Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Listening to music

Listening to music
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 14, 2008, 10:36 PM

So, this came up with a friend last week. Does anyone still actually listen to music, like really listen?

It really dawned on me how the youngest members of our society treat music when I was working at Apple, before they blocked Myspace. Groups of teens would come in to do Myspace (take pictures, etc), but before they did ANYTHING, they'd invariably bring up iTunes or Youtube to start music in the background. To them, music is the soundtrack to your life.

On the other extreme are audiophiles who obsess so much about "hearing" the details in the music that they forget to listen to it. It's pure analysis.

But what happened to listening? Like, listening as an activity? People used to sit around the radio and listen, or go to a concert. Even listening to an old Victrola was an activity.

I don't know anyone besides me who actually sits down to listen to music (and even I don't do it often enough). I started doing it as a young teen, after everyone else went to bed. I'd usually do it in the dark, so as not to be distracted. It's kinda like meditation, just being carried away. Not dissecting, not doing other things at once. Just listening.

Any thoughts?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 11:05 PM

On the weekends, I frequently turn up Anabolic Frolic or Dragonforce as loud as I can (on a medicore 100W RCA shelf system) and dance around my living room like a complete idiot.

I definitely still stop and listen to the music quite a bit - not analyze it; just enjoy it.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2008, 11:17 PM

I wish I could say that I did, but I don't. Well, I rarely do anymore. When I was in high school I would sit with friends and listen to music and really pour over it. Or just sit by myself and listen to it. It just seems like you said, a soundtrack to your life anymore. I listen to music when I workout, when I go out, when I'm getting ready to go out, in my car, stuff like that, but it seems more so to serve a function rather than listening just to listen. Kinda sad when I stop and think about it...
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 11:28 PM

I'm listening to XM online, channel 74, Bluesville, right now. Yes, I actually still listen, as opposed to just playing it as background noise. I also walk 6 - 8 miles/week, with my iPod in my pocket.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

alligator
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2008, 12:02 AM

This is why I'm considering a switch to vinyl. It takes time to put a record on the record player, turn it on, and then get up when it's finished to take it off. I'd switch if I could just find a good place to buy a turntable from and if I knew what to buy.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 15, 2008, 12:32 AM

With all new albums, I set aside an hour or so to sit and listen to it before I put it on iTunes. Then I periodically go back and will listen to and focus on an individual instrument.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2008, 11:13 AM

Interpol rock.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Rumor
Nov 15, 2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
On the weekends, I frequently turn up Anabolic Frolic or Dragonforce as loud as I can (on a medicore 100W RCA shelf system) and dance around my living room like a complete idiot.

I definitely still stop and listen to the music quite a bit - not analyze it; just enjoy it.
Youtube video please.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Thorzdad
Nov 15, 2008, 05:12 PM

I still listen intently to my music. My frustration is that I am finding less and less music that stands up to actual listening. Perhaps it's the way it's recorded and produced, or perhaps it just that I'm not as attracted to newer music anymore. Whatever it is, I find myself constantly heading back to older recordings for listening enjoyment.

Rumor
Nov 15, 2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I still listen intently to my music. My frustration is that I am finding less and less music that stands up to actual listening. Perhaps it's the way it's recorded and produced, or perhaps it just that I'm not as attracted to newer music anymore. Whatever it is, I find myself constantly heading back to older recordings for listening enjoyment.
A lot has to do with the crap that is shoved down everyone's throats by the large recording labels. Good music is becoming much harder to find.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2008, 10:16 PM

While I don't see music simply as a background soundtrack to other activities I am doing I think it *is* much harder to find time to just sit and listen to music. Our world moves so fast that finding time to do just one thing at a time--to single-task as opposed to multi-task--is not easy.

Having said that, I do like to have music playing a lot in my place. Not so much to fill the background but to help "center" the foreground. I usually pick the music I am playing based on my mood and what else I am doing.

As for new music, I get recommendations from friends, hear stuff on the radio (I actually listen to a couple different stations on-line) or see an ad featuring some group that looks interesting. But I would agree with whoever said most mainstream music is crap. Even if I like some big-name mainstream band, when you here a new CD from them there might be two or three good songs on it and the rest is just filler.

As for getting crazy when I hear certain songs or albums . . . yeah, I do that.
I go crazy on air drums when I hear "The Clockwise Witness" from DeVtochKa.
I play air keyboards when I hear "You Can't Always Get What You Want" from the Rolling Stones (air keyboard is weird, I know).
I sing along at the top of my lungs whenever I hear something from James or The Mountain Goats.
I do a weird, Michael-Stipe-like arms-flailing dance to certain R.E.M. songs.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2008, 01:28 AM

I've actually been writing something about this very topic, I just need to polish it before I blog it.

The problem with music today is that it's too convenient to listen to it anywhere. Back in the vinyl days, you had no choice BUT to listen to it. Now you don't have to.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

alligator
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2008, 09:51 AM

I've convinced my wife that she needs to buy me a new turntable for my birthday next week. What a thoughtful wife.

Now, any suggestions on what LPs I should buy first?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2008, 10:05 AM

I listen to music but then given to my age, I still remember when cars came with AM radio as a standard option or you could upgrade to an 8 track player
~Mike

Railroader
Banned
Nov 17, 2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I've convinced my wife that she needs to buy me a new turntable for my birthday next week. What a thoughtful wife.

Now, any suggestions on what LPs I should buy first?

Dark Side of the Moon
( Last edited by Railroader; Nov 17, 2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: I would never recommend the album: Dark Side of the Moom.)

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
So, this came up with a friend last week. Does anyone still actually listen to music, like really listen?
It's a good point. I've gotten strange looks from my friends when they ask what I'm doing and I answer "Just listening to music." I don't do it often, but I find it very enjoyable (not to mention relaxing) to sit on my couch and just listen.

I wouldn't say I use music as background noise (else I wouldn't beat the hell out of my skip button like I do), but I've noticed the difference in my ability to music sample between work and home. The ability to relegate a good amount of my attention just isn't there at work, meaning I don't appreciate or consider what I'm listening to as much as I should.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2008, 03:43 PM

Its probably a sorry excuse, but I don't seem to have the time to really sit down and listen. You work late, drive home (I usually have a news station on), feed and bathe the kids, eat with the misses, clean up, bit of TV or Xbox and then in bed by midnight. Weekends are even busier with entertaining the kids.

The other problem is filtering. Like others have said, there is alot of dross and I don't get the opportunity to goto concerts or clubs to hear new bands.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2008, 04:06 PM

I listen to music. I think it's the best way to relax or decompress or whatever you like to call it. Some people take smoke breaks; I like to take music breaks. But yeah, few people usually understand it. They're like, "Yeah, right. What are you actually doing? Smoking pot?"
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post

Dark Side of the Moon

No doubt. (And a head phone addict's dream)

I love the posters inside.

2nd album to buy: Cheech & Chong's Big Bambu.

As for music listening; it's hard to find the time to really get into an entire album straight through to the end. I try, though.
I do use music for writing by often looping something that 'works'. Same for movies btw. It gets weird.

For road trips I create playlists for every environment.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2008, 04:23 PM

You misquoted him. He specifically said Dark Side of the Moom.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I've been in a forgiving mood lately, so I made a correction. Unless there is a "Dark Side of the Moom"

Maybe that's where the Moops live.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2008, 04:28 PM

Nice.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 17, 2008, 06:24 PM

It's a good point. I've gotten strange looks from my friends when they ask what I'm doing and I answer "Just listening to music." I don't do it often, but I find it very enjoyable (not to mention relaxing) to sit on my couch and just listen.
My wife understands when I do this. I have a whole procedure I go through. I reposition the speakers, place the CDs in the order I want to listen to them, move the remotes away from me, grab a remote that only adjust volume on the receiver... and concentrate. I am usually worn out by the time I am done a couple hours later.

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I've been in a forgiving mood lately, so I made a correction. Unless there is a "Dark Side of the Moom"

Maybe that's where the Moops live.
Nice.
I love you guys.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2008, 06:37 PM

I was about to say that I frequently just listen to music, but on second thoughts, I realised that I don’t really.

I’m always listening to music when I’m at home, regardless of what I’m doing, usually fairly loud music. I pay enough attention to listen to the instruments and keep up with the lyrics (usually in a loud voice). But I’m still doing other things at the same time, like typing this post right now.

I also always listen to music when I’m walking, which I do a lot—I often walk to and from town (a three-mile walk each way) and walk home from work (a five-mile walk) at least once or twice a month—but even then, I’m not just listening to music: I’m also spending a lot of my attention and concentration on just walking, traffic, “Wait, where the hell am I now?” moments, etc.

So all in all, the only time I’m really listening to music is when I’m sitting on the metro with my eyes closed, going to or from work. And then there’s the distraction (albeit blocked out) of the trains and other passengers.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2008, 07:03 PM

I've just listened to the same song for 12 hours straight. Does that count?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2008, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I've just listened to the same song for 12 hours straight. Does that count?
Is that the new ultra-extended version of Innagadda Davida?

or were you slaving over a mixing board working on one song in the studio?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2008, 01:59 AM

I find listening to music as an activity by itself to be very rewarding, and it's not uncommon for me to do so for hours at a time. Sometimes I'll think about things while I'm listening, but often I find that listening to music gives me something that I enjoy to concentrate on and I can completely clear my head of thoughts, which I can't normally do otherwise.

I actually have a hard time with background music. If I try to listen to music when I'm doing something else, I have a hard time focusing and start just listening to the music (depending on what's playing; if I dislike the music or it's not decent quality, then it just gets annoying.) I occasionally do so when doing something mindless like reading MacNN, though.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2008, 03:14 AM

There are certainly some of us that do still "listen" to music. Some of my favourite times have been either relaxing and listening to an album or specific tracks, enjoying an evening spent listening to music with friends, or going for a good drive specifically to listen to music.

calverson
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2008, 05:21 AM

I very much like just sitting, having a drink and a cigarette and listening to music. My favorites to "actually sit down and do nothing but listen" are:

Roger Waters, The Pro's and Con's of Hitchhiking.
Roger Waters, Amused to Death
Radiohead, Kid A
Pink Floyd, The Wall
Pink Floyd, Animals
Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here
King Crimson, In The Court Of The Crimson King
Tool, Ænima
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Deja Vu
NIN, The Fragile

and others, but those are the biggies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules