Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dealing with idiocy

Dealing with idiocy (Page 2)
davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 05:37 PM

Tooki - I've been in a drive-through (or as McDonald's et al call it "drive-thru") when the kid on the headset says, "Is that to stay or to go?"

Um... I'm at the fricken' drive-through... which do you think? LOL
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2006, 06:15 PM

Around here what they ask is, "Are you going to eat that in your car?" I think that's what they mean.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Targon
Example the periodic table of elements entry 13 is Aluminium, for reasons unbeknown to the rest of the world you insist on pronouncing and spelling it as Aluminum. Maybe you guys have some kind of pronunciation retardation which you disguise as trying to be clever or sophisticated ...i don't know.
BZZZZZT.

BAD EXAMPLE.

"Aluminum" was the original - and derivatively correct - name.

The British adopted it INcorrectly as "Aluminium", because it had a "more classical sound".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum#Spelling

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 06:22 PM

I don't understand, why would someone go through the drivethrough and then eat the food in the restaurant?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 06:25 PM

How many times have you called this pizza place to place an order? i bet every other time you said "pick up" so you know their system, why try to be different this time?

You American's have a habit of changing things to be different and to suit yourselves for what ever reason.

Example the periodic table of elements entry 13 is Aluminium, for reasons unbeknown to the rest of the world you insist on pronouncing and spelling it as Aluminum. Maybe you guys have some kind of pronunciation retardation which you disguise as trying to be clever or sophisticated ...i don't know.

Every country (not usa) i've ever been to and lived in use the 'pick up or delivery' system. Never heard 'carry out' used.
I'd be willing to bet that you're a self-loathing American disguising himself as a European.

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jun 16, 2006, 06:50 PM

How many times have you called this pizza place to place an order? i bet every other time you said "pick up" so you know their system, why try to be different this time?

You American's have a habit of changing things to be different and to suit yourselves for what ever reason.

Every country (not usa) i've ever been to and lived in use the 'pick up or delivery' system. Never heard 'carry out' used.
I NEVER say "pick up" when I want carry out (that's "take away" to you). Nobody does except for this one pizza shop.

As for all your American-bashing: whatever. American English a) has FAR more native speakers than British English, and b) has more historical (=original) forms than British English: American English is (ever so slightly) closer to Middle English than British English is!

tooki

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jun 16, 2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Tooki - I've been in a drive-through (or as McDonald's et al call it "drive-thru") when the kid on the headset says, "Is that to stay or to go?"

Um... I'm at the fricken' drive-through... which do you think? LOL
Oh sheesh...

tooki

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jun 16, 2006, 06:54 PM

erm a grammatical error is more accurate.
No, actually that would be considered a punctuation or spelling error, but definitely not a grammar error.

Im starting to see a pattern now as to the subtle variances of everyday life which truly effect some Americans in such profound ways, which can lead to violent crazed slaying of innocent bystanders in shopping malls with semi-automatic guns.
Yeah, like that happens here with any frequency. It doesn't. Relative to the population size, the U.S.'s incidence of random violence like school shootings and the mall shootings you made up are no more common than they are in the UK and France.

tooki

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jun 16, 2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
I must say, I encounter this type of idiocy (no matter how small or insignificant it may seem) every single day in multiple ways. And if I pay attention to it all, I would go postal in no time. Thats the truth. I have to actually force myself to ignore it all, and to "work with" the idiocy. Meaning, if I were in your situation (and I have been), I would just have to take the advice that people in this thread have already offered and just conform to the pizza people's moronic ways. I would just say "I'd like to place an order for pick up" or whatever it is those Pavlov's Dogs understand.

I know it seems like common sense to you (and me) to just realize that "carry out" is exactly the same thing as "pick up" in that context. But as my grandma would tell me when I would freak out about stuff like that, "Common sense isn't all that common."

But I've realized that I must ignore this kind of idiocy. I know its there. I know our society is just saturated with it. But if I pay attention to it all, I'll go insane. Literally.

Also, smoking some pot helps.
I'm glad someone agrees that the pizza joint is being just a little bit nutty.

But yeah, I suppose you and your grandma are right. I think I'll write a note on the menu that their code word is "pick up", because the next time I'm so hungry I can't think straight, I won't be able to remember off the top of my head!

tooki

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
BZZZZZT.

BAD EXAMPLE.

"Aluminum" was the original - and derivatively correct - name.

The British adopted it INcorrectly as "Aluminium", because it had a "more classical sound".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum#Spelling

*SMACKDOWN*

finboy
Jun 16, 2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by FeLiZeCaT
I think you are way too insensitive.

Working at a job where you have to repeat the same task is not only overwhelming, but it is also mind numbing.

Say "pick up" and take a number. Breathe in, breathe out, count to 5, and repeat, telling yourself you are not crazy, but the world around you is.

I mean it.
They're probably filling out a form, and they're required to ask the question associated with each box in the database form.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
I think I'll write a note on the menu that their code word is "pick up", because the next time I'm so hungry I can't think straight, I won't be able to remember off the top of my head!
i
Compromise is a beautiful thing.

Dumb Fast food annoyance: I pulled into a J in the B late one nite, ordered a burger, fries and a hot apple turnover.

"Sorry, we're out of hot apple turnovers."

"Okay, how about cherry?"

"Sorry, we're out of cherry, too."

"Okay, forget the dessert, then."

"No problem."

... No problem? Yes, problem! You didn't have any desserts! (I hate that phrase, and instruct my employees not to use it. I don't want anything we do for a customer to EVER seem like a "problem.")

But I sure didn't give the clueless guy at the window a hard time about it -- it was probably the day-shift manager's fault that they were out of turnovers, and he was helpless to fix it, so I just rolled my eyes and let it slide.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

corman842
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2006, 12:05 AM

In my college cafeteria, I always ordered hot peppers on my sandwiches. When I ordered them as "hot peppers" I was always corrected and told they were "hots." I suppose it's just a regional Baltimore dialect I'm not used to, but I say just say as they say. It'll make your and their lives a lot more pleasant and it's not like it's hurting anybody. You'll find life to be a lot less agravating when you learn to pick your battles like that, methinks...

Railroader
Banned
Jun 17, 2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by finboy
They're probably filling out a form, and they're required to ask the question associated with each box in the database form.
Exactly. I delivered pizzas in high school 17 years ago) and had to answer the phone when I wasn't delivering. With the kitchen noise and commotion sometimes it was hard to understand people unless they used keywords or certain answers to my questions. I'd ask "pick up or delivery" and if they responded "I don't want this delivered" (who knows why they said that, but your average customer is below average) all I would hear was "delivery". Then when I'd ask them their address they'd sound all pissed off and reply with something akin to "I SAID I DON'T WANT THIS DELIVERED" And I would purposefully reply with "Oh, so you want to pick up this pizza then" just to goad them a little.
I NEVER say "pick up" when I want carry out (that's "take away" to you). Nobody does except for this one pizza shop.
Actually, "carry out" usually refers to a customer who comes into the store and orders, and then carries it out with him. Same with "take out".

When you call the order in, you are going to come and "pick it up" and then "carry it out".
Originally Posted by OB1
Hang on.

Did you say you lived across the street from this place? Bloody hell! You need to be nice to these people! First name terms, bottle of wine for them at Christmas, all that stuff... Great pizza AND across the street?! You don't know your luck!

If you're nice, you'll be in pizza heaven, extra pickles in with your pizza and everything. I'll bet they'll even start bringing it over to you when you phone your order in. Or maybe you'll start going over to order in person, because then you can have a chat and catch up with everyone there while they're making it.
Awesome! I'm glad someone picked up on this.

I once had a customer who gave me a $10 tip on a slow night to deliver him some $2 bread sticks because he wanted them quickly. The next time he ordered he gave me another $10 tip to deliver a $5 pizza. I memorized his address and whenever he ordered a normal order I made sure to be there when his pizza came out of the oven and his pizza was deliver first above and beyond all others no matter how long they waited. And if their was some bread sticks that were surplus and going to be thrown away I'd always include them free. Every time I could count on at least a $10 tip. His pizza would always have more toppings and be cooked better than everyone else's as I sometimes shared his tip with the cooks and prep guys.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 17, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
It's probably those damn Mexicans pretending to be Italians, can't understand a word of English
Huh?!? This is uncalled for.

Aren't you a college graduate? I guess your college didn't expunge you of your ignorance. Most racial statements are made out of ignorance.

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jun 18, 2006, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by finboy
It's a mom-and-pop shop, orders are taken down on blank note pads and then rung up on a plain-vanilla cash register.

Originally Posted by corman842
In my college cafeteria, I always ordered hot peppers on my sandwiches. When I ordered them as "hot peppers" I was always corrected and told they were "hots." I suppose it's just a regional Baltimore dialect I'm not used to, but I say just say as they say. It'll make your and their lives a lot more pleasant and it's not like it's hurting anybody. You'll find life to be a lot less agravating when you learn to pick your battles like that, methinks...
Hot peppers are slices of chiles. "Hots" is the pepper relish.

Originally Posted by Railroader
Actually, "carry out" usually refers to a customer who comes into the store and orders, and then carries it out with him. Same with "take out".

When you call the order in, you are going to come and "pick it up" and then "carry it out".
That's ridiculous. Every Chinese carry out joint here lets you call your order in, and it's still carry out or take out. It makes no difference in wording whether you place the order by phone or in person. The same also has applied to every other carry out place I have ever patronized, save for the one that is the subject of this thread.

tooki

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 11:32 AM

I'm near Philly, where you must speak English to order a cheesesteak.


Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by corman842
You'll find life to be a lot less agravating when you learn to pick your battles like that, methinks...
While we're on the subject of annoying words, people shouldn't use archaisms like this!

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2006, 12:45 PM

Forsooth! At least with this much attention devoted to it, you're pretty likely to remember the special codeword when calling this place in the future, eh Tooki?

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 12:48 PM

I get free pizza - but... its pizza hut - don't like it. But if I'm too hungry, too tired and skint, it'll do I get good discount at the local greasy spoon as well, although they can be real sarky in there.

Your pizza place probably uses words that aren't ambigious, there's bound to be someone who interprets carry out etc as something else. Their choice of wording is probably through experience.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 01:27 PM

That's ridiculous. Every Chinese carry out joint here lets you call your order in, and it's still carry out or take out. It makes no difference in wording whether you place the order by phone or in person. The same also has applied to every other carry out place I have ever patronized, save for the one that is the subject of this thread.

tooki
It's amazing that you've posted a thread about how to "deal with idiots," and after 2 pages of advice and conversation, you've come away from it with absolutely nothing. You don't want to improve yourself, you just want to blame others and complain. If you want to rant, then rant. But don't solicit advice, then backhandedly brush it all aside if it doesn't fit with your preconceptions regarding the situation.

"A man hears what he wants to hear, then disregards the rest."
--Paul Simon.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2006, 02:47 PM

Meh FWIW I completely agree with you Tooki. I don't see how you can not understand what you are saying. Carry out, pick up, take away it's all the same to me. I would NEVER translate "carry out" as "deliver". Also the whole concept of a script for answering people on the phone is nothing short of retarded. If anything you should be able to answer or ask questions that are adapted to what the client says. The client shouldn't adapt at all. You can have a basic script but just use it as a sort of guideline.
I can't say I've had a problem with someone sticking to their "script" over here, guess it's not all that common here or maybe most people do have the common sense to forget the script and answer in a natural manner.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jun 18, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
It's amazing that you've posted a thread about how to "deal with idiots," and after 2 pages of advice and conversation, you've come away from it with absolutely nothing. You don't want to improve yourself, you just want to blame others and complain. If you want to rant, then rant. But don't solicit advice, then backhandedly brush it all aside if it doesn't fit with your preconceptions regarding the situation.

"A man hears what he wants to hear, then disregards the rest."
--Paul Simon.
I said it's ridiculous that "carry out" should mean solely an in-person order, which is patent nonsense.

And yes, this thread is a rant. If it took you this long to notice...

And why the f••k should I have to "improve myself" to order a f••king pizza? I don't think that observing them to be absurdly rigid somehow indicates that I need improvement. And if you'd read everything I wrote, you'd see that all the same I made an accommodation to the situation.

And also, note that the thread title is NOT "how to deal with idiots" but "how to deal with idiocy". There's a difference.

What I certainly didn't expect, but suppose I should have, is for this thread to become a tooki-bash-fest. I didn't do anything wrong (I just wanted a pizza!), and the amount of personal attack I've been subjected to in this thread is astonishing.

tooki

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2006, 03:03 PM

I think we can all agree here on two things:

1) It's stupid that they can't understand when tooki says he wants an order carry-out.

2) It's annoying, but really not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Everybody agree?
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Jun 18, 2006, 03:10 PM

I said it's ridiculous that "carry out" should mean solely an in-person order, which is patent nonsense.

And why the f••k should I have to "improve myself" to order a f••king pizza? I don't think that observing them to be absurdly rigid somehow indicates that I need improvement. And if you'd read everything I wrote, you'd see that all the same I made an accommodation to the situation.

And also, note that the thread title is NOT "how to deal with idiots" but "how to deal with idiocy". There's a difference.

What I certainly didn't expect, but suppose I should have, is for this thread to become a tooki-bash-fest. I didn't do anything wrong (I just wanted a pizza!), and the amount of personal attack I've been subjected to in this thread is astonishing.

tooki
Ca$h?

Seriously, you think people have attacked you?!?!

And what's with the obvious rules violation with the profanity? Are you above the rules? Don't they apply to you?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2006, 03:24 PM

Erm, tooki didn't disable the swearing filter for his post or anything. What do you mean?
Chuck
___

hayesk
Jun 18, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I DESPISE it when I'm at a restaurant and someone in my group (could even be my husband or kids - and then I correct them with glee) says, "Can I GET some ketchup?" Or whatever condiment that they need or want. It should be, "Can I HAVE some ketchup?" Can I GET something means, "Can I get up and get it myself?"
Well you could correct them with glee, but you should probably correct them with correct information. You should ask "Could you bring some ketchup to me?"

"Can I have some ketchup?" is basically asking if you are literally able to receive ketchup. Some people would say "MAY I have some ketchup?" which is asking for permission to receive ketchup, but it really isn't asking the person to bring it to them. Wait staff could reply "Yes you may" and then walk away without doing anything.

Of course we could get really nitpicky and call it catsup, unless it is made by Heinz.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 06:10 PM

tooki
Sorry to have riled you so badly. Really. you have a right to your opinion, and mine simply differs from it. You expressed yours, I expressed mine, but perhaps in a condescending way. Go on about your business in whatever way makes you happy, bro. I was merely suggesting, or trying to, before I got all snarky in your face, that you shouldn't get so worked up about stuff. It's just ... people. Humanity is what it is. You can either let that send you into blind rages, or you can kind of cope with it. You're not going to change 6 billion people by losing your temper with them on the phone one by one. It's a losing battle.

Seriously, peace.

Edit: BTW, if you re-read your first post, you'll see where you ask the forums "Am I being too sensitive?" which sounded like a direct question to us forum members from where I'm sitting. Don't ask if you don't think you want an honest answer, because, yes, I thought you were being too sensitive, and being rather rude to the person on the other end of the phone. That is my straight up, non-snarky, not-meant-to-be-Tooki-bashing honest answer.
( Last edited by chris v; Jun 18, 2006 at 06:29 PM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk

Of course we could get really nitpicky and call it catsup, unless it is made by Heinz.
Yes, but is it "Fancy?" That's important.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2006, 06:17 PM

Try going to the place and ordering it from there you lazy slob!

You know what, I don't even remember the last time I felt the need to rant about a food service related incident. I'm usually too paranoid going through the social interaction bit and making sure I'm heard clearly to notice if I **** up my order, which I then beat myself over the head for it because it's all my fault for being the idiot. I am in a constant rant myself. whoa. but in the end I'm always sure to be extra nice to the other guy, even if they are ready to club me with a tire iron.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 06:18 PM

Actually, what's nuts is that he's so panty-waded about how *he* thinks things should be that he's all pissy like a little girl. Who freakin died and gave you the balls to make the rules?

Their shop. Their store, Do what they say. Period. The whole "customer being right" is pure crap.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 06:22 PM

This thread is now about Ketchup. Do keep up, Railhead.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Their shop. Their store, Do what they say. Period. The whole "customer being right" is pure crap.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2006, 06:32 PM

I'm more of a mustard man myself.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2006, 06:35 PM

YAY KETCHUP!

DID YOU KNOW? That Ketchup is great for restoring the glow to copper pots and pans?
The acid in the ketchup recipe helps to remove the tarnish and bring out the shine.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad
I'm more of a mustard man myself.

Let us not forget the good chefs of Mayon, who under the employ of the Duke de Richelieu gave us:

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 06:46 PM

... No problem? (I hate that phrase, and instruct my employees not to use it. I don't want anything we do for a customer to EVER seem like a "problem.")
Man, people say that to me all the time. I can't help it. I'm on the phone with some big-wig client who we're cranking some last minute, life or death promotional piece for. Files get transfered, FedEx shows up with the box, whatever... Phone call of praise comes in and I always end it with "No problem."

Why does it throw people off so much? I can't ****in' say "You're welcome." To me, that sounds cocky and insincere. Makes me feel dirty.

And you know, a lot of times clients/customers are a huge problem. Thats why you FIRE them and get better ones. Or is that employees?

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by pooka
Man, people say that to me all the time. I can't help it. I'm on the phone with some big-wig client who we're cranking some last minute, life or death promotional piece for. Files get transfered, FedEx shows up with the box, whatever... Phone call of praise comes in and I always end it with "No problem."

Why does it throw people off so much? I can't ****in' say "You're welcome." To me, that sounds cocky and insincere. Makes me feel dirty.

And you know, a lot of times clients/customers are a huge problem. Thats why you FIRE them and get better ones. Or is that employees?
Well, it really only bugs me in the context of where there really is a problem, then after finding a solution, or not, (as in the case of my dessert) someone says "no problem." It doesn't bug me in the more casual context like you've mentioned, but there are times when people utter it without realizing it's inappropriate to the situation.

Here's a context in which I wouldn't want it used in customer service at my shop:
"Are my T-shirts ready to pick up?"
"No, they won't be in until next tuesday."
"What? My party is this weekend! What will I do?"
"I don't know."
"Fine, cancel my order."
"No problem."

But really, it doesn't bug me enough to go off on anybody. It's not the sort of thing I obsess over (I was just trying to find, futilely apparently, some common ground with the Took-miester). It's just a little peeve that I know is all mine, and I deal with it emotionally, somehow.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
DID YOU KNOW? That Ketchup is great for restoring the glow to copper pots and pans?
The acid in the ketchup recipe helps to remove the tarnish and bring out the shine.
It's also good for cleaning dogs who've "scented" themselves by rolling in fox sh!t. Tinned Tomatoes work too.
tin pot, garden shed

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006, 06:03 AM

tooki
You haven't been personally attacked.

I'll have another go at this -

Tookie, you've personally helped me out here, on more than one occasion, when you didn't need to. So you're obviously an intelligent and naturally helpful guy. You could apply those same strengths to ease your Pizza ordering frustrations.

It seems to me, and to most posters here, that your reaction to 'The Pizza place over the street' is simple mean-spiritedness. Sorry, that same character trait, often, spills over here on Macnn. Allow your fellow Human Beings to be stupid sometimes, then you can rightfully expect the same in return. Then maybe you wont feel so hard-done-to...

You asked - "Am I being too sensitive?" - Yes!

Our lives, our society, is full of pointless unwritten rules and social norms that we're expected to adhere to. Many of these rules don't really serve us well. If anything, they dog us down and hold us back. If you're able see through all that stuff, you're one of the lucky ones.

"It's so easy to laugh,
It's so easy to hate,
It takes strength to be gentle and kind"

(A Ketchup-related prize goes to the Macnner who can place this quote)
tin pot, garden shed

Burn
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2006, 09:10 PM

You American's have a habit of changing things to be different and to suit yourselves for what ever reason.....
Lauging my butt off.. I know.. my teachers through school said Aluminium... but hey, easy now... I know there are a lot of weird terms & phrases used all over the place.. some restaurants ask "is that for inside or to go?" What? Whatever... sometimes it is some 16 year old kid who doesn't even have a decent grasp on English themselves.

Bill.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Burn
sometimes it is some 16 year old kid who doesn't even have a decent grasp on English themselves.
Let he who is without sin...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2006, 04:52 PM

Not related to your pizza story, but related to idiots. Chicago idiots to be specific.

I'm in O'Hare airport and I stop in the mens room. I do my business and then on the way out I wash my hands. After I wash my hands I put my phone's headphone's back on so I can listen to some podcast I was listening to on the plane as I'm walking to the next gate. While I'm tapping WM player on the screen some jacka$$ walks up behind me and says "you must be one of those idiots that talk on the phone in the bathroom while the toilet's flushing!" I just give him a blank stare. It wasn't worth responding to.

Then, like 30 seconds later while I'm walking out of the same bathroom (narrow doorway) I see some other guy trying to come in. Since I have many bags I back up and give him some room to get by me. He makes no effort to avoid me, bangs into me (knocks my headphones out of my head) and keeps walking. No "thank you for attempting to get out of my way", no "excuse me for nearly knocking you over", no "**** you you look like an idiot anyway", no nothing.

Fortunately I was only in Chicago for about 1 hour. That was about 59 minutes longer than I would have liked.

So ... your Pizza story wasn't too bad. Just tell the guy "take out" and eat up.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 04:59 PM

You want idiocy?

Try these stories
Grab some popcorn and sit back, there are plenty. If you like them, be sure and check out part 2.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2006, 06:07 PM

I'd be willing to bet that you're a self-loathing American disguising himself as a European.
While we're on the subject of annoying words, people shouldn't use archaisms like this!
I'd be willing to bet that you're one of those self-loathing high-school dropouts disguising themselves as edumacated.

Seriously, even without the "Mexican" comment, you've managed to come across as a complete idiot.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 20, 2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
I'd be willing to bet that you're one of those self-loathing high-school dropouts disguising themselves as edumacated.

Seriously, even without the "Mexican" comment, you've managed to come across as a complete idiot.
Dammit. Now there's a second time I've agreed with analogika. I sense a trend!

Forum Links
Forum Rules