Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > strange sound from Ibook 14 inch when booting?!?! 2

strange sound from Ibook 14 inch when booting?!?! 2
NewSwitchPerson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2005, 01:34 AM

Hey I just recently made ths witch to Apple (and I'm loving every minute of it). But I find that when I turn on the computer, there is this strange buzzing sound that happens first. It honestly sounds like a short circuit.. but everything works perfect. I have already exchanged my Ibook twice and they all seem to have this sound. Is this normal, or am I just the unluckiest guy in the world getting the only 3 broken Ibooks? I am using the new Ibook G4 1.42 14 inch with superdrive if anyone is interested (all standard features)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2005, 05:54 AM

Are you sure it's not the cd-rom drive making noises?

yogi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2005, 10:57 PM

ya, if there is a cd in the drive, the ibook will spin that when it is booting, sometimes this makes a buzzing kind of noise, nothing alarming though.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2005, 11:01 PM

The optical drive makes noises in my Powerbook on booting (and wake from sleep) even if there isn't a disc in the drive. Perfectly normal.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2005, 03:19 AM

drive noise is normal (mine goes grrrr grrrr grrrrrrrrrrnk whenever it wakes) but a buzzing? not sure if that's entirely normal...

sminch

deermatt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2005, 04:05 AM

my new 14in ibook makes noise when i turn it on also, i think its just the fan or superdrive
photography is beautiful

NewSwitchPerson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2005, 01:37 AM

I have read all your posts and it IS coming from my superdrive (checked). And ya it makes the noise when it falls asleep and turns back on too. So I guess it's normal then. Thanks a lot for your help. On the one hand I was worried that I got defective machines, on the other hand, I should have known that Apple sells QUALITY products (hence, my switch from PC's)

But I wonder why the Apple tech's said it was weird, they didn't mention anything about the superdrive making noise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules