Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Resolutions

MBP Resolutions
theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2007, 12:37 PM

So now that the MBs have been upgraded to the new chipset I was very close to pulling the trigger, but then I realized that I need more graphical power than what is provided in the MB line. So I hoped over and started looking at the MBPs again, for the millionth time, but I am finally digging deep into the specs and comparing them all.

I have come down to the need of the upper end 15" or the 17" is what I will need, but my question is about the resolutions. The 17" has finally gotten the proper resolution (I think it has), but the 15" is still lagging behind with the lower resolution. So I am wondering for those who own the 15" does the resolution bother you at all? Also I have another (older) 15" laptop that runs at 1680x1050 so will the drop in resolution bother me, maybe?

I know this last question is all speculation and no one ever knows, but does Apple ever see the need or will upgrade the 15" with a higher resolution?

Thanks.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 01:16 PM

I think 1440x900 is pretty much the maximum I'd want on a 15" as long as the OS doesn't offer me full RI. Don't forget that the OS in principle is made for 72 ppi while the current 15" MBP is at 113 ppi. More resolution is of course always nice, but you need to be able to scale the GUI accordingly. Until we get that, I wouldn't want a >130 ppi screen for my MBP. Of course YMMV.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I think 1440x900 is pretty much the maximum I'd want on a 15" as long as the OS doesn't offer me full RI. Don't forget that the OS in principle is made for 72 ppi while the current 15" MBP is at 113 ppi. More resolution is of course always nice, but you need to be able to scale the GUI accordingly. Until we get that, I wouldn't want a >130 ppi screen for my MBP. Of course YMMV.
I agree with simon. Resolution isn't all that without the scalability.

I have a Dell for work with something like a 2500 x 1900 resolution on a 15.1" LCD. As a result I'm going blind. I need reading glasses just to use it.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 03:00 PM

I think you will miss the extra screen space; you don't realize how much use you make of your pixels until they're gone. I'm on a 14" 1400x1050 laptop right now, and if anything I want more pixels (while staying wiht a portable form factor... which for me is <17"). Apple has really been dragging their feet with laptop screens; Dell and Sony both released 15" 1920x1200 laptops in 2003, while Apple was flogging 15" 1280x854. They've made it one step up in the last 4 years to 1440x900, but it's still a joke. You can edit HD video on a 15" MBP all day, but heaven forbid you want to actually watch it. I'm surprised we don't hear more complaints about screen resolution from the graphic arts crowd (who supposedly disproportionately use Macs).

As for the "OMG fonts so small!" and "I need reading glasses just for my laptop!!11!" crowd (who always seem to crop up in these threads), either increase your font sizes (in web browsers and such) or use applications built-in zoom (in word processors and such). Or just don't buy the optional higher res screen in the first place.

Originally Posted by driven View Post
I have a Dell for work with something like a 2500 x 1900 resolution on a 15.1" LCD.
Nice hyperbole... the screen on your 15" Dell is at most half that, at 1920x1200.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I think you will miss the extra screen space; you don't realize how much use you make of your pixels until they're gone. I'm on a 14" 1400x1050 laptop right now, and if anything I want more pixels (while staying wiht a portable form factor... which for me is <17"). Apple has really been dragging their feet with laptop screens; Dell and Sony both released 15" 1920x1200 laptops in 2003, while Apple was flogging 15" 1280x854. They've made it one step up in the last 4 years to 1440x900, but it's still a joke. You can edit HD video on a 15" MBP all day, but heaven forbid you want to actually watch it. I'm surprised we don't hear more complaints about screen resolution from the graphic arts crowd (who supposedly disproportionately use Macs).

As for the "OMG fonts so small!" and "I need reading glasses just for my laptop!!11!" crowd (who always seem to crop up in these threads), either increase your font sizes (in web browsers and such) or use applications built-in zoom (in word processors and such). Or just don't buy the optional higher res screen in the first place.

Nice hyperbole... the screen on your 15" Dell is at most half that, at 1920x1200.
Actually you are right (about the resolution ... not about the hyperbole ... which implies intent.) The very nice wallpaper I'm running is 2500x1600 (so that's where the number came from in my head.) So ... thanks for being an a$$ about it.

Why would "we pop up" in a thread asking about resolutions? We "pop up" for the same reason that you "pop up" ... to offer your opinion. If I actually *had a choice* then I wouldn't have purchased such a high-resolution, but when my company buys for me, my input was minimal. I'd much prefer the lower resolution of my 15" powerbook. Having used both resolutions I feel qualified to offer my opinion, while respecting that others may have a different opinion. (Something to think about.)

If you like a lot of screen space, and you can read really small print then go for the higher resolution. If you get headaches due to eye strain then you might want to save some money and get a lower resolution. Simple.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

theDreamer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2007, 03:38 PM

A side question to this, can you run higher resolutions in bootcamp (windows), or is it the LCD screen which they use limits you to the specific resolution?

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

PaperNotes
Nov 3, 2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
A side question to this, can you run higher resolutions in bootcamp (windows), or is it the LCD screen which they use limits you to the specific resolution?
Flay panel displays are made up of a fixed number of pixels that the OS has to fill up with its GUI.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Flay panel displays are made up of a fixed number of pixels that the OS has to fill up with its GUI.
You can always choose a lower resolution, but it will appear a big "blocky" or "blurry". Choosing a higher resolution (*if* you can find a driver that permits it) will require either scrolling (panning) or scaling down with an imprecise picture.

Your best bet is to always operate at the native resolution.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 05:28 PM

Why would "we pop up" in a thread asking about resolutions? We "pop up" for the same reason that you "pop up" ... to offer your opinion. If I actually *had a choice* then I wouldn't have purchased such a high-resolution, but when my company buys for me, my input was minimal. I'd much prefer the lower resolution of my 15" powerbook. Having used both resolutions I feel qualified to offer my opinion, while respecting that others may have a different opinion. (Something to think about.)
Did the OP ask about any that? No. That's why I made the "crop up" comment; some people feel so self righteous that they just must chime in about how they can't read small print or change font sizes/zoom.
The OP said he currently uses a higher res screen, and he's wondering if the lower res bothers people and if Apple will ever catch up with their 15". He wasn't soliciting negative opinions about high-res screens.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 05:32 PM

self righteous
Pot, Kettle, Black.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 07:42 PM

Pot, Kettle, Black.
Unlike other replies, I actually answered the OP's questions. Your first reply was only tangentially related to the topic and answered nothing asked.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 09:20 PM

Unlike other replies, I actually answered the OP's questions. Your first reply was only tangentially related to the topic and answered nothing asked.
yep ... you are great.
Can we move on now?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Rumor
Nov 3, 2007, 09:52 PM

I run mine at 1440 x 900 and it is fine to me.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2007, 10:42 PM

You know a lot, and generally answer questions in a very helpful way. So relax a little bit, maybe the OP isn't the only one reading this thread. It's possible that posts can help someone other than the OP. There is no reason to be rude to everyone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules