Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 183)
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2010, 11:14 AM

Or a free ride when you're already late.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 12:06 PM

Good advice that you just didn't take?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2010, 01:45 PM

So, did MS just completely stop selling stand alone batteries for their controllers? The only ones available on Amazon are heavily discounted blue and pink ones, which is telling.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2010, 02:16 PM

That may explain why I had problems find a black rechargable battery at any of the local stores. I ended up buying a black battery with a recharge-while-you-play cable, which costed me extra. I know I won't use the cable as it just makes your controller a wired controller.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2010, 02:18 PM

I've kinda suspected for months, but I guess they're trying ot screw everyone into getting the recharge bundle.

Their battery page: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...vDLI1TtvztYA8g

Cached: Xbox.com | Catalog - Xbox 360™ Rechargeable Battery Pack

Edit: Found the new page. These guys are royal assholes.
Accessories - Batteries charge me up! - Xbox.com

I'm a little disappointed the gaming sites haven't picked up on this after banging on MS about their HD and Wifi prices.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2010, 02:17 AM

Check out the all time XBLA sales figures...

Wow! People sure do like UNO. WTF!

Here are October release sales...

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2010, 02:21 AM

Here a list of XBLA DLC and games discounted on Friday...

Game Add-ons

Splinter Cell: Conviction - "Deniable Ops Insurgency" 400 MSP
Rock Band series - "Lady Gaga Pack 01" 280 MSP
Rock Band series - "Nirvana Pack 01" 640 MSP
Rock Band series - "Nirvana Pack 02" 240 MSP
Alan Wake - "The Signal" 320 MSP
Trials HD - "The Big Pack" 240 MSP

Arcade Games

The Secret of Monkey Island: SE 400 MSP
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge 400MSP
Puzzle Quest 2 800 MSP
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter 600 MSP
Zombie Apocalypse 400 MSP
Portal: Still Alive 400 MSP
Voodoo Dice 400 MSP
Mega Man 10 400 MSP
Magic: The Gathering 400 MSP
Madden NFL Arcade 400 MSP

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2010, 11:46 AM

Wednesday News: GT5 Edition

Posting the first one I saw:
Gran Turismo 5 review: Driven by perfection | Joystiq
Which brings me back to that white gloves analogy: GT5 never looks anything but pristine but, as has become an unusual staple of the series, the lighting model tends more towards "the sun is everywhere" than realistic. The whole thing basically looks like a car commercial, and sometimes it felt like I was playing one.

Here's the deal: If you're one of those car nuts I mentioned earlier, here's your game. Have fun, we'll see you in a year when you finally leave the house. If you're not in that group -- you like, even love racing games, but care less about tuning and more about the thrill of the race -- GT5 is like walking in on a group of physicists discussing string theory and asking who wants to go toss around a ball for a bit. You're looking to have fun; they're only interested in studying the math behind how it bounces.

This Gran Turismo 5 Dog Finishes In Last Place

Yikes.

Which Ones Are Photos And Which Ones Are Gran Turismo 5?
Pretty easy to do so long as you don't try to be clever and go off the cuff.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2010, 02:29 AM

I you liked Pac-Man: CE, then go buy DX right now. It's a much deeper game, and being chased by three dozen ghosts is absolutely hectic.

Amazon's deals caused me to go on a shopping spree after eating with the family today. Picked up Dead Rising (several years late) for $10, Demon's Souls for $20, new 360 controller, and three extra HDMI cables for $0.32 a piece.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2010, 01:10 PM

If Microsoft pulls this off, I'll bow down at their feet.

Microsoft in talks to start new TV service using the 360?

Microsoft's been strangely quiet during the recent smart TV explosion even though it has arguably the most mature set of products in Windows Media Center and Mediaroom, and now we know why: Reuters says MS has been meeting with media companies in an effort to create an entirely new TV service possibly delivered through the Xbox 360. Apparently there are multiple options on the table, ranging from a full-on "virtual cable operator" with monthly fees to using the 360 as an extension of existing cableco online TV initiatives to simply delivering certain channels like ESPN and HBO a la carte, and Reuters' sources say the plan might take another 12 months to develop. That sounds like a bit too long, if you ask us: Apple and Google are waging a major living room assault, and we can't imagine Microsoft is willing to miss another technology cycle -- especially not one where it holds the significant advantage of the 360's installed base and proven history as an IPTV device on multiple operators worldwide, including Uverse. We'll see what happens -- it sounds like the battle might finally be joined.
Who hasn't wanted cable channels a la carte for years?

All I need:
- Network channels (barely)
- Comedy Central
- Fox News
- CNN
- History Channel
- Animal Planet
- Discovery Channel
- ESPN/2/Classic/U
- TBS (for Conan)
- HGTV (for the wife)
- TNT

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2010, 01:13 PM

I dunno. My internet connection would post the greatest image quality, plus multi-tasking on my comp would be discouraged as it would constantly screw with it too.

Plus, I'm not fond of a scenario where when my internet is out my cable is out too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2010, 01:48 PM

Gamasutra - News - First Gran Turismo 5 Patch Aims To Fix 'Critical State' Of Online Mode
However, it's precisely the size of this community of players that has been causing the game problems following its launch earlier this week. "Yesterday the online service was kind of in a critical state," Yamauchi said. "The data center was set up to handle 500,000 connections but the number of connections we received greatly exceeded that amount and there was a high chance of experiencing problems as a result."
*facepalm*

I don't even understand this level of retardation.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I dunno. My internet connection would post the greatest image quality, plus multi-tasking on my comp would be discouraged as it would constantly screw with it too.

Plus, I'm not fond of a scenario where when my internet is out my cable is out too.
Considering my ISP is my Cable provider, that's how it is already, except in reverse! And that's how it is for millions of people.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2010, 02:44 PM

Saw that coming a mile away.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2010, 04:37 PM

Not too fond of my console being my TV hub as well for other reasons.

1) You'd now have to have more than one console in each room. $300 per room is a hell of a hit.

2) Say someone wants to watch TV and you want to game? You can't take your console and move to another TV in another room.

3) Online gaming while streaming HD on the same connection. You are going to hit those cap limits REALLY fast now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2010, 04:39 PM

Dude, you make a lot of solid points. I'll blame my not realizing 1 and 2 on my three hours of sleep.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Not too fond of my console being my TV hub as well for other reasons.

1) You'd now have to have more than one console in each room. $300 per room is a hell of a hit.

2) Say someone wants to watch TV and you want to game? You can't take your console and move to another TV in another room.

3) Online gaming while streaming HD on the same connection. You are going to hit those cap limits REALLY fast now.
Great points, but it's not like there won't be any option for cable either. For people like me who don't ever watch cable TV, this could be a good idea though. There are many shows that I do enjoy watching, but I just rely on Hulu or Netflix. For myself this could be a sweet deal. If you have have a low monthly data cap though, you're right. Luckily I've never come above 100 Gb of my 250 Gb cap.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2010, 05:20 PM

I'm lucky in that I don't have a cap with Suddenlink. Also, we can either game/Netflix or Netflix/Netflix (both in HD) in both rooms without taking a hit any longer.

I can see it being a massive problem for families with kids though.

I should mention that I've never had cable/satellite TV in my life for reasons that are a little tough to explain.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I should mention that I've never had cable/satellite TV in my life for reasons that are a little tough to explain.
Jesus interferes with the signal quality?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2010, 05:24 PM

I blame the Friday After Dark on Cinemax.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I blame the Friday After Dark on Cinemax.
Whats wrong with After Dark on Cinemax? They have some of the best anatomy learning programs out there.

harddrivedude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2010, 01:52 AM

I just bought myself a wii a couple of hours ago for some cyber monday discounts on amazon.

:3
On retrospect, black friday deals were way better.
"The best way out is always through." -Robert Frost
My squidoo Lens: External Hard Drives Review

Silent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2010, 07:57 AM

PlayStation®3 over here.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2010, 11:03 AM

Driver: San Fran dev Ubisoft Reflections suffers layoffs | Joystiq
Additionally, the source cited "delays with the project" as one of the reasons for the redundancies, suggesting that the studio's lack of experience with the current generation of consoles (this is its first current-gen game, after all) has become exceedingly costly. The source claimed Reflections has been "learning as we go along, developing our skills."
Driver has a strange dichotomy, personally. To me, the first game was GTA before GTA, yet every game since has been generally regarded as a disappointment (and I never cared enough to pick up since, you know, GTA was out there), so much so that I can't fathom how the series still exists.

And then there's the whole this generation has been around four years thing, and how the hell have they not managed a game in that time.

EA talks lessons learned from Dead Space, Mirror's Edge- Destructoid
"What I learned from Mirror’s Edge is that you have to execute, you have to spend more time on a game to ensure it’s polished, and you need to have the depth and persistence of an online game. There were issues with the learning curve, the difficulty, the narrative, and then there was no multiplayer either. The key learning from us was that if you’re going to be bold with that kind of concept, you need to take it as far as it can go in development."
If you read the rest of the article, you get a sense for that sentiment that keeps popping up consistently in the industry (ex. BioShock 2) – the game must have multiplayer.

Kinect's global sales reach 2.5 million with the help of Black Friday | Joystiq
Pointless somewhat rhetorical question that may simply display I just don't get it – If the XBOX had created the Move and Sony had made the Kinect, would the sales numbers look much different for each company? I say no.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2010, 12:18 PM

If you read the rest of the article, you get a sense for that sentiment that keeps popping up consistently in the industry (ex. BioShock 2) – the game must have multiplayer.
I was about to rant and rave about how devs should focus on making some single-player-only games and be satisfied with a lack of multiplayer, then I realized that one of my favorite games of this generation added multiplayer on top of one of the best single-player stories I've ever gone through, and I spent probably 250-300 hours online with it (Uncharted 2). That sentence was turrible.

There are some games it works for, but then there are some where it doesn't (RDR, BS/BS2). It's all about a developer using discretion: "Is our game a fit for multiplayer?"

Pointless somewhat rhetorical question that may simply display I just don't get it – If the XBOX had created the Move and Sony had made the Kinect, would the sales numbers look much different for each company? I say no.
I'd tend to agree. Microsoft's marketing of the Kinect has been incredibly effective. Sony's has been non-existent.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'd tend to agree. Microsoft's marketing of the Kinect has been incredibly effective. Sony's has been non-existent.
On the back of that...

How Many PlayStation Moves Has Sony Moved?
Today Sony reports that 4.1 million PlayStation Move units have been sold worldwide in the more than two months since launch, or a little under one for every ten PlayStation 3 systems (41.6 million according to the press release) sold since the console's launch in 2006.
Those are impressive numbers indeed, selling slightly slower than Microsoft's Kinect but definitely making a strong showing. It does bear noting, however, that those numbers take into account customers that purchased multiple Moves for one PlayStation 3, while only one Kinect is needed per Xbox 360.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2010, 12:28 PM

So the marketing, or lack thereof, is altering perception of surprisingly strong sales?

I'm not going to lie, even though I'd prefer to remain underwhelmed, if Killzone 3 and SOCOM 4 Move support is reviewed favorably, I might be giving it a try.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Nov 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2010, 12:40 PM

You're not the best control.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2010, 06:09 PM

Well, the big push has been to social and multiplayer gaming. Of course that'll keep cropping up. Not ALL games need it, though, and in some cases it feels like an afterthought, tacked on due to pressure from the publisher. And then there's Nintendo, who just doesn't get it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Well, the big push has been to social and multiplayer gaming. Of course that'll keep cropping up. Not ALL games need it, though, and in some cases it feels like an afterthought, tacked on due to pressure from the publisher. And then there's Nintendo, who just doesn't get it.
I feel like co-op is unfairly discounted. BioShock likely would have benefitted from that instead (not that I thought anything was necessary).

Still, I think Nintendo is victim of two problems: The age of Miyamoto, and likely Japanese cultural norms. I'd be interested to know what Japan's take on their online offerings is.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 11:05 AM

Yamauchi talks future Gran Turismo 5 updates, cut features | Joystiq
Yamauchi confirms that his team at Polyphony Digital is working to implement mechanical -- not just cosmetic -- damage in GT5 sometime in early December. Less time-consuming fixes include nixing the game's odd-looking "blocky" shadows, adding more online functionality (the lounge is mentioned) and possibly offering the option to disable the HUD overlay. Work to support Logitech's G25 and G27 racing wheels in still underway, he adds.

As for what we won't be seeing, it sounds like face-tracking in GT mode and YouTube uploading of replays are out due to memory constraints. We'll also never get a chance to experience the cut "free roam" mode, in which players would have been able to drive around the gameworld, obeying traffic laws and stopping to get out of their cars to explore on foot. We imagine this was referred to internally as the "We Need Another Year of Development Time" mode.
What the hell is face tracking? Sounds like something involving a webcam.

Christopher Nolan confirms Inception video game in development | Joystiq
*cringing*

From behind, late in the race: a racing fan reviews Gran Turismo 5
I'll be reposting this link in the GT5 thread with some commentary.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 11:39 AM

LIVE Activity for week of Nov 22 - Xbox Live's Major Nelson

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)

1 Call of Duty: Black Ops
2 Modern Warfare 2
3 Halo: Reach
4 FIFA Soccer 11
5 Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
6 Madden NFL 11
7 Halo 3
8 Fallout: New Vegas
9 NBA 2K11
10 Fable III

MW2 still eating Reach's lunch, but Halo 3 seems to have bounced back, while WaW and CoD4 have begun their death spiral.

Should be real interesting after xmas.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 01:46 PM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2010, 02:24 PM

Yes, there are rumors that Microsoft is going to get a game developer (343 Industries?) to continue the Halo franchise. Likely, once their done, it won't look or feel anything like Halo.
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 02:56 PM

Rumors? Wasn't 343 designated the carriers of the Halo torch long ago?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 02:58 PM

I don't think so. Weren't you the one lamenting that they hadn't remade one of the Halos?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 02:59 PM

Edited my post. It was confusing as worded.

I knew 343 was taking over the Halo franchise, but didn't think their primary project would be a remake of CE.

Not that I'm complaining...if they add achievements...and HD...and online support...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 03:00 PM

You can rest assured there will be achievements.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2010, 04:05 PM

Avatar awards, Achievements, and challenges... oh my...

this is starting to to sound like a Wizard of OZ song!

Back to the Halo rumor! The rumor I heard was that 343 was going to continue the Halo saga, continuing where Halo 3 left off, there was mention of Masterchief being woken up...
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 05:40 PM

So, looks like Sony was lying...

Sony spins the '4.1 million Move shipments' thing- Destructoid
Yesterday, many websites reported that Sony had sold 4.1 million PlayStation Move units. Destructoid and a handful of others reported that Sony had only shipped that many units. A few commenters accused us of BIAS but the egg was on their faces when Sony itself clarified the issue.

However, while shipping figures are far less impressive than sales figures, Sony is trying to spin it into a positive.

"While we don't disclose our exact sell-through number, the key is that our retailers continue to ask for more Move units and are taking every unit we can supply them with based on their sales," says Sony in its clarifying statement.
And by "don't" they mean won't because they've released sales figures before.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2010, 11:42 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by kcrosbie View Post
*yawn*

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2010, 11:22 AM

This is the only way I'd buy crap for my avatar - with free points. I wonder if I get 100 points if I already activated Netflix, though...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
This is the only way I'd buy crap for my avatar - with free points. I wonder if I get 100 points if I already activated Netflix, though...
The same thought crossed my mind since I'm sitting on 100 unusable points. As for Netflix, the answer is an obvious **** no.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2010, 12:00 PM

*yawn*
Stop staying up till 5 in the morning will ya?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 12:01 PM

derr hurr

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
From what I read, it's for the USA and the UK only. That's no good to me.
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
From what I read, it's for the USA and the UK only. That's no good to me.
Canadians get no love. They all need to stop being so polite and cause a ruckus.

Unrelated note: my Cyber Monday games have started coming in, including Dead Rising (years late...who cares?) and Demon's Souls. Part of the reason I have games (that I have yet to play) stockpiled is because of freakin' Amazon's deals.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 01:19 PM

Yeah, I'd stop buying games if they'd stop giving me free money. I actually have $50 sitting in reserve for the next game.

...and that doesn't include another $50 from the rewards card I have.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 01:26 PM

Alright, so MS has the rewards program, which I imagine only applies to people who buy directly through them (i.e., I'll be surprised if I get 200 msp for buying a 12 month card through Amazon). I would think this is to entice people to start stepping up to Gold. On that subject:

Half Of Xbox Live's Users Aren't Paying Subscribers
"Of our 25 million members, about half of them are subscribers to the business and pay us about $60 a year for that," Microsoft's Dennis Durkin said earlier today at the Credit Suisse Annual Technology Conference in Phoenix. "So it's a very large business for us and for our partners."

He's beating the revenue drum there, but surely Microsoft would be quietly disappointed that only half the console's online userbase is coughing up $60 a year for an Xbox Live Gold subscription when it's been marketed as one of the real cornerstones of the Xbox 360.

Interestingly, as important as those subscription fees would seem to Xbox Live's bottom line, they're actually not the service's big breadwinner. That honour instead goes to digital content, with combined sales of downloadable content, avatar gear and media bringing in more money for Microsoft than millions of people paying $60 a year.
That sounds pretty disappointing to me. But on the heels of Live no really paying the bills it makes me wonder again, why aren't they trying to entice people by lowering the price?

Maybe they will next year if the Family deal is a bust.

---

Australian Study Finds No "Conclusive" Evidence That Games Harm Kids
Suck it, old-fashioned prudes.

Judge in Xbox modding trial berates prosecution, halts trial
Opening statements in the first-of-its kind Xbox 360 criminal hacking trial were delayed here Wednesday after a federal judge unleashed a 30-minute tirade at prosecutors in open court, saying he had “serious concerns about the government’s case.”

“I really don’t understand what we’re doing here,” US District Judge Philip Gutierrez roared from the bench.

Gutierrez slammed the prosecution over everything from alleged unlawful behavior by government witnesses, to proposed jury instructions harmful to the defense.
Among the judge’s host of complaints against the government was his alarm that prosecutors would put on two witnesses who may have broken the law.

“Maybe two of the four government witnesses committed crimes,” the judge said from the bench. “I think it is relevant and the jury is going to hear about it—both crimes.”

The government had fought to keep the witness conduct a secret from the jury.
While the judge ruled last week that such a defense was not permitted by the DMCA, he seemingly changed course during his speech.

“The only way to be able to play copied games is to circumvent the technology,” Gutierrez said. “How about backup games and the homebrewed?”

Forum Links
Forum Rules