Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 177)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 29, 2010, 10:25 AM

Is The Nintendo 3DS Too Expensive?
Nintendo has priced the Nintendo 3DS, its 3D-glasses-free portable, at ¥25,000. That is the equivalent of US$298. Forget the crummy exchange rate for a moment, because the pricing could be different for the West.

The real question is how the Nintendo 3DS stands up to the pricing of other Nintendo handhelds.

The Nintendo DS launched in 2004 and was originally priced at ¥15,000. This was followed up by the Nintendo DS Lite in 2006. It was originally priced at ¥16,800.

Nintendo then launched the Nintendo DSi in 2008 and originally priced it at ¥18,900. This was followed by the Nintendo DSi XL in 2009. It was originally priced at ¥20,000.

Unlike the DSi XL, the 3DS will Let You Import Your Digital Game Library
Turns out that all of those digital games you purchased were tied not to your bank account, or the hard earned money you spent to get the games, but rather to the particular handheld console you used to purchase the titles.

Nintendo says that it is possible to move the downloads from the DSi and XL to the 3DS. It is also possible to move DSiWare, they say.

3DS has a Game Boy/GBA Virtual Console | Joystiq
/rollseyes

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 30, 2010, 10:35 AM

OMG Relax Haloties! The great conspiracy is over!

LIVE Activity for week of Sept 20th - Xbox Live's Major Nelson

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)
1 Halo: Reach
2 Modern Warfare 2
3 Halo 3
4 Call of Duty: WaW
5 FIFA Soccer 11
6 FIFA 10
7 Call of Duty 4
8 Madden NFL 11
9 GTA IV
10 Red Dead Redemption

---

Quick note: The $99 AppleTV ships with 8 GB of flash memory. Which is double that of the current $199 360 ARcade units.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2010, 10:43 AM

Anybody else have the new LIVE preview? Got it yesterday, I'm really loving it. The UI is so polished. ESPN3 is actually cool too, but the streaming quality isn't great.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 30, 2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Anybody else have the new LIVE preview?
I was going to but apparently I'd give up party chat to do so, which is too high a cost.

ESPN3 is actually cool too, but the streaming quality isn't great.
Does it look better if you go directly to their site?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
OMG Relax Haloties! The great conspiracy is over!
Halo is #1!! Halo is #1!!

Party! Party! Woohoo!

Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2010, 03:05 PM

Does it look better if you go directly to their site?
Not sure, I'll take a look later. I did notice that watching a recorded event vs. a live event resulted in better quality.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 30, 2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Halo is #1!! Halo is #1!!

Party! Party! Woohoo!
The amount MW2 hate in the comments section is amazing. Halo players have quite the Napoleon complex when it comes to CoD.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2010, 06:05 PM

Forget what I said, when I got home there were both a system update and an ESPN3 update. Now I've got HD for everything on ESPN3 in relatively good quality, but it's obvious that it's low bitrate (but no worse than say cable TV).

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2010, 09:24 PM

The amount MW2 hate in the comments section is amazing. Halo players have quite the Napoleon complex when it comes to CoD.
If I was a CoD follower, I would be hating too. But Halo (Halo 2 & 3) was one of the reasons I bought an Xbox. I'm a Halo follower first, probably a Saints Row follower second, and then CoD. I didn't follow CoD until CoD:MW2.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2010, 11:25 AM

Friday News

Gears of War 3 bumped from April 2011 to 'holiday season' next year | Joystiq
I imagine they'd have liked to have it the regular two year cycle and only grudgingly moved it to Spring '11. So in my eyes they had to push it back again. All the more reason Multi better bb ****ing flawless.

Why Nintendo Made The 3DS So Powerful
"The biggest reason why we developed the portable [with high specs] is because," Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told investors earlier this week, "we didn't want developers to think that they couldn't develop their titles for Nintendo game machines due to the specs."
Dear Nintendo,
Everyone thinks your console is underpowered, not your handheld.
Sincerely,
Anyone who has been paying attention

EA chickens out, pulls Taliban from MoH multiplayer
The game itself will not be changed in any way, the opposing force in the multiplayer section will simply no longer be called Taliban.
Dear EA,
Bawk bawk, bawk bawk bawwwwwwwwwk. Bawk bawk.
Sincerely,
The Chickens in Cages in Modern Warfare 2

Dear People Who Will Be Appeased by This,
A rose by any other name...
Sincerely,
Some Dead British Author

---

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
If I was a CoD follower, I would be hating too.
No, the opposite. Halo players hating on MW2 and it knocked off the top spot.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2010, 12:47 PM

Thank God. Little Timmy won't have to worry his pretty little head about moral ambiguity in relation to the Taliban. Back to Nazi zombies!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2010, 01:07 PM

Friday News

Gears of War 3 bumped from April 2011 to 'holiday season' next year | Joystiq
I imagine they'd have liked to have it the regular two year cycle and only grudgingly moved it to Spring '11. So in my eyes they had to push it back again. All the more reason Multi better be ****ing flawless.
You know it won't.

I'm not surprised by this move. There's no way Epic would release Gears 3 in such a close proximity to Bulletstorm.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2010, 01:19 PM

Microsoft: Xbox Live is 'most unique thing' about Windows Phone 7 | Joystiq
Dumb, dumb move. No one is going to buy a Windows phone just to get this. All this is is a disservice to the likely OS agnostic majority of 360 owners.

Rumor
Oct 1, 2010, 04:46 PM

Why the hell would I want to chat with my LIVE list while not home? If something is that important, I can just log into LIVE from my laptop and send a message.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
You know it won't.
*bursts into tears and goes running from the room*

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2010, 07:40 PM

Microsoft: Xbox Live is 'most unique thing' about Windows Phone 7 | Joystiq
Dumb, dumb move. No one is going to buy a Windows phone just to get this. All this is is a disservice to the likely OS agnostic majority of 360 owners.
What do you mean? No other phone platform lets you pick up and play a game where you left off with your home console. That's pretty magical and revolutionary IMHO.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2010, 07:55 PM

Which means it's only a matter of time until we have a PSPhone.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2010, 08:23 PM

Oh I have no doubt that Sony Ericsson are working on one, and have been, for quite a while now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2010, 10:49 AM

Elite's Meltdown May Get More Into A Jam — But Not On The Wii
Coming back from E3 in June, I decided I'd seen my excuse to go get a Wii. NBA Jam, which we'd given a best-of nomination, and which was absolutely thronged inside Electronic Arts' booth, open to close.

"Why?" Plunkett chided me. "You know they're going to bring it to the PS3 and 360. It's inevitable."

Sure enough, about three weeks after I bought the Wii, EA Sports confirmed that NBA Jam would be included as a free download with NBA Elite 11 on those two consoles. The version would lack one of the Wii game's modes; but it would have online multiplayer where the Wii didn't.
Further, 360 and PS3 owners know this game was supposed to be a free rider on NBA Elite. Full titles on PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Marketplace top out at $30. Having taken a huge blow in customer confidence, over NBA Elite, EA would do very little to recoup it if it tried to sell the free Xbox 360/PS3 download as-is, on a disc, for $40 or $50. Argumentatively, that would mean Elite is worth $10 or $20 if the thing comes out later, especially if it has the free copy of Jam as originally intended.
In its damage control campaign, EA Sports may have also closed the door to the Wii ever being anything more than an adjunct to the sports gaming experience, despite what is often said about supporting the platform and its gamers. Wii owners who love the genre had NBA Jam as a trump card for all of five months. Now they have good reason to wonder why titles truly unique to their console, and valuable for that reason, are so rare.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2010, 10:15 AM

NBA Jam review: Make new modes, but keep the old | Joystiq
The game feels excellent, though it's unclear whether that's due to EA Canada tightening up the actual controls of the game or if the graphical overhaul provided by three generations of game consoles has made the on-court action easier to keep track of. The game still moves at a breakneck pace, but few of your on-court failures or successes will leave you wondering what the hell just happened.

Two of the Remix Tour's five game types use the full-court perspective of the classic campaign: The two-on-two Remix mode, which mimics the classic game only with shorter quarters and randomly generated power-ups, and Smash mode, which has two two-player teams battling to dunk and alley-oop the opposition's hoop into oblivion. These two aren't terribly offensive, but play like gimmicky mini-games when compared to the core Jam formula.
Heh, the exclusive Remix mode sounds like the kinda of crap that gets shoveled onto the wii.

OnLive's Monthly Subscription Fees Are Dead
Steve Perlman, founder and CEO of OnLive, says today that the previously pricey ($14.95 USD per month) subscription plans have been scrapped, letting anyone and everyone try the platform for free. That means free demos, free spectating, free Brag Clip videos, messaging and friends lists, according to Perlman. Oh, sure, you still have to pay for the games you want to buy, but you probably knew that.

"Although we wish we could have confirmed no monthly fee from the get-go, pioneering a major new video game paradigm is hard," writes Perlman on the OnLive Blog. "We had to first grow to a large base of regular users before we could understand usage patterns and operating costs. Now that we've reached that stage, we can confidently say a monthly fee is not needed..."
Funny, I thought this would be a reaction to not having a user base. Looking forward to numbers, if they ever release any.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2010, 10:20 AM

What do you mean? No other phone platform lets you pick up and play a game where you left off with your home console. That's pretty magical and revolutionary IMHO.
The features they describe makes it sound like xbox live facebook.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2010, 01:57 PM

Yeah, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 02:37 PM

I doubt many users will take advantage of this. How many people are going to play Halo Reach on their phone? What other things can you do with xbox live and a win7 phone that you can't already do with an iPhone and the Friendz app?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2010, 10:21 AM

An inconvenient truth: game prices have come down with time
"Yes, some N64 games retailed for as high as $80, but it was also the high end of a 60 to 80 dollar range," he told Ars. "Retailers had more flexibility with pricing back then—though they've consistently maintained that the Suggested Retail Price was/is just a guide. Adjusted for inflation, we're generally paying less now than we have historically. But to be fair, DLC isn't factored in." He also points out all the different ways that we can now access games: you can buy a game used, rent a game, or play certain online games for free. There are multiple ways to sell your old console games, and the competition in the market causes prices to fall quickly.

It goes back further than N64 generation, however. You can find scans of Sears catalogs that put the price of NES games around $30 to $50 each. At current prices that's $50 to $80. This was in 1990, well into the system's life.
This has to be one of the worst articles I've read on ars. The author cherry picks his examples in an attempt to prove his point.

EB & Sears? Anyone with brains didn't shop there as those were two of the most expensive places to go. The N64? I think that's widely regarded as having the most expensive games of all time, owing either to Nintendo's greed or their stubbornness regarding the cartridge format. Conspicuously absent is its contemporary, the original PlayStation, that was offering $40 games all the way up to 2000.

Not to mention thanks to the 2000s stagnant economy, PS2/XBOX/GameCube games likely stand-up to the test of time on pricing as well.

Awful.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2010, 11:01 AM

The N64? I think that's widely regarded as having the most expensive games of all time
Hands down, Neo-Geo has that title. Games started at $200 a pop.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Hands down, Neo-Geo has that title. Games started at $200 a pop.
I stand corrected, but it wasn't exactly mainstream.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2010, 01:11 PM

This has to be one of the worst articles I've read on ars. The author cherry picks his examples in an attempt to prove his point.
The examples he chose didn't even prove his point.

"He also points out all the different ways that we can now access games: you can buy a game used, rent a game, or play certain online games for free. There are multiple ways to sell your old console games, and the competition in the market causes prices to fall quickly."

All of those examples existed before the N64 era. Before GameStop and Funcoland we had a local video game store called Game Center. I remember the my brother KCros selling our old SNES games and console for credit towards the PS1. We could even play N64 games before they were released in the states. They had a semi-arcade inside the store. with every console hooked up to large screen TVs. You could buy 20 minute blocks with any game of your choice. The first time I played Mario 64 was on a Japanese imported N64.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2010, 01:12 PM

I seem to recall used PS1 games going for $10 - $20 before the PS2 was out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2010, 01:29 PM

Halo Creators Tease MMO As Their Next Big Thing
Speaking at Game Developers Conference Online 2010, creative director Joe Staten hinted that Bungie's next project could feature "a world that was always there for you." Does Bungie have a shooter MMO up its sleeve?
This makes sense for one overwhelming reason: They're working for Activision.

Hopefully it'll be as unfun as Halo, as I won't feel compelled to play.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2010, 10:42 PM

Before GameStop and Funcoland we had a local video game store called Game Center. I remember the my brother KCros selling our old SNES games and console for credit towards the PS1. We could even play N64 games before they were released in the states. They had a semi-arcade inside the store. with every console hooked up to large screen TVs. You could buy 20 minute blocks with any game of your choice. The first time I played Mario 64 was on a Japanese imported N64.
Holy crap, I can't believe I forgot about Hi-Tech Game Centre! Those were the days. That was the only way I played the Neo Geo. Pay $2 for 20 min.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2010, 11:05 PM

Halo Creators Tease MMO As Their Next Big Thing

This makes sense for one overwhelming reason: They're working for Activision.

Hopefully it'll be as unfun as Halo, as I won't feel compelled to play.
I'm really getting sick of this MMO crap. Elder Scrolls V is supposedly an MMO. I don't want to pay a monthly fee to game.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2010, 11:12 PM

I doubt many users will take advantage of this. How many people are going to play Halo Reach on their phone? What other things can you do with xbox live and a win7 phone that you can't already do with an iPhone and the Friendz app?
Halo Reach isn't an arcade game.

Does Friendz let me pick up an arcade game (say, Limbo) that I've been playing on my home console and continue where I left off while I'm using my mobile? No. I don't understand why you guys think that's not a big deal at all. Imagine if on my Mac I could close down Peggle and pick up right where I left off on an iPhone.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I'm really getting sick of this MMO crap. Elder Scrolls V is supposedly an MMO. I don't want to pay a monthly fee to game.
Tell me about it. I will NOT pay monthly to play games. That's a line I will never cross.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Well it depends on what it offers. I don't see how this works in the FPS realm. Assuming its not open world (which brings a myriad of questions), I think I'd require a new map added each month as value to justify the price.

Knowing Activision, if bungie just adds online stuff like what is given for free with Halo, they'll tout that as value for the monthly fee.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2010, 10:34 AM

Halo Reach isn't an arcade game.

Does Friendz let me pick up an arcade game (say, Limbo) that I've been playing on my home console and continue where I left off while I'm using my mobile? No. I don't understand why you guys think that's not a big deal at all.
Because I don't play arcade. And what you're talking about was not mentioned in the article I posted.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2010, 10:45 AM

Gears of War 3 gains multiplayer beta in 2011 'featuring dedicated servers' | Joystiq
"We plan to host a public multiplayer beta for Gears of War 3 in 2011 featuring dedicated servers."
I'm too cynical to believe those dedicated servers will remain upon release. But if they do, that's a HUGE step in the right direction. There netcode was never going to be good enough for P2P.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2010, 07:29 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2010, 07:32 AM

The PS3's backwards compatibility with PS2 games has essentially become a non-issue. I just ordered the God Of War Collection, and am looking forward to the Ico and Shadow Of The Colossus collection(hopefully they won't screw it up like requiring Move,etc). And GT5 is out next month....

While i'm sure there are tones of other great titles on the PS2 out there, the only one missing from my wish list is Okami.....

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
The PS3's backwards compatibility with PS2 games has essentially become a non-issue. I just ordered the God Of War Collection, and am looking forward to the Ico and Shadow Of The Colossus collection(hopefully they won't screw it up like requiring Move,etc). And GT5 is out next month....

While i'm sure there are tones of other great titles on the PS2 out there, the only one missing from my wish list is Okami.....
Speaking of which, anyone want to buy a 60gb PS3 with full backwards compatibility?

Shoulda sold that damn thing a year ago...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2010, 11:10 AM

Monday News

Konami's classic X-Men arcade game coming to PSN and XBLA | Joystiq
I'll probably buy this as long as they don't eye-gouge. This game was the entire reason I did this project

Microsoft outlines changes and improvements coming in dashboard update | Joystiq
  • Improved voice quality -- the audio codec is being updated to improve Xbox LIVE Party chat audio quality. So grab your friends and jump into a multiplayer game, catch a big sports event, watch a movie or do all three.
    Improved experience for changing your Gamertag -- choosing a new Gamertag? If the Gamertag you're looking for is already taken, your Avatar will spin a wheel and we will provide five other Gamertag suggestions at a time for you to choose from.

Streamlined in-dashboard virtual keyboard -- we've taken the existing QWERTY keyboard in-dash and made it easier to use for scenarios that involve repeated text entry, for example when signing up for LIVE within the dashboard.

Improved Xbox LIVE Marketplace UI and browse experience -- the Games Marketplace has been re-organized to provide streamlined access to the games and content you want, reducing the number of steps it takes to get to a download.

Avatar changes -- we've made your Avatars slightly more proportional so you can better play Kinect games

Easier to get on a wireless network -- trying to connect to a wireless network? With the next update, you'll see a list of all the wireless networks within range when you go into network settings. From there, you'll be able to select a new network or further configure the network you're connected to.

Ability to sign-out other controllers in the sign-in UI -- we're adding the ability to sign-out profiles on other controllers in the sign-in UI within the Guide. This is especially useful when playing games like Rock Band.

New browse experience for 100% completed games -- you spent a lot of time and effort earning those Achievements, so instead of only being able to view your first dozen completed games, we're giving you a new and better way to browse all of them.

NBA Jam, NBA Elite, And A Tale Of Two Videos
BigBall12, however, thinks there is hope for EA Sports this year: NBA Jam. Originally paired as a free download with NBA Elite, it's going to be broken out as a separate title. Astonishingly, BigBall12 discovered his download code worked...

...for something originally billed as a free game lacking the Wii's "Remix Tour" mode, which supplies mini-games and boss battles. BigBall12 says the PS3 and 360 versions will in fact get that content. "Remix Tour is in this game, but it's locked DLC," he said. "There's an item on the main screen, ‘Purchase New Content,' and on loading screens, it'll say ‘Want more NBA Jam action? Make sure to download the Remix pack, coming to you soon.'"

The game's creative director said recently that they're "trying to throw it all in there," for the 360 and PS3. BigBall12 wonders why that has to sound like it's hard to do. A beta of NBA Jam was leaked last month along with a very small file that appeared to be an unlock key for DLC already on the disc (in this case, NBA Elite's). "First they're forcing you to pay for a 15 kilobyte file; now they're going to put it in the game and make it seem like they added it," BigBall12 said. "It's a travesty."
The business practices of the largest publishers are really starting to disgust me. It's not about the money. It's about the bold-face lies.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2010, 02:18 PM

The business practices of the largest publishers are really starting to disgust me. It's not about the money. It's about the bold-face lies.
Welcome to the new generation of gaming, get used to it. I can callout several companies on doing this type of thing.

They made a buggy game, and didn't test it, and got called out on it. Now damage control has them trying to make it up by screwing over the customer. Karma is a bitch. Maybe they should have bought the NBA license for 10 years instead of the NFL license, then they would be in better shape.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2010, 02:24 PM

Welcome to the new generation of gaming, get used to it. I can callout several companies on doing this type of thing.
I forgot to mention that this is one of the "gifts" of gaming being mainstream now.

They made a buggy game, and didn't test it, and got called out on it. Now damage control has them trying to make it up by screwing over the customer. Karma is a bitch. Maybe they should have bought the NBA license for 10 years instead of the NFL license, then they would be in better shape.
I think the issue is you can't create a new game from scratch in a year anymore. It's not about testing, it's about realistic expectations. Realistically, they should have released Live for one more year while this was being worked on.

Or you, know, try and engage in a price war like 2k did to them back in 05.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2010, 12:56 AM

My brother who works for 2K sports says that EA isn't even going to release Elite this year due to the ridiculous amount of bugs in the game (see: Black Jesus). With the incredible reviews that NBA 2K11 is getting, there's no way EA's going to release it later in the year.

Watch that 30 sec video. Pretty hilarious.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2010, 01:25 AM

I forgot to mention that this is one of the "gifts" of gaming being mainstream now.
I can agree with that

I think the issue is you can't create a new game from scratch in a year anymore. It's not about testing, it's about realistic expectations. Realistically, they should have released Live for one more year while this was being worked on.

Or you, know, try and engage in a price war like 2k did to them back in 05.
I understand that, this is when publishers need to refer ID and Blizzard release dates. (WHEN IT'S DONE). Get the damn thing right then you avoid the NBA Elite, syndrome or patching your game 4 - 5 times. Or even having patches out on release day.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2010, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
My brother who works for 2K sports says that EA isn't even going to release Elite this year due to the ridiculous amount of bugs in the game (see: Black Jesus). With the incredible reviews that NBA 2K11 is getting, there's no way EA's going to release it later in the year.

Watch that 30 sec video. Pretty hilarious.
Yup and this is why they are trying to 'replace' it with making NBA Jam for the 360/PS3 have enough content to charge $60.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 12, 2010, 01:36 PM

NPD Group limits game sales information to the press
Here are the details on what will change:

•Removal of monthly hardware unit sales figures
•A shift in the Top 10 software from sku level with unit sales for the Top 5, to Top 10 software at the title level with no unit sales
•Revised footnote explaining that the monthly retail data reflects new physical purchases, not total consumer spend (digital, subscriptions, mobile games, rentals, used or social network games). The NPD Group will release a total consumer spend report to press on a quarterly basis
•Monthly analysis from NPD industry analyst, Anita Frazier, will include software sales figures at both the sku and title level for various new releases
How will have flame wars now?

But seriously, this hugely disappointing. I'm sick of everything being shrouded in secrecy because there's a chance the numbers might be unfavorable.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2010, 02:14 PM

I can agree with that

I understand that, this is when publishers need to refer ID and Blizzard release dates. (WHEN IT'S DONE). Get the damn thing right then you avoid the NBA Elite, syndrome or patching your game 4 - 5 times. Or even having patches out on release day.
Yeah, I've always found release-day patches hilarious. I was glad to hear they delayed LBP2 for that reason.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2010, 11:22 PM

NPD Group limits game sales information to the press

How will have flame wars now?

But seriously, this hugely disappointing. I'm sick of everything being shrouded in secrecy because there's a chance the numbers might be unfavorable.
WTF is their reasoning for limiting the data to the public? Pretty damn lame if you ask me.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2010, 10:55 AM

PlayStation Blog : The official PlayStation Blog for news updates on PlayStation Network, PlayStation 3, PSP and PSPgo

We can confirm that Gran Turismo 5 will not be available this November 2nd, but the game’s release will be coming this holiday season.
We sincerely apologize to GT fans for the delay, however, creator Kazunori Yamauchi and the team at Polyphony Digital want to make certain they are creating the perfect racing experience, and we are confident that this ambitious game will exceed expectations when it launches.
We’ll have more information for you in the near future.
Just a little bit longer Rev. #5683057b

Its gone from a date back to a period of time now though. 'Holiday Season' is American for Christmas isn't it?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 13, 2010, 10:55 AM

Gran Turismo 5 Delayed, Now Coming This "Holiday Season"
Sony confirmed this morning that the game will not be available Nov. 2.
Hahahaha hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Forum Links
Forum Rules