Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Adding Pioneer DVD-R in Quicksilver G4

Adding Pioneer DVD-R in Quicksilver G4
ChopperBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2003, 12:35 PM

I followed the directions of the latest MacWorld article, and installed a Pioneer DVR-A05 in my 733 G4 (OSX 10.2) When I insert a DVD, I am asked to format the disc, when choosing format for iDVD (iDVD_v3) I eventually receive an error message that says "You cannot burn this disc in the finder because the disc drive is not supported.

I spoke with Pioneer and they were of no help....

I've glanced around the XLR8yourmac site... but haven't found any obvious answers...

Pioneer recommened using Roxio Toast... I haven't seen anywhere else that this is the preferred method.

any help would be appreciated.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2003, 03:09 AM

in what "mode" is your pioneer drive? (master/slave/auto)

beside the ide connector are two rows of 5 pins.

two of them should be connected with a little piece of plastic (hmm, with metal inside).

this should stick on the second from the right.

does it?

KaosDG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2003, 04:30 PM

I have a Pioneer A05 in my 733...

never seemd to have problems with it.
Of course, I dont use iDVD, i just use DVD studio Pro. But the OS itself recognizes it as a SuperDrive.

ChopperBoy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by k_munic:
in what "mode" is your pioneer drive? (master/slave/auto)

beside the ide connector are two rows of 5 pins.

two of them should be connected with a little piece of plastic (hmm, with metal inside).

this should stick on the second from the right.

does it?
thanks, the drive was in master mode... the jumper was on the last pair of pins... I changed it.

Same problems.

You are able to insert a disc and format in the finder? No Toast or other software? Did you do any sort of Firmware upgrade?

Thanks for the photo of your mac taunting me...

spirko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2003, 03:08 PM

I put a Pioneer DVR A03 in my old G4 400 and have been burning CDs/DVDs with no problems. No modifications except pulling out the old drive and throwing in the new one. I use toast.

milhouse
Senior User
Aug 1, 2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by ChopperBoy:
I followed the directions of the latest MacWorld article, and installed a Pioneer DVR-A05 in my 733 G4 (OSX 10.2) When I insert a DVD, I am asked to format the disc, when choosing format for iDVD (iDVD_v3) I eventually receive an error message that says "You cannot burn this disc in the finder because the disc drive is not supported.

I spoke with Pioneer and they were of no help....

I've glanced around the XLR8yourmac site... but haven't found any obvious answers...

Pioneer recommened using Roxio Toast... I haven't seen anywhere else that this is the preferred method.

any help would be appreciated.
If you have only one drive on the secondary IDE bus (only one CD/DVD drive) the "master" setting should be fine.

Go to apple system profiler and look at the output for "devices and volumes" and then look at that optical drive.
Does it say "disc burning fully supported?

The A05 is the same unit Apple calls a superdrive. There is no reason it shouldn't work.

What OS version are you running? 10.2.6?
It should be OK even under 10.2 though...strange.
"-Dodge This"

Forum Links
Forum Rules