Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > getting off the upgrade wagon...for now!

getting off the upgrade wagon...for now!
mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 08:31 PM

Hey there. I have owned every revision of the Ti book, owing partially to upgrade-itis and also due to some fortuitious work-related events that let me do some of the upgrading at no cost to myself.

I have to say that after looking over the 17" PB, I am not upgrading...while it is totally kickass, and superior in many ways to my current rig (a 1 Ghz Ti) I can't justify the expense at all...not without a concrete mhz/HD/memory increase from where I'm at now.

Are there others that are in the same spot? I never thought I would be ejected from the upgrade wagon...I'm wondering if the next rev will entice me to climb back on. What are people hoping/wishing for?

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by mrmister:
What are people hoping/wishing for?
Two mouse buttons and built-in support for docking stations. Not that it stopped me from ordering the 17" (still waiting here in Australia)

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by mrmister:
Hey there. I have owned every revision of the Ti book, owing partially to upgrade-itis and also due to some fortuitious work-related events that let me do some of the upgrading at no cost to myself.

I have to say that after looking over the 17" PB, I am not upgrading...while it is totally kickass, and superior in many ways to my current rig (a 1 Ghz Ti) I can't justify the expense at all...not without a concrete mhz/HD/memory increase from where I'm at now.

Are there others that are in the same spot? I never thought I would be ejected from the upgrade wagon...I'm wondering if the next rev will entice me to climb back on. What are people hoping/wishing for?
I share de same feeling.. I wouldn't upgrade from a Tibook 1ghz to a 17". I would definitely wait for the next revision with a faster cpu and better graphic card...
I'm may be not objective as I love so much my current Tibook..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

urrl5201
Mar 17, 2003, 10:30 PM

You are making a sensible decision. I guess I don't feel to bad about selling my 667 DVI since 1 Ghz will be a major CPU upgrade to me as well as double the GPU MB and DVD-R.

If I were you I would wait for 128 MB GPU (which is already in PC laptops), at least 2x DVD-R and 80 Gig HD, and the next CPU upgrade.

Now you COULD sell your 1 Ghz Ti and I guess you considered that already...right?
I just mentioned to one co-worker I was interested in selling my 667 DVI and BAM...next thing I knew it was sold. I can't help but think you would have no problem selling your laptop.

Karim
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 10:58 PM

No one can stay off the wagon for ever, eventually your addiction will get the best of you and you'll just fall right back ON.

I'm too weak, I must upgrade.

mrmister  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 11:05 PM

Yeah, for now I am staying put.

I don't need or want multiple trackpad buttons, but I would ideally love:

1.2 Ghz G4 (that'll hold me until PPC970)
2x DVD burning and FASTER CD burning.
A good or BETTER battery life.
Able to handle upcoming 1 gig DDR RAM chips.
80 or 100 gig drive.

Those are my priorities...I don't need better graphic cards, but I wouldn't sneeze at it.

Getting some of those stats and keeping the battery sharp is quite a feat.

squish
Mar 17, 2003, 11:06 PM

I am not going to sell/trade my Ti/Ghz until I use it to make enough money to sell/trade the thing

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2003, 11:27 PM

I'm with ya, man. I even posted my PowerBook for sale on several sites, and got many offers which I guess were fair.

But especially given the relatively low resolution of the 17" (it's lower dpi than the 15", in fact), I couldn't bring myself to do it. Especially given that I prefer OS 9 because of its raw speed advantage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules