Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > More RAM into G5 1.8, uh how exactly?

More RAM into G5 1.8, uh how exactly?
Lyra
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2003, 01:57 AM

Hi

Need a little help here guys...

I just bought a G5 1.8 it comes with 512MB RAM, but I wish to add an additional 512MBs.

Now it my just be me, but I think I remember that adding RAM is a bit tricky. I heard something about when adding 512 you actually need to add them in pairs like two 256MBs blocks on each side of the RAM slots.

Anyway, way I wish to add another 512MB, just how do I do that? Any ideas?

Has anyone out there gotten their G5 and added extra RAM?

Better yet, has anyone out there received their G5 1.8? Can they confirm if there is two 256 MB block in the machine to make up the 512MBs?

Any feedback, news, ideas, experience or explanation would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks...

�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

CJM
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2003, 02:01 AM

it's not that complicated, yes you need to buy it in pairs so if you want an additional 512 MB's then buy 2 256MB sticks. Personally i'd just get 2 512MB sticks and add an extra gig since it's so cheap. Just make sure you get DDR400 (PC3200) RAM. Try www.crucial.com for good quality memory for decent prices.

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2003, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by CJM:
it's not that complicated, yes you need to buy it in pairs so if you want an additional 512 MB's then buy 2 256MB sticks. Personally i'd just get 2 512MB sticks and add an extra gig since it's so cheap. Just make sure you get DDR400 (PC3200) RAM. Try www.crucial.com for good quality memory for decent prices.
Thanks CJM, you are right, I might do that, but then I would have 1512MB, does that whack out the system as it is not a full 2 GB ram set?

Anyway, thanks for you help... I will go out and order a set on thursday...

saw the vision of the

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2003, 03:37 AM

not at all, it only means that half the ram has to be in one bank and the other half in the other bank. It doesnt matter how much you have.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2003, 08:28 AM

For a graphical look at what installing in pairs means: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86414

As for installation, it's very very easy. There should be a section on it in the manual included with your G5. If you don't want to find that, take at look at this page: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26276
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2003, 09:18 AM

Wow, 256MB for $50! Apple's memory prices are highway robbery.

Originally posted by CJM:

proton
Senior User
Sep 13, 2003, 10:39 AM

The documentation about installing memory in your G5 is on page 68 (in Chapter 5) of the "Power Mac G5 Setup Guide" included with the computer.

- proton

Lyra  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2003, 12:18 PM

Hi

Just wanted to say I greatly appreciate all your help and I cannot wait to get my G5...

As one noted, I could see in my book on page xx to see the install more ram chapter...

boy I wish I could do that, but I still have not received my G5... I ordered it some 3 weeks ago and they said another 2 weeks at least before I get it...

I hate, to wait this long, I simply cannot wait... I have been without a computer for far too long now. Need my mac...

Thanks again...
saw the vision of the

misc
Sep 13, 2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Lyra:

boy I wish I could do that, but I still have not received my G5... I ordered it some 3 weeks ago and they said another 2 weeks at least before I get it...

I hate, to wait this long, I simply cannot wait... I have been without a computer for far too long now. Need my mac...
Makes it all the more special when you finally get it.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by misc:
Makes it all the more special when you finally get it.

That's what I keep telling myself too.

"You paid twunny tousand dollars fer dat car?? Man, dat's a lotta kahpoosta!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules