Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 191)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The guy is everywhere now. Good for him. Did you see his Blake Griffin dunk reaction? Bill Simmons Celebrates Blake Griffin Dunk. If I remember correctly, you can't do the YouTube thing at work. Check later if you haven't seen it already.
That... was not that impressive an alley oop. I'm guessing that celebration had more to do with the flow of the game.

Just in case you guys aren't zombied out, Dead Island looks awesome. Give the trailer a look.

Dead Island

Highlights from IGN's article.
Watched it. Still meh. What am I supposed to be excited by?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That... was not that impressive an alley oop. I'm guessing that celebration had more to do with the flow of the game.
When his guest questioned him on it, Simmons said the angle didn't do justice to how impressive the dunk was. I'm guessing no matter what angle would have been shown, it was a "had to be there moment."

Watched it. Still meh. What am I supposed to be excited by?
Sometimes I think you're undead.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2011, 11:01 AM

Sometimes I think you're undead.
People mentioned that it could be the best trailer all year. I can see that. But I don't see anything in that trailer that makes me say to myself, "Boy I can't wait to do that."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2011, 11:11 AM

Report: Rare replacing full-time artists with contractors | Joystiq
There's an old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you have to be strong and determined to drown the damn thing." Boy, has MS been strong and determined.

It begins: PS3 modders getting consoles banned- Destructoid
Yesterday, Sony warned jailbreakers and cheaters that they had a limited time to remove any unauthorized tools from their consoles before the banhammer would drop. Turns out that time was extremely limited, as the great cull has already begun.
Making yesterday's saber rattling all the more pointless.

Gamasutra - News - Survey Shows Gears Of War 3 As Most Anticipated Purchase In U.S., U.K.

God help us all.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2011, 03:52 PM

I'm surprised there's no Call of Duty game on that list. I would like to see what this list will look like after E3.

Do you think there will ever be a release date for Twisted Metal? That game has been in development almost as long as GT5.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2011, 03:53 PM

None has been announced.

Also, I love that BioShock Infinite was stated as being 2012 when it was announced and its listed here for some reason.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2011, 05:01 PM

He confirms ones of Bill's conspiracy theories on the new podcast. The comments made ESPN's front page.
Are you referring to the NO thing? Because that really isn't a conspiracy theory, or that big a realization at all.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2011, 05:51 PM

I guess it's unsubstantiated news day.

Report: PSN hacked, custom firmware could pose security risk to users (UPDATED)
Update: A document written by the hackers has clarified what they did and what privacy and security risks they believe the PlayStation 3 poses. The PS3's connection to PSN is protected by SSL. As is common to SSL implementations, the identity of the remote server is verified using a list of certificates stored on each PS3. The credit card and other information is sent over this SSL connection. So far so good; this is all safe, and your web browser depends on the same mechanisms for online purchases.

Bungie denies claim of Activision-mandated layoffs, keeps mum on 'Destiny' MMOFPS talk | Joystiq
Bungie refuted the claim, saying in a statement that the studio "has never been asked to lay off any employees or contract employees by our publisher, Activision-Blizzard, for any reason." Last May, Activision did confirm that it was funding the development costs of Bungie's multiplatform mystery project, which the publisher said would employ nearly 200 staff. Perhaps sensitive to the assumption that Activision maintains close operational oversight of spending for the project, Bungie found it necessary to so explicitly discredit the reported layoffs.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2011, 01:03 PM

Friday News: Half-Hearted NPD Edition

Dancing games rule US charts, 360 claims dominance

Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, WII, NDS, PC)
Just Dance 2 (WII)
Dead Space 2 (360, PS3, PC)
Little Big Planet 2 (PS3)
Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (WII, 360, PS3)
NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, PSP, WII, PS2, PC)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360, PS3)
Dance Central (360)
Michael Jackson The Experience* (WII, DS, PSP)
DC Universe Online: The Next Legend Is You (PS3, PC)

Dance is the new Guitar hero. On that note, I bet Activision wishes it had a piece f that pie (too late guys!) And I wish they did because **** dance games.

Sony: Console-exclusive games bad, exclusive content good- Destructoid
"When you make a title exclusive, you limit its promotional power; we don’t want to do that," said brand manager Scott McCarthy. "We want games to be as big as possible -- it’s great for the industry. We work very closely with our [third party] publishers, not necessarily to lock down games exclusively, but to lock up exclusive parts of games."
Ha. Apparently exclusives are only ok first-party? Funny you should support the very system you have and criticize the system your successful competitor uses.

Former RedOctane CEO: Activision abused Guitar Hero- Destructoid
"[Activision] tried to get too much out of the franchise too quickly. They abused it," he said. "There's no reason why Guitar Hero cannot continue. It's a great product. My gut tells me there is still a significant market for Guitar Hero.

"Not every game can be a billion dollar franchise, but maybe that's what Activision wants. I'd be surprised if they sold the brand as it'd prove to the world there is still a market for this product and show them up. Look at how Take-Two has handled GTA. They haven't thrown products out there. They've nurtured it for over ten years and it is still a strong franchise."
Love the GTA example as a few weeks ago i commented that I've started to get that craving for GTA again (it only took three years to return...).

Interesting fact: We know Kotick is all about maximizing profits and Activision is an industry juggernaut that revels in profit. So I looked up the stock. It's worth a measly $10. And that's Activision-Blizzard. He's creatively raping the industry for around $10 a share. And it isn't on an upward trend for the past two years. Unbelievable.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2011, 03:13 PM

And I wish they did because **** dance games.
What you can't dance! ...(cue Genesis's "I can't Dance")

then again, I can't dance, either...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2011, 07:45 PM

Dance is the new Guitar hero. On that note, I bet Activision wishes it had a piece f that pie (too late guys!) And I wish they did because **** dance games.
I predict that Yo Gabba Gabba will have a dance game by the end of the year and that Jawbone will buy it.

YouTube - I Like To Dance

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2011, 02:40 AM

I'll buy that for a dollar!

Funny!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2011, 12:57 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I predict that Yo Gabba Gabba will have a dance game by the end of the year and that Jawbone will buy it.
I'm not saying anything yet.

Har...har...har.....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2011, 05:29 PM

Battlefield 3 trailer shows gameplay, looks amazing

I'm semi-interested in Battlefield. It's a decent teaser trailer, but you have to wonder how much of that is in-game footage (no actual combat is shown, really), and for us console-folk, how good it'll really look.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2011, 12:10 PM

Battlefield 3 trailer shows gameplay, looks amazing

I'm semi-interested in Battlefield. It's a decent teaser trailer, but you have to wonder how much of that is in-game footage (no actual combat is shown, really), and for us console-folk, how good it'll really look.
Why are people getting erections for a trailer that shows maybe 30 secs of what could or could not be gameplay?

Ars Technica :

It's short, but there's enough here to get excited about. With 64-player battles on the PC, improved animations and destruction, and... well, jets, this is a game that has us drooling
Too much hype, but I'll admit that I'd like a really really good FPS with large scale battles.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2011, 12:55 PM

Everyone is waiting for Call of Duty to be overthrown as the new mainstream cash cow.

I played Battlefield:BC2 again some more the other night, and I can see why so many people are loyal to the franchise. It's not quite as frenetic, so that might turn some CoD fans off, but I definitely don't get as frustrated playing it. I'd really like to give it a run on PC, except there's no way I'm building/buying a gaming PC.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2011, 01:28 PM

How many play BC2 online Jawbone?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
How many play BC2 online Jawbone?

Also, SOCOM 4 video. Yes, yes, and yes....although that blood does look extremely red.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2011, 10:34 AM

Monday News: Torrential Downpour Edition

Take-Two registers Grand Theft Auto-esque domains, GTA V shows up on stuntman's resume | Joystiq

It's unofficial: dedicated gaming devices may be losing out to phones
He's referring to handhelds, specifically.

Ubisoft's sex game for kids 'absolutely' not coming to US- Destructoid
Pussies.

Gears of War 3 multiplayer preview: Dedicated to the fans | Joystiq
When Gears of War 2 launched, its mutliplayer community quickly singled out two distinct issues: the nerfed shotgun and a mess of glitches, including a host exploit that was allowing unscrupulous players to gain an unfair advantage. Epic would eventually address these issues through title updates, but one serious problem remained: all of those damn cheaters.
Unless they're talking about lag-switching, what cheaters? Also, wasn't the shotgun nerf really a complete lack of CSHD?

Sony beefing up legal team to battle pirates | Joystiq
Perhaps the PS3 is destined for a different fate, with the help of a bulked up legal team. According to IGN, Sony is currently looking to hire a "Senior Corporate Counsel" and a "Senior Paralegal for Anti-Piracy and Brand Protection." (That should look intimidating on a business card!)

The hires will be responsible for "overseeing anti-piracy civil lawsuits and providing support to law enforcement and intellectual property agencies on behalf of SCEA." Sony has already filed lawsuits against a number of people responsible for the creation and distribution of the PS3 jailbreak. This listing suggests that the company may be looking to cast an even wider net.
Sony sues PS3 hacker for 1,000,000 euros, hacker defiant- Destructoid
Alexander "graf_chokolo" Egorenkov has his home raided by German police this past week, after Sony demanded the seizure of his PS3 hacking equipment. It has been subsequently revealed that Sony plans to sue Egorenkov for 1,000,000 euros ... and Egorenkov doesn't care.
I don't care where you stand on piracy (or misguided opinions on hacking), its got to be obvious that Sony is just pulling an RIAA all over again. It's interesting that by all accounts piracy is far worse on the 360, yet MS isn't a ****ing basketcase about it (Nor Nintendo). They're just throwing their money away.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2011, 10:37 AM

Everyone is waiting for Call of Duty to be overthrown as the new mainstream cash cow.
It's definitely overexposed, but let's be realistic. The search for a successor was exponentially accelerated by the turd sandwich that is Black Ops.

Speaking of which, very news thread worthy:
How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love the Bomb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKFBFu2oNAg

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2011, 11:47 AM

Something fishey in that vid. I mean who the fook stays around after the third or even fourth chopper from the same person?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 09:55 AM

From what I've read, some guy finishes 1-100+, which no one thinks is believable – who wouldn't rage quit by the 50s?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 10:20 AM

GameStop targeted in class action suit over personal info | Joystiq
According to the complaint, GameStop acquires "additional personal information, including the cardholder's physical residential address, by pairing the PII (personal identification information) with the cardholder's name obtained from the credit card." Essentially, the suit alleges you're handing over a lot more than just a credit card number to GameStop when you swipe for your purchase.

"Such conduct is performed intentionally and without the knowledge or consent of the cardholder, and is of potentially great benefit to [GameStop]," the document adds. But how else would you be able to get Game Informer, right?

PS3 shipments blocked in Europe as LG wins preliminary injunction | Joystiq
The struggle between hardware manufacturing juggernauts Sony and LG -- the latter of which claims that the PS3 infringes on a number of its patents relating to Blu-ray technology -- has finally drawn some blood. The civil court of justice in the Hague has granted LG a preliminary injunction for customs to seize and confiscate all PS3s coming into Europe (from manufacturing plants, etc.) for up to ten days. The Guardian reports that the collected consoles are temporarily being kept in Dutch warehouses until the case moves forward.
Dick move.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 11:39 AM

More great PS3 news...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 11:48 AM

Year of the PS3!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 12:52 PM

You betcha.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 12:53 PM

Yuck.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 01:36 PM

The aforementioned list of why I'm probably switching my future multi-platform purchases to 360:

1. Sony's current instability is terrifying me, and I'm really irritated at them for not having the foresight to prevent the wide-open hack, reacting in the worst way possible, and generally making fools of themselves during what should be a banner year for the PS3.
2. I'm on a pro-North American kick with the companies I support. I even bought a Ford Fiesta the other day.
3. I have to finally admit that the online experience is just not the same. I've been insanely spoiled by the voice quality of XBL. Killzone 3 is incredible, but not being able to party chat is one major strike against it, and the inability to have decent conversations is another. The ads on XBL annoy me, but the actual play experience is better, I'm afraid to say.
4. A few more of my "real-life" buddies are moving to 360.

I'm going to have to remove my students from my XBL friend list, though. My mind is rarely allowed a break from work, and gaming offers me that rare moment when I can stop being student/assistant pastor and just enjoy a little break from reality.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 02:23 PM

1. Sony's current instability is terrifying me, and I'm really irritated at them for not having the foresight to prevent the wide-open hack, reacting in the worst way possible, and generally making fools of themselves during what should be a banner year for the PS3.
I'm going to preface this by noting that I'm not trying to be contrarian here; I'm curious what you mean by this.

The best objective take I can give on Sony's piracy situation is they did better than average. It took, what, three years before it got cracked? (Hell, from what I've heard the 3DS was cracked on launch day) The problems I see aren't in foresight, but in execution: They panicked about the Other OS and pulled it because it might be a possible exploit, giving a heads up to hackers. Now they're giving the hacking community (and pirates by extension) constant PR with the pointless lawsuits, basically spreading awareness of the possibility to hack the system by "fighting" to contain the info.

As I understand it, the hackers did get deeper into keys than on other systems. I believe XBOX and Wii modifications require hardware, whereas with the PS3 modification is closer to root level and software enabled. I don't understand DRM well enough to know whether this was poorly implemented or the hacking community out did itself here. What I do see is that PS3s real-world counter is no different than Microsoft's – ban consoled from online service. And they have started doing this already. From here out, I'm not sure what the major differences are. If anything, Call of Duty's problems highlight how important the developer side of the equation is.

3. I have to finally admit that the online experience is just not the same. I've been insanely spoiled by the voice quality of XBL.
1080p guy strikes again! It's interesting, I can usually detect poor compression, but I seem immune to voice chat differences (someone commented when we went back to MW2 that our voices sounded shittier). I blame the $2 headsets.

I'm going to have to remove my students from my XBL friend list, though. My mind is rarely allowed a break from work, and gaming offers me that rare moment when I can stop being student/assistant pastor and just enjoy a little break from reality.
Totally understand that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 03:18 PM

I'm going to preface this by noting that I'm not trying to be contrarian here; I'm curious what you mean by this.

The best objective take I can give on Sony's piracy situation is they did better than average. It took, what, three years before it got cracked? (Hell, from what I've heard the 3DS was cracked on launch day) The problems I see aren't in foresight, but in execution: They panicked about the Other OS and pulled it because it might be a possible exploit, giving a heads up to hackers. Now they're giving the hacking community (and pirates by extension) constant PR with the pointless lawsuits, basically spreading awareness of the possibility to hack the system by "fighting" to contain the info.

As I understand it, the hackers did get deeper into keys than on other systems. I believe XBOX and Wii modifications require hardware, whereas with the PS3 modification is closer to root level and software enabled. I don't understand DRM well enough to know whether this was poorly implemented or the hacking community out did itself here. What I do see is that PS3s real-world counter is no different than Microsoft's – ban consoled from online service. And they have started doing this already. From here out, I'm not sure what the major differences are. If anything, Call of Duty's problems highlight how important the developer side of the equation is.
This is admittedly a small issue for me, but it's not that I believe what they're doing is ethically wrong...it's that they look pretty weak panicking every five minutes. The general feeling Sony is emitting right now is that of sheer terror that everything is going down the crapper, which is usually a good indication that's exactly what's happening.

Like I said, this should be a huge year for PS3, but instead of marketing how awesome their exclusive lineup is, they're busy throwing lawyers everywhere.

1080p guy strikes again! It's interesting, I can usually detect poor compression, but I seem immune to voice chat differences (someone commented when we went back to MW2 that our voices sounded shittier). I blame the $2 headsets.
Go play FIFA or a comparable game on PS3/360, and you'll see a difference, even on my 47" screen. Whether that's the engine, the resolution, or both, I'm not sure...but it's definitely noticeable.

Try voice chat on PS3/360, and you'll hear a crazy difference.

But it's not just the voice chat. It's the online experience, whether that's the fault of developers (Black Ops being a prime example) or Sony, it's not quite the same. I love the UI and the Store, but as long as developers are still preferring 360, this stuff is going to crop up.

Don't get me wrong -- the Playstation brand will always be in my blood, but things are shifting, and I'm not above bandwagoning. I'm still holding on to my exclusives though. Infamous 2 will consume me for a while.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 03:21 PM

This is admittedly a small issue for me, but it's not that I believe what they're doing is ethically wrong...it's that they look pretty weak panicking every five minutes. The general feeling Sony is emitting right now is that of sheer terror that everything is going down the crapper, which is usually a good indication that's exactly what's happening.
Well, you're certainly right about that. Be glad they were too stupid to react this way when they realized their $599 pricepoint was god awful.

Don't get me wrong -- the Playstation brand will always be in my blood, but things are shifting, and I'm not above bandwagoning. I'm still holding on to my exclusives though. Infamous 2 will consume me for a while.
Yeah, I thought the PlayStation brand would be in my blood for a while too (and definitely not XBOX) and then this gen happened.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 03:51 PM

Yeah, I thought the PlayStation brand would be in my blood for a while too (and definitely not XBOX) and then this gen happened.
If the NGP fails miserably, then I'm marking them as DOA for next gen, which was absolutely unthinkable 5 years ago. If they haven't learned from the PS3's launch mistakes and repeat the same ones with the NGP, then I'm sure the remaining faithful (myself included) will lose all trust.

[EDIT]As a side note, my wife has gone from watching all Blu-rays/DVDs/Netflix on PS3 to using the 360 exclusively. When I asked her why, she said she hates the way the PS3 Netflix app looks, and she is "just used to the 360 now."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 03:56 PM

The 360's Netflix app is very beautiful. Actually I love all of the new UI, but Netflix is very well put together.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The 360's Netflix app is very beautiful. Actually I love all of the new UI, but Netflix is very well put together.
I keep saying I'm going to put up a comparison video between the two systems to show everyone the differences between the two. I'm going to try tonight (swear).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 04:13 PM

Speaking of VOD, ESPN has made some interesting changes to their app. I didn't get to fool around with it much, but hey have condensed the commercials and added one unskippable ad (which wouldn't have been terrible except it had that annoying kid talking about cool cars).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 04:47 PM

Finally, an alternate perspective on the entire Live v PSN thing.

PlayStation Home downloaded 19m times PlayStation 3 News - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net
The 19 million figure refers to instances of Home being downloaded and booted up at least once. When asked how many active users the service has, Buser declined to comment - saying that figure is available, but only to developers who have signed a non-disclosure agreement.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 04:51 PM

Speaking of VOD, ESPN has made some interesting changes to their app. I didn't get to fool around with it much, but hey have condensed the commercials and added one unskippable ad (which wouldn't have been terrible except it had that annoying kid talking about cool cars).
I keep missing the NBA games on Fridays. I need to go check it out.

Finally, an alternate perspective on the entire Live v PSN thing.

PlayStation Home downloaded 19m times PlayStation 3 News - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net
The 19 million figure refers to instances of Home being downloaded and booted up at least once. When asked how many active users the service has, Buser declined to comment - saying that figure is available, but only to developers who have signed a non-disclosure agreement.
Yep...that's a great sign.

I turned Home on twice. I downloaded it, deleted it, downloaded again, and haven't touched it since. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it other than run up to people and start dancing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 01:21 AM

Wow...

User-Generated Infamous 2 Levels - Joystiq

Before presenting the latest milestone in the development of InFamous 2 at GDC today, Sucker Punch Productions development director Chris Zimmerman told his captive audience, "What we saw as the biggest problem with InFamous was that, at some point, it ended." That won't be an issue in this sequel, thanks to user-generated content.

Zimmerman says that the developer has planned to integrate user-created missions from the outset, keeping the feature secret for two years. "That's hard to do," he said with laugh.

Players will have access to "All of the good guys, all of the bad guys, all of the props that we built for the game -- vehicles, weapons and other stuff -- and then a whole bunch of special stuff we built just for making user-generated content," he confirmed. " We figured we'd throw that all out there and let people create, because we think there are lots of people out there that dream of being a game designer, and this is our opportunity to give them the opportunity to share what they can do. To take all of this content we've built over the past two years and putting it together to make something we never thought possible."

These missions, like those made for the final game, could be tagged (similar to LittleBigPlanet stages) and will appear alongside the main story's mission markers. Before you start envisioning a game world filled with markers -- like I did! -- there's going to be a system in place for filtering them all. The best user-rated missions -- the "Famous" -- will be categorized by their type and, every so often, the best of those will be singled out as "Sucker Punch Selections" and appear for anyone who has user-made mission markers turned on.
Earlier today I bemoaned the death of Sony.

Tonight I'm reminded that my second-favorite PS3 game's sequel has the potential to be frackin' awesome.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 3, 2011, 09:54 AM

Beyond Good & Evil HD Released

IGN Review

Never got around to playing this on the OG Xbox, due to Halo 2 but i've heard great things, seems like a likely purchase until we get some better info/impressions/reviews on Homefront.
Anyone else have experience with the original B G&E or thinking of picking it up?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 3, 2011, 11:14 AM

I had zero interest in the game when it came out and still have zero interest now.

What's the appeal? I hear it's a great game, but I don't know why.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 3, 2011, 12:37 PM

Jaffe: Console makers should limit game updates to four per year | Joystiq
"Hardware manufacturers, I feel, should only allow one to four updates to the software per game per year," he said, drawing a huge round of applause. "None of them should come within the first one to two months the game is shipping," he added.
"When I first started, when the disc was shipped it was our last chance [to get rid of bugs] off the bat," Jaffe recalled. "If developers could make it work then, then today they can at least make sure our games don't have to be updated the first week they hit shelves."
Amen.

Jaffe also suggested that hardware makers implement a feature that lets players bypass boot sequences and system menus, so they can launch directly into the latest save files for whatever games are in their consoles' drives.
But it's very important that I am reminded Treyarch made Black Ops for five seconds every ****ing day!

Magicka on consoles is 'up to Sony and Microsoft' right now | Joystiq
Posted because these guys are gaining quite a following and they released a Battlefield: Vietnam parody that I have trouble believing isn't a April Fools joke.

GDC: Nintendo shows a glasses-free Mario Kart on the Wii- Destructoid
So let me get this straight: HD is too niche, but 3D isn't? And on a system that can't process HD I'm sure rendering an extra graphics layer will work out great.

John Romero done with hardcore gamers PC News - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net
Guy who hasn't been relevant in years deciding to cash out on Facebook.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2011, 02:20 PM

But it's very important that I am reminded Treyarch made Black Ops for five seconds every ****ing day!
Yes it is! You must be reminded every day, over and over, who is responsible for making that piece of !
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 3, 2011, 03:35 PM

GDC 11: Sony says NGP is not as powerful as a PS3- Destructoid
That didn't take long.

Call of Duty: Black Ops the best selling PS3 game ever- Destructoid
Despite gaining notoriety for its "inferiority", the PlayStation 3 version of Call of Duty: Black Ops has been today heralded as the best selling PS3 title of all time. And that, folks, is why Activision doesn't have to bother shipping finished products!
Well, that was a brief run for GT5.

This also ****s CoD QA for infinity.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 4, 2011, 11:44 AM

Bungie's next game is 'massively multiplayer' | Joystiq
Also, the sun will rise tomorrow.

During a panel on networking technologies, Bungie lead network engineer David Aldridge told GDC attendees that the game will be "massively multiplayer," though added that it would not simply be "WoW in space."
I believe that when I see it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2011, 05:13 PM

Lately, I feel like these guys...

$10 goes to the 'NNer who can guess what that is without following the image URL

This also ****s CoD QA for infinity.
They were already regressing. Is it too early to claim MW3 will kill the series' sales?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 4, 2011, 05:23 PM

Tough call. I'm of the opinion that if they took the lazy route and just tweaked MW2 then it'd be wayyyyyyyyy better than Black Ops. The gamble here, however, is that Raven is doing the multi, so they might go nuts and try to put their stamp on it for future projects.

I think it'll be the peak, but I don't think it'll be the iceberg that hit the titanic. I've been trying to rectify the terrible taste that Black Ops has left in everyone's mouth versus the raw power of the name Modern Warfare. I think Modern Warfare wins out easily.

Edit: The pic looks vaguely familiar, but I don't know.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2011, 11:39 AM

Monday News: GDC Rap-up

Bungie: MMO announcement during GDC panel was a joke | Joystiq
Let the backpedaling commence. (Also, assuming said backpedaling is a result of their new overlord frowning upon releasing said info without appropriate bullshit build-up, once again, great choice in going with Activision!)

'Unleash' your Xbox Avatar with wall graphics and figures | Joystiq
If you want to indulge your more narcissistic tendencies, Microsoft has some new options to "unleash" your Avatar: Decorate your home with you -- get a custom wall print to make your Avatar larger than life; or have your Avatar stand proudly next to your GI Joe collection by ordering a miniature figurine; or even have your Avatar etched onto the back of a Zune media player.

Before you unleash, check your wallet. A "jumbo" wall print will set you back $150, while a 16GB Zune with Avatar etching costs $170. In comparison, the $60 asking price for a figurine doesn't sound so bad.
This is a huge waste of money, but an amazing waste of time for everyone who was involved getting this project off the ground.

Kotaku, the Gamer’s Guide
Of those who started Heavy Rain, 72 percent finished it, according to the president of the studio behind the game. That's a rather striking number for any video game, especially compared to another major hit released about the same time.

That would be Mass Effect 2, whose completion rate was about 50 percent, notes IGN. It makes the figure quoted by Quantic Dream's David Cage impressive indeed, and a testament to storytelling in games.
I crave more numbers.

XBLIG facts: Nazi-killing a no-no, revenue a yes-yes | Joystiq
For anyone who publishes an Xbox Live Indie Game, Microsoft takes 30 percent of the revenue, leaving 70 percent for the game maker. Even more interesting are some of the restrictions for games. James Silva of Ska Studios said it's impossible to have an XBLIG title where the player kills nazis, for example.
Double-standards for small-time developers? Not really a surprise.

Defending the 'middle-class' game- Destructoid
"I'm going to go on the record and say that I believe the middle-class game is dead," argues Bleszinski. "It needs to be either an event movie: day one, company field trip. Battlefield: LA -- we're there. Avatar -- we're there. The Other Guys starring Will Ferrell and Marky Mark? Nah, I'll ****ing rent that, I don't really care -- right?

"Or it has to be an indie film. Black Swan -- I'll go and see that. I'll go to The Rialto or I'll go to the AAA Imax movie. The middle one is just gone, and I think the same thing has happened to games."
The major problem with these games is that they're perfect for those who wait for price drops or buy used software. I don't begrudge any consumer who holds out for a lower price -- that's just wise decision-making. Unfortunately, what's good for the customer is not always good for the supplier, and the "I'll wait for the bargain bin" attitude is definitely contributing to the death of the middle classes. When you desperately need your game to rake in a profit, but your audience is going to wait until it's in a GameStop bucket, you may as well scrap the entire project.
Sixty dollars as a standard price tag just doesn't cut it anymore. Games are expensive, and quality titles are constantly being released. Something has to lose, and it's not going to be your Epics, your Rockstars or your Bungies. Value is determined by what people are willing to pay for an item, and if the middle-class game is dying, then the market has spoken -- most gamers aren't willing to pay $60 for the likes of Singularity. I'd say somewhere in the $30-40 price range is the sweet spot for middle-class games. If it's got half the hype of Gears of War, then make it cost half as much.

Release dates are also a huge consideration, and one that constantly frustrates me. Those three Namco games I mentioned earlier were all released in the months of October or November. Not only were the titles squashed together in a very tight window, that window also happened to be during the year's busiest release season.

As stated earlier, these games are perfect for drought periods. July and August are typically among the slowest months of the year, and this is the time that publishers should be putting out their solid middle-class games. You release something like Enslaved in August for the MSRP of $35, and I am almost certain it would perform well. It would at least stand a better chance than it did when it launched on October 5, 2010, at $60.

The truly exasperating thing is that I don't think I am saying anything revolutionary. In fact, it's pretty damn obvious. Lower your prices and avoid unconquerable competition -- it's hardly rocket science, right? Nevertheless, this generation has almost consistently favored the exact opposite of this, as publishers scratch their heads and wonder why the used games market is such a popular one.
This transitions nicely into...

GAME plans to take pre-orders for used games- Destructoid
It's no secret that publishers utterly loathe the used market, and UK retailer GAME has given them something to really get pissed about. The store chain is planning to trial pre-orders for pre-owned games, allowing customers the chance to reserve something that somebody's already bought.

Unlike a regular pre-order, where you've reserved the first print of a game as soon as it hits the store, you'll be calling dibs on the first game to be returned.
There's something utterly insane about that. I mean it's $5 you're saving, right?

Sony goes deep with PSPgo discount, then pulls out early- Destructoid
Fear of commitment? Performance issues? Sony's not bringing their A game, which is surprising coming from such a player.

Sony had dropped the price of the PSPgo system to $149, but it didn't last long. Somehow they quietly hiked the price back up to $200. Sony's own webstore has that silly thing where a higher price is crossed out with a new, lower price ($199) set right next to it. The problem is that we knew it was even lower than that for a short time, Sony.
I don't even get it. Did they get cold feet? Did it suddenly start selling too well? What a bunch of wangs.

Judge allows Sony to see IPs of those visiting PS3 jailbreak site
A federal magistrate is granting Sony the right to acquire the internet IP addresses of anybody who has visited PlayStation 3 hacker George Hotz’s website from January of 2009 to the present.
That strikes me as really ****ing scary. I'm not entirely sure I see the point, either.

Sony also won subpoenas (PDF) for data from YouTube and Google, as part of its lawsuit against the 21-year-old New Jersey hacker, as well as Twitter account data linked to Hotz, who goes by the handle GeoHot.
Sony told Spero, a San Francisco magistrate, that it needed the information for at least two reasons.

One is to prove the “defendant’s distribution” of the hack. The other involves a jurisdictional argument over whether Sony must sue Hotz in his home state of New Jersey rather than in San Francisco, which Sony would prefer. Sony said the server logs would demonstrate that many of those who downloaded Hotz’s hack reside in Northern California — thus making San Francisco a proper venue for the case.
Um, what? The latter seems extremely unlikely unless you pull some kind of bullshit numbers game or get a stupid judge.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2011, 12:13 PM

As website CVG points out, the engineer listing reads, "Come join a dynamic engineering team and play a key role in the development and verification of the Xbox and future platforms." That's innocuous stuff; however, the graphics architect gig offers a bit more enticement: "The Xbox Console Architecture team is hiring for a Graphics hardware architect position. The team is responsible for defining and delivering next generation console architectures from conception through implementation."
Filed under BFD. Assuming MS started work on the 360 the second the XBOX hit shelves, it still took them four years to bring it to retail. Predicting next-gen around 2014-2015 (Nintendo will release a tween gen [just coined that!] earlier).

Microsoft sells old games via Xbox Live, but they're laughably over-priced. Sony has sold a few as well, like Burnout Paradise, MAG and Warhawk, but had never offered one for sale on the same day GameStop or Walmart had.

Until Mass Effect 2 came along.

BioWare's sci-fi RPG was quietly released day-and-date on the PlayStation Network, meaning if you felt lazy and didn't want to leave the house on the day it came out in stores, you could just download it from home. And it looks like a lot of you did just that.

EA boss John Riccitiello says that, despite not marketing the game's online availability at all, the downloadable version accounted for "a double-digit percent of total sales for Mass Effect 2 on PS3".
Not that great of a sign, ME2 was old as **** by then.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2011, 12:48 PM

I was wondering if someone had already posted the ME2 story.

At least I've learned a bit as to why we don't see release day games-on-demand. I'd absolutely avoid Best Buy and GameStop if games were available immediately. I've already switched mostly to Amazon, but even then I'm worried about whether or not a game will arrive in time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules