Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Teasing Meanly

Teasing Meanly (Page 5)
swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 18, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
It wasn't hyped more than a teaser poster posted one day before release. I think some ppl here went insane and expected a little too much. And they overhyped it.
Nonetheless, it's still a very great product.
Its just like us Mac users, leading up to MWSF every year we let our imaginations run rampant and then the releases come and we smile at some stuff but mostly just complain about what we would've liked more

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 02:36 PM

It wasn't hyped more than a teaser poster posted one day before release. I think some ppl here went insane and expected a little too much. And they overhyped it.
I knew it would be what it IS. I'm not in the least disappointed. I had a slight hope it would open a few more enhancement options, but I'm quite happy with what it is. And I also play no buy it as soon as I can.

Edit: If you're getting bent out of sape over a cool theme changer, that does everything it should, you need to get a life!
( Last edited by NetworkShadow; Nov 18, 2003 at 02:44 PM. )
click one

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by zell:
you dont deserve a medal because you spent time developing a program you intend to make money off. sorry, i dont think youll be getting the nobel peace prize for this one.
Hey guy - no offense, but I don't think anybody's getting rich here - unless you know what's happening behind the scenes, how can you say whether somebody has dedicated their time for love or money. Right now I think the idea is to cover the cost of development and distribution... believe me, there's been a lot of sacrifices made by all parties.

Also, the hype was appropriate - any assumptions and speculation were simply that. ShapeShifter does change everything - a little more figuratively for the time being (one reliable memory based switcher versus a handful of unsafe methods, although there are many never-before functionalities in there), literally down the road (themes are only the beginning - just wait). Any whining that it doesn't live up to expectations should be directed at those with unrealistic expectations, not us for simply making a nice logo and teaser

zell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 02:44 PM

well said slboett.
im sorry bbxstudio i never exected you guys getting rich here, but still, i mean that guy was making it out to be that we are a bunch of unthankful brats because we dont drool over something hes selling to us. i do think that this program is for sure going to change the way we see our macs, and i cant wait.

PLEASE!!! when is your theme coming out bb? at least a hint!!!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I knew it would be what it IS. I'm not in the least disappointed. I had a slight hope it would open a few more enhancement options, but I'm quite happy with what it is. And I also play no buy it as soon as I can.
Typo?

Ypu guys will get my $20 bucks as soon as I have it.

I see the potential for SS 1.5, 2.0, etc etc.

It will rock

-Owl

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by zell:
cant take criticsm swiz? you sure sound like your full of yourself. this application is quite buggy, and im sorry but the theme you put out isnt all that impressive. its not that much different from what we were used to before. im not saying this aplication wont be good, but as of now the program and your theme really isnt all it was cracked up to be. if you cant stand people critiquing your suff maybe you should either stay out of the forums or develop worthwhile apps/themes.
You sure pop a lot of smack for a noob!

We get it... you aren't impressed. Dual(it)y noted.

Sign your name, move along.

This is a huge leap as far as theming...and my hat is off to them.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 03:28 PM

I've noticed that while using Classic (have to for Outlook/Exchange) that the windows are very sluggish and get messed up sometimes.

Just an FYI. I've turned it off until the next revision. I did notice that some other themes work pretty well, so those that don't like the two included themes may want to try others.

SB

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 03:31 PM

We get it... you aren't impressed. Dual(it)y noted.
OK, that was funny. Seriously, half of the guys complaining here have obviously never MADE a theme. You don't know what kind of hell it's been in the past. For me to be able to develop a theme without it touching my system files is a Godsend. Sorry, but some of you guys just don't get it.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 04:30 PM

Okay, so where's the "Revert to Aqua" button? Do I just "disable" Shape Shifter in its main tab the re-launch everything?

This is all well and good, and I hope it spurs theme development, but I'm also hoping that since this is out the door, our good folks at Unsanity can double-quick the pace on Demetallifizer.

A paying customer,

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 04:45 PM

I think the complaints about the hype would center on the words used, rather than the length of time that passed between the original announcement and the product release.

To say something like "everything changes," then release a theme changer that does (on the surface) what every other theme changer does, is inviting criticism.

kcjones76
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 05:02 PM

Anyone get Aluminum Alloy to work?

I tried some of the OBGs but for some reason Aluminum Alloy 1.0.2 doesn't show up in the list like the others. It resides in the Themes folder like the others. Max even noted on his site that it should work with SS.

Anyone have any ideas?
it's better to think you can, then to know you can't...

daniael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 06:20 PM

does not work for me... installed new ape, did aqua restore.
The 'apply selected' button can't be clicked on...

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 06:27 PM

Did you select a radio button next to the theme..?? Apply will then appear...

Originally posted by daniael:
does not work for me... installed new ape, did aqua restore.
The 'apply selected' button can't be clicked on...

daniael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 06:35 PM

auw.. thanks a lot. now i can play with this great app

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Did you select a radio button next to the theme..?? Apply will then appear...

Scroot
Nov 18, 2003, 06:40 PM

All of you guys are nuts.

quandarry
Nov 18, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Scroot:
All of you guys are nuts.
would you rather be sane in this world?

it's fun being nuts!

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by kcjones76:
Anyone get Aluminum Alloy to work?

I tried some of the OBGs but for some reason Aluminum Alloy 1.0.2 doesn't show up in the list like the others. It resides in the Themes folder like the others. Max even noted on his site that it should work with SS.

Anyone have any ideas?
Same problem here.

Astounding software, but I can't use my favorite theme!

Max, when will this be out, and will it be a guikit?

gramage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 10:48 PM

I'm happy with it.

Works very well.

No system slowdown.

Fast theme switching.

Now, all I need is Alluminum Alloy, or BBX-Omega....
: THE SEAWEED SMOKING JUNKIE :

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 04:19 AM

Aluminum Alloy doesn't work because the themescript file inside of the dlta package references a file that doesn't exist. ShapeShifter logs the exact message (I don't recall the specifics) to the console and tells you exactly what's broken. If you're comfortable editing Aluminum Alloy's main.themescript file, it's an easy fix - just delete the line referenced in the Console error message. If not, I'm sure Max has a fix on the way.

Please note that I'm aware that logging a message to the console isn't an optimal way of informing the user that the theme has an issue. Here's the motivation behind it: your various Library/Themes folders are scanned at startup every time you launch ShapeShifter. If you've got a bad theme in one of these folders and SS popped up an error message every time it launched to tell you about it, I'd have to be on a constant lookout for large arrows headed towards my head. So an explicit error message only appears if you manually add a theme that SS doesn't already know about by double-clicking it, dragging it into SS, or hitting the little + button.

I keep my themes in "Documents/My Great Themes" and just avoid Library/Themes altogether.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
Wow, shapeshifter and an ugly looking Halo theme by Max...
Oops, too fast, the Halo Theme isn't as ugly as I thought - I am actually using it right now and like it pretty much!
Good work again Max!!!

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 19, 2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
Oops, too fast, the Halo Theme isn't as ugly as I thought - I am actually using it right now and like it pretty much!
Good work again Max!!!
Haha.. thanks. I figure that EYLO is really "out there" and that's it a theme you either love or hate.

About Aluminum Alloy, yes it's not working because it's missing a file. The real 10.3 port will be our later this week, so you should wait for that instead. And yes, it will be a guiKit.

kcjones76
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2003, 01:41 AM

About Aluminum Alloy, yes it's not working because it's missing a file. The real 10.3 port will be our later this week, so you should wait for that instead. And yes, it will be a guiKit. [/B]
I assume b00zo is Max. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, thanks to Max for updating AA today. And yes, the necessary changes were welcomed so things like the Panther tabs didn't look funny as they on some other yet-to-be-updated-yet-currently-working pre-SS themes.

As an example I had a couple pre-SS themes from Swiz working but the tabs looked kinda funny. After downloading the updated one when I got home from work everything looks great. Damn WebSense filtering!

Have any themers figured out how to remedy the redraw problem with the separator bar when the sidebar of Finder windows is resized?
it's better to think you can, then to know you can't...

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 20, 2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by kcjones76:
I assume b00zo is Max. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, thanks to Max for updating AA today. And yes, the necessary changes were welcomed so things like the Panther tabs didn't look funny as they on some other yet-to-be-updated-yet-currently-working pre-SS themes.

As an example I had a couple pre-SS themes from Swiz working but the tabs looked kinda funny. After downloading the updated one when I got home from work everything looks great. Damn WebSense filtering!

Have any themers figured out how to remedy the redraw problem with the separator bar when the sidebar of Finder windows is resized?
Yeah, I'm Max.
The redraw problem is not theme related, it's Metallifizer related. Which is undertstandable because it's beta (alpha?).

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by jerseyfreeze:
I think the complaints about the hype would center on the words used, rather than the length of time that passed between the original announcement and the product release. To say something like "everything changes," then release a theme changer that does (on the surface) what every other theme changer does, is inviting criticism.
It's called, "great advertising".

and with ShapeShifter, I will only buy it if BBX Omega is awesome. Until then, I will stay with Shinobi.

Christian

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2003, 03:21 AM

This came as a GREAT surprise to me today in my email when I got a letter from Unsanity about their new "Shapeshifter" product. Having absolutely NO idea what it could be only knowing that I usually only get notices about Windowshades X and Silk, I clicked.

OH. MY. GOD!

It was beautiful! Memory based Theming! It's about time we had this! People can stop complaining about Themes hosing their system. NO MORE I TELLS YA!!

But, I didn't like the included themes. I was gonna wait for more people to come on board and see if I liked a theme.. then I found out how many people were actually IN on it!

I found my current and most favorite Theme so far at Max's site. Max, THANK YOU FOR ALUMINUM ALLOY! It will grace my Mac for a while. Even if it wasn't, I was gonna just install Smooth Aqua anyway.

Thank you for not making me resort to the painful Terminal swapping I was doing with 10.2. I didn't like the Themers and liked to do it myself. So I used the Terminal. Now I can do it so much easier. This is so cool!

Forum Links
Forum Rules