Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 186)
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2010, 07:31 PM

Welcome to modern gaming, guys. QC took a heavy hit this generation, and incomplete games get DLC to finish levels that weren't added initially.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Welcome to modern gaming, guys. QC took a heavy hit this generation, and incomplete games get DLC to finish levels that weren't added initially.
As imitchell pointed out its scope is greater than just the gaming industry.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Thursday News: Last of 2010
Japanese hardware sales, 2010:
PSP -- 2,729,718
DS -- 2,719,544
Wii -- 1,592,563
PS3 -- 1,542,258
Xbox 360 -- 231,258
PS2 -- 83,030
Jesus! Microsoft should just throw in the towel in Japan! A year 10 old system had a third of the amount of sales as the 360! That's pretty sad.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2011, 04:14 AM

Hillary Goldstein, editor-in-chief of IGN (and long-time XBox authority on the site), is switching to the PS3 as his primary gaming system. You can read the linked article, but here are the highlights:

Trophies > Achievements, which seems pretty inconsequential.

...what I love about Trophies, something Achievements don’t provide, is the leveling system. That fits me as a gamer perfectly. I’m the dude who painstaking searches every room in a game to find all the items and max out my character’s upgrades. And Trophies feel like that. You get Trophies, you earn points, you level up. That level is far more satisfying than the score tally from Achievements. And the fact that there are four types of Trophies (Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum) is very smart and feels more rewarding than 360′s random set of point values.
"The quality bar is tipping."

Siding with the PS3 in its early days was just foolish. So many third-party games ran terribly on PS3. With a few exceptions (Bayonetta!!!), PS3 and X360 are almost always equals. And more and more developers I speak with have begun to favor PS3. The old barriers of “too tough to develop for” have crumbled. You really want to play the game on the version a developer prefers, because that’s the one where it will shine.
I'm curious as to why developers are beginning to favor the PS3, but if anyone has insight into the feelings of game devs, it would probably be the editor-in-chief of IGN.

And the biggest reason: exclusives...

Yes, I know, there will be some unannounced Xbox exclusives on the horizon, but Microsoft has made several decisions over the past few years that suggest there’s far less interest in being the sole home for any third-party game. And with Microsoft axing so many of its studios (and letting others like Bungie go) the first-party offerings are slimming down. Since Kinect is going to continue to divide Microsoft’s attention (far more, it seems, than Sony’s Move), there will be fewer and fewer games I want to play that can only be played on Xbox 360.

What’s this really mean for me as a gamer? As long as the quality of the game is equal on both systems, I’ll be playing it on PS3 rather than Xbox 360. And I’m doing a lot of catch-up with some past PS3 games. It’s like diving into a treasure trove of unknown wonders. Lots of games to play and lots of new people to meet (peeps are much friendlier on PSN so far).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 3, 2011, 04:18 AM

It's a shame I haven't cared what IGN has thought since, oh, 2003.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2011, 05:32 AM

Yeah, they have as much street cred as GamePro.

It costs $60 for an Xbox Live Gold account. The benefits are, pretty much, being allowed to play games online. PS3 gives that for free. While PS3′s online past is horrendous, it’s gotten much better these days and most games on the free service are on par with XBL-enabled titles.
Yep, just ask all those who bought Black Ops for the PS3.

Black Ops PS3 multiplayer patched again | Joystiq

The real winner for gamers is PlayStation Plus. For $50 a year, you get a bunch of promotional deals. It’s like buying a gamer’s version of a Costco membership. You get all kinds of discounts (great if you buy a lot of downloadable games) and free games.
$50 a year and you still don't get a simple thing like party chat. (For the record, I've never paid more than $35 to renew my XBL subscription.)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2011, 11:15 AM

Matt, Bozon and Craig(The Nintendo team from the early/mid part of the decade to 2009) have all left IGN. I really enjoyed their commentary during the GCN and early Wii years. And i related to them as gamers.

It was strange seeing their interest in the Wii fade (with the grossly disproportionate emphasis on casual over core), as mine was fading as well. After they left, my visits to IGN dropped almost completely..... Greg Miller on the PS3 channel puts out an entertaining podcast (Podcast Beyond) tho.

Cheers

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2011, 11:25 AM

I'll just reiterate that 50 dollars a year is entirely inconsequential, even for a cheapskate like me.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
That's all Activision on that phuckup. I have played many 128 player MAG matches with not one network issue EVER. Even the 256 player match was smooth. Chaotic as hell, but smooth. Activision needs to learn how to write a decent network protocol on the PS3.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2011, 01:25 PM

It's a shame I haven't cared what IGN has thought since, oh, 2003.
You might not care for them, but they're the #2 gaming site on the Internet (Yahoo Games is bigger????), so there are plenty of people that take stock in what they say.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Yeah, they have as much street cred as GamePro.
"Street cred" is often the same thing as "unsuccessful."

That was an I.W. problem, not PS3.

$50 a year and you still don't get a simple thing like party chat. (For the record, I've never paid more than $35 to renew my XBL subscription.)
As I mentioned earlier, no party chat is a problem. But it's still free to play online, no matter how you cut it.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Greg Miller on the PS3 channel puts out an entertaining podcast (Podcast Beyond) tho.
I listen to Game Scoop and Podcast Beyond religiously. Love 'em.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'll just reiterate that 50 dollars a year is entirely inconsequential, even for a cheapskate like me.
Yesterday I had to re-subscribe, and I still felt a slight twinge of irritation, even thought I knew all along I would pony up. I don't deny that XBL is worth the price of admission, but when the other system plays for free, I feel like I'm paying all that money for party chat.

That's all Activision on that phuckup. I have played many 128 player MAG matches with not one network issue EVER. Even the 256 player match was smooth. Chaotic as hell, but smooth. Activision needs to learn how to write a decent network protocol on the PS3.
Bingo.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2011, 05:45 PM

That's all Activision on that phuckup.
It doesn't matter who's fault it is, I was just pointing out that the author is wrong. Cross platform games on PSN are clearly not on par with their XBL counterparts. Black Ops wasn't the only game. I believe GTA IV, Borderlands and Red Dead Redemption had problems with multiplayer as well.

You mean Treyarch. MW2 didn't have these issues.

Yesterday I had to re-subscribe, and I still felt a slight twinge of irritation, even thought I knew all along I would pony up. I don't deny that XBL is worth the price of admission, but when the other system plays for free, I feel like I'm paying all that money for party chat.
All that money? Don't tell me you paid full price ($60).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 3, 2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
You might not care for them, but they're the #2 gaming site on the Internet (Yahoo Games is bigger????), so there are plenty of people that take stock in what they say.
…and Fox News gets the most ratings. That means nothing as far as quality is concerned.

Treyarch, actually, but that does go back to "The quality bar is tipping"

Says the guy who laments a lack of ESPN3 on PS3. And also payed for PSN+, I believe.

Look at it is this way, how would you feel if PSN cost the same as 360? That's why it's worth it.

Bingo.
It wouldn't hurt if they learned to do it well on the 360 as well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 3, 2011, 05:53 PM

Seriously though, the article amounts to "The PS3 is the future" (some of which is pure speculation). I won't disagree with outright, but feel it's worth noting people have been saying that since it came out. That's four years of it not being able to snatch the title away from the 360. When it finally does earn it, will it really matter?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 3, 2011, 06:05 PM

Speaking of the PS3, how ironic is it that Sony pulled the alternative OS feature in the name of "security", and in turn drove hackers into its coded guts trying to figure out how to reimplement that feature, and in the process they cracked a high-level key?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2011, 06:09 PM

Seriously though, the article amounts to "The PS3 is the future" (some of which is pure speculation). I won't disagree with outright, but feel it's worth noting people have been saying that since it came out. That's four years of it not being able to snatch the title away from the 360. When it finally does earn it, will it really matter?
It matters only in a business sense for Sony. I'll think you'll see PS3s being sold during future console cycles in the same way that people apparently still buy new PS2s today.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 3, 2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
It matters only in a business sense for Sony. I'll think you'll see PS3s being sold during future console cycles in the same way that people apparently still buy new PS2s today.
That's irrelevant; The article is coming from the perspective of a gamer.

(Business-wise, all that amounts to is Sony not having completely ****ed up this gen)

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2011, 09:05 PM

Considering they have the title for the most screwed up launch in history, it is pretty impressive they even caught up within that time. I'm not as optimistic as most on here, I expected it to take much longer. Usually when you screw up that bad your product is torched.

They had a year late head start.
Price was against them for at least 2-3 years.
Xbox Live had 3 years of development ahead of them.
They bought out a ton of launch exclusives at the time.

Those were some heavy odds and a big gamble, with heavy competition. As it stands now they are both pretty close, as of Sept 10th they are approx. 44.6M 360s and 41.6M PS3s. Currently, I have no idea and I doubt that data will be available till next month.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 3, 2011, 10:03 PM

All that ignores that the PS2 was the best selling console of all time and that Sony had become synonymous with gaming.

Really, it's the other way around. It took a tremendous amount if effort to screw up a no-brainer launch in the face of a gaming wanna-be and has-been.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2011, 10:17 PM

Really, it's the other way around. It took a tremendous amount if effort to screw up a no-brainer launch in the face of a gaming wanna-be and has-been.
Partially, but it's also a factor of Microsoft learning a LOT from the first try with the XBox and nailing it going into the second generation with the XBox 360. It's not as one sided for one or the other as it seems.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 3, 2011, 10:24 PM

It's not as one sided for one or the other as it seems.
MS may have cracked the door open with the 360, but the PS3s pricing blew that door open. And that's all on Sony's shoulders (it's not like the 360 was cheap by any stretch of the imagination).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 4, 2011, 11:00 AM

Tuesday News

OnLive coming 'built in' to new VIZIO TVs, Blu-ray players | Joystiq
Good strategy.

Ubisoft's crap DRM no longer requires constant connection- Destructoid
Huzzah.

Rumor: 3DS Stolen From Chinese Factory

CES 2011 Brings Us The First Of The Kinect Clones For PC
Didn't this happen with the Wiimote, too?
Say what you will about gaming applications, but seems like the kinect is getting more impressive tech hacks than the Wiimote did.

Scientists use Wiimote to measure water evaporation rates | Joystiq
This will teach me to underestimate the wiimote.

In 2011 One Video Game Will Add More Heroic Drunken Shooting To Our Culture
This is a first-person shooter in which players assume the role of a space pirate who must escape a planet populated by mutant cannibals. Players use futuristic machine guns, shotguns, magnum revolvers, assault rifles, and chain guns to perform over-the-top kills that dismember and decapitate foes. Injured enemies emit large sprays of blood that stain the ground and surrounding walls. Specialty kills (i.e., Skillshots) represent the most intense instances of violence: enemies can be dismembered with explosives; impaled on spikes; and drilled into walls, resulting in body parts breaking into pieces. During the course of the game, players can consume alcohol and kill enemies in order to receive an Intoxicated Skillshot; the screen turns blurry during these sequences. The dialogue contains numerous jokes and comments that reference sexual acts, venereal diseases, and having sex with one's mother (e.g., "Guess I know where the ol' gal got that limp."). The names of some Skillshots are infused with sexual innuendo (e.g., Gag Reflex, Rear Entry, Drilldo, Mile High Club); one Skillshot (i.e., Fire in the Hole) allows players to shoot at enemies' exposed buttocks. Language such as "f**k," "sh*t," "p*ssy," and "c*ck" can be heard in dialogue.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2011, 02:18 PM

Without clicking on that link, I thought they were talking about Duke Nukem Forever.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 4, 2011, 02:20 PM

I do agree it seems to be in that general vein of debauchery.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 4, 2011, 04:16 PM

For some reason, this article made me think of you, sek.

Some People Would Rather Not Call Video Games 'Video Games'
The piece continues with her son playing Kinectimals and her playing Dance Central. (Coincidentally, Kotaku's two favorite Kinect games.)

She has fun with those video games.

What's the key line in Orlean's piece? I submit that it's this: "I realize now that the Kinect isn't a video game."

Reminds me of 57-year-old Elizabeth Bewley's newfound despair when she went shopping for new Wii games: "We were really disappointed because all the ones I saw are really like video games."

Technically the Kinect isn't a video game. It's a sensor, a controller. But that's not the distinction Orlean appears to be drawing. She's happy to play this thing that isn't really a video game. That's ok. We know her secret. She's a gamer now. Welcome back.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2011, 05:17 PM

If the Kinect is an 'activity environment' then so is Rock Band.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 5, 2011, 11:05 AM

Wednesday News

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 brings Masters Tournament to consoles March 29 | Joystiq
Money notwithstanding, any interest, sek?

No More Heroes shines bright on the PS3- Destructoid
One of those rare Wii to PS360 ports that I really have no expectations on how they will do but can't see how it won't seem like a failure.

PS3: It only does custom Firmware (against Sony's wishes)- Destructoid
A tech ninja known as KaKaRoTo has released tools allowing you to create custom Firmware via Linux. Right now you can't do a lot with it, but in the future you should be able to run Homebrew applications without trouble. KaKaRoTo stresses that piracy isn't the aim.

"This firmware will not allow you to run the currently available homebrew application," he writes. "Once the homebrew developers re-package their files in a ‘retail’ .pkg format with signed executable, then it will work ... Since the kernel is left unmodified, this means that this custom firmware is really meant for future homebrew installation, and it will not allow piracy. I plan on keeping it that way."

Weird Super Street Fighter IV DLC costume mystery solved!- Destructoid
"The DLC for the newest costumes is additional data that must be put on your machines from the first-party networks (XBL and PSN)," he says. "When you add new data to an existing product, there are significant costs to do so charged by the first parties."

"On XBL, those costs were covered by Microsoft. For Sony, those significant costs are not covered."
You can either see this as a benefit of Live or the disadvantage of a soon-to-be extinct publisher.

Modern Warfare Creators Taking Damage From Legal Fees
New documents obtained by Kotaku today allege that Activision knew of EA's alleged involvement in the case over six months beforehand, and that by waiting until December 2010 to amend the case sought to have the beginning of the trial - scheduled for May - pushed back.

West and Zampella are protesting this expansion of the case and any possible delay, stating that the pair "are paying for this litigation from our own funds" and that to date the cost of the case has "[exceeded] our combined annual salaries".
When this started back in May I was wondering how these guys were going to hang with the bottomless pockets of Activision.

Also, another reminder of how ****ed the legal system is (survival of the richest).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2011, 11:13 AM

Wednesday News

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 brings Masters Tournament to consoles March 29 | Joystiq
Money notwithstanding, any interest, sek?
I used to buy Tiger Woods every year. I wasn't planning on coming back for a while, but this did the trick. I can't believe they finally gave in.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 5, 2011, 11:14 AM

Dont forget to pick up a Move while you're at it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2011, 11:22 AM

Har-dee-har...

On a serious note, my Move purchase depends on SOCOM and Killzone 3, not Tiger.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 5, 2011, 11:28 AM

If I was that into golf, I'd consider it. No different that racing enthusiasts picking up a wheel, except the Move has more potential uses.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2011, 11:35 AM

If I was that into golf, I'd consider it. No different that racing enthusiasts picking up a wheel, except the Move has more potential uses.
I actually found the frisbee golf from Sports Champions to be pretty fun. I just want devs to get shooters right with it before I pick one up.

We all know I'll probably bow in to the pressure at some point, but I'd like to be a little more patient with this.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 5, 2011, 11:37 AM

Shooters is the last thing I'd be waiting on.

You still have your Wii?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2011, 11:49 AM

Shooters is the last thing I'd be waiting on.
After playing MW2 with a mouse/keyboard again a few weeks ago, I began to remember why I played shooters so religiously on my PC years ago when the MoH games were first coming around. I wish the Move could get close to that level of precision control.

You still have your Wii?
I didn't touch it for 2-3 months, so I sold it and bought 8 games with the money.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jan 5, 2011 at 01:01 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 5, 2011, 11:53 AM

Ha ha!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2011, 12:57 PM

Laugh not. I got Resistance 1 and 2, Dead Rising 2, Dead Space, Sly Cooper Collection, and pre-ordered Mass Effect 2 (PS3) and the Team ICO Collection. Actually, I also bought Black Ops for PS3 with it, but I chose to leave that out because of how ridiculous it is.

That's right...two PS2 HD re-release collections. In your face.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2011, 12:59 PM

Wow...

Kotaku: 1991-2010

Brett Favre may have actually retired this week. For good. To give you an idea of just how long this guy has been playing football, check out what he was doing on draft day back in 1991.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 5, 2011, 03:19 PM

Kaos: Dedicated servers essential for online games- Destructoid
Homefront developer Kaos Studios has stated a belief that I think many PC gamers won't argue -- that large-scale online games need dedicated servers, and that they're unplayable without them. Take note, Infinity Ward!

Homefront will feature dedicated servers across PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, with PC players also able to set up local servers.

"For 32 players, you have to have dedicated servers, or else it would be unplayable," says community manager Jeremy Greiner. "When you play Xbox Live where it's 12 to maybe 16 players max, where it's just one of the players hosting it, it can still get pretty darn laggy. So it's a necessity in order to deliver the multiplayer experience we want. We're committed to setting up server farms all around the world so that everyone has good ping, low latency and gets rid of that awful host advantage.

"So, dedicated servers are hugely important and in order to deliver the multiplayer experience we're looking for with vehicle, air strikes, drones, infantry, air-to-air and air-to-ground combat, all on really large maps, it's the only way to do it."

Homefront (video game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The multiplayer component of Homefront is focused on large-scale vehicle based combat reminiscent of Kaos' first title, Frontlines: Fuel of War. The defining innovation of Homefront MP is its battle points system, which is an in-game currency that allows player to purchase weapons, gear and vehicles. Players earn points by taking objectives and getting kills and are forced to choose between many small purchases versus larger big ticket items like helicopters and tanks.[15]
Alright, this is officially on my radar. I was talking about wanting a vehicle based game (a la Halo) a while back. Better give me a demo first, though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2011, 11:06 AM

Thursday News: Shit your pants Edition

CES: Kinect sells over 8 million, 360 breaks 50 million- Destructoid
It wouldn't be a press conference without some sales boasting, and Microsoft's Steve Ballmer was on hand to tell us that the Xbox 360 has sold over 50 million units worldwide. Not only that, but the monstrous executive also boasted that it has been the top selling US console for the past six months.

Xbox Live had its own milestone to beam about, with 30 million memberships now confirmed. According to The 'Soft, a new member joins Xbox Live every two seconds.

Naturally, however, Microsoft was most proud of Kinect's success. In addition to saying "You are the controller" every five seconds, Ballmer announced that the motion-sensing peripheral has sold over 8 million units in its first sixty days.
So, uh, that's a lot of us eating crow, Oprah or not.

Second, that's a sizable adoption rate, as far as a percentage of the console base. We're flirting with nearly 1 in 5 here.

CES: PlayStation Network reaches 60 million users- Destructoid
Sony CEO Howard Stringer declared onstage that PSN membership has topped 60 million, which is some considerable growth compared to the 38 million of last year. It capped 50 million back in June, which is the total that Microsoft celebrated last night.

The news made me raise an eyebrow at first, but I suppose the PSP has helped with the PSN subscriptions immensely, not to mention all those folk in Japan in went for a PS3 instead of a 360. Makes sense, really.

Oh ... and the "being free" thing is a nice selling point!
The idiot seems to be confusing XBOX hardware numbers with Live, but the point remains – lots of PSP owners out there that may have also signed up.

BTW, that's it for the Sony news. They held a CES keynote and announced nothing. It's not like they have a next gen PSP and PSP Phone to announce or anything.

CES: Hulu Plus, Netflix getting Kinect support in spring- Destructoid

Finally, I love this time of year.
GameFly reveals the 'most requested' games of 2010 | Joystiq

Multiplatform
Red Dead Redemption (PS3, Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, DS)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS3, Xbox 360)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, DS)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3, Xbox 360)
Mafia II (PS3, Xbox 360)
Medal of Honor (PS3, Xbox 360)
God of War III (PS3)
Fallout: New Vegas (PS3, Xbox 360)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction (Xbox 360)

This is the first time I can recall the Wii getting shut-out (multi-platform not withstanding).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2011, 03:11 PM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2011, 04:15 PM

Haha. Some should photoshop Darth Vader's helmet in that second pic.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2011, 04:21 PM

My 360 doesn't even run hot anymore since the Jasper revision, who the hell buys these silly devices?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2011, 04:23 PM

I hear you get a great deal on them when you buy the extended Best Buy warranty.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2011, 04:29 PM

It just needs some fins to lower wind resistance. And a racing stripe here I feel would be pretty sharp.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2011, 05:27 PM

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2011, 05:33 PM

Funny how most FPS story-lines end as abruptly as that info-graph did.
I like hyphens.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2011, 09:18 AM

Dont forget to pick up a Move while you're at it.
Speaking of which....

My dad picked up a PS3(with a bundled Move started pack), since he got the PS3 for a media center he gave me the Move, and i set it up a couple of days ago.

Impressions:
Biggest difference from the Wiimote..... it's black.

Pros:
-It feels better in hand, much more ergonomic.
-It seems more accurate than the wiimote, although i have not tried the WiiMotion+ thing (or the new Wiimotes).
-its got a good weight to it

Cons:
-The glowing ball at the top is fugly
-It seems like it has the same minute initial lag as the Wiimote.... almost not noticeable, but youd think with Sony's harking about the accuracy, that it wouldnt feel like that.
-I tried the Frisbee Golf demo, and it seems like you need to stay in the camera's view
-Lack of software. Why isnt there a "PS3 Sports" bundled with the started pack ?
-Too expensive(i would not have paid for it myself)

Thus far my favorite motion controlled game is Wii bowling.

Overall, not counting the lack of software, the PS3 is now essentially the WiiHD IMHO.

I would really like to get a game like Dead Space with Move compatibility (i'm guessing it would be like RE4Wii,which i've heard is great).

FYI, it's been a almost a year since i turned my Wii on. I turn my PS3 on daily to to watch my DVDs/BRs (and rarely for games).

Cheers

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
the [Move] is now essentially the WiiHD
That's what all the reviews said.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2011, 11:02 AM

PlayStation Phone images and vids leaked (yeah, again!); 'PlayStation Pocket' app makes an appearance | Joystiq
I think part of my growing schadenfreude regarding Sony is how completely irrational their PR is.

Exhibit B:
Sony Thinks It Can Stop PS3 Hacks
Yet Sony believes it can prevent homebrewers (and, let's face it, pirates) from taking advantage.

"We are aware of this, and are currently looking into it," a Sony representative tells Edge. "We will fix the issues through network updates, but because this is a security issue, we are not able to provide you with any more details."

That's strange, because everything that's been discussed to this point suggests that because the console's "root key" has been cracked, there is no quick fix. The key is at the very core of the PS3, well past any area that a simple firmware update should be able to address, and conjecture suggests only future hardware revisions (or some very fancy programming) would be able to address the issue.
It feels like they think if they lie to everyone no one will realize what has happened.

HD Re-Releases Should Be A Celebration, Not A Quick Buck
It's a mess, and these collections (God of War's was similarly disappointing) deserve better. These are not budget compilations of bottom-shelf games. They are high definition re-releases, surely aimed at old-time fans of the series (not to mention collectors) who want to relive classic adventures with some more contemporary visuals.

In the movie world, there's a company that makes a living re-releasing old films. It's called The Criterion Collection, and while the business is renowned for its love of cinema and authentic presentation (not to mention restoration work), it's also famous for its packaging. The Criterion Collection knows that it is not selling to Average Joe buying discounted DVDs in the sales bin of Walmart. It is selling to collectors, and fans, so gives them something befitting their passion and love for the property.
I think JB will agree with this editorial.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2011, 01:23 PM

HD Re-Releases Should Be A Celebration, Not A Quick Buck

I think JB will agree with this editorial.
Yep...

I bought the Sly Collection (I never played the PS2 games), but the box is god-awful ugly. I have yet to pop it into the PS3 though, so I'll have to reserve my judgment. I guarantee the Team Ico Collection box art is going to be similarly atrocious.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2011, 01:34 PM

PlayStation Move Compatible and 3D. Really throwing everything but the kitchen sink into that shit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules