Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook hardware defects

ibook hardware defects
kentuckyfried
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 01:36 PM

Just wondering....The ring of plastic surrounding the screwdriver lock that holds the battery in place, that ring has broken. There's the main frag,emt wedged in there, but it's going to fall off eventually.

The thing is, I've been treating the ibook like gold. It's always in a sleeve, and the sleeve+ibook are always in a laptop bag when I carry it. I've maybe let the laptop bag drop to ground absent-mindedly with a loud "thump!" twice at the most.

Has anybody else had that ring come off? I was just kind of surprised to see this yesterday considering how well I treat the hardware. How about other types of damage that occured with only minimal abuse?

Another person I know (mentioned this before) who treated his ibook so badly that the frame where "ibook" is printed, delaminated from the LCD, there's a big 0.5" gap where it look like somebody took a screwdriver to it.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

mbryda
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by kentuckyfried:
Another person I know (mentioned this before) who treated his ibook so badly that the frame where "ibook" is printed, delaminated from the LCD, there's a big 0.5" gap where it look like somebody took a screwdriver to it.
Having been inside a few notebooks, the frame is usually not lamiated to the LCD - it's held with clips/screws and some double-sided tape. Inside there's a metal frame. If that becomes bent, it can cause all sorts of appearance nightmares.

kentuckyfried  (op)
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 11:17 PM

^ double-sided tape?!

Somehow that's not comforting to hear.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2003, 01:56 AM

I have a small crack in the ring, too. My iBook is amost a year and a half old, and the crack has been there for a few months. I'm not worried, though, because it's really like a small hairline crack, and the ring doesn't look like it's about to fall out or anything. Oh well, no big deal in my case.

mbryda
Senior User
Mar 15, 2003, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by kentuckyfried:
^ double-sided tape?!

Somehow that's not comforting to hear.
Think double sided duct tape. It's pretty strong stuff!!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2003, 11:09 AM

ya. the bumper on some cars is held on with the same stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules