Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 12" Bluetooth problem

PB 12" Bluetooth problem
Arty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2003, 05:54 AM

Just got a fully loaded 12" Powerbook and LOVE it exc^pt for one issue.

On an older Lombard Powerbook with the D-Link Bluetooth adapter and a Sony Ericsson T68i, the Bluetooth range worked up to about 20 or 30 feet (up to 5 metres)

On the new 12" Powerbook, the range is about 2 feet. Take the phone any further away and the BT connection is lost.

If the phone is close enough, all works well (GPRS connection, SMS w. address book, iSync etc.) so I don't believe it is a software issue.

Is the Aluminum shell blocking the BT signal? Is there an antenna in the PB that might have been disconnected? What kind of range do other people get? Should I send it back to Apple to look at?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Hanul
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2003, 09:21 AM

I also use the 12" PB with my T68i and had no issues so far. Bluetooth range is exquisite, at least 5 meters, even through reinforced concrete walls.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2003, 09:37 AM

I suspect that you would lose some range from having internal bluetooth inside the 12" PB versus the external D-Link adapter, but 20-30 feet versus 2 feet is a BIG difference, maybe you have a bad bluetooth antenna or your computer isn't giving enough power, maybe have apple take a look at it?
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

Arty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2003, 04:54 PM

I figured it might be an antenna problem. But I had read that BT shares an antenna with Airport and my airport seems to work okay.

I am reluctant to take it in to the shop but having to put the BT phone right beside the laptop for GPRS access (instead of leaving it in a coat pocket or briefcase) kind of defeats the purpose.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2003, 06:36 PM

Yep, not ideal at all...now you're not tied down by wires, but an invisible chain. I don't know which is worst.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

pnz999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2003, 07:24 PM

just to carify,

the bluetooth on the 12" PB is built-in, inside of the unit or it requires a bluetooth module/adapter.

BTW, anyone tried the Sony Ericson Clicker?

Forum Links
Forum Rules