Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > putting USB 2.0 card in G4 Sawtooth

putting USB 2.0 card in G4 Sawtooth
SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2005, 01:44 PM

For anyone who's interested in adding a card, I couldn't find anyone else who had recommended a card here, so here's my experience (I would post it up at xlr8yourmac.com but they have no section near as I can tell for add on PCI cards.)

My Brother and I have virutally the same machine. G4 Sawtooth. He got a Video iPod as an early Christmas present. He was still stuck on the onboard bus, and moving much to the iPod was slow and frustrating. So I went to NewEgg and found the cheapest card there that said it was compatible with OS X.
It was the "Koutech PCI to USB2.0 Card Model IO-PU520 - OEM" It was $9.70 plus shipping was something like $5.00.

It came, I plugged it into the third slot (first was AGP, second was occupied by a USB 1.0 card left from the previous owner. I was a little concerned because other cards sold at NewEgg seemed to suggest they needed 10.3, and my brother is still on 10.2

Anyway, I started up the machine and ran a speed test. I transferred a 170mb file to the iPod (just drag and drop). On the onboard USB (1.1 I believe) took 4 minutes, 4 seconds.
With the new card the transfer took approximately 16 seconds.

I'm happy with the card. If anyone needs a USB card, this one is as good as any.

Only thing i can figure is, why on earth they would put a port on the interior side of the card. What purpose is there plugging a USB cable in on the inside. I guess I have the same question about why apple stuck a FW port internally on the sawtooth MB.

Edit (once again, I managed to put my post in the wrong forum. Can someone move this to hardware?)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 06:56 AM

Yes, please move it to the PowerMac forum, it is worth.

Forum Links
Forum Rules