Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Want a VPN or something on OSX... to get around a NAT server

Want a VPN or something on OSX... to get around a NAT server
Amorya
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 02:11 PM

I am at uni, and the whole network is behind a NAT server. Obviously, we can't get ports open on it.

I want to use Apple Remote Desktop to administrate my family's computer back home - they often need help with settings and I think that'd be a good way to do it. (I've tried VNC with little success, btw)

But Remote Desktop needs ports to be open on the NAT server. Unlike Windows' Remote Desktop, Apple's software needs a port open on both the server _and_ the client's NAT. (Windows only needs a port open on the server NAT).

I thought a VPN would do it, but I can't find a good tool to use to create one on OSX. Can anyone give me an idiot-proof guide to how to do it?

I've also heard of HTTP Tunnelling - would that be able to help? (I don't know much about it, only that a uni mate uses it to access Kazaa)

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Morgoth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2003, 07:46 PM

the proxy-tunnel you would want to use is desproxy.
...I haven�t tried it by now, but you�ll find it on sourceforge.net, I think..

You could (should!) also try tunneling VNC via SSH.
There�s a great tutorial on this at the official VNC-Website...

If you have your private VPN-Server running you could use OS X�s built-in VPN-Client.
...there are appropriate tutorials in the Network-forum.
Greetings,
Morgoth

Forum Links
Forum Rules