Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 188)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 25, 2011, 11:08 AM

I don't have links, but two higher profile title demos out on XBL today: Bulletstorm and Crysis 2.

Crysis 2 is a multi "beta". Sek, if you have 2 GB free, I suggest you try it. It sounded like it might appeal to you.

Edit: Links!

Crysis
Crysis 2 Multiplayer Closed Beta - Xbox.com

Bulletstorm
Bulletstorm™ Demo - Xbox.com

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2011, 11:14 AM

Hmmm, interesting, might have to check that out. Doubtful I have enough space though....

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2011, 11:43 AM

Yeah, I've seen trailers for both.

Crysis hasn't put out much other than one or two trailers.

There has been alot more hype about Bulletstorm. But Bulletstorm seems to hype the "skill" of shooting. Ie. You have to shoot your opponent in different ways - headshot, nutshot, shoot and kick, shoot and punch, etc., etc. - to achieve a better score.

Bulletstorm looks like it may get monotonous after awhile.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Yeah, I've seen trailers for both.

Crysis hasn't put out much other than one or two trailers.

There has been alot more hype about Bulletstorm. But Bulletstorm seems to hype the "skill" of shooting. Ie. You have to shoot your opponent in different ways - headshot, nutshot, shoot and kick, shoot and punch, etc., etc. - to achieve a better score.

Bulletstorm looks like it may get monotonous after awhile.
I was thinking the same thing. I can only imagine what the achievements are going to be like. That may be a rental game. Still trying to decide.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 25, 2011, 12:05 PM

There's nothing about Bulletstorm that screams release day or full price.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 25, 2011, 03:23 PM

I usually avoid posting this guy's shit, but since he's pulling an epic troll and moving from baseless, misguided predictions to baseless, misguided opinions, what the hell.

Pachter: PS3/PC Black Ops players are 'crybabies'- Destructoid
Industry analyst Michael "pulsing veins" Pachter has slammed Gamers' Voice, the organization that filed a formal complain on behalf of PS3 and PC players who felt they got a raw deal with a buggy, broken, inferior version of Call of Duty: Black Ops.

”All games are buggy, some more so than others. Have you tried Fallout: New Vegas? Buggiest game ever," retorts the hard-nippled stud. "I suppose this helps to explain why the game sold only 20 million copies instead of 25 million, and why it received only a 90 metacritic rating instead of 95 (sarcasm intended, in case you didn't pick up on it). If people don't like it, they can take it back to retail for a refund. Most bugs are patched within a reasonable time, and any serious gamer expects bugs."

Pachter wrote off the complaints, saying that the upset gamers "sound like a crybaby" to him. He put responsibility on game reviewers and the consumer, saying they have all the relevant information on a game before making a purchase ... which would be true if most game reviewers weren't held to embargoes, or simply not given review copies in time. Ooooor given the Xbox 360 version, which is the only version Activision cares about.[/b]
I don't even feel like dissecting all the stupidity here.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2011, 05:22 PM

Just because we "make do" with a buggy product because we love the game (I've done this With Wolfenstein and another game), doesn't mean we should have to! I think some game developers are getting away with too buggy a product. And some take there time delivering patches!

They are supposed to test these games! Some of them don't seem to be tested too well or don't know what the meaning of testing is!

ok, I'm done with my rant.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2011, 06:06 PM

You're paying to test the game for them.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2011, 06:12 PM

The system is broken. Publishers expect developers to finish games in impossible deadlines. Maybe if more people would take a Valve/Blizzard approach we'd have less crap to whine about.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
The system is broken. Publishers expect developers to finish games in impossible deadlines. Maybe if more people would take a Valve/Blizzard approach we'd have less crap to whine about.
Bingo.

[developer rant] They decided to charge more this generation and give us a worse product. When you take my money I have every @$#%#@ right to complain if that game is broken. I did the same for Fallout Vegas and I've done the same for this game. They are just gonna cop out and say we can just take it back? Anyone that bought this at launch I doubt has a receipt to even take it back, much less if they will even accept it after 30 days.

If you want to step up and get money all day for used games now, you damn well better setup and support it. I don't want to hear no excuses or even finger pointing. I'm at the point where I don't care who is the blame, FIX IT![/rant]

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2011, 12:03 PM

Well, we have two problems here. First, reviewers can't do their job properly when it comes to grading online features. Publishers have no incentive to give early access; Grading multi can only harm them, never help them. There's always the threat of piracy of that early access. Then there's the realities of early multiplayer access; The player populations are low and wouldn't give a completely accurate picture.

Second, publishers have been selling online gameplay under "gameplay experience can change while online" which is just the video games world of the incessant BETA tag we see slapped on all software nowadays. If doesn't work properly they just give you the "Hey, don't be pissed, man. The online is just a free extra. And we specifically told you your gameplay experience could change online."

Until publishers can be held liable/take responsibility for the quality of their online gameplay or reviewers start picking up the ball and publishing scathing in-depth reviews of multiplayer after the game has come out (first month sales aren't everything, after all), I don't see anything changing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2011, 12:05 PM

Max Anarchy announced, featuring MadWorld's Jack- Destructoid
Platinum Games has announced a brand new game that may or may not be some form of followup to MadWorld. It's called Max Anarchy and it'll be the studio's first online combat game.

Max Anarchy will be coming to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and a screenshot in Famitsu shows characters battling with chainsaws and torches. Of particular note is the inclusion of MadWorld protagonist Jack, which could indicate some sort of franchise continuation. Unlike MadWorld, this particular game will be in full color.
Weird, they left out any mention of the Wii for some reason...

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2011, 12:28 PM

Sorry for the dumb question. Just when did COD WaW get modded? I was playing yesterday and the host had an obviously modded game. (invulnerability, sped up etc.) (PS3)
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2011, 12:34 PM

Don't know, but since the PS3 crack it sounds like everything has been going to hell. Was it one lobby or multiple lobbies?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2011, 12:35 PM

I'm guessing shortly after the PS3 was hacked a few (2?) weeks ago. Should be fixed shortly.

That game is pretty much all you play, isn't it?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2011, 01:06 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the game has received a single comment so far, but I'm having a hard time not picking up DC Universe Online. Most of the common posters here are 360-only, but as a very casual comics fan (but hardcore Batman fan), this game has me looking its way far too often for a title that will cost $15 per month.

I've never played a MMORPG, but I'm thinking about diving in. The problem is that it would basically kill any Black Ops time I have. If you guys don't see me for two months, then you know what happened.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2011, 01:10 PM

Oh yeah, gave the Bulletstorm demo a twirl last night. The Gears of War style destructed city feels like old hat, not digging a face run button, and the leash is as annoying to use as I expected.

but I'll have to try it a few more times yet to really know.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2011, 01:11 PM

I've enjoyed MMOs in the past, but the problem is they're very addictive/require grinding. It seems like most nights you're desperately trying to get something that you'll use to help you get something else, etc. etc. rather than having fun.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2011, 02:51 PM

The floor looks amazing. However the pic suffers from jaggies at full size.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2011, 04:15 PM

PlayStation phone dubbed Xperia Play, looks decent for gaming

Sony still hasn't announced this officially and engadget got it's hands on a working prototype? Holy **** is Sony retarded.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2011, 05:13 PM

Yeah, I know, I'm bombing the thread with one-offs.

Since we've been dissatisfied with Black Ops I've been giving thought to what I'd like to see from an FPS. I loved the assault mode from TS2, which from what I can tell is what Battlefield's Rush mode emulates. However, how cool if this could be combined with persistence? (I.e., you try to win a larger over-all battlefield like a real war)

Hybrid plans "persistent online World War" Xbox 360 News - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net
You'll have to choose a hero from one of the two factions and then go at it online, helping your faction capture territories and strive for total global domination.

5th Cell is promising a single unified world server to help achieve its vision.
Apparently it's 3rd person shooter, but it looks like things are slowly heading in the direction I'm thinking.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
You're paying to test the game for them.
Yup. Since marketing and finance people have been running game dev companies (instead of ex programmers) meeting deadlines is far more important than quality.

If anyone thinks that its different in any other industry, please give me examples.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2011, 11:14 AM

Your first look at Sony's 'NGP' handheld | Joystiq

I don't tink this looks like any other leaked images I posted...

Breaking: PS3 firmware 3.56 released | Joystiq
WOOHOO!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Your first look at Sony's 'NGP' handheld | Joystiq

I don't tink this looks like any other leaked images I posted...
Tell me it's not pretty. The fact that the pictures didn't leak beforehand is amazing. Also, the PS Suite was unexpected.

(and Trophies! Wooo!)

Auto-download means it probably completed a few minutes ago and will be ready when I get home.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Auto-download means it probably completed a few minutes ago and will be ready when I get home.
Isn't that a Playstation Plus only feature?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 12:35 PM

Isn't that a Playstation Plus only feature?
Could be. I need to list the games I've received for free and/or heavily discounted because of PS+.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2011, 12:40 PM

Could be.
PS3™ | Automatic Download

Yes, I'm right. So you have to pay not to be disturbed by Sony's OCD.

On the flip-side, MSs lack of this features implementation (if it's possible) is certainly one of the few features Live is missing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 12:51 PM

I still maintain that PS+ is a tremendous deal. Perhaps the auto-download feature should be included by default, but at least they're still playing online multiplayer for free.

[EDIT] Maybe "tremendous" is a stretch. I'm going with "really good."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2011, 12:54 PM

Considering I never hear anything about it, I'm guessing it might be "ok" at best.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 01:39 PM

It's difficult to hear about the outside world when your head is so far up MSoft's sphincter.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2011, 01:42 PM

Don't forget, Joystiq, kotaku, Destructoid, ars, and Gamasutra, since I read those nearly daily.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 01:50 PM

The same could be said of them.

[EDIT] Well....maybe not Kotaku. You do at least see the PlayStation Store updates posted on Kotaku every week, yes?
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jan 27, 2011 at 01:57 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2011, 01:55 PM

Now I can't tell if you're being facetious or idiotic.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 01:58 PM

Actually, just bitter.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2011, 01:59 PM

To break out an old political chestnut, reality has a pro-360 bias.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2011, 02:02 PM

Adding fuel to the fire:
Norway: Sony's PS3 "updates" actually downgrade system

I have this sneaking suspicion that the PS3 is about to have a renaissance gaming year full of success, however it's going get an absolute pummeling in the media (all of which will be true).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 02:07 PM

Reality also says 25 million more people bought Wiis than 360s.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2011, 02:09 PM

Reality also says 25 million more people bought Wiis than 360s.
You must be hurting if you're resorting to using the Wii for counter-arguments.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2011, 04:04 AM

Since when is a thread too old to bump up on these forums? I just tried posting in an old Dead Space thread, but it said it was too old to bump up. Last post was from Sept '09.

Anyways...

So I finally got Dead Space along with the sequel. Just played the first mission on the first game and I'm already on my nerves! I haven't jumped out of my seat from playing a game since Resident Evil 2 (the part where the bald zombie in the green trench coat smashed through the wall the 2nd time while you're going down the hallway after you just shot him down).

Nothing like a scary survival horror game.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2011, 04:34 AM

You have seen nothing yet. Keep going... I still need to pick up the second one. I might replay the first one again before I pick it up as it's been a little while.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Since when is a thread too old to bump up on these forums? I just tried posting in an old Dead Space thread, but it said it was too old to bump up. Last post was from Sept '09.

Anyways...

So I finally got Dead Space along with the sequel. Just played the first mission on the first game and I'm already on my nerves! I haven't jumped out of my seat from playing a game since Resident Evil 2 (the part where the bald zombie in the green trench coat smashed through the wall the 2nd time while you're going down the hallway after you just shot him down).

Don't ask why, but even though i havent touched Uncharted or GodOfWar(I & II), i want to try Dead Space. Did you get the PS3 version ? If so, is it fairly stable and stuff ?

Cheers

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
You have seen nothing yet. Keep going...
Yeah, I heard. Can't wait! I think it even adds more to the element of surprise and experience that I'm playing the game in the dark with the volume up.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Did you get the PS3 version ? If so, is it fairly stable and stuff ?
I don't own a PS3, just a 360.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post

Two things. Dead Space is most certainly not a survival horror game, a horror game maybe, but not a survival horror. It's more like Doom 3 than a proper SH (Like Silent Hill, Resident Evil, etc). The first weapon you get can easily take you through the entire game if you use all your upgrades on it, which may sound like a complaint but I actually thought that was pretty cool.

Secondly, that game impressed me more with it's interface, sharp controls, and overall level of polish than anything else. Yeah, it has a lot of jump-out-and-scare-ya moments, but it really doesn't instill horror in me....besides one point much later in the game which is indeed a terrifying experience.

The first game that made me jump, and unplug the controller, was RE2 on PS1. Specifically the part where you are walking down the hallway with boarded up windows and a bunch of zombies arms punch through all of a sudden.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2011, 01:05 PM

Well, it's been hacked already.

I do feel some sympathy towards Sony's position here. I suppose they can't do nothing, but anything they actually do is purely masturbatory.

parsley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2011, 04:25 PM

NGP as Neo-Geo Pocket?
With Great Routers Comes Great Responsibility

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2011, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Dead Space is most certainly not a survival horror game, a horror game maybe, but not a survival horror. It's more like Doom 3 than a proper SH (Like Silent Hill, Resident Evil, etc). The first weapon you get can easily take you through the entire game if you use all your upgrades on it, which may sound like a complaint but I actually thought that was pretty cool.
I guess that depends on your definition of survival horror. The way I see it, you're trying to escape the ship by surviving from hordes of Necromorphs and other horrific crap.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jan 31, 2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Two things. Dead Space is most certainly not a survival horror game, a horror game maybe, but not a survival horror. It's more like Doom 3 than a proper SH (Like Silent Hill, Resident Evil, etc). The first weapon you get can easily take you through the entire game if you use all your upgrades on it, which may sound like a complaint but I actually thought that was pretty cool.

Secondly, that game impressed me more with it's interface, sharp controls, and overall level of polish than anything else. Yeah, it has a lot of jump-out-and-scare-ya moments, but it really doesn't instill horror in me....besides one point much later in the game which is indeed a terrifying experience.
These are the same reasons i fell in love with Dead Space, mostly because its not a true survival horror game, in general the Resident Evil series has bored me and Dead Space felt like a true evolution of third person shooter and the horror genre.
I just picked up Dead Space 2 off Amazon, although i see no reason its a release day or full price pick up, with nothing else really exciting coming through the pipeline, It will at least give me something to play.

In other news, since i have been MIA for a while, what is our general consensus for the "next game", I'm sure like Dakar has said we've all looked at Homefront, Bullet storm, and Crysis 2. Where does everyone stand?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
...i havent touched Uncharted

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2011, 11:58 AM

So... Jawbone ...tell us about Dance Central.

---

Report: PS3 getting cloud saving in firmware update 3.60 | Joystiq
According to the report, the feature (called "Online Saving") gives developers the opportunity to let players set up their save files on a remote server, preserving the precious, precious space on their own hard drives, and allowing players to access save data from multiple consoles.

These developers also reportedly explained that the feature will only be made available to PlayStation Plus subscribers, or, as they'll henceforth be called, the "Save File Insured."
Mehhhhhhhhhh

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 12:20 PM

So... Jawbone ...tell us about Dance Central.
HAHAHAAAAA...

I knew it was just a matter of time before someone asked. I bought the Kinect and Dance Central "for my wife" for her birthday. She's been begging for one.

But I can't lie...the game is fun. We have to move our couch back about 4 feet and get our coffee table out of the way, but it's going to be interesting having people over to play.

I can tell you've never lost a save.

I'm curious to see how fast it is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules