Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 07:35 PM

I think its about time we have a new poll on this.

No need for comments or anything. just vote already

Cheers

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 07:36 PM

Why would anyone want a crappy wii?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 07:37 PM

Ignore him guys. just place your vote

Cheers

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 10, 2006, 07:39 PM

Note that you can choose more than one console in this poll. That is a good thing.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 07:46 PM

Yup. i didnt know we could actually do that, when i saw it, i thought it would make more sence given the tech-savvyness of the ppl here

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 07:53 PM

Why ignore the issue that games on the Wii are indistinguishable from GC games? Just look at Mario.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 08:13 PM

I'll get the one that has the official Formula 1 simulation.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Note that you can choose more than one console in this poll. That is a good thing.
Not that GoMac or Hawk need it. If they buy anything other than Nintendo Mario cries.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 08:39 PM

i like the new controller by Nintendo

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 08:55 PM

I like all three for different reasons. I think I'm going to try and stick with the 360 and Wii this generation. I don't think I would only want the Wii however, because I'm sure you would end up getting screwed in the long run.

If I absolutely had to only get one, it would probably be the PS3, which is funny, because it's also probably going to be the only one I don't buy.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 09:05 PM

If the Wii is under $300 and the reviews and graphics are better than they are now I might consider it.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
If the Wii is under $300 and the reviews and graphics are better than they are now I might consider it.
If I had taken this poll 6 months ago, I'd say the PS3. But after finding out the price of the PS3 and now that more info has come out about the Wii, I'm seriously considering going with Nintendo. I'll probably get the Wii and wait a few years when the PS3 price drops and then pick it up.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2006, 09:23 PM

Assuming the 360 gets a price drop in the fall, I'm probably gonna have to go for one.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
If I had taken this poll 6 months ago, I'd say the PS3. But after finding out the price of the PS3 and now that more info has come out about the Wii, I'm seriously considering going with Nintendo. I'll probably get the Wii and wait a few years when the PS3 price drops and then pick it up.
I am hearing some similar thoughts on other forums, although many are saying, yeah forget the PS3, but get the Wii... in addition to the Xbox 360 they already have been enjoying for 6 months. Two game consoles for the price of one, as it were.

The (not so) shocking part is that I see lots on the Playstation-oriented forums that are shifting away from the PS3 too.

I really wonder what's happening in Japan. I think the Xbox 360 will gain market share, but will still remain low there. Nintendo will really gain there methinks. The PS3 will still sell a lot of units, but will have nowhere near as big a share as I had originally been thinking.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 09:42 PM

I'll probably be getting an xbox360 sometime this week or next. I highly doubt I will be buying a PS3, but I guarantee I will be buying a Wii.

I cannot wait for the Wii. In my opinion, it is by far the most exciting thing to come out in video games in recent memory.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2006, 10:00 PM

Not that GoMac or Hawk need it. If they buy anything other than Nintendo Mario cries.
Isn't it strange how desperate SWG gets the more everyone doesn't like the Playstation?

For the record, I voted Wii and XBox 360.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 11:00 PM

I picked the Nintendo Wii... even tho I own the xBox 360.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 11:14 PM

I'm getting a PS3. In fact I'll be pre-ordering it as soon as the local EB Games starts taking orders. Mostly just because I'm a Sony fanboy (Only their video games though, not TV's, not DVD player's, and especially not camera's).

I had a PlayStation withen a month of its release.

I drove (or had my Mom drive rather. I was too young to drive at the time) to Toys-R-Us in an other state to pick up a PS2 withen the 1st month.

I was number 3 on the pre-order list for PSP's at the local EB Games. Their list was several pages long.

Am I a fanboy? Yes. Do I care? Of course not!
( Last edited by MacMan4000; May 10, 2006 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Alcohol impairs grammar and puntuation skills.)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
Im getting a PS3... in fact ill be pre-ordering it as soon as the local video game store starts taking orders. Mostly just because Im a sony fanboy (only their video games though... not TVs, not DVD players, and especially not cameras).

I had a PlayStation withen a month of its release.

I drove (or had my mom drive rather. i was too young to drive at the time) to toys-r-us in an other state to pick up a PS2 withen the 1st month.

I was number 3 on the pre-order list for PSPs at the local EB games... their list was several pages long.

Am i a fanboy? yes. do i care? of course not!
Nothing wrong with that. You're allowed.

The Sony fanboys will continue to buy the PS3s. What the issue for Sony though is that they can't just depend on the fanboys to make the PS3 successful. The pricing has the potential to alienate a lot of fence-sitters and casual gamers.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Isn't it strange how desperate SWG gets the more everyone doesn't like the Playstation?

For the record, I voted Wii and XBox 360.

Once again your comments are well... dumb. You really sound dumb as dirt. Sorry.

If you have a look at the PS3 thread you can see how I said I was HUGLY unimpressed by the PS3 presentation. I also said they copied Nintendo's controller and Xbox's live. In fact I said the only thing I am looking forward to is the blu-ray drive.

I also said I was impressed with the Wiimote in FPS and if it was under $300 I would probably get it.

Isn't it strange that you can't see that? But I guess that is where the "dumb" comes in.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2006, 11:58 PM

Once again your comments are well... dumb. You really sound dumb as dirt. Sorry.

If you have a look at the PS3 thread you can see how I said I was HUGLY unimpressed by the PS3 presentation. I also said they copied Nintendo's controller and Xbox's live. In fact I said the only thing I am looking forward to is the blu-ray drive.

I also said I was impressed with the Wiimote in FPS and if it was under $300 I would probably get it.

Isn't it strange that you can't see that? But I guess that is where the "dumb" comes in.
I'm not getting why I'm a Nintendo fanboy here. I don't think Nintendo will take the top spot in this round. I think it will go to Microsoft. Usually I post because every anti-Nintendo post you make is so.... bad... I feel the need to inject a bit of reality into your world. We all listened while you told us how badly the DS would fail and the PSP would dethrone Nintendo. It didn't happen. We also had to listen to your rants about how badly the Wii would fail, how no one would buy it, and how no one would like the control scheme. The Wii isn't out yet, but I think it's getting pretty safe to say that doesn't look to be true either.

Nothing you say about Nintendo is ever insightful or accurate. Your death predictions never come to pass. You're the Dvorak of the video game world. Anybody who attempts to inject a bit of reality into your arguments is labeled a fanboy.

My first Nintendo system ever was the N64. This should tell you how much of a "Nintendo fanboy" I am.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 12:05 AM

Also, of note, and for a healthy dose of reality, the PS3's at E3 STILL aren't in the real cases:

"Either way, it seemed as if we'd inadvertently killed a PlayStation 3. Fortunately, tech support was on hand in the form of a man opening up the outsize drawer in which the PS3 was hidden and hitting the reset button. In the process, the truth of what we were actually playing on was revealed: a huge betamax video recorder-looking dev kit, and not a sexy 'clear black' PS3 at all."

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/gam...sectionId=1006

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 12:07 AM

My first Nintendo system ever was the N64. This should tell you how much of a "Nintendo fanboy" I am.
I miss Goldeneye on the N64. It is still one of my all time favourites.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2006, 12:26 AM

Goldeneye, San Francisco Rush, StarFox64, Turok... God I miss my 64.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2006, 12:29 AM

The fanboyism on all sides (Sony, micorosft and nintendo) seems a bit stupid in my opinion (then again, I am a bit of an Apple fanboy). I really see the systems appealing to different people, and I hope they all drive each other to create better systems and games. Having said that.. I think I'll probably go for a 360 when the price drops and get a Wii just for the very simple games like WiiSports and party type games. It'll probably take a while to get Wii controller to work really well with FPS and other more complex games (though i could be wrong).

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I still have mine. And it still rocks my socks.

meelk
Baninated
May 11, 2006, 01:05 AM

ahaha. itll be $250 AT MOST and you know it. Nintendo has never fielded a console over 200 USD. They *could* this time based on increased oil prices etc, but it would be a first. 300 is absolutely not going to happen.

before anyone decides to get lippy, proof here:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/643/643170p1.html

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 01:10 AM

I played 4-player Bond last night. Pistols and License to Kill.

Siberian Special Forces is the man.

San Fran Rush was one of the most addictive games I've ever played, gotta find those keys!!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Wii's Virtual Console is your friend.

same applies for older Nintendo & SEGA systems…

willed
Professional Poster
May 11, 2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Wii's Virtual Console is your friend.

same applies for older Nintendo & SEGA systems…

IMAGES CUT...
Whu? What's that? And how do you play the old school games on the crazy new controller? Will you be able to get a standard controller?

If you can play SNES and N64 games on the Revolution (which I will insist on calling it!) then I may actually get one...

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by willed
Whu? What's that? And how do you play the old school games on the crazy new controller? Will you be able to get a standard controller?

If you can play SNES and N64 games on the Revolution (which I will insist on calling it!) then I may actually get one...

Nintendo also showed a normal controller.

Unlike XBOX and PS2 if you want to play older N64, NES and SNES games you need to repurchase them.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by willed

Virtual Console is Wii's game download service, games from the NES, Super NES, and Nintendo 64, as well as Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx 16 will be offered via the Virtual Console download service. Is much like iTunes Music Store for gamers!

There is a controller aimed to play those games, it is really good looking IMHO:

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2006, 10:07 AM

My wife and I have a policy: we buy a console when it has five games that we're interested in playing. Of the current generation of systems, we ended up with a GameCube, a GBA, a DS, and a PS2. The XBox only ever managed one game -Fable- while the PSP is holding at three.

Of the next generation, the XBox 360 currently has zero (one if you count Fable). The PS3 currently has three, but we've made an exception for this one: we're waiting until it has either ten games or five and a reasonable pricetag. The Wii, by contrast, currently has eight games that we're interested in, so it will probably be the first of the three that we get.

We'll probably get the PS3 eventually; they've got enough going for them that they'll eventually fulfill our criteria. I have my doubts about the XBox 360, though. Microsoft is trying to take over the industry through the 3G formula, and my wife and I don't buy into that BS. On the other hand, they do have Hironobu Sakaguchi -someone who actually understands how to make a good game- on their side now, so maybe they'll surprise us with something.

My biggest prediction for the industry, however, is that it's at a crossroads, and its name is Final Fantasy XV. XIV will be on the PS3, of course, but after that, Square's exclusivity contract with Sony ends. I don't think Square-Enix will be willing to renew that contract; the price of the PS3 will be too much of a barrier for gamers, and it won't do as well as people had hoped. I don't know whether Square will go with Nintendo or Microsoft, or possibly just go cross-system, but whatever way Square goes, the industry will follow.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2006, 10:11 AM

Unlike XBOX and PS2 if you want to play older N64, NES and SNES games you need to repurchase them.
Actually, Nintendo is considering a program whereby you can send them your copy of the game to prove that you purchased it once. They would then authorize your download and send the game back. You could then play them on the Wii for the cost of shipping the game to Nintendo and back once.

As for the "unlike the XBOX and PS2" quote, that's not really a fair comparison, viden that if you want to play N64, NES, and SNES games on these you have to delve into multiple areas of questionable legality, and most people don't bother to keep it legitimate.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 11, 2006, 10:45 AM

Get all of them and throw a party every day.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 11, 2006, 10:47 AM

I'm going to buy 6 $600 PS3s.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 11, 2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Agasthya
I'm going to buy 6 $600 PS3s.
And make a render farm.

meelk
Baninated
May 11, 2006, 10:55 AM

Nintendo also showed a normal controller.

Like you wont be repurchasing ps1 games for your psp under sonys download model right?
...oh wait, YOU WILL.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Actually, Nintendo is considering a program whereby you can send them your copy of the game to prove that you purchased it once. They would then authorize your download and send the game back. You could then play them on the Wii for the cost of shipping the game to Nintendo and back once.

As for the "unlike the XBOX and PS2" quote, that's not really a fair comparison, viden that if you want to play N64, NES, and SNES games on these you have to delve into multiple areas of questionable legality, and most people don't bother to keep it legitimate.
That sounds like a logistical nightmare.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by meelk
Like you wont be repurchasing ps1 games for your psp under sonys download model right?
...oh wait, YOU WILL.
I never owned a PS1. Won't repurchase game I already have no.

Actually I still have my old Nintendo systems and games so I don't need to repurchase them.

You can get an old Supernintendo systems and games on ebay for less.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 11, 2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
And make a render farm.

Damn straight! Toy Story style graphics.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
That's nice and all but you can get the original games from stores for less then the shipping to Nintendo.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2006, 11:42 AM

That's nice and all but you can get the original games from stores for less then the shipping to Nintendo.
Sometimes. It depends on the rarity of the game and the demand for it. The original Dragon Warrior is easy to find, but when't the last time you saw Crystalis in a game store? Even if you did see it, I'll bet it cost more than shipping would have.

That's the beauty of the download service: scarcity is no longer an issue. There's also talk of translating and releasing -for the first time- some of the games that never made it to US shores; Mother (the sequel to which was released in the US as Earth Bound) and the original Fire Emblem games are also both rumored.

Also, you assume that the download service is targeted at people who still have the original games and system, and just want to play them "on the Wii" as some kind of gimmick. I'm not sure that's actually who Nintendo is going for, because as far as they go, you're right; they can just keep playing the games they already own on their original systems. I think Nintendo going for people who haven't played these games before, either because the system was Before Their Time or because they couldn't get it back then for whatever reason. In other words, they're trying to capture what is coming to be called "the Long Tail". Time will tell whether or not this works out, but I think it at least stands a decent chance.

Consider: you seem to be a fairly dedicated gamer, and you have a good knowledge of older systems. So I'm guessing it's a safe bet that you use emulators for older systems from time to time. Thousands of people do. But when is the last time you emulated a game when you both owned a legit copy of the game and a console to play it on? If you've ever done that at all, it's probably been quite some time. More likely, you use emulators to play games you don't own, and for games you've never played at all. That's what people really use emulators for, despite all the legal claptrap about only playing ROMs that you have personally dumped from a cartridge you legally own.

Nintendo isn't stupid. They've been fighting the emulation community for a long time, and they know what emulators are really used for. What I think the download service represents is a change in tactics: rather than fighting the emulation community, they've decided to try and tap it as a market. If they charge a reasonable price for the downloads, they may have a major winner on their hands.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 11:53 AM

"Microsoft Corp. sided with rival Nintendo Co. Ltd. on Wednesday in the fight to unseat video game leader Sony Corp., saying many consumers will choose to buy both of their machines for the price of one PlayStation 3."

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsAr...-MICROSOFT.xml

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 11:54 AM

Keep 5 systems all hooked up to my TV, taking up space? I think I'll pass.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2006, 12:12 PM

"Microsoft Corp. sided with rival Nintendo Co. Ltd. on Wednesday in the fight to unseat video game leader Sony Corp., saying many consumers will choose to buy both of their machines for the price of one PlayStation 3."

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsAr...-MICROSOFT.xml
"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters.
Wow.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 12:16 PM

Should we recap the hype and promises Nintendo put out at the E3 before the Cube was released?
There are plenty of goodies that are worth a laugh.

Also keep in mind that the Cube being the cheapest of all 3 systems also put it in 3rd place in sales.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 12:23 PM

Should we recap the hype and promises Nintendo put out at the E3 before the Cube was released?
Ironic coming from the Sony fanboy.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 12:27 PM

Ironic coming from the Sony fanboy.

Hey Dumb dumb. you back again and calling me a fanboy? How does my sony bashing make me a fanboy dumb dumb?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
ahaha. itll be $250 AT MOST and you know it. Nintendo has never fielded a console over 200 USD. They *could* this time based on increased oil prices etc, but it would be a first. 300 is absolutely not going to happen.
Nice. Now lets talk how the camecube was the cheapest and it put Nintendo in 3rd place behind even Microsoft who is new to the market

Forum Links
Forum Rules