Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 192)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
At least I've learned a bit as to why we don't see release day games-on-demand.
Huh? Nothing's really been said, though a few years ago I probably said its raw fear by the publishers, given their completely contradictory nature of giving GameStop pre-order exclusives.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Huh? Nothing's really been said, though a few years ago I probably said its raw fear by the publishers, given their completely contradictory nature of giving GameStop pre-order exclusives.
Sorry. Didn't actually read your article. I read one from IGN:

Mass Effect 2 Passed the Digital Test

Riccitiello later explained that one of the main hiccups causing publishers from doing more day and day, full game downloads on consoles are the retail policies between Sony and Microsoft.

"They have got to manage both selling boxes at retail, and it's generally a pretty thin margin business," he said. "And so they basically negotiate and leverage shelf space on the promise of making retail margin on software."
And (ugh)...

Currently, PlayStation Network in North America offers short of a dozen full game downloads that are also available at retail, including Warhawk, MAG, and Prototype. Xbox Live, meanwhile, offers over 200 full game downloads.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2011, 01:15 PM

I'm not sure I entirely understand what he's saying. The hardware manufacturers have to sell hardware so GameStop sticks them up on the promise of getting the higher margin software?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 11:27 AM

Sony VP Peter Dille leaves PlayStation- Destructoid
Best article commenttroll: "First to flee the sinking ship?"

Study: Violent videogames can help stop nightmares- Destructoid
Jayne Gackenbach has turned the "games desensitize people" argument on its head, theorizing that if games do indeed desensitize people to horrific images, they may be beneficial to those who suffer from harrowing dreams. The study was conducted with soldiers to see if they would sleep better after their stressful experiences.

Breaking: Reggie Fils-Aime crowned King of all Badasses- Destructoid

As if I didn't hate this guy enough.

Minecraft Creator Says 'No Such Thing As A Lost Sale' | Techdirt
In a short presentation at the Independent Games Summit he elaborated on those positions and again told people to stop worrying about "piracy" and focus on giving people reasons to buy. He dismissed the standard party line on these issues:

Piracy is not theft. If you steal a car, the original is lost. If you copy a game, there are simply more of them in the world.

There is no such thing as a 'lost sale'... Is a bad review a lost sale? What about a missed ship date?
The "lost sale" point is one we've raised a bunch in the past, but people have a lot of trouble grasping it. There is no such thing as a lost sale, because a lost sale just means a failure to get people to buy. And that's a marketing issue, not a legal one. If a "lost sale" is illegal, then anyone who gives you a coupon to buy their product instead of a competitors is "causing a lost sale." But that's ridiculous. And that's the point Notch is making. There are all sorts of reasons people might not buy from you -- and most of them may be your fault. So it's your job to convince people to pay for something -- which he's clearly done. As he notes:

If you just make your game and keep adding to it, the people who copyright infringed would buy it the next week.
Another report of the talk showed he expanded on the "copying isn't theft" concept:

A lot of big companies try to make piracy like theft; I wouldn't steal a car, but I would 'steal' a good design. If I liked another person's apartment, I would try to make mine look like someone else's... but that's not stealing.
Interesting.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 12:38 PM

Sony VP Peter Dille leaves PlayStation- Destructoid
Best article commenttroll: "First to flee the sinking ship?"
Actually, I think that's me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 01:31 PM

Came across this in my RSS reader (Newsrack for Mac is absolutely gorgeous):

Major Nelson - Demo: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters

For the first time in EA SPORTS history, experience the Masters – golf’s greatest springtime tradition – in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters. The demo will introduce you to the #1 most requested item in the history of the franchise – the Masters, and also let you preview several other ground-breaking updates such as: The Caddie Experience, New Career Mode, Mid-Round Saves, Fast Golf, and much more. Download today and start earning XP that transfers to the full game so you can be one step closer to becoming a Masters Champion!
XP that transfers to the full game from a demo? Yes, please. Great idea.

Ever since I heard about the Masters coming to TW12, I've been sold. No doubt about it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 04:04 PM

To me it's a more significant addition than Jordan to NBA games.

---

Because I enjoy taunting you:
PlayStation Network undergoing maintenance for 11 hours today [update] | Joystiq
Holy Jesus, 11 hours? Is Live that bad? Do they just know when to schedule maintenance better?

Epic: Gears of War 3 can't afford GOW 2's online issues- Destructoid
"If we release Gears 3 and it has the same launch as Gears 2 online then the franchise is dead," said St. Clifford in a rare moment of humility. "So you can't afford to make that mistake twice, right? And to be fair over the course of the six title updates, we got Gears 2 in a very good position. And we need to take it to great. And that's what this will help do."
Yes.

L.A. Noire | Rockstar Games
I like the videos, but Rockstar continues to be bludgeoned the uncanny valley. The faces look like they're made of clay. The skin is shaded too dark and shadows look unnatural.
The animations are nice, though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 11:55 AM

To me it's a more significant addition than Jordan to NBA games.
As much as I loved the Jordan Challenge on NBA 2K11, I'd tend to agree. The Masters is the most exclusive sports game acquisition of all-time. I thought they'd never allow it to be featured.

Because I enjoy taunting you:
PlayStation Network undergoing maintenance for 11 hours today [update] | Joystiq
Holy Jesus, 11 hours? Is Live that bad? Do they just know when to schedule maintenance better?
Jerk.

Seriously, though...11 hours.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2011, 11:59 AM

PS3 firmware 3.60 is live with cloud saves ... oh, and hacker suggests PS3 is 're-secured' | Joystiq
As for those glaring security holes? Noted PS3 hacker Youness Alaoui (aka KaKaRoToKS) posits, "For now, it looks to me (at first glance) that the PS3 has been re-secured, but it doesn't mean it can't be broken again from scratch." DigitalFoundry explains that while Geohot's reveal of the "mtldr" key irrevocably broke the PS3's "chain of trust," Sony's solution effortlessly sidesteps this seemingly insurmountable breach: "According to Alaoui's quick analysis, Sony simply doesn't use mtldr any more, opting for a new security system that could possibly require a completely new exploit to be uncovered."
Good, maybe they stop trying to sue everyone.

Kaz Hirai promoted, next in line for Sony CEO spot | Joystiq

MS Point scam cost Microsoft over $1 million | Joystiq
That seemingly unintelligible string of numbers and letters attached to MS Point cards and Xbox Live Gold trials has an underlying code, a kind of system in place, a group of hackers found out yesterday. Using old claimed codes, this group was able to come up with an algorithm to generate new, valid code strings -- those who input the code got 160 MS Points and could refresh the site for more.
That's a lot of fake cash. Still, I'm somewhat surprised that there's no mention of the possibility of tracking everyone who pulled this trick and negating those points.

EA: 40% of game sales digital, NPD becoming less relevant | Joystiq
Someone points out this likely includes PC sales, which completely removes any value from the title.

Microsoft launches optional 'Xbox Live Labs'- Destructoid
What is it, exactly? Well, we're not exactly sure, but Microsoft plans on performing a number of network tests between Xbox Live and your console.

"These results are recorded solely for the purpose of testing and improving the service," writes Xbox Live's Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb on his blog.

Participation in "Labs" is totally optional, and will run from March 10 through March 27. Here's the catch: if you participate, your Xbox Live connectivity will be completely gimped. That means you won't be able to game, watch movies, or download music while running "Labs." Also, "your Internet connectivity may be slower than usual."

So why would anyone want to do this again? To make Xbox Live better, of course! Oh, each success test will get you a "cool Avatar item" and a zero point Achievement as a "thank you."
Yeah, whatever, I'll try it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 12:16 PM

I watched the Homefront storyline trailer. I think I'm actually more interested in the single-player than the multiplayer at this point.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2011, 12:19 PM

From what I've been hearing the single-player is ridiculously short.

Edit: God dammit, why I am discouraging you from buying the game?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2011, 12:24 PM

FYI, for those of us who were talking about wearing out controllers, the silver xbox controller is on sale on amazon. It's $5 more than a regular wireless controller MSRP, and it comes with a battery, so you're technically saving $5 (More considering the Plug & Charge MSRP is $15 over the stand-alone controller).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 12:36 PM

From what I've been hearing the single-player is ridiculously short.

Edit: God dammit, why I am discouraging you from buying the game?!
Irrelevant. Already pre-ordered. I went on a game-buying and pre-order spree yesterday. I found out my brother already sold AC II, so I bought it, ME1, ME2, and pre-ordered Tiger 12, Homefront, and Skyrim.

FYI, for those of us who were talking about wearing out controllers, the silver xbox controller is on sale on amazon. It's $5 more than a regular wireless controller MSRP, and it comes with a battery, so you're technically saving $5 (More considering the Plug & Charge MSRP is $15 over the stand-alone controller).
Bought the controller mostly because the battery/charge kit doesn't seem to be working properly on my current controller. Also, the left analog stick is grinding every time I press forward and turn slightly. Finally signed up for Amazon Prime as well.

Thank God my wife and I maintain separate bank accounts...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2011, 12:40 PM

Irrelevant. Already pre-ordered. I went on a game-buying and pre-order spree yesterday. I found out my brother already sold AC II, so I bought it, ME1, ME2, and pre-ordered Tiger 12, Homefront, and Skyrim.

(What about Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood?)

Bought the controller mostly because the battery/charge kit doesn't seem to be working properly on my current controller. Also, the left analog stick is grinding every time I press forward and turn slightly. Finally signed up for Amazon Prime as well.
I plan on sitting on mine for a while (Maybe til MW3 comes out). I suppose breaking a new one out once every two years isn't terrible given what I put them through. (For fun test the resistance between your left and right analog stick. I find the right one is much stiffer, likely from much less use). I am wondering if I'm going to regret the monochromatic face buttons.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 10, 2011, 12:54 PM

I am a huge fan of the silver controller, ever since I bought one I find the traditional thumb sticks to be loose and rubbery, the new tops give much more control and I think the new triggers are also slightly better
Generally I like the matt silver finish and monochromatic buttons, it looks less like im 12 sitting on my coffee table

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2011, 12:59 PM

I didn't realize they redesigned the joysticks.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 01:28 PM

(What about Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood?)
My birthday is next month. If I dig AC II, who knows?

I plan on sitting on mine for a while (Maybe til MW3 comes out). I suppose breaking a new one out once every two years isn't terrible given what I put them through. (For fun test the resistance between your left and right analog stick. I find the right one is much stiffer, likely from much less use). I am wondering if I'm going to regret the monochromatic face buttons.
I'm not worried about the monochromatic face buttons. The XBox controller setup is long enough in the tooth that I know instinctively what those colors mean on screen without looking at my controller.

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
I am a huge fan of the silver controller, ever since I bought one I find the traditional thumb sticks to be loose and rubbery, the new tops give much more control and I think the new triggers are also slightly better
Generally I like the matt silver finish and monochromatic buttons, it looks less like im 12 sitting on my coffee table
I've heard the overall package is improved. Looking forward to testing it out.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 10, 2011, 01:30 PM

Absolutely, I think they are a bigger improvement than the transforming d-pad (although I do like it)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2011, 01:33 PM

I have a feeling the transforming D-Pad will be a non-factor. It looks like it's too tall for use in CoD like games when transformed. Does it work any better not-transformed? I'd be surprised if it did.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 10, 2011, 01:39 PM

Not really but it is a big improvement when transformed, I've found it useful for weapon selection in dead space and in hot keys for fallout

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2011, 01:43 PM

Actually, it looks like the surrounding area lowers when twisted. Maybe it'll be playable for CoD after all.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 10, 2011, 01:47 PM

It absolutely does lower and the process of changing positions is suprisingly both rigid and comfortable, I half expected it to become loose but so far I'm very happy with it's performance

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 04:05 PM

I never quite understood the point of transforming the D-pad in the first place. I always chalked it up as something I'll have to fiddle with to understand.

Oh, forgot...picked up Dead Space (first one) as well. Going to save that one for late night, headphone sessions.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2011, 04:12 PM

Won't you wake your wife up with your girlish screams?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 04:13 PM

She's used to it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2011, 04:15 PM

Right, I forgot she helps shave your back.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 11:30 PM

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2011, 12:19 AM

Kinect becomes the fastest selling electronic device ever

Since its release in November, over ten million sensors have been sold worldwide.

In the first sixty days since its release, it sold eight million units, which is an average of 133,333 Kinects sold per day. Those figures are so staggering in fact that it has been certified in the Guinness Book of Records as the "Fastest-Selling Consumer Electronics Device" of all time!
The previous record holders were the original iPhone, followed by the iPad. So Microsoft are no doubt incredibly pleased that they've knocked their biggest rival of the throne...
Considering that the Xbox 360 itself has sold over 50 million units worldwide (as of December 2010), that means that one in five Xbox users has purchased a Kinect sensor
So that means 20% of X-Box 360 owners wasted $150.

Jesus...

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2011, 12:24 AM

Oh, forgot...picked up Dead Space (first one) as well. Going to save that one for late night, headphone sessions.
Definitely the best way to play the game. I just beat it recently and loved it!

Dead Space 2 is sitting in my cabinet ready to go. Probably will start it this week.

How you liking it so far Bogues? Noticed you've been playing it.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 11, 2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Dead Space 2 is sitting in my cabinet ready to go. Probably will start it this week.

How you liking it so far Bogues? Noticed you've been playing it.
I've completed one run through and am currently on a second, IMO it is a much better game, mostly due to being more action based than horror (appeals more to my style), The mechanics have been refined along with the weapon selection and more variety in collectible items (schematics, power nodes, etc.) adds a sense of risk reward where you decide to take time to go down a extra hallway or room looking for upgrades when you may run into a group of baddies around the corner.

Campaign is relatively short (almost 9 hours on my "normal" play through) and at times much more difficult, although the majority of the creatures are clones from DS1 (to be expected) there are a few new enemies that really amp up the action, for example there is a group of velociraptor like enemies called "stalkers" that will play games with you in a large group (FANTASTIC situations, some of my favorite), those types of enemies really add to the gameplay (your first encounter leads to my favorite achievement title in a long time, Fatty should appreciate it)

Also the new "Zero-G" mode is MUCH improved, and adds some variety to the normal action, also the repetitive nature of train to train of moving to different "levels" is gone along with a much more varied environment including a school, stores, space, normal hallways adds to the game.

Story is so-so but its all about the action for me, defiantly worth the money for anyone that liked DS1, not game of the year, but a worthwhile sequel
8.5/10 for me

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2011, 11:06 AM

Friday News: NPD Edition

February NPD: Total sales up, new games come out swinging | Joystiq
Call of Duty: Black Ops -- 360, PS3, WII, NDS, PC -- 1 -- Activision Blizzard
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds -- 360, PS3 -- 2 -- Capcom
Just Dance 2 -- WII -- 3 -- Ubisoft
NBA 2K11 -- 360, PS3, PSP, WII, PS2, PC -- 4 -- Take 2 Interactive
Dead Space 2 -- 360, PS3, PC -- 5 -- Electronic Arts
Zumba Fitness: Join the Party -- WII, 360, PS3 -- 6 -- Majesco
Bulletstorm -- 360, PS3, PC -- 7 -- Electronic Arts
Killzone 3 -- PS3 -- 8 -- Sony
Michael Jackson The Experience -- WII, DS, PSP -- 9 -- Ubisoft
Mario Sports Mix -- WII -- 10 -- Nintendo
The new format is so worthless. I really doubt NBA 2K was one of the big movers this month, it just 3000 systems it's on.
Anyway, Bulletstorm faired well (Better than KZ3 on an individual system? Doubtful).

NPD: Call of Duty: Black Ops is the US's best-selling game ever | Joystiq
In a statement released this evening, NPD analyst Anita Frazier says that in that short time, Black Ops has already surpassed Wii Play as the best-selling game in history. Like, ever. Activision hasn't released specific US life-to-date sales numbers, but it sold 5.6 million copies in the UK and US on day one. And as of October, Nintendo claimed sales of around 13 million Wii Plays.
There is nothing about this article that is good. Wii was a ****ing bundle (and not a ****ing $60 game).
I don't see why Black Ops is moving units. Seriously. WHat little PR it's gotten the past few months is bad. Do people like Vietnam better than Modern shit? No way. All I can think is that segment of the population that has a raging hard-on for the massive spawn-****ed disarray that is Nuketown (i.e., the 12 year olds) are spreading this game like wild-fire via word of mouth. Because, seriously, how was MW2 not better

Moving on...

Xbox 360 has biggest non-holiday month ever | Joystiq
Amongst all the NPD celebration, Microsoft arguably had the most reason to party: Xbox 360 sold 535,000 units in February of 2011, its biggest non-holiday month ever, up 27 percent over last year.
Jesus, that's Wii numbers. Can't remember but feels close to holiday numbers.

Kotaku, the Gamer’s Guide
"We are aware of the situation and have taken steps to invalidate the codes obtained illegitimately," Microsoft told Kotaku in an official statement this afternoon.

With Microsoft able to track the generated codes, that means they can also track accounts that cashed in the generated codes for points.

And since they can track the damage, they are qualified to tell us that the $1.2 million figure being thrown about is far from the actual number. "We can't share specific numbers, but the figure is nowhere near the amount that has been reported."
The obvious thing to do here is sue everyone!

Rumor: Xbox 360 getting new IPTV services this year, codenamed 'Orapa' | Joystiq
Orapa is said to incorporate "Xbox Live social features (like Avatars and recommendations)," and "Kinect sensing capabilities," as well as another rumored Microsoft project -- a video/music service codenamed "Ventura."
Interesting... Interesting...

PEGI spanks Ubisoft, demands it pull We Dare ads from internet | Joystiq
Gamasutra reports that PEGI's imposing-sounding "Enforcement Committee" has demanded that Ubisoft pull the ads from the internet within three working days or risk a fine. According to PEGI, the ads do not "accurately reflect the nature and content of the product and it misleads consumers as to its true nature."
This game has gotten an amazing amount of PR (mostly bad), but I really don't understand the complaint here.

Wii hits the 35 million sales mark in the US- Destructoid
According to the NPD's data, Nintendo's Wii has just hit the 35 million sales mark in the United States. February saw over 454,000 Wii being sold, making the system the fastest to hit 35 million in our history.
Surprised the number isn't even higher.

EA sneaks SecuROM DRM onto Dragon Age II disc- Destructoid
The worst part is that Electronic Arts does not inform gamers about the DRM anywhere -- there's no warning on the game's packaging or website, and it's suspiciously absent from the EULA. Consumer rights advocate "Reclaim Your Game" has been emailing subscribers to warn them of EA's shenanigans, which violates a court order demanding it disclose all instances of SecuROM in its games.
Holy shit. Fingers crossed for a lawsuit.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2011, 10:48 AM

I got curious and looked it up: I have 13 of the 57 chapters remaining to finish RDR, but that's going to be hard to get to in the foreseeable future. I've taken quite a liking to Assassin's Creed II.

I told sek this the other night, but it's basically Infamous in Renaissance Italy (sans superpowers), and that's a recipe for Jawbone success. Infamous definitely gives you more of a GTA-like freedom though. I think the parkour-like climbing/running is also a little better in Infamous, while the storytelling and overall quality tips towards AC II.

It's embarrassing to admit this, but I hopped onto my PS3 Saturday night, and (re)discovered that I had already bought Assassin's Creed II on the PSN Store. I'm not even sure when it was. I got curious, so I hopped on for a little compare/contrast...

The games look identical to my eyes, but there's a little performance problem: the game was hiccuping pretty badly on PS3 when it would autosave while Ezio was still running around. It might be due to it being a downloaded title, so it's writing to the same disc it's reading the game from (???), but since I didn't have the game on disc and I'm not a hardware expert by any means, I'm not really sure.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2011, 02:59 PM

Just arrived. Beautimus.

I neglected to see in pictures that the analog stick faces are very different. They're nice and smooth. I'll have to save practical impressions until I play with the thing, but it definitely is the sexiest-looking 360 controller.

[EDIT]

Just realized how much the color scheme is exactly like my MBP. Hmmm...

( Last edited by Jawbone54; Mar 14, 2011 at 03:07 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 14, 2011, 03:05 PM

I find the traditional thumb sticks to be loose and rubbery, the new tops give much more control and I think the new triggers are also slightly better
I didn't realize they redesigned the joysticks.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2011, 03:19 PM

I know, I know...I just didn't see the lack of crosshair grooves. Should've clarified.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 14, 2011, 03:22 PM

It's Dashboard button that amuses me. So shiny.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 14, 2011, 05:02 PM

I forgot to mention, I was at a party this weekend where kinect adventures was played. It looked awful.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 14, 2011, 05:45 PM

My fiancée's niece and nephew were playing this during christmas, absolutely terrible

I think its absolutely hilarious that there is STILL not a single "hardcore" game released for Kinect

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2011, 11:05 PM

My fiancée's niece and nephew were playing this during christmas, absolutely terrible

I think its absolutely hilarious that there is STILL not a single "hardcore" game released for Kinect
At least for now, non-traditional control systems, be it Kinect, Wii, Move, or iOS have a lack of hardcore games. I suppose it'll just take awhile. But yeah, for now the Kinect is a waste of money - except maybe for Dance Central.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2011, 12:03 AM

Dance Central is fun, but only brought out with groups. All the rest suck.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 15, 2011, 10:18 AM

GameStop, Sony, Ubisoft on the growth of retail in the age of downloads | Joystiq
"We are not looking for a system -- whether it's iPhone, Android, whatever -- that is this wonderful socialist idea that we can give things away for free. "
Someone sounds bitter.

EA calls NPD's monthly report a 'misrepresentation of the entire industry' | Joystiq
"Using NPD data for video game sales is like measuring music sales and ignoring something called iTunes," EA corporate communications exec Tiffany Steckler told CNN Money. "We see NPD's data as a misrepresentation of the entire industry." David Riley from the NPD countered in an email to the piece's author by saying EA's discrepancy is "being blown out of proportion."
Completely overstated, of course, but under the new format NPD number will slowly become more and more inaccurate.

Amazingly/inexplicably, the publisher tonight revealed Rocksmith, a Guitar Hero clone which uses a real electric guitar instead of a replica.

"Guitar Hero is a party game. Rocksmith is a music experience", Ubisoft tells The Hollywood Reporter, pointing towards the fact that the game comes not with bundled plastic instruments but a jack that allows users to plug a real electric guitar into an Xbox 360 or PS3.
Ubisoft is a retarded game company, apparently.

Koushik Dutta, a noted hacker (and mobile developer), has posted what he claims is an email exchange between himself and an employee of Sony Computer Entertainment America. In which Sony offers the man a job.

The alleged email, from Sarah McRae in SCEA's Talent Acquisition Department, offers Dutta a position as a Software Engineer with the division's Research & Development Department.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
At least for now, non-traditional control systems, be it Kinect, Wii, Move, or iOS have a lack of hardcore games. I suppose it'll just take awhile. But yeah, for now the Kinect is a waste of money - except maybe for Dance Central.
Dunno if I'd agree about iOS - some of my favorite games lately were Dead Space, Infinity Blade, and Need For Speed. I'd consider those hardcore.

Then again, I love me some Angry Birds too...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2011, 09:37 PM

I'm loving NBA Jam, personally. I just got Dead Space but haven't tried it out yet

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2011, 11:25 PM

NBA Jam on the iPhone is fantastic. Best sports game I've played on it so far.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2011, 10:52 AM

A survey conducted yesterday by research firm Toluna, and sponsored by publishers Ubisoft (it was labelled "Ubisoft- NGP concept- US Adults"), says that "the retail price of the Sony NGP is expected to be around $350", and asks the respondent "How likely would you be to purchase the Sony NGP now that you know this retail price?"

That's for the premium model, the one with 3G. The next question, however, says that the version of the NGP shipping without 3G connectivity will be priced considerably lower: at $250.
Anyone if the 3G free with purchase (i.e., no charge wherever coverage is available)?
I'll still take a wait and see stance on that $250 price point.

Very few games are M-rated, but they take all the glory- Destructoid
What were some of the biggest games of 2010? Off the top of my head, I can think of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Mass Effect 2, and Halo: Reach, only one of which is not M-rated. I could probably think of more, pulling from the download space and the pool of critical darlings like Donkey Kong Country Returns that don't run up a high, bloody body count. However, when it comes to the BIGGEST sellers of the year, the one's that pull in the big bucks and walk away with the end-of-year awards... c'mon! Let's be real! And other recent years would be no different.
Yeah, I'd like to see who gets the lion's share of revenue. Probably by console, seeing as the Wii might skew things.

Why do these games typically have the biggest sales despite carrying an age rating one would think would handicap them? After all, PG-13-rated films do loads better than R-rated films in the box office because of the wider audience net they're able to cast. And why are the best-scoring games of the year typically the one's with the big M slapped on the cover?
Because no one understands the industry and rates these games more harshly than movies with similar subject matter.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2011, 11:25 AM

Okay, if the NGP is $250, I'm getting one. Also, that bodes well for Sony's future. Hoping, hoping, hoping...

I would speculate that a lot of parents are still unaware of the content of many M-rated games. I can tell you that many parents in my church are totally clueless. They think, "Well, it's a video game. How bad can it be?" I watched a mother buy her son (appeared to be about 11) Heavy Rain, which is a game I turned in as soon as the graphic nudity popped up. She probably never even looked at the rating on the back.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2011, 11:27 AM

The majority of parents couldn't give a shit about their 9 year old using a chainsaw to cut up a vampire zombie with green blood and big tits as long as they can watch Dancing/Grey's/Idol/Friends/Lost in peace.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2011, 11:30 AM

My 10-year-old nephew plays Black Ops, but isn't allowed to play single-player, zombie mode, or to turn on the sound in his headphones unless he's in a private party chat. I still think the violence is too much for his age (even with blood/gore turned off), but I'm not his parents.

My own religious convictions have cut quite a few of my gameplay sessions short, and I'm probably going to be buying my own children Nintendo products until they're 16 or so. Who knows what kind of content will be available by then...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2011, 11:42 AM

I think most of the M rated games are okay for 13 year-olds (oh hey, coincidentally the same as the PG-13 movie rating). Certainly Halo and Call of Duty online don't have any really objectionable material compared to an action movie. But I wouldn't let them play with a headset. That's like throwing the kid in a frat house.

JB, what were the games that you had to cut short sessions on (I'll avoid asking for specific examples so as to curtail any temptation to play Devil's Advocate)?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2011, 12:27 PM

JB, what were the games that you had to cut short sessions on (I'll avoid asking for specific examples so as to curtail any temptation to play Devil's Advocate)?
Ha...are you sure we want to go down this road? Heavy Rain and Fallout 3 are the most recent examples that come to mind. I didn't even bother with God of War or GTA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules