Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 190)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I find some of the subject matter on CSI or SVU more depraved and violent than most videogames.
Exactly.

My wife and I were watching Criminal Minds last night, and some of the crime scene photos they showed were absolutely brutal. My wife looked at me and asked, "Was that really necessary for the story?"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2011, 11:54 AM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The Destructoid Killzone 3 review got me interested, so I finally hopped on board the KZ3 beta bandwagon, and I'm afraid it might have the potential to end my time spent on Black Ops.
This entire forum is rocked by this revelation.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 12:10 PM

What time spent on Black Ops?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2011, 01:49 PM

So, weird comment to make, but last night I noticed an ad on XBOX Live for Top Shot on the History channel and it was good, because I forgot it was starting so soon. First time I actually found a dashboard ad useful. Weird feeling.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2011, 03:15 PM

L.A. Noire | Rockstar Games
Watch the gameplay orientation. I think I'm in.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2011, 04:25 PM

I'll check it out when I get home.

My brother mentioned he was going to get me a free copy of LA Noire, Duke Nukem and some tennis game (Top Spin?). I'm going to be busy this year.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2011, 06:01 PM

Activision axing Guitar Hero and True Crime; Freestyle Games reportedly hit with layoffs [update] | Joystiq
"Due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011," Activision said in its financial statement.
Gee, I wonder what caused the decline? Also, does this mean that somehow DJ Hero will remain alive?

Someone said that Activision has a whole three games slated for release this year (including MW3). That's pretty ****ing scary.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This entire forum is rocked by this revelation.
Staggering, I know.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
What time spent on Black Ops?
Exactly. The last two times I hopped on, I lasted maybe two matches. Now I haven't played for what seems like a week.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I'll check it out when I get home.

My brother mentioned he was going to get me a free copy of LA Noire, Duke Nukem and some tennis game (Top Spin?). I'm going to be busy this year.
If it's Top Spin, be prepared to spend some hours on it. TS3 was a very addictive game, and I'm not a big tennis fan. Great series.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2011, 07:45 PM

Activision axing Guitar Hero and True Crime; Freestyle Games reportedly hit with layoffs [update] | Joystiq

Gee, I wonder what caused the decline? Also, does this mean that somehow DJ Hero will remain alive?

Someone said that Activision has a whole three games slated for release this year (including MW3). That's pretty ****ing scary.
There are two strange things here:

The first, that Activision still believes in the scorched earth policy. They have simply shifted their focus from the music genre to the FPS genre - i.e. they killed Guitar Hero so that they can focus on releasing at least one Call of Duty title a year. Yeesh.

The second is that, somehow, Blizzard has remained immune to Activision's policies, which I'm a bit relieved about.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2011, 03:08 AM

Gee, I wonder what caused the decline?
Lemmie show you the over-saturation of this genre in detail...

Title & Release Date

Guitar Hero 3 - October 2007
Rock Band - November 2007
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith - June 2008
Rock Band 2 - September 2008
Guitar Hero: World Tour - October 2008
Guitar Hero: Metallica - March 2009
Guitar Hero: Smash Hits - June 2009
The Beatles Rock Band - September 2009
Guitar Hero 5 - September 2009
DJ Hero - October 2009
Band Hero - November 2009
Guitar Hero: Van Halen - December 2009
Green Day Rock Band - June 2010
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock - September 2010
Rock Band 3 - October 2010
DJ Hero 2 - October 2010

Wow, 5 games released at the end of '09 in a 4 month span. Ridiculous!

This doesn't even count the number of portable games and the mass amount of DLC released.
( Last edited by KCrosbie; Feb 10, 2011 at 03:15 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Lemmie show you the over-saturation of this genre in detail...

Title & Release Date

Guitar Hero 3 - October 2007
Rock Band - November 2007
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith - June 2008
Rock Band 2 - September 2008
Guitar Hero: World Tour - October 2008
Guitar Hero: Metallica - March 2009
Guitar Hero: Smash Hits - June 2009
The Beatles Rock Band - September 2009
Guitar Hero 5 - September 2009
DJ Hero - October 2009
Band Hero - November 2009
Guitar Hero: Van Halen - December 2009
Green Day Rock Band - June 2010
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock - September 2010
Rock Band 3 - October 2010
DJ Hero 2 - October 2010

Wow, 5 games released at the end of '09 in a 4 month span. Ridiculous!

This doesn't even count the number of portable games and the mass amount of DLC released.
Ok, A. That was sarcasm, B. You are so missing the point.

I have no idea why you included Rock Band. It only reinforces my point. Harmonix released half the titles in the same amount of time, most of which added significant features.

Two, the DLC is the entire point! If you like the game it's called support and it allows you to choose what songs you want to play versus being fed a mish-mash connection of songs of which you're lucky if you like half.

Everything you need to know is in this: Rock band outsold GH for the first time this year. If sales are declining in the genre how is that possible? Because they are actually innovating rather than releasing the same old rehashed shit each year.

Yeah, mainstream popularity is dead. However Harmonix still has a niche audience to rely on (assuming the studio remains open).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2011, 12:25 PM

Activision: Guitar Hero cost too much to be profitable - Destructoid
"Despite a remarkable 92 rating on DJ Hero 2, a widely well-regarded Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, as well as the 90-plus rated release from our most direct competitor, demand for peripheral-based music games declined at a dramatic pace.
When asked about the concept of market saturation, Hirshberg replied "Market what?"

Beachhead studio to work on Call of Duty 'digital platform' [update] | Joystiq
"Beachhead will create the best-in-class online community, exclusive content, and a suite of services to supercharge the online gaming experience like never before. The platform will support in-game integration and bring online experiences and console play together for the first time. The platform has been in development for over a year and we're very excited about the increased value we can bring to the community. We look forward to sharing more specifics on this exciting new endeavor with you in the near future."
As far as purpose goes, i can't make heads or tails of this. The initial inclination is that this might be a dedicated DLC outfit (which strikes me as a baaaaad idea). Alternatively, this could be admin for a CoD MMO (which I won't pretend I'd be too good to play).

Either way that puts the CoD developer count at five, which is hilariously high.

When asked about the concept of market saturation, Kotick replied "Market what?"

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2011, 12:55 PM

L.A. Noire | Rockstar Games
Watch the gameplay orientation. I think I'm in.
Looks good, but I never seem to enjoy 3rd person games as much.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 01:18 PM

L.A. Noire is looking nice. Seems like a lighter Heavy Rain with more action/combat. I'm in so far, but will probably wait for a price drop a year or so after release. I've got way too many games queued up.

I'm a sucker for that era too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2011, 03:31 PM

Do you love Top Ten lists? Who doesn't?!

http://features.metacritic.com/featu...2010-releases/

1 Take-Two Interactive
2 Nintendo
3 Capcom
4 Microsoft
5 Electronic Arts
6 Activision Blizzard
7 Sony
8 Square Enix
9 Sega
10 Namco Bandai
11 THQ
12 Ubisoft
13 Konami

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 05:18 PM

Addicted to lists...

Take Two doesn't surprise me now that I think about it, but Capcom does. That might be because I don't pay close enough attention though.

Ouch, Konami...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2011, 05:20 PM

Activision totally got propped up by Blizzard.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2011, 05:27 PM

Dakar, the David Letterman of the games industry!!
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2011, 05:36 PM

Uh, what?

Edit: Oh yes, Top Ten. How droll.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2011, 03:42 AM

Ok, A. That was sarcasm, B. You are so missing the point.

I have no idea why you included Rock Band. It only reinforces my point. Harmonix released half the titles in the same amount of time, most of which added significant features.

Two, the DLC is the entire point! If you like the game it's called support and it allows you to choose what songs you want to play versus being fed a mish-mash connection of songs of which you're lucky if you like half.

Everything you need to know is in this: Rock band outsold GH for the first time this year. If sales are declining in the genre how is that possible? Because they are actually innovating rather than releasing the same old rehashed shit each year.

Yeah, mainstream popularity is dead. However Harmonix still has a niche audience to rely on (assuming the studio remains open).
Of course I knew you were being sarcastic. I just wanted to show in detail why Activision pulled the plug on GH with their declining sales and with the over-saturation of games in that genre. I included Rock Band because didn't Harmonix get the axe by Viacom or something to that affect? I was thinking they were both going not going to release any more games. I understand the DLC adds to the overall longevity of the games. Like you said, it's better for us rather than being fed a game with half the songs you don't even know. Why would greedy ass Activision release more games when they can just keep milking profits by supporting them with DLC track packs? Obviously because it's way more cost-effective.
( Last edited by KCrosbie; Feb 12, 2011 at 03:58 AM. )

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2011, 03:55 AM

Activision: Guitar Hero cost too much to be profitable - Destructoid

When asked about the concept of market saturation, Hirshberg replied "Market what?"
LOL! That's classic! What a doofus!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2011, 04:11 AM

Duke Nukem Forever - Balls of Steel Edition for $99.99

• Collectible bust of the greatest alien ass-kicker of all-time
• Numbered, limited-edition certificate of authenticity
• 100-page hardcover book: The History, Legacy & Legend: Duke Nukem Forever Art from the Vault
• Duke Nukem Forever postcard series
• Duke Nukem Forever radioactive emblem sticker
• Duke Nukem Forever collectable comic book
• Duke Nukem Forever foldable paper craft
• Duke Nukem Forever poker chips
• Duke Nukem Forever mini-card deck
• Duke Nukem Forever radioactive emblem dice

I guess they were going to include bubble gum, but they're all out of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2011, 10:13 AM

Why would greedy ass Activision release more games when they can just keep milking profits by supporting them with DLC track packs? Obviously because it's way more cost-effective.
They're done with DLC too. The last of it should be released in the next month.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2011, 12:09 PM

Duke Nukem Forever - Balls of Steel Edition for $99.99

• Collectible bust of the greatest alien ass-kicker of all-time
• Numbered, limited-edition certificate of authenticity
• 100-page hardcover book: The History, Legacy & Legend: Duke Nukem Forever Art from the Vault
• Duke Nukem Forever postcard series
• Duke Nukem Forever radioactive emblem sticker
• Duke Nukem Forever collectable comic book
• Duke Nukem Forever foldable paper craft
• Duke Nukem Forever poker chips
• Duke Nukem Forever mini-card deck
• Duke Nukem Forever radioactive emblem dice

I guess they were going to include bubble gum, but they're all out of it.
Do they include the game?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2011, 01:18 PM

Sony dropped NGP features to keep it 'affordable'- Destructoid
"I can't talk about a definitive price at this stage. But since the very beginning we had a target in mind. So, when considering various features, we always had our price range in mind," said SCE Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida.
I love that these guys are doing damage control before the price is announced. "I can't tell you the price, but it totally coulda been worse."

If this was Apple, I'd suspect some lowering the bar to give the real price some shock factor as to how low it is, but the way these guys are dancing around the issue, I'm upping my prediction by $50.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 12:11 PM

Kotaku, the Gamer’s Guide
As such, Mortal Kombat had been far from the only title to suffer from this kind of censorship at the hands of Nintendo. The American versions of titles like Shadowrun and Final Fantasy had to remove all mention of bars. Bionic Commando was full of swastikas that had be edited. Super Castlevania IV also suffered at the hand of the censor's knife, with crosses present in the Japanese version removed from the American edition's tombstones (a fate shared by, of all games, Ducktales), exposed breasts on statues covered up and even the word "dracula" (or "dracura" as it was in the game) smudged out.

Nintendo's crusade against all things adult and mature would reach its ridiculous peak, though, with the 1993 release of Wolfenstein 3D. The classic PC shooter, which has you fighting your way through a castle full of Nazis, was edited so much by Nintendo of America that it may as well have been a different game.

All depictions of the swastika from the PC version were removed. And there were a lot of them. All blood in the game was, like with Mortal Kombat, replaced with sweat. Your opponents now shout in poorly-recorded English instead of the German shouts of the original. What would have been the most ridiculous change of all - turning the game's German Shepard attack dogs into giant mutant rats - is actually eclipsed by the decision to give all portraits of Adolf Hitler in the game a shave, so that his trademark "toothbrush" moustache is no longer visible
...and after Genesis ate their lunch on one of the most popular games of the time they through this shit out the window.

Edit: I asee the kotaku redesign has also ****ed the url titles. Four star work right there.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 12:38 PM

I hate the new Kotaku. Change for change's sake.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 12:46 PM

I think it was change to force 3000 more clicks sake. Opening shit in new tabs doesn't work half the time.

The best part is thanks to whatever type of code they use if you go forward a page and then hit back you now get taken back to the top of an article. Usability FTL.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 01:04 PM

I think it was change to force 3000 more clicks sake.
Bingo.

The best part is thanks to whatever type of code they use if you go forward a page and then hit back you now get taken back to the top of an article. Usability FTL.
Have already been pissed off by this at least 20 times. Good thing I still read most of it through an RSS reader.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 02:08 PM

I'm brining in some of Dakar's beloved IGN...

Free SEGA Games on PS3

The PlayStation Blog has announced the release dates of six separate old-school SEGA Genesis titles, which will be released individually on the PlayStation Network. These will be available for both PlayStation Plus subscribers and regular shoppers in the PlayStation Store, but PS+ users will get the games early, and for free. And yes, each game has a roster of trophies for you to earn.

Here are the details...
Sonic (Free for PS+ March 1, $4.99 on March 29)
Sonic 2 (Free for PS+ April 5, $4.99 on April 19)
Streets of Rage 2 (Free for PS+ May 3, $4.99 on May 17)
Golden Axe 2 (Free for PS+ May 31, $4.99 on June 14)
Comix Zone (Free for PS+ July 5, $4.99 on July 19)
Altered Beast (Free for PS+ August 2, $4.99 on August 16)
Not exactly mind-blowing, but I'm surprised by the trophies. I was a Streets of Rage 2 addict for a good half-year. Now if they would just give me my Road Rash...

Sony Threatens PS3 Pirates

The company issued a statement on the PlayStation Blog warning users that attempt to pirate software, whether through downloading applications or circumventing the console's security, will violate the Terms of Services and User Agreement for PlayStation Network. If caught, individuals might have their PSN accounts or consoles banned permanently.
No surprises here. I'm all for banninating the pirates.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 02:12 PM

I'm brining in some of Dakar's beloved IGN...
It's fine. They probably have a few relevant articles a year.I'm just not gonna dig through the slop of their site design and content to find it.

Not exactly mind-blowing, but I'm surprised by the trophies. I was a Streets of Rage 2 addict for a good half-year. Now if they would just give me my Road Rash...
If you didn't have PS+ I'd point out SoR2 has been out for the 360 for years.

No surprises here. I'm all for banninating the pirates.
Saber rattling.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 02:14 PM

If you didn't have PS+ I'd point out SoR2 has been out for the 360 for years.
Yeah, but I never really considered buying it. Trophies make it slightly more appealing, but free? Yes, please.

I still haven't shown all the PS+ content I've bought/received -- need to hop on it soon.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 02:15 PM

What's big difference between Trophies and achievements again?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 02:28 PM

Not a ton, but since you asked...

Instead of a GamerScore, you rank up by numbered levels. You get more points towards your rank depending on the types of trophies you earn. For example, I'm currently a level 8, and about 80% through that rank. If I can get another few silver or gold Trophies, I'll rank up to 9 easily.

There are four levels of Trophies:
- Bronze (tons of them, worth less to your overall Trophy level)
- Silver (worth more, but fewer per game)
- Gold (worth plenty to your overall score, but only a few available per title)
- Platinum (worth a ton -- awarded when you've reached 100% Trophies for the title)

Different games have different amounts of Trophies. Black Ops breaks down as follows:

36 Bronze
13 Silver
1 Gold
1 Platinum

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 02:32 PM

Oh Jesus. That sounds more obnoxious than just a raw number.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
Oh Jesus. That sounds more obnoxious than just a raw number.
Nah. Seeing it in application is a lot better.

[SIDE NOTE] - If you look at your friends list, you'll see how many bronze/silver/gold/platinum trophies they've earned, so you can tell who is bottom-feeding on a ton of titles, or who has been getting a lot out of their games.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 02:35 PM

Can't you do the same by looking at the games played list on XBL?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 02:41 PM

Can't you do the same by looking at the games played list on XBL?
Well, click on their user name, and you get this:

I couldn't find a better example (i.e. someone who has actually earned some Trophies). It's quicker, and you don't have to look through their list of games. It's an overall score.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 03:19 PM

Before I forget, JB, have you heard that Simmons will be one of the coaches of the celebrity game Friday night?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 04:00 PM

Before I forget, JB, have you heard that Simmons will be one of the coaches of the celebrity game Friday night?
You're kidding. Haaaaa...

The guy is everywhere now. Good for him. Did you see his Blake Griffin dunk reaction? Bill Simmons Celebrates Blake Griffin Dunk. If I remember correctly, you can't do the YouTube thing at work. Check later if you haven't seen it already.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 04:12 PM

You're kidding. Haaaaa...
Yes, him and ...ugh... Cowherd.

The guy is everywhere now. Good for him. Did you see his Blake Griffin dunk reaction? Bill Simmons Celebrates Blake Griffin Dunk. If I remember correctly, you can't do the YouTube thing at work. Check later if you haven't seen it already.
I heard some people making fun of him on the podcast. Probably a reminder that he is a sports fan.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 04:28 PM

Yes, him and ...ugh... Cowherd.
I listen to Cowherd relatively often for the good guests, but he's as pretentious as they come. He also has the fakest laugh of all-time.

I heard some people making fun of him on the podcast. Probably a reminder that he is a sports fan.
I think most his fans will find it endearing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 04:30 PM

I listen to Cowherd relatively often for the good guests, but he's as pretentious as they come. He also has the fakest laugh of all-time.
That makes sense. He sounds like a semi-nasal Carolla, who also has good guests, and is definitely way more pretentious.

(Speaking of podcasts, just discovered Stern on the BS Report on my iPod)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 04:39 PM

(Speaking of podcasts, just discovered Stern on the BS Report on my iPod)
Was pretty good. It might be my imagination, but it seems like Stern appreciates Bill's devotion to the NBA and opens up for him. I wish he came on twice per season. He has a fairly tough job selling multi-millionaire black athletes to white America, but I think he's done a great job over his tenure.

He confirms ones of Bill's conspiracy theories on the new podcast. The comments made ESPN's front page.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 04:42 PM

Great, I'll listen tomorrow.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 04:45 PM

Just in case you guys aren't zombied out, Dead Island looks awesome. Give the trailer a look.

Dead Island

Highlights from IGN's article:

The Royal Palms Resort is perched on the remote island of Banoi in Papua New Guinea. It's a tropical paradise turned tourist magnet, remote and exotic. Not the sort of place you'd expect to find scattered caches of weapons, boxes of grenades, rocket launchers leaning against walls, and mounted machine guns. In an effort to preserve that reality, Techland, the developers of Dead Island, have stripped those handy gaming conventions away, leaving a stark reality in their place.

Rather than run-and-gun their way through a meat maze, players will be forced to scavenge for objects and use them to beat their undead foes into submission. There are precious few firearms scattered around the island (and even less ammo), so the majority of the combat will be intimate. Knives, machetes, bats, broomsticks, pipes – these are your defenses against the horde of infected monsters. It's survival horror with a melee action twist, and it's disgusting.
Dead Island's developers call it a "first-person zombie-slasher/action-RPG."
So many games...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 04:50 PM

If they released a Call of Duty version of Left 4 Dead, I'm pretty sure the internet would implode.

Haven't watched the trailer, but mehhhhhhhh

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 04:51 PM

Haven't watched the trailer
That's the problem. Check it out later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules