Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 137)
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2009, 01:23 PM

Why don't I return by picking on the PS3...?

Edge: Rage runs at 60fps on 360, 'just 20 to 30fps' on PS3 [update]

Edge reports that the game runs at "just 20-30fps" on Sony's console. Carmack places the blame on the PS3's GPU -- the RSX -- saying that, "The rasterizer is just a little bit slower -- no two ways about that...the RSX is slower than what we have in the 360." He sees both consoles as being comparable in terms of raw processing power, however. "The CPU is about the same, but the 360 makes it easier to split things off," he told the magazine. "...that's what a lot of the work has been, splitting it all into jobs on the PS3."

Rumor: PS3 now 70 percent cheaper to manufacture

If statements made during a Sony international investor conference call are to be believed, the company has managed to cut PS3 manufacturing costs by "about 70%, roughly speaking." Sony Corp CEO Nobuyuki Oneda stated that this was "on schedule." Concrete numbers haven't been revealed, but based on various reports since the PS3's inception, estimates are that the console now costs around $240 (£146) per unit -- way down from the original cost of $800 (£485).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2009, 03:10 PM

It's weird how Sony gave the PS3 such a sophisticated CPU that it's actually hard for people to use its full power and then paired it with this Mickey Mouse GPU.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2009, 04:16 PM

^ Well on the bright side at least the GPU doesn't fry... 360 is a piece of junk hardware-wise.

And I seriously hope the PS3 slim is $300 or $250. I'd pick one up in an instant.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2009, 04:34 PM

Technically the GPU doesn't fry, it just heats up enough to release it's solder from the board.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 10:36 AM

Notable software news is hard to come by these days. Here's some more hardware stuff.

PS3 install base up to nearly 24 million
the Wii is sporting nearly the same number of users in the U.S. alone

Sony Ramping Up PS3 Production For...Something - PS3 - Kotaku

What does this all mean? Well, either Sony are expecting a significant increase in demand for the currently not-that-in-demand PS3, or...well, they're building an all-new PS3.

...and because I thought it was kinda cool
The Matrix Online's final moments documented

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
^ Well on the bright side at least the GPU doesn't fry... 360 is a piece of junk hardware-wise.

And I seriously hope the PS3 slim is $300 or $250. I'd pick one up in an instant.
Yeah, I'm finally getting interested in picking up a console and it looks like it might be worth my while to wait a few months to make my decision.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2009, 03:06 PM

The PS3, for whatever reason, seems to be picking up a lot more headlines as of late. It's really a fantastic console with some pretty darn good games. It's just been so freakin' expensive for most of its lifespan.

Who knows...a lot of you guys might make the jump over and pick up a console before I get a 360. My ID on both XBox Live and PSN is still Jawbone54, by the way.

And if any of you download Fat Princess, be prepared to love it.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2009, 10:30 AM

Xbox 360 Pro Being Phased Out Pretty Soon? - Xbox 360 - Kotaku
That'd be fine... if they were putting some type of HD into the Arcade (or dropping the price of Elite to match the Pro?). Who knows, maybe this is them making room for the Natal bundle in a year.

Modern Warfare is coming to the Wii after all
No, not the one you're thinking of.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The PS3, for whatever reason, seems to be picking up a lot more headlines as of late.
Yes, but they're all essentially the same story: "Is Sony sitting around looking at cute pictures of kittens on the Internet while their gaming business goes down in flames?"
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2009, 11:31 AM

90% of their headlines are about the hardware – primarily the possibility of a new slim or a price cut.

BTW, the other day I had the ludicrous realization that if the PS3 gets a $100 price-cut that many of us are salivating over, it will have taken three years to get to the original PS2 price point that I'll bet quite a few of us balked over.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2009, 01:13 PM

But given the launch price of the 360 and how much Nintendo is charging for its GameCube + motion sensor bundle, it no longer seems that crazy.
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2009, 01:18 PM

No, it's really not. Blu-Ray has greater value than the DVD drive had back then, the controllers are now wireless, and it comes with a built-in hard drive. Its got quite a bit on the PS2.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2009, 01:43 PM

It also has built-in WiFi which is quite nice. MS should have included WiFi on the Elite version of the 360.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
It also has built-in WiFi which is quite nice. MS should have included WiFi on the Elite version of the 360.
Agree x100...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2009, 02:28 PM

Let me go on record again as a critic of MS' inflated peripheral prices. As some sites have noted, its cheaper to buy a low-end wireless router and hook that up to your 360, rather than buy the wireless peripheral.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2009, 02:59 PM

Yep. That's what I did. Got my 360 is connected to a nearby Airport Express. There's no way I'm paying $100 for the wifi adapter. Too bad upgrading the hard drive isn't as easy. Especially when you don't own a PC. My 20GB hard drive is almost full.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2009, 05:03 PM

Same here, Stogie. I wish there was a way to copy all my data so I could have moved to the new units' 60GB drive, but I'm stuck with a measly 7 GB free right now.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2009, 05:09 PM

There's a transfer kit out there, but god knows how you get your hands on that.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2009, 06:29 PM

I think I have it still. I can send it to anyone who needs it. PM me.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2009, 06:42 PM

jokell, do you have connections? I seem to recall you being in the beta for NXE or something else.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Let me go on record again as a critic of MS' inflated peripheral prices. As some sites have noted, its cheaper to buy a low-end wireless router and hook that up to your 360, rather than buy the wireless peripheral.
???
how do i not know about this? and i call myself a geek.
I'm done with school next week (forever) and after graduation i'm moving back to the burgh and am going to be in need of a wireless adapter for my 360, whats this story about a router? something i can grab at work on the cheap?!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2009, 10:29 PM

Any wireless router or bridge can be hooked up to the 360 through its ethernet port. I've got an el cheapo D-Link bridge that connects my 360 to my network.
Chuck
___

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2009, 10:01 AM

jokell, do you have connections? I seem to recall you being in the beta for NXE or something else.
I've got a friend who's a developer, but it doesn't really get me much (other than the occasional beta invite). The transfer I kit from buying a 120gig hard drive.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
???
how do i not know about this? and i call myself a geek.
I'm done with school next week (forever) and after graduation i'm moving back to the burgh and am going to be in need of a wireless adapter for my 360, whats this story about a router? something i can grab at work on the cheap?!
Just an fyi - if you'd rather have the 360 adapter there's a sale on them at Tigerdirect right now ($60):
http://bit.ly/fpu67

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2009, 10:22 AM

If I wanted to upgrade the size of my hard drive (I'm with Stogie with a measly 20 gig), is it a pain in the ass to transfer it? Will I even be able to transfer everything or will I have to re-download it all? What about saved games?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I've got a friend who's a developer, but it doesn't really get me much (other than the occasional beta invite).
I figured as much.

The transfer I kit from buying a 120gig hard drive.
Ohhhhh.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
If I wanted to upgrade the size of my hard drive (I'm with Stogie with a measly 20 gig), is it a pain in the ass to transfer it? Will I even be able to transfer everything or will I have to re-download it all? What about saved games?
If you buy the hard drive new it comes with a transfer kit and CD, and it's very easy to do. If you buy one of the "hacked" replacements on ebay you'll need to obtain the transfer kit somehow. And like I said, I can pass it on to anyone who needs it.

You won't have to redownload anything. It copies everything that was on your original drive.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2009, 10:35 AM

Xbox 360 'Games on Demand' priced between $20-$30

This is awful. MS is either banking that idiots are likely to buy DLC (unlikely) or they think the "luxury" of an instant download increases the value of a game far more than the lack of a case, instructions, inability to play it anywhere, and inability to sell it devalue it.

Yeah, they're on crack. (As the commenters note repeatedly, many of these games are available cheaper at retail)

Allow me to beat a dead horse.
Sega clarifies first-week sales numbers for The Conduit

Those 72,000 units reported by NPD, then? Those were how many of the 150,000 copies shipped were sold-through to consumers (a.k.a. actually sold), according to Sega.
I guess Sega isn't lying when they say sales meet expectations with these games. Because if you're only shipping 150,000 copies for launch, your expectations must be low.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2009, 11:03 AM

Xbox 360 'Games on Demand' priced between $20-$30

This is awful. MS is either banking that idiots are likely to buy DLC (unlikely) or they think the "luxury" of an instant download increases the value of a game far more than the lack of a case, instructions, inability to play it anywhere, and inability to sell it devalue it.

Yeah, they're on crack. (As the commenters note repeatedly, many of these games are available cheaper at retail)

Allow me to beat a dead horse.
Sega clarifies first-week sales numbers for The Conduit

I guess Sega isn't lying when they say sales meet expectations with these games. Because if you're only shipping 150,000 copies for launch, your expectations must be low.
And in news certain to shock everyone in this thread, Wii Sports Resort sold 500,000 units in 8 days.

Is there any doubt as to what the Wii is for now? It's a party game system with other games simply an afterthought.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2009, 11:06 AM

And let's hear it for another hardware bundle from Nintendo that's moving like hotcakes...

That's what I find so amusing about the articles I've seen. No one is claiming that Motion Plus is moving like mad, even though they're one in the same.

(I still argue the first one moved because everyone was buying it for the second controller. I think the second one is moving because everyone enjoyed the first one –– no one cares about the Motion Plus adapter, per se.)

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2009, 11:16 PM

Unfortunately there's still a general apathy for third-party Wii titles.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2009, 11:27 PM

Did anyone lose connection to X-box live tonight? Every time I test my connection it says "Users may experience difficulties with the following services: Signing into Xbox live from an Xbox console. We are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience."

WTF?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2009, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Did anyone lose connection to X-box live tonight? Every time I test my connection it says "Users may experience difficulties with the following services: Signing into Xbox live from an Xbox console. We are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience."

WTF?
Yep, around 12am EST i was trying to log on and couldn't get it to sign in, good thing i don't pay for ....oh nevermind

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2009, 02:15 AM

Yep, I was working on my Elite license in Burnout (just 14 wins away) when I got the "Disconnected from Xbox Live" message. Now I can't download the All Fronts DLC for GoW 2. I think this maybe a sign.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2009, 10:29 AM

Valve wants to see a 'compelling game' from Natal (so do we!)

You're not the only one, Valve.

360 Games On Demand Pricing Isn't Exactly Consistent - Games on Demand - Kotaku

Others are ridiculous, especially when you compare prices across different regions. Take poor Australia, for example. In Australia, if you want to buy Mass Effect from the safety of your couch, it'll cost you 6000 Microsoft Points.

The game retails in stores for AUD$30-50, but on Games on Demand, that's AUD$99. Over twice the price

What really bothered me in the article was this statement:
They're exactly what you'd pay at retail for the game, and although you could say that's still a rip-off (since your digital product lacks a box and printed manual), that's how digital delivery rolls these days. Sorry.
That might be true if you ignore digital music and digital movies, which both get a (minor) discount compared to their retail counterparts.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2009, 11:42 AM

Music and movies offer you less quality than retail so the minor price difference I'd expect. Especially movies. You get no extras and lower video quality.

Digital downloads were suppose to pass savings to the consumer as they have no distribution channels and packaging to pay, the only company I can think of that does is Steam. Hence, why they are the most successful. As long as the price is the same or close I will go retail every time. I get a better purchase value and an even better resale value. Their greed is what is going to make digital downloads take longer to get mainstream especially with people watching how they spend now in a tanked economy.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2009, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Music and movies offer you less quality than retail so the minor price difference I'd expect. Especially movies. You get no extras and lower video quality.

Digital downloads were suppose to pass savings to the consumer as they have no distribution channels and packaging to pay, the only company I can think of that does is Steam. Hence, why they are the most successful. As long as the price is the same or close I will go retail every time. I get a better purchase value and an even better resale value. Their greed is what is going to make digital downloads take longer to get mainstream especially with people watching how they spend now in a tanked economy.
I suppose it's a possibility that they're also trying not to all out threaten the brick and mortars through this pricing scheme as well. GameStop has been jittery about this stuff the past few years.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2009, 12:55 PM

Yeah, I think they're trying to stay friendly with GameStop.
Chuck
___

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2009, 01:11 PM

I suppose it's a possibility that they're also trying not to all out threaten the brick and mortars through this pricing scheme as well. GameStop has been jittery about this stuff the past few years.
The only reason they haven't all out threatened the brick and mortar stores is because they know that only a certain percentage of their customers can buy digitally. Didn't Microsoft say that only half of their consoles sold have ever been hooked up to Live? You exclude quite a large amount of people if you force them to go online for their gaming purchases right now.

The PSP Go is about to test the waters, though. I suspect that if it's a success we'll see all of the big players move towards downloads.

And I don't think there is a single person in the gaming industry that cares about what Gamestop thinks. They all want to cut off Gamestop anyway because they don't see a dime of their used game sales. They may be scared of Walmart, though, since they do still need to sell their consoles in stores.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2009, 01:26 PM

The only reason they haven't all out threatened the brick and mortar stores is because they know that only a certain percentage of their customers can buy digitally.
That was my implication.

And I don't think there is a single person in the gaming industry that cares about what Gamestop thinks. They all want to cut off Gamestop anyway because they don't see a dime of their used game sales. They may be scared of Walmart, though, since they do still need to sell their consoles in stores.
What amazes me is they keep giving GameStop these exclusive pre-order bundles. I guess the lure of getting more people to purchase new overrides the idea of not sending customers to the chain that's subverting your bottom line.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2009, 03:24 PM

The only reason they haven't all out threatened the brick and mortar stores is because they know that only a certain percentage of their customers can buy digitally. Didn't Microsoft say that only half of their consoles sold have ever been hooked up to Live? You exclude quite a large amount of people if you force them to go online for their gaming purchases right now.

The PSP Go is about to test the waters, though. I suspect that if it's a success we'll see all of the big players move towards downloads.

As a consumer, I have no issue with Gamestop as I can dump old games I don't play for credit towards used or new games. Trading in for something is better than nothing. With digital downloads you get exactly that. Nothing. So unless there is a price break in there, to account for it... F- em. Give me a retail copy, any day.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2009, 05:15 PM

I hate Gamestop because of the stickers that they insist placing all over the case.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2009, 04:16 PM

Late News

How much money does a douchébag make?

Gamasutra - News - Study: 40 Percent Of US Homes Have Gaming Console, As HDTV Adoption Rises
Fatty will join us eventually...

Perhaps discussion-worthy:
The Real Reason You Can't Have More Than 100 Xbox Live Friends -- Halo 2 - G4tv.com
Does this bode poorly for our future of playing the 360 online long after it is extinct?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2009, 05:31 PM

You can take my crappy SDTV when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. Which will be pretty hard given that it weighs like 800 lbs.
Chuck
___

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You can take my crappy SDTV when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. Which will be pretty hard given that it weighs like 800 lbs.
I just had to move to a new apartment. I've vowed to never move my SDTV again. It will die in place in the event of a future move.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2009, 06:12 PM

I used to have these sort of Xbox LAN parties with my friends on Thursdays, and I would bring my TV, and geez, I don't think I got that much exercise the whole rest of the week.
Chuck
___

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2009, 06:55 PM

I'm surprised at the adoption rate. Another 2-3 years and HDTV/BD might finally be standard.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2009, 10:19 AM

Morning News: Picture Edition

People Buying Less, But Playing More (Wii Excepted) - Wii - Kotaku

I love how this Nielsen graph seems to have no correlation to this one.

So which one of you Wii owners are bummed this didn't come out?
Nintendo patents inflatable cushion -- you know, for horseback riding

[Insert Clever Line Here]

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I'm surprised at the adoption rate. Another 2-3 years and HDTV/BD might finally be standard.
The numbers didn't make sense to me. It went from 38% to 53% during a recession? Really? How does that work?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2009, 12:32 PM

I tried in vain for about 2 minutes to think of something with 360s, the red ring of death, and the crapper, but I've got nothin'.

Forum Links
Forum Rules