Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > resurrect non-starting TiBook?

resurrect non-starting TiBook?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2008, 07:18 AM

Hi All,

I inherited a TiBook a few months ago (a friend was upgrading, and gave it to me to give to my daughter). When I got it, I started it up successfully and ensured that it was running correctly. It then went on a shelf for several months, and when I finally got back to it, it wouldn't start at all. The battery indicated dead (of course), but even when plugged in, it won't start (battery in, or battery out). Leaving the it plugged in overnight (to try to charge the battery) didn't help.

I wouldn't be surprised if the battery were truly dead, but I would've thought it would start when plugged in to the mains.

Any ideas on how I can resurrect this machine?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chas

hmccorkle
Oct 14, 2008, 08:47 AM

You've got quite a thinker there. I would try replacing each part, one at a time, until something kicks in.

Try these eBay auctions:

"Powerbook G4 Titanium 1 GHz for Parts" - $49.95
http://tinyurl.com/3ssg9h

"Apple G4 PowerBook Titanium Top Case Trackpad + Parts" - $0.99
http://tinyurl.com/52392g

"Lot of Apple PowerBook Titanium Top&Bottom Cases &Parts" - $1.00
http://tinyurl.com/4glshf

or look anywhere in this eBay Store:
"LaptopPartsRepair"
http://tinyurl.com/3srbma

Good luck.
elitesouth.com
fine web design for business and individuals

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2008, 08:56 AM

Wow, that's quite a researched answer, thanks!

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I'm wondering if it's the internal battery (which is supposedly rechargable).

Thanks again, I may see what I can do about getting some parts (been ages since I took one of these apart, I remember what a pain it was getting the bottom part of the case back on!).

Cheers!

Chas

hmccorkle
Oct 14, 2008, 09:06 AM

Hey no problem at all. If you get it working, make it a (larger) netbook, or, an iPhone sync machine. That's what I'd do.

Good luck!
elitesouth.com
fine web design for business and individuals

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 09:32 AM

Have a look at the PRAM battery on the motherboard. Non starting may be a result of the PMU carking it due to intense discharging. With a totally flat PRAM battery the machine may struggle to boot at all, power or no power.

After that I'd suspect the PMU itself, which is a weakness on Ti Book. You can replace the power card but it's a bit of a job I seem to remember.

Also try removing the battery and leaving the machine plugged into the mains for 24/48 hrs to try to revive the knackered PRAM battery. Ti PRAM battery is code number 922-4361

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2008, 09:46 AM

No joy so far on the attempt to recharge the internal battery. I've just dropped it off at a friend's, plugged in to the power adaptor of his 12" Powerbook (because it at least has an indicator light to show it's plugged in). The TiBook is now sitting, battery out, with a cheery orange glow coming out of its backside ;-)

Next step would be to acquire a new internal battery (so I hope that this step works).

Cheers!

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules