Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 187)
KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2011, 11:00 PM

2K having another perfect game pitching contest for upcoming MLB 2K11

That's crazy they're having another million dollar contest. It'd be nice if this may start a trend with other games.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That's what all the reviews said.
Another "Con" of the Move controller is:
-the controller is sort of cylindrical along it's cross section, so it's a little difficult (More than the Wiimote anyway) to find some of the buttons.
-The select/start button placements are terrible, and almost flush with the controller.

I think Sony is spreading itself a little thin with motion controls and 3D, and not doing either of them justice. I think given the success and ubiquitousness of motion controls, they need to perfect that and integrate it more consistently and uniformly on the PS3. I personally think Sony's implementation of 3D in it's TVs and PS3 is all wrong, and it's wasted energy and resources.

What do you guys think of this whole "3D" thing ? i personally don't like it in it's current form...too expensive, invasive, inconvenient and cluttered. I like the idea of 3D, but i dont like any of the current implementations, which could change in March(3DS).

Cheers

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Another "Con" of the Move controller is:
-the controller is sort of cylindrical along it's cross section, so it's a little difficult (More than the Wiimote anyway) to find some of the buttons.
-The select/start button placements are terrible, and almost flush with the controller.

I think Sony is spreading itself a little thin with motion controls and 3D, and not doing either of them justice. I think given the success and ubiquitousness of motion controls, they need to perfect that and integrate it more consistently and uniformly on the PS3. I personally think Sony's implementation of 3D in it's TVs and PS3 is all wrong, and it's wasted energy and resources.

What do you guys think of this whole "3D" thing ? i personally don't like it in it's current form...too expensive, invasive, inconvenient and cluttered. I like the idea of 3D, but i dont like any of the current implementations, which could change in March(3DS).

Cheers
I think they're throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2011, 11:30 AM

Even more PlayStation Phone shots appear, comparison shots galore! | Joystiq
I feel like they're just taunting Sony now.

Nintendo 'exploring option' of reprinting Super Mario All-Stars | Joystiq
Maybe they should explore the option of updating it to include games from the last 18 of those 25 years.

Kinect PC compatibility will come at 'the right time,' Ballmer says | Joystiq
I imagine all they're waiting for is a PC developer how actually wants to make a kinect game, or until they can add some form of security to the device that will still get hacked within a month.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 11, 2011, 10:29 AM

Tuesday News

Video Shows PlayStation Phone Playing PS1 Emulator
It's official, the leakers are just ****ing with Sony now.

Sony lists twenty exclusive PS3 games for 2011- Destructoid
Here's the full list of games due out this year, with their release dates where appropriate:

Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel (March)
Hyperdimension Neptunia (February)
The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection (Spring)
inFAMOUS 2 (2011)
Journey (2011)
Killzone 3 (February 22)
The Last Guardian (Holiday)
LittleBigPlanet 2 (January 18)
MLB 11 The Show (March 8)
MotorStorm Apocalypse (Spring)
No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise (Fall)
Pixeljunk Shooter 2 (2011)
PlayStation Move Heroes (2011)
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One (Fall)
Resistance 3 (September 6)
SOCOM 4 (2011)
Sorcery (2011)
Twisted Metal (2011)
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (November 1)
Yakuza 4 (March 15)

Video demonstration makes sense of N-Control Avenger | Joystiq
It's that weird ass controller from a few pages ago.

Is The Nintendo DSi Dead?
According to a Japanese retail source, the Nintendo DSi seems to be out of production. The available DSi consoles are apparently only those currently in inventory, and there are supposedly areas where it is sold out.

However, the DSiXL (or DSiLL as it's called in Japan) still seems to be in production.

With the Nintendo 3DS coming out shortly, Nintendo might want to avoid consumer confusion between the similarly-sized 3DS and the DSi.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2011, 02:16 PM

Only 2 games on that list I'm remotely interested in. Little Big Planet 2 & Twisted Metal. Killzone 3 can suck it.

Video demonstration makes sense of N-Control Avenger | Joystiq
It's that weird ass controller from a few pages ago.
Here's my favorite comment at the bottom of that article:
Same category as a turbo controller or modded controller as far as I'm concerned. It'll never be allowed in MLG or any serious gaming competition, and it gives you an unfair advantage over your competition.

LOL, people really do take this MLG shit seriously.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2011, 12:29 AM

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection, The Last Guardian and Uncharted 3.

I havent even beaten the first Uncharted of the GoW1 and 2 games yet.

Too... many.... games.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2011, 09:50 AM

I just started playing again after a long hiatus, and went back to the first Uncharted. Damn good game. Playing through the second one now.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2011, 10:38 AM

Also, for you PS3 players out there with an iPhone, SCEE just released an iPhone app that is pretty kickass. Problem is, since it's SCEE, it's not available in the US. I had to create a UK iTunes account to download it. But once I did everything worked fine. Here it is: PlayStation Official App for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2011, 12:14 PM

Report: Sony could remotely disable jailbroken PS3s | Joystiq
Even if you've never signed up for a PSN account, your console will communicate with Sony servers every time it boots up. That initial load process is used to upload error logs, download updates to the "What's New" module, and a list of recently-run applications, including any unauthorized backup manager software.

Sony has yet to ban any consoles for taking advantage of the jailbreak, but the terms and conditions of the PlayStation Network make it clear that Sony has the authority to carry them out. Thanks to the system's constant self-reporting feature, "the company even has the means to irrevocably disable your console should it so wish," rendering affected PS3 consoles unusable, online and off.
Somebody is playing with fire here.

Sony goes to court to get PS3 key crackers to shut up already
The court documents lay out the case simply. "The FAIL0VERFLOW Defendants intentionally circumvented SCEA's [security], accessed the PS3 System and trafficked in Circumvention Devices and SCEA's proprietary information, with full knowledge that their unlawful conduct would irreparably harm SCEA," Sony alleges. "Indeed, five days prior to appearing at the Chaos Conference, Bushing echoed a fellow hacker's comment anticipating this irreparable harm: 'Last chance to sell any Sony stock you may have.'"

Sony isn't looking for money, simply injunctive relief. This temporary restraining order's only job is to get the information off the Web, right now (good luck with that). "The lack of injunctive relief will... result in the loss of goodwill to licensees, encourage infringers to increase operations, and discourage anti-piracy enforcement which is great and irreparable harm," Sony states.
If you guys followed the brief news of the modder the US took to court, this sounds very similar (I don't know if they were selling software to do the hack, but if they weren't the case seems even weaker).

Also, even more EULA bullshit:
The consumer electronics giant is using a clause in the user agreement to justify suing a Hungarian and a Spaniard in the great state of California. That clause says that if you download even a single update from the PlayStation Network, you have given your consent to be sued in California.
I hope the EFF gets dragged into this. I'm tired of seeing these onerous EULAs that aren't being challenged because the companies have deep legal pockets.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2011, 12:20 PM

Check out the new Bulletstorm video...

YouTube - Bulletstorm - Last Call

Funny how they poke fun at the Halo 3 "Believe" commercial.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2011, 01:01 PM

Not saying this is right by Sony, but you should check out more info on Geohotz. The guy is far from a saint himself. I've followed the guy since I've been jailbreaking iPods/iPhones and this is how he rolls. If he had of shut his mouth there might not be an issue. But he went boasting and STILL has the hack available on his site right now after being served, and yes he does accept 'donations' for the hack... like he always does, even for jailbreaks. Also he posted the source for this available, as well which again is still available on his site right now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Not saying this is right by Sony, but you should check out more info on Geohotz. The guy is far from a saint himself. I've followed the guy since I've been jailbreaking iPods/iPhones and this is how he rolls. If he had of shut his mouth there might not be an issue. But he went boasting and STILL has the hack available on his site right now after being served, and yes he does accept 'donations' for the hack... like he always does, even for jailbreaks. Also he posted the source for this available, as well which again is still available on his site right now.
But it doesn't matter. There's nothing illegal about jailbreaking iPods and iPhones. Just because a tool can be used to do illegal things does not mean it is illegal in and of itself.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2011, 01:54 PM

I agree, not arguing that, at all. The only gray area I see is him taking cash for it via 'donations' and releasing the source code. Had he kept his mouth shut and not bragged about it he might be fine. Keeping it posted on your site while being served isn't smart, IMO

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2011, 03:30 PM

Eh, it's far better than that modder who was actually selling his services. As far as "gray" goes, lots of freeware developers do this too, so I don't see how this case is worse.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2011, 11:06 AM

Sony Telling People The PSP2 Is As Powerful As A PS3

Riccitiello: Digital downloads won't kill physical media just yet | Joystiq
Sometimes it's just easier to plug in a disc or buy a box than receive a huge download over a relatively slow connection, he says, and what the industry will end up doing is choosing certain cases out of all of the options for various uses. "I think it'd pretty silly for us to stream Scrabble to you," he says. "Why would you want to pay for bandwidth for us to redraw a Scrabble board sixty times a second? That's just sort of bad math, if nothing else."
Way to conflate two things, buddy.

Bulletstorm shows off (relatively) tamer skillshots | Joystiq
I'll be honest, the Energy Leash is turning me off. It reminds me a little too much of BioShock and as much as I enjoyed that game, I always found juggling the powers and weapons at the same time a bit of a chore. Still, the nut shot is wicked nice.

GameStop wants to link your console to a GameStop ID | Joystiq
Evil. The last thing Gamestop needs is idiots handing over their account info so they can mine their customers purchasing habits. Of course, I don't see any scenario where they aren't going to succeed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2011, 05:53 PM

Sony issues more court documents in hacking case, GeoHot's lawyer responds | Joystiq
According to PSX-Scene, there's also evidence that Sony sent $1 to Hotz's PayPal account through his email address, in order to prove he is accepting donations, even though he hadn't actually requested donations.
Not sure what that proves, but you seem to have Sony's thinking nailed, excalibur.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2011, 10:35 PM

And just as expensive I'd assume. Didn't they learn from PS3's launch?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2011, 10:43 PM

Still, the nut shot is wicked nice.
Yeah, it certainly is!. I'm still on the fence with this game, however.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2011, 11:23 AM

Friday News: That Time of the Month Edition

Black Ops, Madden lead NPD's top 2010 physical game sales | Joystiq
Annual 2010 Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms including PC)

Call of Duty: Black Ops* (360, PS3, Wii, PC, NDS)
Madden NFL 11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
Halo: Reach* (360)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
Red Dead Redemption (360, PS3)
Wii Fit Plus* (Wii)
Just Dance 2 (Wii)
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2* (360, PS3, PC)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood* (360, PS3)
NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Wii, PC)
Analysis:
Thanks to NPD rejiggering it's output, this list doesn't really compare well to other years (Apples to Oranges). I had to keep reminding myself of this when I spotted Modern Warfare 2 in the Top 10.

Halo: Reach best selling exclusive of the year. This includes Wii games. That's actually a fairly impressive result considering the sales juggernaut that is first-party Nintendo titles (and that hardware bundles were excluded).

No PS3 exclusives on here. Off the top of my head, God of War III and GT5 came out this year, which are not minor names by any stretch of the imagination so I am a bit surprised.

Gamasutra - News - NPD Results, December 2010: Industry Down 9% For December, 5% For Year
1.86 million units sold in December 2010, making the month the best ever for Microsoft's system, according to NPD.

[UPDATE: Nintendo trumpeted sales of 2.36 million Wii systems in December 2010, down 38 percent from the same month last year. Despite the decline, that figure still snaps a six month streak for Microsoft's system atop U.S. retail home console sales. The Wii also led home console hardware sales for the year, with over 7 million units sold.
I won't predict how long it lasts for, but on the back of the slim redesign and kinect, MS is moving more units than ever before. Still, as much as Wii sales are "dying" the 360's best month ever couldn't topple the behemoth that is the Wii during the holiday season (And 6 months of leading sales wasn't enough to wrangle most sales on the year).

Of course Sony's commentary is absent, speaking volumes in silence.

The Top 10 new retail sellers in the U.S. for December 2010 (with sales combined across systems) were as follows:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision Blizzard) - Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DS, PC - over 3.6 million
2. Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft) - Wii
3. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (Activision Blizzard) - PC
4. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft) - Xbox 360, PS3
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) - Wii
6. Disney Epic Mickey (Disney Interactive Studios) - Wii
7. Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts) - Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP
8. Michael Jackson: The Experience (Ubisoft) - Wii, DS, PSP
9. NBA 2K11 (Take-Two Interactive) - Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC
10. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts) - Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC
Call of Duty: Black Ops was also the top-selling title for the year, selling more than 12 million units to come in twice as high as number two seller Madden NFL 11.
That's 12 million... in the US. Not worldwide. Holy cow.

Xbox's David Dennis on December NPDs, 'best month ever for Xbox 360 hardware sales' | Joystiq
During the second half of the December, Dennis said Microsoft resorted to air shipping consoles in to meet customer demand.
With both the Xbox 360 and Kinect selling so well in December, it was surprising to learn that no Xbox 360-exclusive titles made it to the NPD's list of top 10 sellers for the month. Dennis says that, internally, they don't compare themselves to handheld titles, so on his list he's got Kinect Sports at No. 8. NPD analyst Anita Frazier says, "On an SKU basis, games that are in the top 10 for the month that aren't reflected in our title-level best-selling list include Kinect Sports [...] and Dance Central from Microsoft."
It took 5 years, but its finally MS' turn to claim manufacturing "shortages" this console gen.

PS3 Hacker Being Sued For "Making Sony Mad"
As the man says in the clip below, though, the courts set a precedent for allowing the jailbreaking of closed systems when he cracked the iPhone a few years ago, and there's little reason to assume they won't do the same here.

Rumor: 3DS to use the hated Friend Code system- Destructoid

This Game Pits Its Jerk Players Against One Another
Upcoming fighting game Marvel vs Capcom 3 tracks instances of "rage-quitting" — when a player drops out of an online match rather than face defeat — and remembers.

If you pull the plug too many times, whenever you go to play an online match, you'll be paired against other people who pull the plug too many times. Meaning the game is basically throwing all its griefers in a padded cell, locking the door and walking away.
Excellent concept. Too bad it only work on a player v player basis.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2011, 12:03 PM

This Game Pits Its Jerk Players Against One Another

Excellent concept. Too bad it only work on a player v player basis.

Easy way around it is to just disconnect the wi-fi adapter in the back of the xbox to lose connection. They wont get penalized. I do it in Halo when I need to play a certain map and they can't track that kind of stuff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2011, 12:49 PM

That doesn't work. Early on people complained that they were being punished because their shitty internet lagged out.

Bulletstorm demo blows up Jan. 25 on Xbox Live, PSN | Joystiq
Good. Assuming I'm not too lazy to check it out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 17, 2011, 11:51 AM

Sony dealt blow in PS3 hacking case over jurisdiction question
"If having a PayPal account were enough [for California to have jurisdiction], then there would be personal jurisdiction in this court over everybody, and that just can't be right," she stated, as reported by GamesIndustry.biz. "That would mean the entire universe is subject to my jurisdiction, and that's a really hard concept for me to accept."
Up yours to shitty EULAs everywhere.

Edit: Actually, I guess Sony isn't trying to enforce their EULA's terms, but instead trying to force jurisdiction by the donation they gave him? This case is really strange..

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2011, 03:30 PM

YouTube - GTA 4 Carmageddon - 2!

Posting this in the News thread since it'll be slightly more likely to get views. Someone gave all the cars negative traction/friction values and what ensues is something like Inception meets the Matrix.

I particularly enjoy when he jumps on the hood of the car.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2011, 11:21 AM

Wednesday News

Nintendo 3DS Invades Your Eyeballs March 27 for $250
Get right to it: How much does it cost?
It's $250.

When I can buy it
March 27 in the US.
Bulletstorm's enemies: An army of clones | Joystiq
In Bulletstorm, an entire army has been created from just one guy, and a People Can Fly dev blog post tells us how regular enemies puts that same character model to use (as a single model helps to combat memory limitations). The way the developer sidesteps the whole "boring generic army of clones" thing is through slight body size variations, cosmetic attachments and even skin tones, as you can see above. This varied accoutrement will (hopefully) help each baddie seem unique when the game launches next month.
The cynical side of me wants to say that if they're talking this up there must not be much to the game.

Xbox 360 update lets you load games at startup again- Destructoid
Didn't realize the feature was even missing. Those 5 months MW2 never left my tray were closest I ever came to enabling this.

When Mods Are Fired For Being Jackasses
An employee of Riot Games, operators of action RTS League of Legends (ironically, about to pioneer a new system aimed at curbing jerkish behaviour online), was live-streaming a match on his Justin.tv account last week when he was seen verbally abusing another player. As if that wasn't enough, he then banned the target of his ire from the game.

Note that these weren't your average "yo mama" taunts. The employee's quips, with the handle PsyonicHero, were chock-full of obscenities and topped off with a racial slur.

With the matter having enraged players of the game, Riot Games took one look at the situation and promptly fired the employee, its Community Manager Steve Mescon writing:
It's beginning to look like anyone with the title "Community Manager" is a giant douche.

Activision Can Take Its Black Ops And Go Home, You Know
Well I have nothing else to offer and I too follow forums and have many friends who play and enjoy the game for all of its features. As an avid gamer, I would also disagree with any legalities involving a single aspect of a game as online experience may change at any time. The publishers have the right to shut down the servers for their game at any time as well which based on the number of reported posts from users may be a viable solution over the free PSN.
The situation already feels overblown – it's just a frustrated nobody making empty threats (Though that hasn't stopped Destructoid resident douchenut Jim Sterling from this provocative title: Activision threatens to pull Black Ops PS3 support- Destructoid.

Still, it does sum up the general feeling we get from the developers. Other than a quick patch after the last crippling update I've heard nothing on any PS3 resolutions.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2011, 01:19 PM

http://majornelson.com/archive/2011/...this-week.aspx
Xbox LIVE Dashboard update:
On Wednesday, January 19th we will issue a mandatory dashboard update that (re) enables the ‘Boot to Disc’ option in the Xbox 360 dashboard. After you accept the update, you’ll be able to set the option to boot to the Xbox 360 dashboard OR directly to the game you have in the tray when you power up your console. This option can be found in the System Settings.

Xbox.com update:
Additionally, on Thursday January 20th the Xbox.com team will ship an update that contains a small update to the Gamercards. We’ve updated the Gamercard look and feel a bit and removed gamerzone from the card. Other than that, the same amount of information is on the card. Here is an example:
The rare winter update. I'm not surprised they're removing gamerzone. I was just reflecting yesterday that it's completely pointless. I suppose in a pre-avatar world it helped provide some unit of distinction/differentiation.

Then again rep is pretty pointless, too. When was the last time you saw a non-noob with less than 5 stars?

The new one:

I hope this doesn't affect the already moody as **** 1337 pwn widget.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2011, 03:25 PM

Sorry for the three bump...

Nintendo Finally Makes Online Play Easy With 3DS
But the 3DS fixes some of that when it hits Japan in February and the U.S and Europe in March. The new Friend Code system will now be tied directly to the 3DS you own and there will only be one for each system, so no more secondary Friend Codes for games.

Activision finds no Bizarre buyers, recommends closure | Joystiq
Small bit of shame, as I enjoyed PGR4 (though I'm not really clamoring for another). It also highlights what Jawbone was saying about MS taking the eye off the exclusive ball, thought Bizarre has been gone for quite a few years now.

Valve talks Portal 2 on PlayStation 3, Steam on 360
"Giving a PS3 owner of Portal 2 the ability to also play their game on the PC and Mac is an extension of this philosophy. From our perspective, it's not two copies of a game; it's the same game, but with Sony's help we've worked out a method to allow that Portal 2 PS3 customer to also play their game on the PC and Mac."

Which of course brings up an obvious question: was this option also offered to Microsoft? "It is achievable from a technical standpoint, yes," he told Ars. Allow us to speculate for a moment and say that Microsoft most likely doesn't like third-parties using their own online tools, nor would it agree to giving up any control of patches or updates, an issue that has long been a sticking point between the two companies.

Now that Steam is running on the PlayStation 3, the service may be added to other games as well as Portal 2, but Lombardi refuses to give any specific news. "We are hoping other titles will benefit from the Steamworks tools and services we've created for Portal 2 PS3, but we don't have anything to announce today."
I'm not sure if this was missed during E3 or just downplayed, but Steam on PS3 seems like a Big Deal to me. Again, probably not in the near future, but if it does well it could be key for selling the PS4.

While Sony is also indicted for previously having been difficult, this seems to hit again Jawbone's critique that MS is slowly losing it. In many ways Valve is a poster child for how to do right by gamers (Deadlines are another subject altogether); MS cockblocking every attempt to bring that mentality to the 360 (See: L4D and its updates & DLC) might end up biting them in the ass in the long run.

Anyway, admittedly there's not much here yet, but it sounds like depending how this goes, this could open up some new doors in the PS3s future.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2011, 02:08 AM

Fun fact: the Virtual Boy was also $250, if adjusted for inflation.

Been playing Epic Mickey, it is FUN. But the camera and controls are terrible.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2011, 11:15 AM

Xbox Update Stealth Kills Call Of Duty Pirates
Seems like that innocent little Xbox 360 update yesterday wasn't just to restore the option to boot the console straight to a disc. It also contained secret pirate-fighting juice.

Now that it's been mentioned, it did seem a little strange that the update came out of nowhere. And for such a tiny fix clocked in at 7mb.

But then people who had been using pirated copies of Call of Duty (both Black Ops and Modern Warfare) installed the update and found their pirated copies didn't work anymore, and it all made sense.
...and so ends the mystery of the random MS January update.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2011, 04:20 PM

Did The Creators of Call of Duty Delay A Map Pack To Help Out The Competition?
An internal email from a rival Electronic Arts executive, released today as part of a court filing, seems to boast about getting one of the developers of Modern Warfare 2 to delay add-ons for the game. A delay could have prevented the add-on from interfering with the release of the shooter's biggest competitor.

"A couple months ago, I asked Vince to hold back their map pack until after we launched. (He owes me one,) " starts the email written by the rival developer, apparently referring to Modern Warfare 2 developer Vince Zampella. "Given that they've already made a billion, he was cool with that, obviously (Activision CEO ) Kotick took it as being belligerent."
Well, that certainly sounds pretty damning, doesn't it?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2011, 05:03 PM

Yeeeeeiiiikes...

Yeah, ya think? Everyone originally assumed that Activision was screwing the "little guys." For future reference, it would probably do me some good to incorporate just a little more cynicism into early reports on devs getting the shaft.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Everyone originally assumed that Activision was screwing the "little guys."
Wait, what makes you think this wasn't the case as well?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2011, 05:11 PM

Who's to say Activision wasn't somehow aware of the two's alleged disloyalty? Clearly there were problems before. I think it's obvious that Activision bent them over like a single-shot, but maybe Zampella and crew weren't any more innocent in the beginning.

Also, from your linked article:

Reached for comment today, EA spokesman Jeff Brown said the email was an obvious joke.

"This was obviously sarcasm," he said. "It's clear from the email this was a joke and they never spoke. We explained this to lawyers at Activision – who apparently don't have much of a sense of humor."
Uh, no it wasn't.

Everyone knows humor, especially sarcasm, doesn't translate well over Email. It's tough to pull it off in the 'NN.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2011, 05:16 PM

Who's to say Activision wasn't somehow aware of the two's alleged disloyalty? Clearly there were problems before. I think it's obvious that Activision bent them over like a single-shot, but maybe Zampella and crew weren't any more innocent in the beginning.
That would imply Activison would take it easy on someone who is nice. That sounds laughably naive. You're talking about people who tried to cockblock a mediocre game they passed on from getting published.

No way, dude. These guys would sell their own mothers to make a buck. All they care about is getting their way, no matter how.

Uh, no it wasn't.
The only part that may have been sarcasm was "He owes me one."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2011, 05:55 PM

That would imply Activison would take it easy on someone who is nice. That sounds laughably naive. You're talking about people who tried to ****block a mediocre game they passed on from getting published.

No way, dude. These guys would sell their own mothers to make a buck. All they care about is getting their way, no matter how.
Oh, I have no doubt that they'd hang 'em on the wall if they knew for sure, but my speculation is more of the "Activision might have heard rumblings and rumors that they couldn't act on" variety.

Activision has established that the almighty dollar rules all in their HQ. It just seems like a case of the big bad guy hammering on the smaller, possibly-bad guy. Everyone just instinctively sides with the creatives > suits, perhaps a bit too quickly.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2011, 12:56 PM

Oh, I have no doubt that they'd hang 'em on the wall if they knew for sure, but my speculation is more of the "Activision might have heard rumblings and rumors that they couldn't act on" variety.

Activision has established that the almighty dollar rules all in their HQ. It just seems like a case of the big bad guy hammering on the smaller, possibly-bad guy. Everyone just instinctively sides with the creatives > suits, perhaps a bit too quickly.
Because the suits hold all the cards and have no souls (creatively or spiritually). West & Zampanella may be pure evil, but turning on another pure evil entity makes me feel ambivalent about the action at worst.

Unless it could be demonstrated that this was their plan since they first joined forces with Activison (which it can't be since they hadn't even created MW then).

EA obviously deserves some ire here, thanks to trying to poach a contracted developer, but what I find so fascinating is that West & Zampanella were willing to risk all this to leave Activision to go back to the original publisher they ditched to found their own company. They must really hate Activision. (If you've read the history behind trying to get Modern warfare made, you can see why)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2011, 01:42 PM

xbox.com/live.com is such an incredible piece of shit.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2011, 11:53 PM

Eh?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2011, 12:28 AM

Wow... just wow...

"Total Recall" 3-titty alien on steroids

You can expect a hell of a lot more crude humor come May 6.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2011, 01:49 AM

You gotta be kiddin' me! Duke Nukem?!? What's that?
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2011, 03:09 AM

Eh?
Try using the redeem code section.

I have similar results trying to queue shit to my xbox.

AustinAW
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2011, 02:07 AM

i dont understand why the wii has the most votes...its for little kids

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2011, 02:44 PM

Check the date of the first post, when this thread was started, then get back to us. (hint: we are on page 187, currently)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2011, 03:01 PM

For a better cross section of folks who A. Actively play video games and B. Discuss them... look no further than the majority of threads in the gaming forum. Hint: 360 and PS3 dominate. Can't remember the last thread about a Wii game...

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by AustinAW View Post
i dont understand why the wii has the most votes...its for little kids
yeah I am one of the 50 percent of female players on Nintendo console

I understand that men need macho consoles and macho games like shooters and overdriving exotic cars they can't afford to buy LOL

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2011, 05:01 PM

Not trying to pick a fight here, but what I want in a console is the ability to control action on the screen quickly and with some illusion of precision. The Wiimote gives me an arm cramp and I am far from out of shape.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2011, 05:37 PM

Beyond just the Wiimote, the games I like to play aren't even technically possible on the Wii. So it's not for me, and never will be.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2011, 05:43 PM

I've been playing the new 007 game at my buddy's house and it is probably the closest the Wii has come to a modern FPS yet. However, at no point does using the Wiimote hold any advantage over conventional controls. In fact, I've seen very very little uses of the motion control system that wouldn't easily be replaced by two joysticks and a comfortable controller.

Although it is hideously old-hat at this point, I consider Wii Bowling to be a perfect example of proper use of motion controls.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2011, 06:32 PM

Tennis would be another good use.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 24, 2011, 11:36 AM

*checks the date on the posts*

Is it 2007 again?

Forum Links
Forum Rules