Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 181)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2010, 04:30 PM

I'm of the opinion that if people were willing to wait for movies to come to DVD before watching them, they'll be willing to wait for TV series to come to Netflix. Especially as Netflix's online catalog grows. A lot of people enjoy watching TV seasons en masse, too.

Edit: I still don't understand, why can't the networks negotiate with advertisers to put their ads on the internet too? I find it hard to believe that an integrated Hulu+ app with full on commercials (but no fee) would fail. I don't love commercial free enough to torrent shows, that's for sure.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2010, 10:02 AM

Friday News

The First Moron To Break His TV With Kinect
"A public service announcement: Do not under any circumstances play Kinect Sports Volleyball at 1:30 a.m. while standing under a ceiling fan with a dangling chain for a light switch," he writes.

The result was that Phil apparently spiked the dangling chain into his 47-inch 1080p LCD HDTV, leaving it with a rainbow LCD teardrop of death.
A Budweiser Man of Real Genius.

1 vs. 100-style poker coming to Xbox Live - Destructoid.com
I fold.

Microsoft: Kinect and controller hybrid games coming - Destructoid.com
ccording to Microsoft's Alex Kipman, controller/Kinect hybrid titles are definitely in the works.

"We'll continue to have controller-only games," he tells Games Industry, "We love controller-free games, we love Kinect experiences, and we'll continue to grow our set of those as well. What we haven't really talked about, but exist, are hybrid games."

Which Part Of Japan Is Bonkers For Xbox 360?
According to website Rocket News 24, on the Japanese internet Wii fans are referred to as "ninshin" ("pregnant"), Sony fans are called "GK" ("gatekeeper") and Xbox 360 fans are called "chikan" ("molester").

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2010, 10:28 AM

Still waiting for GT5 to be released? Well GT6 is in development, but it's "too early" to talk about.

Yamauchi told Autoweek (via The Sixth Axis) during this week’s 2010 SEMA trade-show in Las Vegas that while development on Gran Turismo 6 is in fact underway, “It’s not something that we can talk lightly on. It took 2,000 days to get all the ideas that went into GT5. It’s just too early to be talking about GT6.”
Gran Turismo 6 In Development, "Too Early" To Talk About - G4tv.com

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks, I forgot to post that the other day.

Really illustrates the ridiculousness of the industry.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2010, 01:14 AM

And now, the Kinect seems to be ready to make me eat my words:

Kinect Reportedly Selling Out Around the Country

Kinect went on sale in North America just a few days ago, and so far it's been a pretty great week for the motion-sensing camera: Not only is it not racist, but reports are flooding in from major retailers -- including Best Buy, Target, Amazon, and GameStop -- that it's selling out across the country, indicating big holiday sales for Microsoft on the horizon.

"We've seen a tremendous amount of excitement and demand for [Kinect] and saw lines at our midnight openings around the country," said Best Buy's Chris Homeister to USA Today. "We are currently sold out online, but we continue to work with Microsoft to obtain product shipments now and throughout the holiday season."

Target says it's similarly sold out of Kinects on its online store, both the individual units as well as the bundles with Xbox 360 consoles. Amazon.com and GameStop both say they've sold out of individual Kinects online, but still have some console bundles in stock. Walmart, meanwhile, says its stores still had some Kinects in stock, but anticipated that "there is going to be very high demand for these products," according to Walmart's Ravi Jarawala.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2010, 06:30 PM

Dude, Oprah.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 05:06 AM

I'll never forget BBC for this:

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 10:56 AM

Or Sigourney Weaver.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 11:17 AM

Monday News

Jawbone mentions kinect's sales. It's worth noting that I can't recall seeing any Move commercials, but I've seen a ton for Kinect everywhere.

There's Now A Shooter To Teach People How To Play Shooters
There's of course a catch: while it'll be free to play, the game's creators will be charging for various tweaks and upgrades. Some of the possibilities raised include charging to "skin" the game to both feel (eg player movement speed) and appear more like a specific title (eg Halo, Modern Warfare).
I would have aimed this at someone in particular, but I couldn't decide who to pick on.

Armed Robbers Snatch 100 Copies Of Black Ops In GameStop Heist

Once again kotaku's img is win.

Review: GoldenEye 007
There's a reason the game comes bundled with a Wii Classic Controller. First-person shooters on a console should be played with twin analog controls, the way God intended. GoldenEye is not a rails shooter (nor should it be) like Dead Space: Extraction, Eurocom's last project. The Remote/Nunchuk and Zapper configurations are tune-able but just not recommended, and I gave up on them rather quickly. They're not at all ergonomic for fast-twitch tasks like reloading, melee or grenades. On later levels, and in multiplayer, they're certainly not advantageous and I can't fathom how they're even useful.
If this didn't have the Bond name - if it didn't have the GoldenEye name - one might find it bland among modern shooters, though it's best-in-class on the Wii (admittedly a small population). But the structure of current-gen shooters, especially those with a narrative, is very judgmental: Do this right, and do it right the first time. For all of its modern polish, GoldenEye 007 still harkens back to the wild west days of FPSes, before they demanded or even established fundamental skills, instead inviting you to do it over and over again and discover what's right through repetition. GoldenEye 007 invokes a strong sense of nostalgia just as much in the game as it does in the name.

Yes, you can beat Fallout: New Vegas without killing anyone | Joystiq
This might deserve to be its own thread. Euthyphro and I were having some discussions about Fable III and how you basically have to outright forfeit missions to maintain an good or evil alignment (Though arguably, thanks to Lionhead's simplistic view of morality). This article illustrates game design done right. (This also reminds me of HItman, where every mission it was possible to finish without being detected, usually by only killing the target)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 11:48 AM

Brilliant.

Also, I've seen maybe three Move commercials out in the wild, but it's the Kevin Butler "I'm playing Move with a family" commercials, which seem less about Move and more about Kevin Butler. The way the ad plays out, it seems like they assume you already know about the Move, while Kinect commercials seem to tell you all about it and let you know how revolutionary it is. I've seen tons of Kinect ads, too, but MSoft did pour $500 million into it, so I'd expect to.

Yeah, Goldeneye looks completely irrelevant.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2010, 12:29 PM

I haven't seen a single Kinect commercial. But I have seen Move commercials.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2010, 02:32 PM

I saw a couple of Burger King and Best Buy commercials pimping the Kinect yesterday. There was also an ad for that stupid Dance game.

I did come across this awesome TV ad for Black Ops that featured Kobi Bryant, Jimmy Kimmel and bunch of other folks.

YouTube - Call of Duty: Black Ops TV Commercial: "There's A Soldier In All Of Us"

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yes, you can beat Fallout: New Vegas without killing anyone | Joystiq
This might deserve to be its own thread. Euthyphro and I were having some discussions about Fable III and how you basically have to outright forfeit missions to maintain an good or evil alignment (Though arguably, thanks to Lionhead's simplistic view of morality). This article illustrates game design done right. (This also reminds me of HItman, where every mission it was possible to finish without being detected, usually by only killing the target)
Fallout 2 was very similar in this fashion, and there is a reason I called New Vegas a superior game to Fallout 3. I like any game that gives you multiple routes to completing an objective, and no game has a more varied approach than Vegas.

I started one quest by the usual bloodthirsty rampage but it kept ending in a near impossible fire-fight. A little sneaking and some speech checks later and I had completed the quest without firing a shot. Usually, if you can come to these more clever resolutions the swag ends up being better too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 03:13 PM

For Some Reason, Sony Believes Now Is The Time To Hype Move
The infographic uses up a lot of real estate discussing people interested in buying a PlayStation Move controller. Intending to buy and purchase intent weigh heavily, but those shipping numbers seem a trifle low. One million shipped in both North and Latin America since launch, and no concrete sales numbers? Taking into consideration the one million units shipped is the same number we got back on October 21, and I'm not sure I'm seeing the same momentum that Sony is.

Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft Are Finally Competing on Common Ground
It turns out that MotionPlus-supported Wii Sports Resort, the Move's Sports Champions and Kinect Sports all have a Table Tennis game. All three of these games were created internally and published by the console creators. It seemed like the best comparison.
After spending a week almost exclusively playing Kinect games I was surprised to find just how sharp the PS3's Sports Champions looked and how well it tracked my movements. The Wii's MotionPlus seemed to struggle with backhands and the subtlety of putting spin on a ball. Kinect Sports handled both of these well, but it still felt as if it was over-simplifying what I did.

The Move was almost too accurate, almost. Because I enjoy playing real table tennis, the high level of accuracy, the ability to put a shot on a specific place of the table with the sort of spin I wanted was a big plus for me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 03:53 PM

Looks like, in terms of accurate motion detection, that it's the Move FTW.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 03:56 PM

That's the way it was looking pre-release. Even if MS adds a form of input, I'll be curious how it will be better than just a Move.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 04:08 PM

I forgot to mention I tried out ESPN3 Friday night. It's strange, the stream seems to be in a constant flux netween three bars and HD, and I'm certain it's not anything on my side. Perhaps they not quite ready for the demand they're getting? On the plus side, unlike Netflix picture quality changeover is seamless.

The HD is quite acceptable on 50". Little artifacting. Three bars is a little rougher, but still beats my SD cable. In the bedroom on my 32" LCD, three bars looks very good and blows cable out of the water.

The only strange thing is the commercial breaks. If you're using your laptop or something it's only slightly eerie when it goes to the placard. However at 1 am when I was just lying in bed, its very weird to just have a static silent screen to stare at. Its an odd endorsement of commercials. (I'd love a generic feed of the court with stats, but whatever)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 05:10 PM

I think the three bar/HD problem has been around since it was known as ESPN 360. It's always done that, whether live or archived.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 05:11 PM

Yes, it does that for me, but it's a billion times better than my cable box.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2010, 05:13 PM

I was working of live and near-live. I'll probably give another mini-review once I try something archived.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2010, 11:24 AM

Xbox Indie Games Return To A Place You Can Actually See Them
No more sitting in the back of the bus.

---

Haven't seen Bogues around, but Hot Pursuit is running with a $20 back on amazon. Just read a Destructoid review which was glowing, so I picked it up (Hilariously, for $40 because of Black Ops' credit. My 360 shelf has grown a lot this year thanks to amazon...)

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2010, 12:09 PM

Dude, Oprah.
I really think now that if Oprah really wanted to, she could convince some idiots that eating shit is healthy for you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2010, 12:11 PM

I honestly don't see the appeal, but I'd love to see the demographic breakdown. I feel like it must be 90% women, and 50% of those between 30-50.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 9, 2010, 12:31 PM

Haven't seen Bogues around, but Hot Pursuit is running with a $20 back on amazon. Just read a Destructoid review which was glowing, so I picked it up (Hilariously, for $40 because of Black Ops' credit. My 360 shelf has grown a lot this year thanks to amazon...)
I saw this, I'm still on the fence, I have not got a chance to check some reviews, but from what your saying I should just throw it in the cart and enjoy the $20

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2010, 12:35 PM

I look at it this way. It'll probably be a while til hits $40, and then you'll only be breaking even.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 9, 2010, 12:39 PM

Well I was thinking of getting my brother new Vegas and Alan wake for christmas , which with this and blackops, I'd be $40 ahead, consider it purchased

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2010, 12:45 PM

Cha-ching!

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 9, 2010, 12:51 PM

I hate Love Amazon

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2010, 12:57 PM

At this rate, RDR's DLC will be on a disc for me to buy before the original hits my 360.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2010, 03:52 PM

The Evolution Of The First-Person Shooter, In One Shot

Not sure how much I buy this image, but it does seem more fair than unfair. I also understand why the evolution has occurred to some degree. You could get lost on some levels in GoldenEye or PerfectDark, but in games like Halo and Call of Duty, they're so linear that it loses some of its reality, and limits/punishes you from exploring.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2010, 04:25 PM

Most FPSes are more like interactive movies now than real explorable games. I don't dislike that, per se, but when a game comes out that touts itself as full of choices and whatnot (like BioShock) but ends up being a game of 'follow the cursor to where you need to go' it kind of irks me.

Metro 2033 is about as linear as it gets, spattered with lots of cutscenes. The game embraces this ideal though, and the shooting becomes as enthralling and interesting as watching the story unfold.

Rainbow Six: Vegas was more or less very linear, but every encounter with a room of baddies usually had multiple avenues to pursue. So while the overall game lead you around by the hand, each individual set battle was fairly open ended.

I can only assume the map on the left is from Doom, it has to be. That game was heavy on the keycard hunting, secret door finding, teleporter to god-knows-where type of game and that was cool, but it made up for the fact the shooting lacked any sort of control. In modern games you need to look up and down and around very cluttered and confusing backdrops. In Doom the enemies were hilariously easy to spot, and you had the benefit of being the fastest man alive.

It's an evolution of more and more and more being added to modern games that actually make them far less difficult than most 2D games on the SNES. Moving around a 3D environment and keeping your bearings is the hard part now, not the actual gameplay.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2010, 04:41 PM

There's benefits to each one. With DOOM, you could end up wandering in circles not knowing where to go because you missed a dark corner that leads to a corridor, or forgot that you passed a locked door earlier (Also, keycard: Not the most fun of FPS tropes).

Then there's Halo. Every so many minutes you drop down from an unclimable ledge. Its so transparent it hurts. Of course, I remember in GoldenEye working my way through the Facility and at one fork there was a dead-end and the other continued to your goal. That could be frustrating in the sense that more irritable people might find that added dead-end a big fat waste of time.

You're right about difficulty, though I think the early days difficulty = value, whereas today length = value, and I'd consider 80s difficulty and today's game length are both extremes.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2010, 06:29 PM

I was going to post that image. I loved the old DOOM setup. I wish someone would make a game like that today.

In DOOM, a 15 year old game, you might open a door and be faced with 100 bad guys. These days you are lucky to be fighting 10-15 at a time.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2010, 06:33 PM

I guess you never played Left 4 Dead.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2010, 06:52 PM

Not much. But you are right... there are games out there with more baddies. Halo has some pretty large combat fields as well...

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2010, 06:53 PM

Painkiller (PC) is a very Doom-esque game. Lots and lots and lots of baddies, but without key quests or backtracking. Just pure, unadulterated slaughter for hours on end. Good game, and runs on older hardware very nicely.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2010, 07:18 PM

I'll probably end up getting Hot Pursuit as well, not sure if I'll get it on release day, but I found the demo quite entertaining. Criterion knows how to make a good racer.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Halo has some pretty large combat fields as well...
Yeah, but they're more empty than my soul.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2010, 10:59 AM

Iwata says 3DS will beat 3DTVs to mass market | Joystiq
He told the company's investors recently that "people in Hollywood currently do not believe that 3D television sets will be able to spread into ordinary households with rapid speed. I have the impression that they see Nintendo 3DS as a strong candidate to become the very first 3D device to be able to spread into the mass market in massive volumes."
Something a tenth of the price and doesn't have to be worry about viewing angles for more than one person? You don't say.

Miyamoto's favorite Mario game is Super Mario World- Destructoid
Agreed.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit review: More than satisfies the need | Joystiq
The marquee element is allowing players to blaze through an entire career as a cop or a racer. Whichever you choose -- and you can, at any time, take part in a racer event, even if you're dozens of missions into the cop "path," for example -- expect a different, but equally thrilling experience. In one instance, you need to focus on avoiding traffic, threading a needle through gaps in roadblocks and generally driving as fast as possible; in the other, you're trying to ram racers until they crash and just generally being more aggressive.
Click through the gallery if you can. Assuming those aren't touched up, that's some of the better graphics I've seen from something not named GT5 this gen.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2010, 01:09 PM

I'm not seeing the $20 credit for purchasing NFS Hot Pursuit on Amazon. Can you guys point me in the right direction? Dakar, Bogues, do you have to have some sort of membership?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2010, 01:11 PM

You get it after you're charged for it, aka after it ships.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2010, 01:15 PM

Oh right, I see it now. Thanks buddy!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2010, 01:30 PM

Yeah, but they're more empty than my soul.
Liar. You have no soul.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2010, 01:33 PM

Super Mario World was great (my second favorite Mario game) but it pales in comparison to Mario 64. The game was the most innovative of the franchise.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2010, 01:36 PM

I see Super Mario World as the perfection of the 2D side scroller. Mario 64 was a rougher entry.

It's like the old Link to the Past v Ocarina of Time argument, only I'm on the opposite side this time.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2010, 01:40 PM

Next Call of Duty game to be set in the future?

Industry sources say Sledgehammer's Call of Duty will be set in the future and feature, for lack of a better term, space Marines, a very big step for a franchise that has historically based itself on realism.

This speculation lends credence to the recent website registrations by Activision, which included "Future Warfare," "Advanced Warfare," "Secret Warfare," and "Space Warfare."
Interesting. It's supposed to come out next year. I never heard of Sledgehammer games. Looks like they were just founded last year.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2010, 01:43 PM

No plans for a new X-Box in the near future

We've no plans for another Xbox. You'll continue to see us bring amazing new experiences to the console, without you having to buy a brand new console. A couple of years ago we didn't have movies, Sky, Facebook and Twitter - now we've got things like Kinect.

We'll continue to evolve those gaming and entertainment experiences through the power of software updates, rather than new chipsets and plastic.
Nice to see that the console lifespan is growing. Things like Kinect and online services will definitely give the system a higher life expectancy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Next Call of Duty game to be set in the future?

Interesting. It's supposed to come out next year. I never heard of Sledgehammer games. Looks like they were just founded last year.
I'm guessing this is possible because Infinity Ward was (allegedly) in breach of contract this Spring? Because they have all right to modern and near or far future settings.

Either way, I'm expecting this franchise has entered it's Guitar Hero decline.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Space marines? They may as well just call it Halo Warfare.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2010, 02:02 PM

I hope it has Moonraker Lasers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules