Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > If not Apple - what adapter works for you?

If not Apple - what adapter works for you?
KaiserChief
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2005, 03:02 PM

There are a lot of negative comments concerning the Apple adapters here and on the Apple Store site as well. It's time for me to spring for a new adapter and I was hoping to get some feedback on what brand some of you might have had success with.

Thanks for your feedback!
Brad

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2005, 10:43 PM

what about your power adapter makes you feel like you should "spring for a new adapter" ?
Plus, I didn't think it was safe to use any other brand of adapters for apple ibooks.. and I didn't know any other brand existed..

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2005, 01:12 AM

Here's a recent review of three non Apple alternatives.

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2005, 03:16 AM

^ wow I stand corrected. That all ipod/phone/ibook charger looks nice

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2005, 07:26 PM

I bought an iBook a few months back that had an apple adaptor with it. The plug on the end was a bit messed up and would come apart. I called apple and got them to replace it for free. It was hard to do though. Call apple and try to get them to replace it, feed them a nice story about how your worried that it might cause a fire or something.

KaiserChief  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2005, 11:52 AM

The problem was that I bought the ibook used and it came with a generic adapter. Somehow the pin broke from the adapter and lodged inside the plug. I have some confidence in opening and replacing parts but getting to the power in board meant taking nearly the whole thing apart so I had to find a qualified tech.

I read the reviews and ended up buying the MacAlly plug based on price and the fact that it is my daughter's ibook and it won't be travelling a whole lot so bulk wasn't too much of an issue. I'm getting the book back today and should have the adapter today as well.

DylanG
Dec 21, 2005, 02:19 AM

The MacAlley power adapter causes a very noticable hiss out of the headphone jack in my wife's early 2005 iBook. The adapter seems to work OK with my PowerBook except it fits in the jack loosely and is prone to coming out. I wouldn't buy it again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules