Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > spotlight feature idea, probably won't be popular

spotlight feature idea, probably won't be popular
leperkuhn
Senior User
May 20, 2005, 12:54 PM

so I haven't gotten a ton of use out of spotlight yet - much less than I thought I would. The main reason is that as a web developer, i have dozens of files with the same name, and so hitting apple-space and typing index.php brings up.. 30 or so files (plus my backups.. bah).

So, a feature that would benefit me that I don't expect to be implemented would be if you could restrict the spotlight menu bar search to a certain folder and keep it locked there till you turned it off. Sort of like chroot in the terminal.

That way, if i restrict spotlight, to my "whatever.com" site folder, it'll only give me results that are relevent to the work that I am doing.

Do i expect this to be implemented? Not really. But it would be awesome.

mrbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 01:36 PM

easily done...just use finder and choose a paticular folder to restrict search to.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 01:46 PM

or type in whatever.com, and most likely index.html is going to be very close to the top. whate->in[command]+[enter]

leperkuhn  (op)
Senior User
May 20, 2005, 02:29 PM

that defeats the purpose - if i'm already in that folder then i can find the doc since it's in that folder already.

Forum Links
Forum Rules