Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Ive says Apple Watch dates back three years, a 'difficult' project

Ive says Apple Watch dates back three years, a 'difficult' project
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 17, 2014, 03:28 PM

A new interview with CEO Tim Cook, lead designer Jonathan Ive, and Operations head Jeff Williams sheds some light on the development of the Apple Watch. Ive remarks that Apple first began working on the project about three years ago, and calls it "probably one of the most difficult projects I have ever worked on." The company delved into an extreme amount of research, going so far as to invite watch historians to speak at its Cupertino headquarters. "What was interesting is that it [watches] took centuries to find the wrist, and then it didn't go anywhere else," Ive says. "I would argue the wrist is the right place for the technology."

The company experimented with many different interface options, including pinch-to-zoom, before settling on things like the "digital crown" revealed at last week's press event. It is even said to have designed the Watch's packaging to double as a charging stand.

Williams led a team of hundreds of designers and engineers to produce the Watch's S1 processor, as well as its heartrate sensor and the special alloys used in its bands and casings. He comments that while Apple could have shipped the watch in time for the US holiday shopping season, the results would've lacked "fit and finish and quality and integration." Apple is "willing to wait" for "the best product in the world," he says. The product should ship sometime in early 2015.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 22, 2014 at 03:18 AM. )

ADeweyan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2014, 05:23 PM

And THAT is why Apple products are sometimes revolutionary, and are always greater than the sum of their parts.

Recent smart watch solutions from others are simple attempts to strap as much of a smartphone as possible onto the wrist -- and have turned out less than the sum of their parts.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Sep 18, 2014, 10:05 AM

I haven't played with one yet, and I'm not trolling... but seriously... the watch was in development for three years and still only has a battery life of a day? What exactly was the focus of their efforts then? Apple's obsession (cough, Ive) of aesthetics over functionality and practicality makes me wonder how much longer they can continue down this path.

Forum Links
Forum Rules