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 08:41 AM
 
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Denial is a powerful thing...
Yeah, but when you see the pictures I post later in the week, you'll see that the truth is more powerful.

Seriously, I see a lot of chromatic difference between "gray" hair and silver hair. Gray hair looks almost dirty, while silver looks almost platinum blond. My wife is going platinum, and I'm a very lucky man.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 08:48 AM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Yeah, but when you see the pictures I post later in the week, you'll see that the truth is more powerful.

Seriously, I see a lot of chromatic difference between "gray" hair and silver hair. Gray hair looks almost dirty, while silver looks almost platinum blond. My wife is going platinum, and I'm a very lucky man.
Even if there is a shred of truth to what you say, only you perceive it that way. To everyone else, it's grey.
     
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 08:49 AM
 
Gawd I hate the GLASSES!
     
mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 08:58 AM
 
Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Gawd I hate the GLASSES!
Depends what they are filled with. My preference is beer.
     
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 09:20 AM
 
I know I'm getting old. Most of the surface ships and submarines I've been on are decommissioned. Let's see:

USS John F. Kennedy GONE
USS Saratoga GONE
USS Enterprise Still here, for a few more years
USS Guam GONE
USS Yorktown GONE
USS Wasp Still here
USS Nassau Still here, but going next year I think
USS Hyman G. Rickover GONE
USS Phoenix GONE
USS Trepang GONE
USS Key West Still here

And the squadron, VAQ-128 GONE

Damn.
     
mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 09:25 AM
 
You need more than just nose-clippers ctt1wbw.

     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 09:26 AM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Ahhhh, now the old men get together and talk about how their body is going to pot, and what we use to at least maintain an air of decency in public. Love it.

The wife bought a me cheapo nose and ear trimmer. Works well. Not Braun but somethign else that starts with B IIRC.
BIC allcaps
     
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 10:06 AM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
You need more than just nose-clippers ctt1wbw.

Ha! I already have some. Damned hair should only grow on the head. But after all those ships, my hair on my head was pretty much gone, so now I just the blade and go smooth.
     
Randman
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MacNN database error. Please refresh your browser.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 12:02 PM
 
Just had an eye exam and my previously perfect vision is no more. Doc recommended +75 reading glasses to help magnify things. So sad.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
     
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 03:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by Randman
Doc recommended +75 reading glasses to help magnify things.
I’m going to go out on a limb here and presume that you use different scales of measurement when measuring glasses than we do. My father has quite strong glasses, and he has +4 in one eye and -3.75 in the other (which is odd in itself, but not nearly as odd as +75 sounds—that’s like the Hubble Telescope or something).
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 06:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I know I'm getting old. Most of the surface ships and submarines I've been on are decommissioned. Let's see:

USS John F. Kennedy GONE
USS Saratoga GONE
USS Enterprise Still here, for a few more years
USS Guam GONE
USS Yorktown GONE
USS Wasp Still here
USS Nassau Still here, but going next year I think
USS Hyman G. Rickover GONE
USS Phoenix GONE
USS Trepang GONE
USS Key West Still here

And the squadron, VAQ-128 GONE

Damn.
There are bases I spent plenty of time at that are gone-Bergstrom and Howard AFBs, Albrook AFS too. We tried to show our son the hospital he was born in, but we got there AFTER they tore it down after Bergstrom closed. It's sad.

You were on JFK AND Enterprise? Aircrew or support?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 07:45 PM
 
Ship's company stuff. Not aircrew.
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2009, 09:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I’m going to go out on a limb here and presume that you use different scales of measurement when measuring glasses than we do. My father has quite strong glasses, and he has +4 in one eye and -3.75 in the other (which is odd in itself, but not nearly as odd as +75 sounds—that’s like the Hubble Telescope or something).
Unless I'm mistaken, +75 = +0.75 diopters.

Lenses usually vary in strength by 0.25 increments, and prescriptions are usually written as three numbers (with 2 decimal places). ie. +4.00 and -3.75.
     
Randman
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MacNN database error. Please refresh your browser.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2009, 12:12 AM
 
Yes, 1.0 is the closest I can get at most places but the doc recommended .75.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
     
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2009, 04:26 AM
 
Originally Posted by Eug
Unless I'm mistaken, +75 = +0.75 diopters.
Ah. I see. Yeah. That would make sense. Ahem.

[Note to self: Posting while writing exam papers—not a good idea.]
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2009, 05:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
^ You realise the difference between silvering and greying is only that “I silver, everyone else greys”, right?
Nope.

Silver:

     
Tiresias
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Korea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2009, 07:16 AM
 
^ Is that you, Mr Spheric Harlot?
     
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2009, 07:52 AM
 
OMFG I hope not. That's one ugly dude!
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2009, 07:54 AM
 
Oh, no.

That's Bob Moog, may he oscillate in peace.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2009, 08:15 AM
 
Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I know I'm getting old. Most of the surface ships and submarines I've been on are decommissioned. <snip>
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
There are bases I spent plenty of time at that are gone-Bergstrom and Howard AFBs, Albrook AFS too. We tried to show our son the hospital he was born in, but we got there AFTER they tore it down after Bergstrom closed. It's sad.

You were on JFK AND Enterprise? Aircrew or support?
Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Ship's company stuff. Not aircrew.
This is another indication that you're no kid anymore: you have been places and done things that other people have been to/done too. Of course really old guys just sit around and swap "war stories." They start out "there I was..." or "this is no s***..." and go downhill from there.

Seriously, one real hallmark of "getting older" is experience, particularly shared experience. That's why "old guys" in corporate settings get stuff done so quickly; they know all the other old guys in their industry.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2009, 08:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Nope.

Silver:

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Oh, no.

That's Bob Moog, may he oscillate in peace.
God Bless Bob. What a creative guy! And yes, "silver."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2009, 08:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
This is another indication that you're no kid anymore: you have been places and done things that other people have been to/done too. Of course really old guys just sit around and swap "war stories." They start out "there I was..." or "this is no s***..." and go downhill from there.

Seriously, one real hallmark of "getting older" is experience, particularly shared experience. That's why "old guys" in corporate settings get stuff done so quickly; they know all the other old guys in their industry.
LOL I never got shot at, but I have some interesting stories to tell. Some of the cooler ones involve shooting off the Saratoga during bad weather, with the bow going up and down in the storm. That was damned fun ride, man! And then doing "angles and dangles" in a submarine, trying to maintain my footing and sliding everywhere. Then one time on the Kennedy, some hotshot in an F-14 did a supersonic flyby near the flight deck and I swear to God I thought we had been hit by a torpedo! I was knocked off my chair. Scared the **** out of me! And then one time at band camp...
     
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2009, 08:51 AM
 
Oh, and then on the Wasp in the Norwegian sea in March one year... 50 foot waves tearing the **** out of the catwalks on the side of the ship. We suffered quite a bit of damage in that crap. One of the other ships in our group suffered cracks in the superstructure. The sea isn't something to fool around with, let me tell you.
     
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Suffolk, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2009, 08:54 AM
 
Oh yeah, one more thing. I almost ALMOST got washed over the side from a rogue wave on the Enterprise. I was on one of the smoking sponsons at the time. There was about 30 people on it, talking and smoking and laughing it up when this wave came, must have been over 30 feet high, and washed us all out. We were under water, about 30 feet up from the waterline. Some people got injured because the wave knocked them around and bounced them off around the chocks on the sponson. Scared the **** out me, but afterward all we could do was laugh at it to get the tension out.
     
PB2K
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2009, 06:25 AM
 
i meet old acquintances sometimes , they are my age. what striked me was that they have wrinkled faces ! now i don't look old at all but it made me look twice in the mirror to check if i have wrinkles around my mouth and eyes like they have.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}
     
Tiresias
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Korea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2009, 07:27 AM
 
Cool stories ctt1wbw.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,