Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 184)
Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That sounds pretty disappointing to me. But on the heels of Live no really paying the bills it makes me wonder again, why aren't they trying to entice people by lowering the price?

Maybe they will next year if the Family deal is a bust.
I thought they were already doing this with all the "Renew Live for 25% Off" and "Renew/Buy Live for 50% Off" sales? There were several of these deals in the last few months.

I, myself took advantage of the 50% off sale to renew for another year.

Too bad my white Xbox 360 replacement didn't break down again before the 90-day warranty. I could have got another month free from that.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I thought they were already doing this with all the "Renew Live for 25% Off" and "Renew/Buy Live for 50% Off" sales? There were several of these deals in the last few months.
So why not just lower the price?

These constant deals continue illustrate that either MS can afford a lower price point or they know what they charge is overpriced.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2010, 04:56 PM

So why not just lower the price?

These constant deals continue illustrate that either MS can afford a lower price point or they know what they charge is overpriced.
Good point. I can't argue with that.
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 02:56 PM

Lips DLC for December 3rd

I expect Dakar to post that "Sorry we're closed." Cheers pic in the Black Ops thread any minute now.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2010, 03:22 PM

I was wondering what the hell you were posting in here.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2010, 11:19 AM

http://www.destructoid.com/ps3-firmw...u-189113.phtml
Everybody's favorite PS3 exclusive, The Firmware Experience, got an expansion pack today with 3.55, a brand new campaign to bolster the worldwide smash hit, Firmware 3: The Firming.

Sony itself has not yet detailed any new characters, costumes or quests in this add-on, merely describing it as "a minor update that adds a security patch." Some have rumored Sony was spurred into action following a recent PS3 jailbreak.

The Firmware Experience is, by far, the PS3's most successful franchise, having released three main entries and dozens of spin-off titles. There's something about that amazing loading bar that just keeps consumers coming back, whether they want to or not. We can't wait to see what else this series has up its sleeve in future!
Posted because, mmmm, delicious sarcasm.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2010, 11:44 AM

I don't understand the constant backlash against the firmware updates. Sure, ones that don't contain any new features can be a minor annoyance, but at least they're constantly working on it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2010, 11:47 AM

Time and inconvenience. It's the unexpected traffic jam on your way to playing a game.

Secondly, it appears that most of Sony's concern is purely self-centered. It looks like most of these updates are focused on thwarting piracy, not improving the end-user experience.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2010, 12:23 PM

The time I can almost understand, but I can't fault Sony for blocking modders.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2010, 12:26 PM

I can fault them for doing it so often. Seriously, I expect this out of MS, yet they some how manage not to send more than two or three updates a year. How are they surviving?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2010, 12:36 PM

XBL seems to work on a completely different level of sensibility from every other Microsoft platform.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2010, 08:40 PM

I have no issues with updates either. Turn it on let it do it's thing, and I'm off and going.

XBox Live has about 4 years of maturity over the PSN, it better be stable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2010, 12:49 PM

EA Won't Be Making Games For Offline Loners Anymore
Chatting with trade site Develop, Gibeau says "I volunteer you to speak to EA's studio heads; they'll tell you the same thing. They're very comfortable moving the discussion towards how we make connected gameplay – be it co-operative or multiplayer or online services – as opposed to fire-and-forget, packaged goods only, single-player, 25-hours-and you're out. I think that model is finished."
Good, leave it to better developers out to make more than a fast buck.

Related: Mirror's Edge fans have to think the chances of a sequel are lower than ever, eh?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2010, 11:00 AM

Thursday News

Cypress Hill "Singer" Suing Grand Theft Auto, Claims He's The "Real" CJ
Wait, what year is it?

Halo Wars stat tracking gets a reprieve from 343 Industries | Joystiq
they've "decided that the current plan of action was not in line with how we have always intended to support Halo games and the Halo franchise in general."
Didn't stop you from trying, though.

PSP2 rumor points to PS3 ports, 'early' PS3-level graphics | Joystiq
What is new from this particular source are impressions of the portable's power. IGN reports that the processor is "just over half as powerful as the PS3" and should be capable of producing "graphics comparable to early PlayStation 3 titles."
We always hear the next portable being compared to current gen consoles and it's never true.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2010, 11:33 AM

PSP2 rumor points to PS3 ports, 'early' PS3-level graphics | Joystiq

We always hear the next portable being compared to current gen consoles and it's never true.
Considering how good some iPhone games appear, I think it's realistic to say it will get close, but PS3-level? Nah.

Of course, I'd like to be proven wrong.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2010, 01:58 PM

You 360-only folks won't be too moved by this, but I'm losing my mind over here....

First Live Demo of Uncharted 3 Hits TVs Nationwide Next Week

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon will show off the first live demo of hotly-anticipated Playstation 3 exclusive Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception next Monday, Dec. 13.

Show producer Gavin Purcell Tweets that developers Naughty Dog will be on hand to demonstrate the game to show host and gamer Fallon.
Notice Fallon has kind of become the gaming representative on network TV?

Lawrence Of Arabia Inspires Next Year's Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception

This time around Drake will be hunting through the Rub' al Khali Desert searching for a legendary lost city in the sifting sands. Naughty Dog tells EW that they chose the desert (a location rumored since last month) because they wanted to deal with the challenge of animating the fluid landscape. They join Jager Entertainment and Spec Ops: The Line in that desire to play with sand animation.

There's a bit more in the story, like the inclusion of "backward climbing" and the ability to fight multiple people at once. Naughty Dog also promises to continue their work on the game's still-not-quite-all-there multiplayer.
I'm so freaking pumped, although I'm not sure what they're talking about with the multiplayer. I logged in probably 4x as many hours on UC2 multiplayer than MW2. Actually, that's probably why I only prestiged once.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2010, 10:26 PM

Anyone gonna get this next week?

X-Men Arcade

"I am Magneto! Master of magnet! HAHAHAHA!"

Man I remember dropping a shit ton of quarters on this arcade back in the day! 6 player co-op was unheard of back then.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2010, 10:38 PM

Bogues, Fatty...

Dead Space 2 demo launching December 21. Here's the synopsis:

In the Dead Space 2 demo, players will take engineer Isaac Clarke on a terrifying adventure through the Church of Unitology, an expectedly “safe” place that quickly becomes dangerous and deadly, during the Necromorph outbreak on the Sprawl. Players will also have access to a variety of new tools that Isaac can use to fight Necromorphs, including the new Javelin gun, updated stasis recharge mechanic and enhanced telekinesis ability. Players will also experience the advanced suit, equipped with jets that will allow Isaac full 360° control in Zero-G space.
Dead Space 2 - Sprawl Trailer

I never played the first one, but god damn! This game looks great!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2010, 11:11 AM

It's that time of the month!

Friday news: NPD Edition

November NPD: Best month ever for retail, Xbox | Joystiq

The NPD reports that last month was the "best November on record in terms of new physical retail sales," ahead of November 2008 by around $30 million.

And Microsoft (producer of the best-selling non-DS console) tells us that with 1.37 million consoles sold, November 2010 was not only the biggest November ever for Xbox, it was the biggest month ever.
Top 10 bestselling games for November 2010:
Call of Duty: Black Ops - 360, PS3,Wii, PC, DS - Activision Blizzard
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 360, PS3 - Ubisoft
Just Dance 2 - Wii - Ubisoft
Madden NFL 11 - 360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP - EA
Fable 3 - 360 - Microsoft
Donkey Kong Country Returns - Wii - Nintendo
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - 360, PS3, Wii, PC - EA
Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - Sony
NBA 2K11 - 360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC - Take-2 Interactive
Wii Fit Plus - Wii - Nintendo

Analysis has become tricky in the wake of the new sorting. I don't know if it's noteworthy or not that Madden is still up there or not.

What is noteworthy is Gran Turismo's place on the list. It may have been out only a week, but the first week is usually the biggest one. Whatever number you think GT5 sold, I'll bet it was lower. Here's why:

Fable III debuted late last month, meaning this is the second month of sales. Fable II sold a little more than 2.5 million copies, lifetime, so using that as a guide we can infer that Fable III will likely not outsell that number in two months. So let's say Fable III debuted with 750,000k copies in a few days last month, and doubled that over the course of this month – that's 1.5 million copies sold. This number sounds generous to me. Now, consider that GT5 is a flagship title with 6 years of anticipation behind it. Doesn't 1.5 million sound crazy low?* **

*The usual I am not a professional and I'm talking completely out of my ass applies here, but without better context the logic seems ok.
**If GT5 blew the doors off sales, wouldn't we be hearing it from Sony?

I'd add something about Hot Pursuit outselling it, but when it includes Wii and PC the numbers feel too disparate.

Now, some notes from Major Nelson.

November 2010 NPD Highlights - Xbox Live's Major Nelson

• November marks the sixth consecutive month Xbox 360 leads video game consoles in sales, with 1.37 million units sold. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)
• Xbox 360 is the only console to show double digit year-to-date growth at 42%, making it the fastest-growing console in 2010. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)
• 50% of spending at retail this November (for current generation consoles) was on the Xbox 360 platform. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)
• During the month of November, four of the top ten console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: Call of Duty: Black Ops, Fable III, Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, and Halo: Reach. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)
• Call of Duty: Black Ops for Xbox 360 was the number one selling console game in November. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)

One stat caught my eye:
Xbox 360 is the only console to show double digit year-to-date growth at 42%, making it the fastest-growing console in 2010.
Taking Major at his word this means the best possible growth rate for the Wii and the PS3 in US this year is 9%. There is a huge difference between 9% and 42% (Though much less painful a difference for Nintendo). That is, quite frankly, stunning.

Edit: 5.5 Million Copies of GT5 Sold, Series Tops 60 Million
So GT5 has sold 5.5 mil worldwide. That sounds appropriately impressive, but leaves me scratching my head as to breakdown of where and when the purchases occurred.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2010, 11:19 AM

Ars just jumped in with their analysis.

November great for Black Ops, good for everyone but Sony
While Gran Turismo 5 seems to occupy a lower than expected slot on the list, remember that it only had a few days to accumulate any sales in November. Sony has since announced that the game has sold 1.35 million units in North America since launch, and over 3.5 million in Europe. Those are impressive numbers, and the game should continue to be a strong seller through the holiday season.
Even more impressive, Black Ops was responsible for 25 percent of all video games sold in November. If four people walked into the store, one person walked out with Black Ops. That's crazy.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2010, 12:16 AM

PS3 news from the resident PS3 advocate:

SSX: Deadly Ascents Trailer

I was wondering months ago if there would be an SSX game for this generation. I spent probably 150+ hours with SSX Tricky. I loved the feel of the series. Such happiness...

Resistance 3 Release Date (with trailer) - Sept. 6, 2011

And the big news for PS3 fans everywhere: Uncharted is out November 1, 2011.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2010, 04:06 AM

Even bigger news...

Mass Effect 3

Oh hell yea!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2010, 04:56 AM

PS3s in the UK will get ITV Player and 4oD TV catchup software this week, to go along with BBC iPlayer

PS3 to start streaming ITV and Channel 4 content in the UK this week -- Engadget

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
PS3s in the UK will get ITV Player and 4oD TV catchup software this week, to go along with BBC iPlayer

PS3 to start streaming ITV and Channel 4 content in the UK this week -- Engadget
Why isn't Sony pursuing something comparable in the States?

Aggravating.

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
PS3 news from the resident PS3 advocate:

SSX: Deadly Ascents Trailer

I was wondering months ago if there would be an SSX game for this generation. I spent probably 150+ hours with SSX Tricky. I loved the feel of the series. Such happiness...

Resistance 3 Release Date (with trailer) - Sept. 6, 2011

And the big news for PS3 fans everywhere: Uncharted is out November 1, 2011.
As awesome as Uncharted 3 and ME3 are, I'm way more jazzed about Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2010, 04:12 PM

Why isn't Sony pursuing something comparable in the States?

Aggravating.
Wrong assumption. What networks want to broadcast TV on your gaming system in the States?

So far the answer seems to be no one. (ESPN 3 is a service provided by your ISP, which XBOX streamlines)

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2010, 04:29 PM

Wrong assumption. What networks want to broadcast TV on your gaming system in the States?

So far the answer seems to be no one. (ESPN 3 is a service provided by your ISP, which XBOX streamlines)
They don't even want to stream TV to you. Seemed like every major network bailed out on GoogleTV as soon as it went on sale.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
They don't even want to stream TV to you. Seemed like every major network bailed out on GoogleTV as soon as it went on sale.
They'll stream TV to you. But not on your TV. That's why I added the qualifier "gaming system."

I don't think bailed is the correct term, either. More like cock-blocked.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
As awesome as Uncharted 3 and ME3 are, I'm way more jazzed about Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
It deserves its own place up at the top, for sure, especially since they finally dumped that old, glitch-as-crap engine.

Good point. Forgot that about ESPN3.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2010, 05:02 PM

I'm saying ESPN 3 doesn't count.

Edit: Speaking of which, I found the experience much more consistent friday, when i wasn't watching AC: Brotherhood matches on Youtube.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Even bigger news...

Mass Effect 3

Oh hell yea!
I hope to have ME 2 finished by then.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2010, 05:37 PM

AT&T U-verse already does.

AT&T U-verse TV for Xbox 360

I've been doing some research on this and some people have found a way to get around the $99 setup fee. I'm going to try this during the holidays when I have some free time.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2010, 06:05 PM

Skimming over it, it looks like it makes the 360 a media extender rather than a replacement.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2010, 06:10 PM

The industry has really gotten bizarre. I guess we've moved on from system exclusives to store exclusives: Some Mortal Kombat Fatalities Only Available In Certain Stores

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 06:41 PM

I'm saying ESPN 3 doesn't count.

Edit: Speaking of which, I found the experience much more consistent friday, when i wasn't watching AC: Brotherhood matches on Youtube.
Thanks for destroying my gaming time by alerting me to Bill's work in the 3-man booth. I fell asleep during halftime due to their lovely commercial break screen. Why can't they play the halftime report? Lame.

Back to the main point: I thought Bill did pretty well -- funny as always, and up to his ears in basketball info. I've been addicted to his podcasts/column/book since you posted about his tension-filled Bill Walton interview. I hope his commentator work becomes a regular gig.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I'm planning an epic play-through during Christmas. We'll be in a condo in Destin with my bro/sis-in-law, and they all go to sleep early. I never made it 100% through the original Mass Effect, but I'm told ME2 will grip me through the end.

AT&T U-verse already does.

AT&T U-verse TV for Xbox 360

I've been doing some research on this and some people have found a way to get around the $99 setup fee. I'm going to try this during the holidays when I have some free time.
Looks totally unappealing, but that might have something to do with how much I loathe AT&T, whether in reference to their home/DSL service or cell service.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 06:44 PM

UUUGGGHHHHHH...

Forza Motorsport 4 Has Kinect Under The Hood

We've known that Microsoft's racing contender, Forza, would get controller-free Kinect support in some fashion since E3. Microsoft makes it doubly official today, naming Forza Motorsport 4 as the Kinect-powered "definitive racing game of 2011."

Forza developer Turn 10 Studios already pegged Forza 4 for a fall 2011 release date at this weekend's Spike TV Video Game Awards, courtesy of a mostly gameplay-free teaser trailer. Also teased at that show was the Top Gear (USA) branding, which, combined with the option to play with Kinect controls, will apparently "create an automotive experience unlike anything before it."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 06:54 PM

Removing even more feedback from a racing game is not a good idea.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2010, 07:44 PM

Skimming over it, it looks like it makes the 360 a media extender rather than a replacement.
Extender? This replaces your cable box/DVR. My favorite feature is you can view & send Live messages as you're watching TV. Expect to receive a lot of invites for Smallville in the near future.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Looks totally unappealing, but that might have something to do with how much I loathe AT&T, whether in reference to their home/DSL service or cell service.
U-verse is ****ing awesome! (At least in my area.) I switched over from Comcast last year and don't see myself going back. Although I do wish they would bump up their upload speeds (it maxes out at 3 Mbps.)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 14, 2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I think I can predict exactly what its going to be. Didn't 3 introduce breaking assist? Well since kinect doesn't lend itself to controlling acceleration and deceleration yourself, the natural conclusion seems like it will be steering only.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2010, 01:11 PM

Sega confirms "Dreamcast Collection"

"The Dreamcast fans are very devoted. You see on eBay people are still buying the games and system," Pritchard began. "We actually have a Dreamcast collection coming out soon. We are looking to bring some of the old Dreamcast games to market digitally and packaged. The titles are still to be announced. The Ultimate Genesis Collection did huge numbers on PS3 and 360, so it's an important part of our business. We've already been releasing some Dreamcast games digitally; Crazy Taxi [for one]."
The GameStop listing pegged the Dreamcast Collection's release for February 15, but as you can see, Pritchard didn't confirm that part, either.
I bought a Dreamcast on Day 1, and loved it. I'm at least looking forward to seeing what they include. Might be worth a look. Jet Grind Radio and Power Stone better be included.

Originally Posted by sek929
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
I think I can predict exactly what its going to be. Didn't 3 introduce breaking assist? Well since kinect doesn't lend itself to controlling acceleration and deceleration yourself, the natural conclusion seems like it will be steering only.
So they're taking a sim-leaning game, and turning it into a casual Kinect title that will likely be fun for no longer than 30 minutes? Fantastic.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 14, 2010, 01:14 PM

How was all the AI assist that existed before not casual leaning?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2010, 01:31 PM

Steady shift from sim to casual, culminating in Forza 4 possibly being neutered of all sim-like aspects...

There.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 14, 2010, 02:22 PM

Neutered? Ever heard of term "option" ?

I mean, Forza 3 had a rewind button for chrissakes

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2010, 02:24 PM

As long as it's an option, it's fine. If they completely ignore improving the traditional aspects of the series, then the series is neutered.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 14, 2010, 02:28 PM

Considering when Forza 3 came out people were saying they didn't see where else it had to go, I'm not surprised.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2010, 02:44 PM

2x the cars, more tracks, online innovation. What else would they have needed?

Hot Pursuit's autolog was one of the smartest online concepts I've seen implemented. Burnout: Paradise found their own creative niche via the online sphere. Forza could've done something. They could've even ripped the other guys off. Anything but Kinect.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 14, 2010, 02:55 PM

2x the cars, more tracks
More of the same.

online innovation. What else would they have needed?

Hot Pursuit's autolog was one of the smartest online concepts I've seen implemented. Burnout: Paradise found their own creative niche via the online sphere. Forza could've done something. They could've even ripped the other guys off. Anything but Kinect.
I don't know what Forza offered, but I'll be very surprised if they didn't have a system similar to PGR4s. That seemed like the best way to appeal to the dedicated crowd.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2010, 11:59 PM

I'm done ME2 except for the last 2 DLCs. I've got one of the DLCs, but haven't played it yet. I hope to finish the one Dlc durin Christmas. I'm not sure when I'll get the second DLC.

The trailer for ME3 doesn't show much, but i can't see how they could go wrong. they've done 2 good games so far.
MacBook Pro

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2010, 12:48 AM

Didn't 3 introduce breaking assist?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2010, 12:51 AM

How was all the AI assist that existed before not casual leaning?
Because you have to actively turn it on to get it when you set up your account.

I hope Forza 4 has more intelligent AI for other drivers. With Forza 3, you basically just have to have a slightly faster car so you can cut through other drivers' lines to get ahead. It gets boring (GT5 is the same way).

Forum Links
Forum Rules