Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 189)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
HAHAHAAAAA...

I knew it was just a matter of time before someone asked.
Well, you had the time to come forward and confess on your own and chose not to. Telling.

I bought the Kinect and Dance Central "for my wife" for her birthday. She's been begging for one.
It's amusing that when you decided to proclaim that you would sit back and wait before you bought one, this is the exact scenario I saw being played out.

Also, you need to stop your wife from watching Oprah.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well, you had the time to come forward and confess on your own and chose not to. Telling.
Look, I'm not proud of it...

*cough*

It's amusing that when you decided to proclaim that you would sit back and wait before you bought one, this is the exact scenario I saw being played out.
Was going to until my wife saw the freaking Zumba Fitness advertisement (she's been doing Zumba for a year).

Luckily for my claims that I'm going to wait on the PSP2, she already saw me reading the article on Kotaku and just said, "No."

Also, you need to stop your wife from watching Oprah.
Done. We don't get traditional TV.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2011, 12:35 PM

Was going to until my wife saw the freaking Zumba Fitness advertisement (she's been doing Zumba for a year).
Zumba. I just learned this buzzword a few months ago. Must every fad have a dumb sounding name?

Luckily for my claims that I'm going to wait on the PSP2, she already saw me reading the article on Kotaku and just said, "No."
I can't wait to hear about the loophole created for its future purchase. I'm guessing xmas gift.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 01:19 PM

Zumba. I just learned this buzzword a few months ago. Must every fad have a dumb sounding name?
Billy Blanks thinks you could use an attitude adjustment.

I can't wait to hear about the loophole created for its future purchase. I'm guessing xmas gift.
Nope. We limit our total Christmas gifts to each other to $150.

I'm leaning more towards "great way to stay connected to the students."

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2011, 02:42 PM

Can you record your performances in Lips and then import them into Dance Central?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
In other news, since i have been MIA for a while, what is our general consensus for the "next game", I'm sure like Dakar has said we've all looked at Homefront, Bullet storm, and Crysis 2. Where does everyone stand?
You need to get your bitch ass back on Reach.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
You need to get your bitch ass back on Reach.
So we can blame losing Reach to the covenant on Kevin Bogues?!?
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Can you record your performances in Lips and then import them into Dance Central?
That was just 100% uncalled for.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 1, 2011, 05:23 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2011, 11:22 AM

How To Stop The Simplest Form Of Video Game Cheating

Treyarch: “negative” gamers are industry’s greatest problem | VG247
Treyarch community manager Josh Olin has said the games industry’s biggest challenge is the culture of “negative” gamers.

Speaking to NowGamer, Olin highlighted the risk of innovation in gaming culture.

“Too many developers who try new things are getting burned by “pundits” and angry entitled fans who look to be contrarian, sometimes simply for the sake of being contrarian,” he said.

“The only thing this attitude aims to achieve is stunt that creativity and innovation even further, which is something that no rational gamer looking to be entertained would want to do.”

Olin said the “social culture” of gaming is moving in a “negative direction”.

“More and more gamers seem to forget what this industry is all about. It’s a creative industry – the most creative form of entertainment in existence,” he added.
This is great in so many ways.

First, this is one of the dudes who I said sounded like they had contempt when replying in their own forums. I think making a gamer COmmunity Manger is smart. Not putting him through some public relations classes, however, is dumb.

Second, someone working for the B-Developer of a sixth-generation franchise funded by a publisher known for yearly installments of all its intellectual properties is probably one of the last people that should be talking about "creativity." Seriously, get a grip.

Third, the problem isn't the gamers (exclusively). This is a problem that arises from the internet (communication is easy) and entertainment (always put under a microscope).
3B: You're working on a blockbuster franchise. This comes with the territory. See: Prequels, The Star Wars.

Four: Don't dismiss all criticism just because a good portion of it is poor. (Ex. There is an excess of threads for Black Ops complaining about Ghost being overpowered. This simply isn't true. However, if you examine the heart of the problem – that the removal of Stopping Power has led to an increase of its use, you see there are some valid criticisms to be made).

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2011, 12:17 PM

It sounds like someone is getting a little touchy about the feedback they are receiving about their game.

I think Dakar's right, this guy needs some PR classes. He has no idea how to deal with the public and media.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2011, 12:40 PM

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 requires PSN connection (not for co-op, for DRM!) | Joystiq
With yesterday's release of Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 on PSN, the Big C made sure to remedy that shortcoming with the follow notice on the game's listing: "NOTE: You must log-in to the PlayStation Network each time to play the game." While Final Fight: Double Impact could at least boast an online cooperative element (in both its Final Fight and Magic Sword offerings!), Rearmed 2's co-op is an adamantly offline-only affair, like its predecessor.
Wow.

I've been meaning to say for a while, the era of the console providing some notable advantages over the PC are pretty much over (short-lived as it was). It's down to standardized hardware and a few exclusives games now.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2011, 01:16 PM

The 'put game in and it works' aspect will always be the trump card for me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The 'put game in and it works' aspect will always be the trump card for me.
That's what I mean by "standardized hardware". No having to rush and look if the game's specs match my own.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2011, 03:18 PM

Yeah but you will always have developers making stuff for every platform they can (Consoles, PCs, Tablets, handhelds and phones) and as long as we have multiple platforms there will be ported code. This will always give us bugs up the ying-yang for years to come.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2011, 11:41 AM

Homefront arriving one week late on March 15 | Joystiq

Here's how I see this playing out:
• No pre-release demo
• Weak sales
• Demo released to try and spur some sales

Edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2011, 11:59 AM

Thanks for linking to Joystiq, where I found...

Sony posts strong Q3 profits (+135%!) in PlayStation group

Despite a small 6% dip in quarterly sales year-over-year, "due to a decrease in sales in the game business resulting primarily from unfavorable foreign exchange rates," Sony's Networked Products & Services group, which houses its PlayStation brand, posted an impressive ¥45.7 billion (rougly $564 million) in profits for the third quarter period, ended December 31, an impressive 135% boost over the prior-year period. "The game business benefited from significant cost reductions of PlayStation 3 ("PS3") hardware and higher unit sales of PS3 software," the earnings report reads.
And then the not-as-good news...

Sony's Hirai: PlayStation Network not yet profitable

Sony has yet to make the free-to-use PlayStation Network profitable, Sony's Kazuo Hirai told Reuters Japan. However, he expects the PSN to start making money in the following fiscal year. According to the report, PSN sales nearly doubled in the closing fiscal year, reaching 36 billion yen. Looking forward three years, Hirai expects revenue to increase nearly tenfold, to 300 billion yen.

In addition to increased game and video sales, it's likely PlayStation Plus -- Sony's premium content subscription service -- will contribute greatly to the overall profitability of the network.
I do have to say that their online offerings have increased exponentially since the service launched. There's a massive selection of games, and some, Mass Effect 2 being one, are offered as on-demand titles upon release date.

Hirai can be optimistic all he wants -- it's time for them to start turning a profit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2011, 12:04 PM

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play ('PlayStation Phone') now has a commercial | Joystiq
Sony Ericcson's still unannounced PlayStation-branded smartphone -- the "Xperia Play," or "PlayStation Phone" to us normal folks -- now appears in a commercial that found its way to YouTube.
WHAT THE ****!?!

Seriously, at this point stores could start selling these and Sony would be mum on the matter.
With this kind of stubborn refusal to acknowledge shit in what I can only assume is a stubborn attempt to adhere to some kind of internal timeline that has been thoroughly raped I feel like these people deserve to be in third place. Adapt to the real world, idiots.

I'm going to get an aneurysm watching this train wreck.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2011, 12:06 PM

Filed under "Who gives a shit."

Game (and to a lesser degree hardware) sales are interesting because they represent what gamers are doing. I could care less how the companies are doing since it's rarely is of any benefit to us.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2011, 01:37 PM

Some Sony love for Jawbone.
Review: Killzone 3- Destructoid
Killzone 3 is as close to perfect as online shooters get, and I do not say that lightly. The single-player could still use a little bit of work, but its faults pale in comparison to the amount of entertainment that the multiplayer provides, not to mention that the story mode itself really provides some greatness when it needs to. I don't think the PlayStation 3 has ever had quite such a rounded, satisfactory package as this, with this level of polish, refinement and pure, simple, unpretentious action.

Killzone 3 is the shooter to beat.

Score: 10 -- Flawless Victory (10s are as close to perfect as you will get in a genre or on a platform. Pure, untarnished videogame ecstasy.)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2011, 03:01 PM

Yes, indeed.

Killzone 2's multiplayer was fantastic. If I had the time/desire to spread out the love, I'd hop on board with 3. I'm having difficulty finding time to even squeak over to BC2, though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2011, 03:20 PM

Major Nelson took time out of his busy schedule to post the Live Top Ten for the first time since December 6th. And oh yeah, it's the yearly (a month late!) too.
Top Xbox LIVE Games of 2010 - Xbox Live's Major Nelson

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles of 2010 (based on UU’s during the first week of launch)
1 Call of Duty: Black Ops
2 Halo: Reach
3 Red Dead Redemption
4 Fable III
5 Battlefield: Bad Co. 2
6 Medal of Honor
7 Mass Effect 2
8 FIFA Soccer 11
9 Fallout: New Vegas
10 BioShock 2
11 Madden NFL 11
12 Splinter Cell Conviction
13 Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
14 Dead Rising 2
15 Kinect Adventures!
16 NBA 2K11
17 Crackdown 2
18 Aliens vs Predator
19 Mafia II
20 Army of TWO: TFD

If it looks a little odd, it's because Major decided to move the goal posts and exclude games not released last year, so Modern Warfare 2 (and possibly other CoDs) crushing the competition is woefully absent.
(Also, Fable III beat Bad Company!?)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2011, 03:24 PM

If it looks a little odd, it's because Major decided to move the goal posts and exclude games not released last year, so Modern Warfare 2 (and possibly other CoDs) crushing the competition is woefully absent.
(Also, Fable III beat Bad Company!?)
Maybe he's being careful that the 360 doesn't start looking like little more than a CoD box. God knows WaW and possibly MW1 would still be on that list as well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2011, 03:30 PM

Maybe he's being careful that the 360 doesn't start looking like little more than a CoD box. God knows WaW and possibly MW1 would still be on that list as well.
That's a good theory (I also think that's why the list went to 20 from 10. 4 of the games were always CoDs). He's slyly alluding that this is all we're gonna see in the comments section (in reply to several requests for the real ranks).

I say embrace reality and your gamers.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2011, 03:37 PM

FPS fans are making the system very, very popular. I guess that doesn't fit in with the Kinect push.

I've never been much of a Major Nelson fan, although he remains in my RSS reader.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2011, 03:46 PM

I don't have an opinion on the person, but his blog is a half-assed sham. If you can find the time to post about all the shit you're selling (including the insulting priced GoD) multiple times a week, you can find time to post the Top Ten list (which gets some of the most hits on his blog, I might add) once a week.

The best part is in November he said this:
During the alternate weeks I don’t post this list, I’ll be posting a brand new list showing activity on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace, specifically the top items purchased. This new schedule will allow me to show a new dimension of LIVE Activity. Look for that new list next week.
It has yet to materialize, as far as I can tell.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2011, 03:50 PM

He's too busy fingerpainting.

He's also a photography enthusiast, so I'll give him a pass.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2011, 03:53 PM

Maybe you two should play Dance Central together.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2011, 03:55 PM

Your jealousy is beginning to peek through your mocking exterior.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2011, 11:10 AM

Friday News

So, the Killzone meta-review is a little more sedate.
Metareview: Killzone 3 | Joystiq
1UP (B+): "It's definitely one of the better multiplayer games available on PlayStation 3 and easily one of the best-looking games available to console gamers today."
Destructoid (10/10): "Killzone 3 is the shooter to beat."
Eurogamer (8/10): "Killzone 3 is a powerful, impressive game that sets an imposing standard for Sony's 3D, Move-enabled future output; it's just a shame that in doing so, it's lost just a little of what made the series stand out in the first place."
GameSpot (8.5/10): "Killzone 3 isn't the game it could have been, but when it comes to capturing the madness of larger-than-life planetside battles, few games do it better."
GameTrailers (9.4/10): "Killzone hasn't forgotten its roots -- it's just improved its fundamentals in every way that matters."
IGN (8.5/10): "This may not be the best game on the PS3, but it's a fantastic option for shooter fans, and the type of title that non-PS3 owners are sure to envy."

EEDAR weighs in on NGP, speculates $299 to $349 price for Wi-Fi only model | Joystiq
Sometimes I'm perturbed that my off the cuff predictions are so in synch with paid better informed analysts.

N-Control Avenger for 360 launching at $40, absorbing PS3 controllers soon | Joystiq
Posting because the price seems unusually low.

Battlefield 3 Trailer Shows Leap in Destruction, Fall Release
Another challenger has appeared!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2011, 11:24 AM

Whoops, forgot to post this for the Jawboner:

Halo: Combat Evolved remake coming this holiday | Joystiq
Joystiq has learned that the previously rumored remake of Halo: Combat Evolved will indeed launch this holiday season for Xbox 360 with a full visual overhaul. Sources explain that the re-release is not Bungie's 2001 Xbox game simply running at a higher resolution -- it's being remade with new art assets. While Halo's audio will likely remain unaltered, the controls will allow for more recent Halo configurations.

The Halo: Combat Evolved remake is allegedly being developed by New Jersey-based Saber Interactive, the company behind TimeShift and Namco's upcoming Inversion, but we've been unable to confirm the nature of the engine powering it. We understand that it's something other than the Reach engine.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2011, 11:48 AM

Ahhh, the good ol' days of Halo. I assume the Xbox 360 version was the same as the first Halo version on Mac, where vehicles were invincible - you could kill the driver, but you couldn't destroy the vehicle.

I might just buy it for nostalgia's sake. It would be great to see those epic landscapes again.
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2011, 02:42 PM

[2011 video game award prediction]

"And the most original cover for a video game goes to..."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2011, 02:49 PM

Nailed it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2011, 06:48 PM

So, the Killzone meta-review is a little more sedate.
Metareview: Killzone 3 | Joystiq
Saw a few other reviews after reading your linked Destructoid article. Most sites were a little less praising, but the sentiment seems to be that it's a good single-player game with great multiplayer. I downloaded the multiplayer beta, but have yet to hop on.

[QUOTE]EEDAR weighs in on NGP, speculates $299 to $349 price for Wi-Fi only model | Joystiq
Sometimes I'm perturbed that my off the cuff predictions are so in synch with paid better informed analysts.[QUOTE]

C'mooooon, $300!

(not a chance).

So many games...

Woo! Sold.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 7, 2011, 11:38 AM

Sony’s Answer To PS3 Piracy: Serial Codes? | Edge Magazine
Dutch website claims Sony will introduce PC-like unique code system to thwart PS3 pirates.

Sony will respond to the recent publication online of PlayStation 3’s root keys by shipping new games with a unique serial code.

Dutch website PS3-Sense says a source has told them that all future PS3 game discs are to carry a unique code, with players forced to input it onto the system for the game to launch. The source claims a similar system already exists on Sony’s online service, PlayStation Network.

The code can reportedly be used up to five times, a move that will not only prevent piracy but will also impact on the increasing trade in pre-owned games, as retailers will have no idea how many times a code has been used when a customer tries to trade the game in.
I doubt this would happen. This is not suicide, but it certainly would be a bad, bad move.

Somewhat related, the new design for gawker sites (including the whatever the opposite of beloved is, kotaku) is horrific. Half the time it doesn't even load properly.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2011, 01:20 PM

Sony’s Answer To PS3 Piracy: Serial Codes? | Edge Magazine

I doubt this would happen. This is not suicide, but it certainly would be a bad, bad move.

Somewhat related, the new design for gawker sites (including the whatever the opposite of beloved is, kotaku) is horrific. Half the time it doesn't even load properly.
The sad thing is, I have a feeling if the PS3 does go that route, Microsoft will likely follow suit.

As for the new Gawker sites... ugh. Sometimes doing an unconventional design can be good, but what a ****-up of usability that is. In what universe was 'one post at a time' a good idea?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 7, 2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
The sad thing is, I have a feeling if the PS3 does go that route, Microsoft will likely follow suit.
God no. This would be a move of desperation, not opportunity.

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
As for the new Gawker sites... ugh. Sometimes doing an unconventional design can be good, but what a ****-up of usability that is. In what universe was 'one post at a time' a good idea?
It seems like a transparent grab for more clicks, best I can figure. The lack of synopses for the articles is doing the opposite for me, however.

SOmeone suggested going to /classic to get the older format, but it looks like they already disabled it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 7, 2011, 03:14 PM

Gamasutra - News - Exclusive: NPD Reveals 2010 U.S. New Game Charts Per Platform

A 3rd Party at the top? Say it so!
...it ain't so:
Specifically, the charts are limited to games released for the first time in 2010, and arranged per-platform, so they provide a distinctly different perspective than previously released charts.
Still, give the Wii credit. In it's twilight years 3rd parties have finally found their place, and we're not just talking exercise/dance/party games.

I'm a little surprised GT5 clocks in at 7... Apparently it's status as best-selling PS3 game of all-time was widely influenced by sales outside the US.
Otherwise, that's three, count 'em three, exclusives out of 10 (Though an argument could be made to count FF as a fourth).

Gama refers to this a shooter fever. He has a point, though I'd note that the 360 has the same amount of multiplayer focused FPSs in it's Top Ten as the PS3. I'd also go further and point out it has nearly the same amount of exclusives as well (two, with Mass effect another arguable three).

Overall, if you exclude exclusives (and semi-excluives), the systems share six titles out of six or seven.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2011, 04:07 PM

Otherwise, that's three, count 'em three, exclusives out of 10 (Though an argument could be made to count FF as a fourth).
I only see two. God of War 3 and Gran Turismo 5. What's the 3rd?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 7, 2011, 04:11 PM

You're right. Between reading the article and posting it a few hours later I counted FFXIII twice.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2011, 11:26 AM

Battlefield 3 details are sounding good so far- Destructoid
DICE senior gameplay designer Alan Kertz has been talking up a storm on Twitter about Battlefield 3. The floodgates have opened, and fan-submitted questions are all over the place. Thankfully, TechSpotLight has gathered up some of the better tidbits. Take a look.

Prone and spotting are in
Dolphin diving is out
PC version can handle 64-player matches; consoles are restricted to 24 players
The bullet drop system is being revamped
No more tracer darts

Sony lawyers now targeting anyone who posts PlayStation 3 hack
Sony is threatening to sue anybody posting or “distributing” the first full-fledged jailbreak code for the 4-year-old PlayStation 3 gaming console.

What’s more, the company is demanding that a federal judge order Google to surrender the IP addresses and other identifying information (PDF) of those who have viewed or commented about the jailbreak video on a private YouTube page. The game maker is also demanding that Twitter provide the identities of a host of hackers who first unveiled a limited version of the hack in December.
Looks like Sony repurposed their RIAA/MPAA style lawyers for this. I hope their fees go against the division's bottom line.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2011, 03:33 PM

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2011, 03:44 PM

Paragraph two sold me. Sign me up.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 03:51 PM

God that kind of crap journalism really gets my blood boiling.

Here's a thought for concerned parents... You're ****ing 9-year old shouldn't be able to play the game anyways you irresponsible twats!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2011, 03:53 PM

I enjoy that video game sexual acts are leading to more rapes. Last I checked video games are the only place where depicting a sexual act is more taboo than network television.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 04:06 PM

I know I've personally raped thousands of women thanks to video games, also:

I tend to hop on people's heads to kill them
I've knocked cars off the road with turtle shells
I run around at full speed knifing people in the back
I go into ceramic pot stores and smash the merchandise looking for rupees
I've been flinging birds at pig pens without regard for structural instabilities..... etc etc

My favorite insane comment in the same vein was about the Columbine shooters learning to kill from Doom 2. Whatever idiot said they learned to go for headshots from their time playing Doom. You couldn't even aim up or down in Doom, not to mention how many people played that game and didn't go on a rampage? Plus, you're fighting demons in hell, if anything it's a pretty positive game.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 06:12 PM

The Destructoid Killzone 3 review got me interested, so I finally hopped on board the KZ3 beta bandwagon, and I'm afraid it might have the potential to end my time spent on Black Ops.

Killzone 3's TDM equivalent is very nice, and Guerilla Warfare is fun, but the Warzone mode is as satisfying of a multiplayer experience as I've ever had. The objective changes throughout the match. You'll begin a match in a random mode, then after the winner/loser is determined, the game shifts to another mode without a break in the action. In CoD terms, it vacillates between TDM, search and destroy, domination, and others. This includes an assassination mode where one player from one side is randomly selected as the target. His team is responsible for defending him for a period of time, while the other team must take him out.

I did have trouble connecting at first (it's a beta, after all), but not once did I have an issue with lag, and I'm really interested in the class/leveling system. The graphics are downright jaw-dropping at times, and the "weighty" controls really begin to feel right after a while. I even hopped back on to Killzone 2 and really dived into the multiplayer. If I'd known how good it was, I probably would have spent a lot more time with it.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll have some really solid impressions after a few nights spent with it. Some of my initial euphoria might be based on CoD overkill.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
My favorite insane comment in the same vein was about the Columbine shooters learning to kill from Doom 2. Whatever idiot said they learned to go for headshots from their time playing Doom. You couldn't even aim up or down in Doom, not to mention how many people played that game and didn't go on a rampage? Plus, you're fighting demons in hell, if anything it's a pretty positive game.
It's funny how Klebold and Harris get brought up every time a violent game is released. I just read last year's book on them (creatively titled Columbine), and the author pretty much dismisses all the games-caused-Columbine nonsense and instead focuses on expert opinions that Harris was a classic psychopath who would've been prone to mass violence regardless of his environment/upbringing.

All indications point to them liking Doom because they liked violence, not that they liked violence because they liked Doom.

I do wonder at times just how healthy all the violence in games is for our culture, but I wonder the same thing about our movies/music/television/news. Games are just the easy target, since adults outside the 18-34 demographic aren't likely to give up their action/horror movies or news programs that focus on the worst of humanity.

Honestly, the third time I bought a Wii (that's still funny to say), a lot of my motivation was to enjoy some "cleaner" gaming. I only sold it for the final time because I didn't want to enjoy my clean gaming in low resolution while waggling a wand in my living room.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 06:27 PM

I find some of the subject matter on CSI or SVU more depraved and violent than most videogames.

Forum Links
Forum Rules