Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 185)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Feel free to elaborate with, you know, actual words.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Because you have to actively turn it on to get it when you set up your account.
As opposed to 4, where kinect will be mandatory.

(Insert emoticon of choice here)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2010, 03:46 PM

SEGA: MadWorld would 'possibly' be better on 360/PS3- Destructoid
"Going back 12 to 18 months when we released those titles, it was a risk," he tells Game Informer. "Nintendo was supportive of the strategy. There was an intent to take the Wii console a little older, and make a more core machine. So games like MadWorld, House of the Dead and The Conduit fit that strategy. House of the Dead is a more established and casual franchise, and that did very well. Conduit 2 is getting a good buzz.

"It was a huge risk that we really believed in at the time, but the title did not sell well. Was it on the wrong platform? I don't know. Would it have done better on 360 or PS3? Possibly"

Yeah, The Xbox 360 And PS3 Are Getting A Dreamcast Compilation
I may play Shenmue after all.

Rumor: Keiji Inafune's new company named 'Comcept' | Joystiq

Codies: Pre-owned market is 'causing the industry pain'- Destructoid
They've tried insulting pre-owned consumers, they've tried holding content ransom, and now the enemies of secondhand software are attempting a pity plea. Codemasters boss Rod Cousens has appealed to the conscience of gamers everywhere by painting a grim future for the industry if things continue as they are.

"If things don't change, if pre-owned continues to grow and tensions around it increase, we'll all suffer pain," he says. "The retailers will say they're not going to stock your product if you support online and the software creators will say: 'We're not going to give you the product if you keep doing pre-owned, we'll stick it out as an online experience.'

Sony: Kinect will 'hit a wall'- Destructoid
"... There are limitations around a camera-only solution. It does work well and lend itself to certain genres, but you do tend to hit a bit of a wall when trying to support it with the broadest range of content available," says SCEE chief Andrew House. "That's not the sort of problem we have with Move. Consumers have understood Move is something that could impact a wide range of games. This is opposed to what I think may dog the competition to a degree, which is basing it solidly around just a family experience - and one that is harder to adapt into traditional game genres."

"We've got a whole range of experiences that serve the broadest audience and that is a far better long-term bet ... It really will be content that defines it."

Sony finds digital distribution confusing- Destructoid
"Digital, for me, still has a challenge in that it doesn't have the equivalent of that. Browsing is a little overwhelming and too confusing, and that's the challenge that makes me think there's a strong role for physical media for years to come."

Here's the thing, though -- digital content's biggest challenges are the publishers themselves, and especially publishers who think like Sony. The PSPgo was total junk because the PSN wasn't support properly and Sony insisted on overcharging for its games. Sony's own ignorance was its largest stumbling block, not the nature of digital distribution.

The 20 Most-Loved Wii Games, For The Last Time

Holy shit, Monster Hunter Tri

Call of Duty: Black Ops gets major patch, PS3 gamers suffer connection issues | Joystiq
The biggest changes include: the addition of over 400 new Contracts (perfect for folks who are still on that paper chase); the new option to play offline with AI practice dummies; split-screen multiplayer; and a new "Dolly Cam" for the game's Theater mode, giving machinma-makers a bit more cinematographic flexibility.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2010, 06:01 PM

Gamasutra - News - Xbox 360 Leads Online Play, Wii Users Spend 20% Of Time On Streaming Content
Research firm Nielsen's latest game industry survey found that Xbox 360 users spend 62 percent of their console time on games -- with their playtime evenly split between online and offline play. PlayStation 3 users spend a little more than half of their console time doing things other than gaming -- and when they play, it's "relatively more" offline versus online play than its rival.

Both consoles see watching DVDs and Blu-ray videos as their second most common usage -- PlayStation 3 users spend 27 percent of their console time watching Blu-rays, which is "on-par with offline gaming and, in fact, surpasses online gaming" on the hardware.

Netflix may have started on the 360, but a year or two in, that has not turned out to be any significant advantage.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 11:33 AM

Thursday News: MS Edition

Xbox 360 Faceplates Were a Failure, Says Microsoft
"We don't ever create an accessory with the intent of having it fail", Albert Penello told Official Xbox Magazine. "The idea wasn't bad ... people used to put faceplates on their cell phones. Rewind five years, faceplates were what everybody wanted to do."
I forgot these things ever existed.

Is This Kinect's First 'Sex' Game, Or Is It Just The Creepiest?
Sex video game maker ThriXXX claims it has built a Kinect-based interface for its brand of sex video games, which seem to involve sliding your hands across computer generated T&A for kicks. Clearly there's some work to be done in this NSFW video of digital girls getting pawed by a disembodied hand, because women typically don't like it when you insert your fingers inside their breasts.
Haven't seen the video as I'm at work, but this sounds like a NSFW motion-control disaster.

Microsoft Stole Footage For Forza 4 Game Trailer
You stay classy, MS.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I may play Shenmue after all.
Most boring game of all-time.

I actually agree, but time (and SOCOM/Killzone 3) will really tell.

Sony finds digital distribution confusing- Destructoid

"Digital, for me, still has a challenge in that it doesn't have the equivalent of that. Browsing is a little overwhelming and too confusing, and that's the challenge that makes me think there's a strong role for physical media for years to come."
Nooo...Sony just sucks at organizing the browsing experience. This is my biggest complaint with the PS Store.

Netflix may have started on the 360, but a year or two in, that has not turned out to be any significant advantage.
People were already used to using the PS3 as a media player.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Most boring game of all-time.
I'm not quite ready to accept that anti-endorsement. After all, I love slow ass games like SimCity and Populous. (And am interested in Heavy Rain)

I actually agree, but time (and SOCOM/Killzone 3) will really tell.
Yeah, you may want to rethink that opinion. First, the entire spiel reeks of poo-pooing an obvious success when they're getting crushed (i.e., "The PS3 is on a 10 year plan"), and second, there's nothing stopping MS from integrating controllers in the future (and they've already talked about doing so).

People were already used to using the PS3 as a media player.
The numbers are similar for the Wii, too, however.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2010, 01:34 PM

I'm not quite ready to accept that anti-endorsement. After all, I love slow ass games like SimCity and Populous. (And am interested in Heavy Rain)
I've spent well over 1,000 hours on slow-paced games like Civ 2/3/4, every SimCity, etc. I loved them all.

Shenmue is an entirely different beast. I actually hope you give it a try though.

Yeah, you may want to rethink that opinion. First, the entire spiel reeks of poo-pooing an obvious success when they're getting crushed (i.e., "The PS3 is on a 10 year plan")...
I'll re-visit the opinion and 'fess up if I'm wrong, but I think the Kinect is going to be a peripheral version of the Wii. It will sell a ton early on, never be used, and ultimately become ignored. The Move? It's already kind of ignored.

Additionally, the PS3 isn't getting "crushed." The 360 is surging right now, possibly due to the Kinect excitement and bundles, but it should level out in the coming months.

...and second, there's nothing stopping MS from integrating controllers in the future (and they've already talked about doing so).
...which would be a roundabout way of admitting their idea sucked at is was. I'd settle for that.

The numbers are similar for the Wii, too, however.
I'd imagine that's because of the legions of casual/adult gamers that don't actually play games unless friends come over to fire up Wii Sports.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 01:55 PM

I've spent well over 1,000 hours on slow-paced games like Civ 2/3/4, every SimCity, etc. I loved them all.

Shenmue is an entirely different beast. I actually hope you give it a try though.
It'll depend on how much the collection costs and if there's anything else on there I want.

I'll re-visit the opinion and 'fess up if I'm wrong, but I think the Kinect is going to be a peripheral version of the Wii. It will sell a ton early on, never be used, and ultimately become ignored. The Move? It's already kind of ignored.
I'm sure MS would be ecstatic to have the kinect version of the Wii. C'mon, like Sony wouldn't rather have the MS sales. It's blatant spin on their part.

Additionally, the PS3 isn't getting "crushed." The 360 is surging right now, possibly due to the Kinect excitement and bundles, but it should level out in the coming months.
I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about after debut when they made that excuse. Forgetting about the Wii?

...which would be a roundabout way of admitting their idea sucked at is was. I'd settle for that.
Sounds like a no-win situation from your POV.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2010, 02:32 PM

ME2 on PS3 is running on the ME3 engine.

I'm not sure this is enough to convince me to trophy up when I already got the 360 version for so cheap, but at least we're getting something more than just ten minutes of ME1 replacement comics.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 02:39 PM

That is kinda awesome. Not sure if its worth the wait, but awesome nonetheless.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2010, 04:08 PM

It'll depend on how much the collection costs and if there's anything else on there I want.
$60 seems like a lock.

I'm sure MS would be ecstatic to have the kinect version of the Wii. C'mon, like Sony wouldn't rather have the MS sales. It's blatant spin on their part.
Sony and MS would love to have Wii-level sales, of course. But if this crap everyone is focusing on takes over gaming, then what happens to serious gamers? Are they actually in any danger of losing the experience they want?

I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about after debut when they made that excuse. Forgetting about the Wii?
I gotcha. Admitting short-term defeat on the onset.

I admit that all the focus on Blu-ray and other non-gaming entertainment signaled a change in focus that MS (perhaps unwittingly) capitalized on.

The sad part is that the PS3 is actually an incredible gaming system. Games built for it from the ground up are amazing.

Sounds like a no-win situation from your POV.
Trying desperately to find a silver lining.

That is kinda awesome. Not sure if its worth the wait, but awesome nonetheless.
I'm actually really surprised by the extra effort.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 04:17 PM

Sony and MS would love to have Wii-level sales, of course. But if this crap everyone is focusing on takes over gaming, then what happens to serious gamers? Are they actually in any danger of losing the experience they want?
The PC side is the hardest of the hardcore and they still get plenty of good games. Anyway, as the Wii is demonstrating, you may not want to put all your eggs in the casual basket. They are fickle in their own ways.

I gotcha. Admitting short-term defeat on the onset.

I admit that all the focus on Blu-ray and other non-gaming entertainment signaled a change in focus that MS (perhaps unwittingly) capitalized on.

The sad part is that the PS3 is actually an incredible gaming system. Games built for it from the ground up are amazing.
I'm not sure I see the term "incredible". This goes for the XBOX too. There are trade-offs.

If XBOX's best feature is Live, the PS3s is Blu-Ray. Unfortunately, that is counter-active to getting people to game. (See the PS3 stats above)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2010, 04:52 PM

I'm not sure I see the term "incredible". This goes for the XBOX too. There are trade-offs.

If XBOX's best feature is Live, the PS3s is Blu-Ray. Unfortunately, that is counter-active to getting people to game. (See the PS3 stats above)
The 360's best feature is undoubtedly Live. The PS3's is a little tougher to pin down. Sure, the Blu-ray player is nice, a lot of those people using it as a media center could have bought it early on without any intention of playing games on it, which could potentially skew the statistics. It was the cheapest (and still one of the best) Blu-ray players available at launch.

I bought it because I had a long-established connection to the Playstation brand and I trusted the experience. Now I feel I'm sticking with it because it has delivered well on quality exclusives (not counting this holiday season). The only serious let-downs I've experienced is no party chat (sorely missed in online shooters), late in getting trophies, and a smaller community, which I wouldn't always consider a negative.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 05:02 PM

The 360's best feature is undoubtedly Live. The PS3's is a little tougher to pin down. Sure, the Blu-ray player is nice, a lot of those people using it as a media center could have bought it early on without any intention of playing games on it, which could potentially skew the statistics. It was the cheapest (and still one of the best) Blu-ray players available at launch.
See, the bolded part says it all. Remove Blu-Ray. What's left that's must have?

Seriously, Blu-Ray is the only reason people swallow the price (Outside of deluded brand loyalty or staunch anti-MS sentiment).

Now I feel I'm sticking with it because it has delivered well on quality exclusives.
Sticking with it makes it sound like it doesn't deserve to be kept. I don't see it as any less competent a gaming system than the xbox. I just find the price hard to swallow with a waning interest in Blu-Ray (I'd mention exclusives but the truth is if roles were reversed there's no way I could buy an xbox based solely on its exclusives, either).

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2010, 06:39 PM

XMB is still a better interface, and some of the exclusives are worth it. However, probably proving Dakar's point, I already owned a Wii and Xbox before I bought a PS3.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2010, 08:41 PM

See, the bolded part says it all. Remove Blu-Ray. What's left that's must have?
...FOR VIDEOPHILES. For gamers, it was still a Playstation, and that's what they're using it for. Sony just completely screwed up in not having their product to market at the same time as the 360. Sony would have had the advantage if...

1. They were to market at the same time.
2. Their console wasn't $600
3. Their online service wasn't a notch below.

Seriously, Blu-Ray is the only reason people swallow the price (Outside of deluded brand loyalty or staunch anti-MS sentiment).
Swallowed. What's wrong with the current $300 price point?

Sticking with it makes it sound like it doesn't deserve to be kept. I don't see it as any less competent a gaming system than the xbox. I just find the price hard to swallow with a waning interest in Blu-Ray (I'd mention exclusives but the truth is if roles were reversed there's no way I could buy an xbox based solely on its exclusives, either).
Then it was the wrong choice of words. It definitely deserves to be kept. I readily admit that I'm spending more time on 360 the past few months though, and it's not just because of BO.

The "waning interest in Blu-ray" is definitely a major problem for Sony. They pounced on Netflix play pretty early, but this Walmart Vudu video partnership is lackluster, and they're missing out on ESPN3.

Really, the only thing 99% solid is their gaming.

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
XMB is still a better interface, and some of the exclusives are worth it.
I agree. I love the XMB, and the exclusives are a notch above, IMHO.

However, probably proving Dakar's point, I already owned a Wii and Xbox before I bought a PS3.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2010, 11:23 PM

The aforementioned BC2 Vietnam expansion gets reviewed by IGN - 9.5

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2010, 04:36 AM

Gears of War 3 beta will be available to those who pre-order the limited edition of Bulletstorm.
Epic's Capps sounds off on Gears beta, movie - News at GameSpot

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 19, 2010, 05:36 PM

...FOR VIDEOPHILES. For gamers, it was still a Playstation, and that's what they're using it for.
Resting on the laurels of their name? We see how well that went for the GameCube. But seriously, that's ****ed up justification.

Sony just completely screwed up in not having their product to market at the same time as the 360. Sony would have had the advantage if…

2. Their console wasn't $600
No shit. And the XBOX would have sold poorly if it had been $3k. You're missing the point. The PS3 cost so much because they felt Blu-Ray was sooo important. That was their must have feature. A (mostly) non-gaming one.

You want the real kick in the teeth? Nintendo and Sony had completely opposed business strategies. Nintendo brought cheap old hardware with little extended features but one new gaming facet. Sony brought expensive new hardware with a plethora of extended features but no new gaming facet. Coincidence that they're 1 and 3?

Swallowed. What's wrong with the current $300 price point?
Easy. Let's pretend my 360s die tomorrow. Let's pretend all my games can be played on either system. Which one would I buy? The 360, probably. It's $100 cheaper. Why am I going to pay $100 more than my current console for a piece of hardware whose biggest feature doesn't apply to me and I'm going to use less overall?

Then it was the wrong choice of words. It definitely deserves to be kept. I readily admit that I'm spending more time on 360 the past few months though, and it's not just because of BO.
Or exclusives.

Really, the only thing 99% solid is their gaming.
99% is a bit high, if only because of all the shoddy ports. I'd say it's been a solid gaming system since Uncharted 2 (So barely over a year). Before that, I just don't see it in comparison to the xbox.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Well, I do wonder how many PS3s live in a vacuum (i.e., no console polygamy).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 21, 2010, 12:21 PM

Tuesday News

Rock Band Creators Suing For A Cut Of The Rock Band Money
A group of former shareholders in Rock Band developers Harmonix - including company CEO Alex Rigopulos and his co-founder Eran Egozy - are suing parent company Viacom, amid claims massive bonus payments are being avoided.
Dear Developers,
The industry is going to try **** you over.
Sincerely,
Those guys that used to work at IW

Splinter Cell Re-Releases Creeping Up On The PS3 In 2011
Rereleases on the PS3? Never!

EA: Xbox can't beat PlayStation worldwide- Destructoid
Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello has stated that, despite Microsoft gaining significant ground with the Xbox 360, that the PlayStation brand has far too much sway around the world for Xbox to ever beat it.

"At the same time, the Xbox brand, the Microsoft brand, doesn't carry anywhere near as much sway as the Sony and PlayStation brand do outside the United States, and so I think the reality is the international marketplace is just so important and it's a natural advantage that no matter how good Microsoft is at growing their business, Sony has an almost-impossible-to-supersede head start."
It's mostly accurate – so long as he's only talking the short-term future. This gen showed me pre-conceived notions about companies doesn't mean shit for sales.

What Gran Turismo and Forza can learn from one another

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 11:33 PM

Here's a fun game you can play at home...

1. Pick up an xbox controller.
2. Press the big Silver Guide button
3. Wait about 5 seconds.
4. HIt A
5. HIt A
6. Hit A

Guess what chicken butt? You just spent $99 bucks on a Gold Family Pack!

You don't even need to turn your TV on to do it! Just pick up a controller and start hitting buttons. Why, it's so easy I bet that a one year old could do it on his own.

So funny story... guess what happened to me tonight?

Anyone want to guess?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2010, 11:39 PM

Great article. I didn't realize that GT5 doesn't have a traditional analog rev counter. That'd be a deal-breaker for me. I really hope Forza 4 has rallying and weather like GT5. Also something I'd like to see in games like GT5 and F4: Variable traction control. Many cars today have this. Give four options, such as all on, all off, race, and sport. I love driving without traction control, but many cars (Ferraris especially), aren't designed to be ran without traction control off.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 22, 2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Here's a fun game you can play at home...

1. Pick up an xbox controller.
2. Press the big Silver Guide button
3. Wait about 5 seconds.
4. HIt A
5. HIt A
6. Hit A

Guess what chicken butt? You just spent $99 bucks on a Gold Family Pack!

You don't even need to turn your TV on to do it! Just pick up a controller and start hitting buttons. Why, it's so easy I bet that a one year old could do it on his own.

So funny story... guess what happened to me tonight?

Anyone want to guess?
Maybe he knows something you don't.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 22, 2010, 10:57 AM

Merry Christmas, Jawbone
2010 Is Very Good For The PS3

Call Of Duty Is Nothing Like The Real Thing
Posting so I can view this later.

Call of Duty Giant Suing Rival Over Modern Warfare Meltdown, Paints Uglier Picture
Now everybody is evil

lulz worthy:
On the same day that Treyarch released a video trailer promoting a follow-on product – a "map" pack or "downloadable content" – designed for players of Treyarch's game Call of Duty: World at War, West and Zampella released a marketing video for Modern Warfare 2 with the purpose of hurting Treyarch's and Activision's marketing efforts. Far from being remorseful, West attempted to justify his actions on the ground that Treyarch had insufficiently coordinated with Infinity Ward by stating: "We released on the same day as you because we had no clue you were releasing anything. We are not happy about it." The real truth, however, was revealed by a series of text messages between West and an Infinity Ward employee contemporaneous with the video trailers' release. The employee texted West that "treyarch released their mp dlc video." West responded: "Super nice? We release our video? Crush and destroy with our video." The employee answered: "We already did. And . . . we already did." West's following comment: "Nice."

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 22, 2010, 08:19 PM

This last year has converted me to a Amazon only gamer, and has eliminated both best buy and gamestop from my purchase structure...
but this gamefly used end of year game sale has some decent deals so i figured i'd share with the group (both PS3/360)

Gamefly Used End of Year Game Sale

Personal Highlights
Splinter Cell: Conviction - $9.99
Borderlands - $12.99
Prince of Persia - The Forgotton Sands - $7.99

Free shipping also

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2010, 09:08 PM

EA facing price-fixing anti-trust law violation for Madden

Electronic Arts faces a class action anti-trust lawsuit that claims the company raised the price of Madden NFL video games after it obtained exclusive rights to the NFL license.

The lawsuit covers any Madden NFL title released during or after 2005. Any American consumer that bought one of the games during this period is able to register as a plaintiff. The main allegation being that once EA acquired the exclusive license, prices were then inflated as much as 70 percent.

This acknowledges that Take-Two's NFL2K5 was sold at a budget price in 2004 ($19.95) and EA was forced into a price war where Madden NFL 2005 was sold for a more competitive price of $29.95.

EA's lawyers are expected to argue that the subsequent rise in price after the exclusive deal was simply a return to previous industry standard pricing ($49.99). The question of EA's use of the license as unfair competition is only a secondary issue for the plaintiffs.
I was never a fan that the money hungry NFL signed an exclusive deal with EA. The competition kept the prices down and to be honest, I was a huge fan of the NFL 2K games. I'm sure EA dumped truckloads of cash to the greedy NFL back in '05. Now that I think of it, I don't think any other sport has an exclusive deal with one company other than the NFL. Maybe FIFA?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2010, 10:48 PM

More EA news...

Madden Curse movie in the works

Electronic Arts is developing "Madden Curse," a sports comedy that incorporates the infamous jinx, believed to strike NFL players who appear on the cover of EA's popular "Madden" video game with injury or poor performance.

The story will follow a former Madden video game champion who is forced out of retirement just as he finds himself on the corner of the game's cover -- and subject to the curse.

Pat O'Brien, VP of EA Entertainment, is spearheading the project as one of its producers.

O'Brien wasn't immediately available for comment on Monday, but an individual at Electronic Arts confirmed that the company is developing a movie about the so-called curse.
Oh good Lord! Maybe this is EA's attempt to offset the class action lawsuit they're facing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2010, 12:21 PM

Resting on the laurels of their name? We see how well that went for the GameCube. But seriously, that's ****ed up justification.
Resting on their laurels? Psshhh...

They're not doing a perfect job, but the PS3 is still (IMHO) an undervalued gaming system.

No shit. And the XBOX would have sold poorly if it had been $3k. You're missing the point. The PS3 cost so much because they felt Blu-Ray was sooo important. That was their must have feature. A (mostly) non-gaming one.
And yet nearly everyone who gets a PS3 uses it, whether they initially cared for it or not. I don't remember Sony touting Blu-ray as their must-have feature. I remember them including it, but not making it their great difference-maker -- I believe it's you doing that.

You want the real kick in the teeth? Nintendo and Sony had completely opposed business strategies. Nintendo brought cheap old hardware with little extended features but one new gaming facet. Sony brought expensive new hardware with a plethora of extended features but no new gaming facet. Coincidence that they're 1 and 3?
Is that justification for Nintendo's laziness?

Easy. Let's pretend my 360s die tomorrow. Let's pretend all my games can be played on either system. Which one would I buy? The 360, probably. It's $100 cheaper. Why am I going to pay $100 more than my current console for a piece of hardware whose biggest feature doesn't apply to me and I'm going to use less overall?
Of course, but you've already invested plenty into the 360. For a consumer who has yet to buy a 360/PS3, I don't think the decision is as quite clear-cut. It really comes down to how many friends you have on XBL.

Or exclusives.
Zing.

Actually, I just mention the reason that I've been spending so much time on my 360: friends on XBL. If I get on Black Ops, I can play with you guys, my family, my local friends, my NOLA friends...and nearly all of them play Black Ops. At any given time, I have between 3-15 friends playing the game. That's the only reason I'm not playing it on PS3, where only about 3 or 4 of my friends play daily (but almost constantly).

99% is a bit high, if only because of all the shoddy ports. I'd say it's been a solid gaming system since Uncharted 2 (So barely over a year). Before that, I just don't see it in comparison to the xbox.
I'd agree with the UC2 timing. Ever since, they've been plugging away, and 2011 looks to be its brightest yet (I'm posting about this later today).

Well, I do wonder how many PS3s live in a vacuum (i.e., no console polygamy).
I really have no clue, and I couldn't find a study on it.

Yep, I'm buying it.

EA: Xbox can't beat PlayStation worldwide- Destructoid

It's mostly accurate, so long as he's only talking the short-term future. This gen showed me pre-conceived notions about companies doesn't mean shit for sales.
I was pretty blown away by his comments. I'm not entirely sure I agree, however, especially given the influence the U.S. has on gaming trends.

Nice article. I really wonder how much PD is going to learn from Forza though -- they seem oblivious to how racing games have changed since the PS2 days.

Merry Christmas, Jawbone
2010 Is Very Good For The PS3
Yes, indeed.

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
This last year has converted me to a Amazon only gamer, and has eliminated both best buy and gamestop from my purchase structure...
Amazon has become a haven for gamers looking for deals. I do buy a game or two from Best Buy, but almost everything is coming from Amazon now.

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
EA facing price-fixing anti-trust law violation for Madden

I was never a fan that the money hungry NFL signed an exclusive deal with EA. The competition kept the prices down and to be honest, I was a huge fan of the NFL 2K games. I'm sure EA dumped truckloads of cash to the greedy NFL back in '05. Now that I think of it, I don't think any other sport has an exclusive deal with one company other than the NFL. Maybe FIFA?
Yeah, the competition was healthy. The NFL2K series was fantastic at times. Madden has been fairly stagnant ever since they gained the exclusive NFL license.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2010, 12:37 PM

IGN ran an article on the top-ten most anticipated games of the year. Here's the breakdown for 360/PS3 (exclusives in color)...

PS3
10 - Batman: Arkham City
9 - Rage
8 - The Last Guardian
7 - Killzone 3
6 - Dead Space 2
5 - Infamous 2
4 - Resistance 3
3 - LittleBigPlanet 2
2 - Mass Effect 3
1 - Uncharted 3

10 - Gears of War 3
9 - Dead Space 2
8 - L.A. Noire
7 - Child of Eden
6 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5 - Rage
4 - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3 - Portal 2
2 - Batman: Arkham City
1 - Mass Effect 3

Unless Microsoft pulls some exclusive rabbits out of their hat at E3, PS3 is going to own 2011. I know this isn't a comprehensive list, but it certainly includes the most-anticipated games of the year as of now. Whether or not this will affect hardware sales is difficult to predict, but it's hard to deny the class of Sony's exclusives they're preparing the roll out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2010, 11:43 AM

Resting on their laurels? Psshhh...

They're not doing a perfect job, but the PS3 is still (IMHO) an undervalued gaming system.

And yet nearly everyone who gets a PS3 uses it, whether they initially cared for it or not. I don't remember Sony touting Blu-ray as their must-have feature. I remember them including it, but not making it their great difference-maker -- I believe it's you doing that.
Umm, how else were the justifying the insane price? It was Blu-ray and processing power.

Is that justification for Nintendo's laziness?
It's a matter of perspective.

Of course, but you've already invested plenty into the 360.
Did you even read the ****ing scenario?!

For a consumer who has yet to buy a 360/PS3, I don't think the decision is as quite clear-cut. It really comes down to how many friends you have on XBL.
I agree. I don't think anyone saw that coming. It's not about price or games or hardware. Crazy, eh?

I'd agree with the UC2 timing. Ever since, they've been plugging away, and 2011 looks to be its brightest yet (I'm posting about this later today).
It was partly the slim-design and price-drop, too. You'd think that would have meant a 2010 where they started to pull away from XBOX, but I think the slim 360 did as much for the MS as the slim did for PS3. You'll notice the term RROD has died since its introduction. That's a huge stigma gone for the holiday season.

I was pretty blown away by his comments. I'm not entirely sure I agree, however, especially given the influence the U.S. has on gaming trends.
Well Japan is a forgone conclusion thanks to thinly veiled racism. That leaves Europe, whom I think will be open-minded next gen as anti-MS sentiment fades and the XBOX gains more exposure. It's worth noting that Great Britain accounts for a good chunk of XBOX sales. Must be a english speaking thing.

Yes, indeed.
It was tongue-in-cheek. FFXIII and GT5 only moved 2 million more consoles? Yikes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2010, 11:46 AM

I hope I get some credit for this. I was using Wal•Mart for release day purchases, but since introduction of $1 release day shipping that a moot point as well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2010, 12:03 PM

IGN ran an article on the top-ten most anticipated games of the year. Here's the breakdown for 360/PS3 (exclusives in color)...

PS3
10 - Batman: Arkham City
9 - Rage
8 - The Last Guardian
7 - Killzone 3
6 - Dead Space 2
5 - Infamous 2
4 - Resistance 3
3 - LittleBigPlanet 2
2 - Mass Effect 3
1 - Uncharted 3

10 - Gears of War 3
9 - Dead Space 2
8 - L.A. Noire
7 - Child of Eden
6 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5 - Rage
4 - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3 - Portal 2
2 - Batman: Arkham City
1 - Mass Effect 3
People have been poo-pooing MS because they don't have enough exclusives since their banner year in 2008. I think the point is valid, but sales figures don't back that up. So, what's the deal?

Well, I have a theory. It's rather cyclical, but I think it's true: The PS3 isn't selling because no-one has a PS3. Hear me out: I have no interest in a PS3 for exclusives (I had a huge interest in bot MAG and Heavy Rain and both have been classified as mediocre). But it's also true I've never even tried any of these games. I'm not being difficult. None of my regular gamer friends has a PS3 (One of my casual gamer buddies has one, but its a Blu-Ray/Madden player). I couldn't watch or demo these games even if I wanted to. So how can I desire gamesI've never tried? It's possible, but for the average consumer I think it's much harder. (In contrast, think of the Wii; Didn't this thing move boatloads because it's a virus?)

The other side of the coin is I'd argue none of those exclusives is must-have multiplayer (indeed, many are SP focused, which seems to be the PS3s niche). I'm not saying the mulitplayer isn't good, I'm saying that I doubt there's going to be a situation where I'm constantly hearing from either the media or friends about how much fun multiplayer on one of these games are (Expect the GoW3 media train to start up soon; They'll need it after the disaster of 2).

In short, PS3 may have the best games next year, but it likely won't matter because no one other than PS3 owners will know.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2010, 04:03 PM

Umm, how else were the justifying the insane price? It was Blu-ray and processing power.
They thought the Playstation brand would justify the price. I remember them saying Blu-ray was necessary for keeping these games on one disc as well (which 360 was unable to do with some games, but wound up not mattering).

Now the "It only does everything" campaign makes the Blu-ray a part of its marketing strategy, but at the time the PS3 was released, Blu-ray still had yet to win out over HD-DVD. Surely they wouldn't have invested that much into a format that wasn't guaranteed success ("success" used loosely).

It's a matter of perspective.
As is everything else, which probably has plenty to do with why we argue about this stuff all the time.

Did you even read the ****ing scenario?!
Don't mix your exclamations and questions marks at me, young man. I read it, and shifted the focus from you to someone who had yet to invest into a console.

Also, you can't count it as $100 cheaper when you know good and well you'd buy the $300 version.

I agree. I don't think anyone saw that coming. It's not about price or games or hardware. Crazy, eh?

It was partly the slim-design and price-drop, too. You'd think that would have meant a 2010 where they started to pull away from XBOX, but I think the slim 360 did as much for the MS as the slim did for PS3. You'll notice the term RROD has died since its introduction. That's a huge stigma gone for the holiday season.
You're right: I haven't seen a single story on the RRoD since the 360 slim. I'm sure it's happened, but it seems to be an issue of the past. Good for them.

Well Japan is a forgone conclusion thanks to thinly veiled racism. That leaves Europe, whom I think will be open-minded next gen as anti-MS sentiment fades and the XBOX gains more exposure. It's worth noting that Great Britain accounts for a good chunk of XBOX sales. Must be a english speaking thing.
...and Japan has become nearly irrelevant, which is still hard for me to adjust to. I'd agree about Europe. I noticed from the first time I bought TW for the 360 how many online players had British accents. Playing Uncharted 2 online, I noticed a ton of French and Arab-speaking players.

It was tongue-in-cheek. FFXIII and GT5 only moved 2 million more consoles? Yikes.
I'm aware, but with the lackluster critical response FFXIII and GT5 received, it's not that surprising. I'm hedging my bets on 2011.

People have been poo-pooing MS because they don't have enough exclusives since their banner year in 2008. I think the point is valid, but sales figures don't back that up. So, what's the deal?

Well, I have a theory. It's rather cyclical, but I think it's true: The PS3 isn't selling because no-one has a PS3. Hear me out: I have no interest in a PS3 for exclusives (I had a huge interest in bot MAG and Heavy Rain and both have been classified as mediocre). But it's also true I've never even tried any of these games. I'm not being difficult. None of my regular gamer friends has a PS3 (One of my casual gamer buddies has one, but its a Blu-Ray/Madden player). I couldn't watch or demo these games even if I wanted to. So how can I desire gamesI've never tried? It's possible, but for the average consumer I think it's much harder. (In contrast, think of the Wii; Didn't this thing move boatloads because it's a virus?)

The other side of the coin is I'd argue none of those exclusives is must-have multiplayer (indeed, many are SP focused, which seems to be the PS3s niche). I'm not saying the mulitplayer isn't good, I'm saying that I doubt there's going to be a situation where I'm constantly hearing from either the media or friends about how much fun multiplayer on one of these games are (Expect the GoW3 media train to start up soon; They'll need it after the disaster of 2).

In short, PS3 may have the best games next year, but it likely won't matter because no one other than PS3 owners will know.
I can't really disagree with any of that. MAG was one of the biggest current-gen disappointments for me. They still have a fairly large, dedicated community -- I'm just not sure how.

Sony missed the boat with several early mistakes that they have yet to recover from (some mentioned pages ago)...

1. They were a year late.
2. They didn't focus on community early on, and XBL is, hands-down, the best gaming community service.
3. Home was their attempt to enter the online arena, and it was a disaster.
4. They still have yet to implement party chat and other features, indicating that it's not really that crucial to their strategy.

So in a generation of gamers who largely play online and migrate to the system where their friends are, Sony shows up late, neglects to recognize what's becoming important, and most of its exclusives are primarily single-player.

Worth noting: Nintendo is a perfect representation of 21st-century Japanese gaming. They ignored multiplayer, focused on cute/casual/niche titles, and haven't read the Western gaming community well (except for the newly-discovered casual crowd). Microsoft is an American company through-and-through, and although hardware mistakes caused some PR damage early on, they focused so heavily on the online aspects of gaming, and it's paid off.

Sony is stuck somewhere in the middle between the two, and it seems to be an accurate reflection of the company's structure. They're not really a Japanese company, but they're definitely not a Western company either. They offer multiplayer (even freely), but haven't stressed it. They attract Western developers, but still court Japanese support. They have one foot in 360's realm, and another in the PS2's realm.

I love the system, and I'm excited about the games being released for it. I wish it wasn't so easily passed over, but I supposed people can't miss something when they're too busy with what they already have.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2010, 04:50 PM

They thought the Playstation brand would justify the price. I remember them saying Blu-ray was necessary for keeping these games on one disc as well (which 360 was unable to do with some games, but wound up not mattering).
It'll matter one day, but that day may be too far off. If I'm MS, I'm definitely looking to drop the "720" in the waning years of the PS3.

Now the "It only does everything" campaign makes the Blu-ray a part of its marketing strategy, but at the time the PS3 was released, Blu-ray still had yet to win out over HD-DVD. Surely they wouldn't have invested that much into a format that wasn't guaranteed success ("success" used loosely).
From what I can find on google, it looks like you're right. They – didn't tout Blu-Ray. They didn't tout a damn thing. These assholes were as stupifyingly arrogant about the process as possible.

Will PlayStation 3 sell as well as its predecessors? | Technology | The Guardian
Ken Kutaragi gave a surprisingly insouciant answer when asked whether the PS3 will outsell Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii: "We don't care."
So an ebullient Kutaragi was prepared to laugh off the bad publicity that has dogged the PS3 since Sony's lacklustre showing at May's E3 Show in LA: "When we released the PlayStation and even the PlayStation 2, I didn't see any favourable articles. The press coverage always said: 'PlayStation will fail', or: 'We have lost our momentum', blah, blah, blah. But we have lots of passion and confidence in the PlayStation 3 titles."

As is everything else, which probably has plenty to do with why we argue about this stuff all the time.
I'm not talking point of view as you and me, but more about accessibility vs. creativity.

Don't mix your exclamations and questions marks at me, young man. I read it, and shifted the focus from you to someone who had yet to invest into a console.

Also, you can't count it as $100 cheaper when you know good and well you'd buy the $300 version.
The simple answer is (and I'm likely misusing the phrase) barrier to entry.

You're right
Of course I am.

...and Japan has become nearly irrelevant, which is still hard for me to adjust to. I'd agree about Europe. I noticed from the first time I bought TW for the 360 how many online players had British accents. Playing Uncharted 2 online, I noticed a ton of French and Arab-speaking players.
You and your interminable abbreviations.

I'm aware, but with the lackluster critical response FFXIII and GT5 received, it's not that surprising. I'm hedging my bets on 2011.
Unless you saw those mediocre reviews coming, I am unimpressed.

I can't really disagree with any of that.
I'm on fire.

Sony missed the boat with several early mistakes that they have yet to recover from (some mentioned pages ago)...

1. They were a year late.
2. They didn't focus on community early on, and XBL is, hands-down, the best gaming community service.
3. Home was their attempt to enter the online arena, and it was a disaster.
4. They still have yet to implement party chat and other features, indicating that it's not really that crucial to their strategy.
I'm giving 1 more credit lately, but 2-4 are completely irrelevant, particularly since you still seem to leave the damn price out of these lists. It was price. How could it not have been the price? It was $600 ****ing dollars. 50% more than the 360. That's the huge difference. That's the early mistake they're still recovering from.

Blu-ray Not A Burden For Sony’s PS3 - DigitalBattle.com
Sony’s Phil Harrison once again makes a rather arrogant statement, claiming that the Blu-ray drive isn’t a burden for the PS3. In an interview with GamePro he says
“There’s this sort of misunderstanding that the Blu-ray disc player for movies is somehow burdening the console with unnecessary cost. That is completely not true”
If there's anything that might deserve to be added, it's programming ease, which led (and continues to lead to) shoddy ports.

and most of its exclusives are primarily single-player.
This is their saving grace, niche as it is.

Worth noting: Nintendo is a perfect representation of 21st-century Japanese gaming. They ignored multiplayer, focused on cute/casual/niche titles, and haven't read the Western gaming community well (except for the newly-discovered casual crowd).
I won't claim to know what Japanese gaming is, but I suspect the Wii represents either Japan's social norms, or the age of the company. Multiplayer isn't completely disregarded – quite the opposite, or it wouldn't have sold as a virus. It's merely (and unwisely) limited to more personal simultaneous co-op gaming, where the other people playing are in the same room with you.

Sony is stuck somewhere in the middle between the two, and it seems to be an accurate reflection of the company's structure. They're not really a Japanese company, but they're definitely not a Western company either. They offer multiplayer (even freely), but haven't stressed it. They attract Western developers, but still court Japanese support. They have one foot in 360's realm, and another in the PS2's realm.
From what I've reading they wanna ditch their non-Japnese prez and get back to the way it was. So you've got that going for you.

I love the system, and I'm excited about the games being released for it. I wish it wasn't so easily passed over, but I supposed people can't miss something when they're too busy with what they already have.
Here's the thing I'm not sure I've asked: What's your compelling argument for buying one over a 360?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2010, 07:23 PM

It'll matter one day, but that day may be too far off. If I'm MS, I'm definitely looking to drop the "720" in the waning years of the PS3.
Good god, I hope they don't call it the 720.

From what I can find on google, it looks like you're right. They – didn't tout Blu-Ray. They didn't tout a damn thing. These assholes were as stupifyingly arrogant about the process as possible.
Kutaragi's comments definitely sound like they were blowing off the competition as a viable threat. Sucks...

Unless you saw those mediocre reviews coming, I am unimpressed.
People were already borderline sick of the FF series, and GT5 took so long that the anticipation had died down to almost nothing. The less-than-stellar reviews were the icing on the cake.

I'm giving 1 more credit lately, but 2-4 are completely irrelevant, particularly since you still seem to leave the damn price out of these lists. It was price. How could it not have been the price? It was $600 ****ing dollars. 50% more than the 360. That's the huge difference. That's the early mistake they're still recovering from.
Okay, okay...here...

5 - THE COST WAS TOO FREAKING HIGH

I completely agree that the cost was ridiculously high, and I remember being shocked after Sony announced the price. As a matter of fact, it was several years until I bought it ($400 was the tipping point for me).

If there's anything that might deserve to be added, it's programming ease, which led (and continues to lead to) shoddy ports.
Some are bad. With others, the differences are unnoticeable. I don't think that's a big deal.

This is their saving grace, niche as it is.
Single-player gaming is niche now? That's sad.

Here's the thing I'm not sure I've asked: What's your compelling argument for buying one over a 360?
When the PS3 is done right, it's amazing. I know I've mentioned it an insane amount of times, but Uncharted 2 is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. The graphics, the story, the voice acting, the action, and even the multiplayer were all done incredibly well. To me, it represents what a modern game should be, and I haven't played a 360 exclusive that feels like quite as deep of an experience.

I've been listing it up like crazy, so I'll continue the trend:

1. The exclusives. You can experience the majority of the 360's top titles on PS3. The rule doesn't apply the other way around. I've already listed those titles, so I won't hammer it into the ground.
2. Free online. I know you're missing features that XBL offers, but a lot of people don't want to pay $60 per year for online play. Yes, I know they can get it for cheaper, but the vast majority of people just eat the $60 charge. Also, the controllers come with built-in rechargeable batteries -- no play and charge kit necessary. There's not as much nickel-and-diming on the Playstation side.
3. Yes, the Blu-ray player. Add in Hulu+ and the ability to install a 500GB hard drive within a few minutes, and you've got a nice media player. The 360's apparently exclusive deal with ESPN3 hurts, but I'm sure it'll come over one day.

Those are the three main reasons. The other issues are all subjective. I love the UI because it gets out of the way. There isn't as much clutter, and you're not bombarded with advertisements. Everything else comes down to the individual user, and I wouldn't recommend the PS3 to everyone. If a person is the type to play multiplayer games almost exclusively, then I'd send them to 360. If their friends all have 360s, then they should go that route too.

However, if a person cares primarily about playing the best games available, multiplayer or not, I'd send them to the PS3. If they're primarily a single-player gamer, then there's really no argument.

Just to be clear, I really don't think the PS3 is "better." I just prefer it (slightly). The fact that I spend so much time on the 360 lately is proof enough that the systems are really neck-and-neck in my book. The choice depends more upon style of game than quality -- I'll play CoD on 360, and RDR on PS3.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 28, 2010, 10:31 PM

I hope I get some credit for this. I was using Wal•Mart for release day purchases, but since introduction of $1 release day shipping that a moot point as well.
Honestly you receive full credit, Amazon should give some gaming bonus for all the business i've done (no joke), its not like i buy one game year.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 29, 2010, 11:23 AM

Good god, I hope they don't call it the 720.
They won't, but much like "Wii 2" media needs an easily identifiable term to refer to specific next gen consoles.

People were already borderline sick of the FF series, and GT5 took so long that the anticipation had died down to almost nothing. The less-than-stellar reviews were the icing on the cake.
Say what you will about GT5, but I bet you in just over a month (i.e. release to year end sales) it became the best selling PS3 game of all time, which kind of says something about the state of gaming on the PS3.

I completely agree that the cost was ridiculously high, and I remember being shocked after Sony announced the price. As a matter of fact, it was several years until I bought it ($400 was the tipping point for me).
See? Makes me wonder how you can focus on minutiae when you yourself couldn't buy it at its original price.

Some are bad. With others, the differences are unnoticeable. I don't think that's a big deal.
Tell that to the people who tried to play BioShock.
There's a decent chunk of PS3 players who have an inferiority complex about how 3rd parties have treated them thus far. Not unjustified, I might add.

Single-player gaming is niche now? That's sad.
Everything is niche. Co-op is niche. Multiplayer is niche. Look at the usage stats from the last page. No particular form of gaming dominates the other, (aside from the online neutered Wii).

I've been listing it up like crazy, so I'll continue the trend:

1. The exclusives. You can experience the majority of the 360's top titles on PS3. The rule doesn't apply the other way around. I've already listed those titles, so I won't hammer it into the ground.
2. Free online. I know you're missing features that XBL offers, but a lot of people don't want to pay $60 per year for online play. Yes, I know they can get it for cheaper, but the vast majority of people just eat the $60 charge. Also, the controllers come with built-in rechargeable batteries -- no play and charge kit necessary. There's not as much nickel-and-diming on the Playstation side.
3. Yes, the Blu-ray player. Add in Hulu+ and the ability to install a 500GB hard drive within a few minutes, and you've got a nice media player. The 360's apparently exclusive deal with ESPN3 hurts, but I'm sure it'll come over one day.
Oh, hey Blu-Ray! Since you seem to have missed the point I've been you over the head with, I was asking for reasons to buy it as a gaming system.

The nickel and diming is good point; A very good one when you consider MSs hardware pricing in general. But otherwise I think my point stands; If someone doesn't care about exclusive games I don't see any compelling reason to buy either system over the other (other than price).

However, if a person cares primarily about playing the best games available, multiplayer or not, I'd send them to the PS3.
You seem to be vaguely referring to exclusives here without explicitly doing so. The "best" games available are on both systems, as far as I know.

Just to be clear, I really don't think the PS3 is "better." I just prefer it (slightly). The fact that I spend so much time on the 360 lately is proof enough that the systems are really neck-and-neck in my book. The choice depends more upon style of game than quality -- I'll play CoD on 360, and RDR on PS3.
See, there it is. Why play RDR on the PS3 over the 360?
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Dec 29, 2010 at 11:30 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 29, 2010, 11:25 AM

Honestly you receive full credit, Amazon should give some gaming bonus for all the business i've done (no joke), its not like i buy one game year.
Sweet. I honestly wonder how they make money on the games they're selling. Yes, giving me $20 towards a future purchase insures I buy from them again, but I'm pretty sure $20 off destroys their margin on a $60 game.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 29, 2010, 11:35 AM

At a former employer i was able to see the purchase cost which on average was $48 for a $60 game while some 1st party titles were as low as $40. I would assume amazon gets sligtly better pricing based on pure purchasing power but even then the profit margin is almost non existent, put $.99 shipping in there and there's not much money being made IMO.
But to your point the key is your loyalty, I used my last $20 twords a new silver xbox controller (w/ the transforming d-pad) and I'm positive there's well over $20 mark up in that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2010, 01:13 PM

The beginning of the end for the Nintendo 3DS? This could be a PR disaster in the making.

3D Games Can Ruin Children's Eyes, Nintendo Warns

3D is the hot new media trend as of late -- but is it safe? Not for children under 6, warns Nintendo.

In anticipation of the impending Nintendo World 2011 and the launch of its upcoming portable console, the Nintendo 3DS, the influential video game company has posted a cautionary note on its Japanese website.

“Vision of children under the age of six has been said [to be in the] developmental stage,” Nintendo warned. The company fears that 3D content “delivers 3D images with different left and right images, [which] has a potential impact on the growth of children’s eyes.”

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 29, 2010, 01:26 PM

I'll put it this way. If this cuts the 3DS sales in half from the DS, isn't it still a success?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2010, 02:16 PM

Sure, but I don't think Nintendo is hoping for 50% of the DS' sales.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 29, 2010, 02:17 PM

Well, we'll see how big of a scare this is. I don't know what the demographic breakdown of the DS is, but that'd really help determine if this is something NIntendo should be really worried about.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2010, 02:33 PM

In our church with over 100 kids under 12 years old, I'd say 60-80% of them own a DS. The 12-18 range own iPhones, iPod Touches, and 360s, with little interest in handhelds. I couldn't find a real demographic breakdown using the Googles.

The question is how much the story will freak out parents. If they bail out, then Nintendo could have a decent-sized problem on its hands. It'll still sell -- it's just a question of whether it will be the ridiculous success the DS was.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2010, 10:58 AM

Thursday News: Last of 2010
Likely the last news I'll be posting here this year.

PSP is Japan's best-selling console of 2010, Pokemon Black/White the top game | Joystiq
Again, the PSP is not a console it's a handheld. But the important part is for a flagging platform, it outsold the DS, which seems impressive from a US Perspective. The full numbers below.

Japanese hardware sales, 2010:
PSP -- 2,729,718
DS -- 2,719,544
Wii -- 1,592,563
PS3 -- 1,542,258
Xbox 360 -- 231,258
PS2 -- 83,030

The PS3 May Have Just Had Its Front Door Kicked In
Forget jailbreak devices; the same team who broke the Wii wide open now claims to have done the same for the PlayStation 3, leaving Sony's console at the mercy of homebrewers and pirates alike.
Sony should be proud they lasted this long.

The Year In Disappointments
Top o' the List? FFXIII.

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2010, 05:10 PM

The Year In Disappointments
Top o' the List? FFXIII.
Yeah. Sure, it has hours and hours (and hours) of gameplay, but it's boring.

Crackdown 2 was a POS. They totally phoned in the sequel, which is disappointing. One trend I have been noticing, and is very evident in that article, is the sheer amount of buggy games that are coming out lately. EA and other publishers like to hide behind the 'release and patch later' mantra, but if LEGO Harry Potter or Fallout 3/New Vegas are any indication, they don't even live up to that promise.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2010, 06:41 PM

Crackdown 2 was a POS. They totally phoned in the sequel, which is disappointing. One trend I have been noticing, and is very evident in that article, is the sheer amount of buggy games that are coming out lately. EA and other publishers like to hide behind the 'release and patch later' mantra, but if LEGO Harry Potter or Fallout 3/New Vegas are any indication, they don't even live up to that promise.
Amen, amen, amen. This is one of the most irritating aspects of the online era. When you push out an unfinished product, knowing good and well how shoddy it is, then you either A: don't take enough pride in your product to delay it, or (much more likely) B: your publisher is pushing to you meet the release date, and anticipates the public won't care enough to not purchase it.

As long as we keep paying for 'em, publishers will keep spitting them out unfinished.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2010, 06:53 PM

Yep. This is a trend in consumer electronics as a whole. Push as much stuff out as you can, don't worry about quality at launch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2010, 07:02 PM

I blame accountants and executives for this. Release dates have become sacred cows and I'm sure they've figured out that they can split teams up to work between patches and DLC post-release.

Of course the problem is when publishers do delay games, 9/10 it's because the game is a bigger mess than anyone imagined. I guarantee you EPIC wanted to release GoW3 this November, and I hope the push back to spring is them learning from their mistakes on 2 and not that it, too, is a wreck.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2010, 07:17 PM

As long as we keep paying for 'em, publishers will keep spitting them out unfinished.
Reviewers are only lately starting to put emphasis on this in reviews. In the past unless a game was completely or near unplayable, it would just be noted as "lacking polish".

Edit: The other problem is that with the focus on multiplayer gaming, that portion of games always receives a more cursory review. So if there are problems, they are less likely to be picked up on unless they are glaring.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Dec 30, 2010 at 07:30 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules